ADVERTISEMENT

43 hospital ICUs in 21 Florida counties have hit capacity & show 0 beds available

Each hospital has a plan. The DOH has a plan. They are working together. They know more than you. Even if I am dumb, I'm smart enough to understand there's a plan, and I'm smart enough to know the people that developed the plan are smarter than you.
But not smart enough to listen to those same people who say they are facing an emerging crisis. Interesting.

Quoted below is Jay Wolfson, the vice dean of the University of South Florida's medical school.

Through the reopening in May and June, Wolfson said increased hospital use was due only to the backlog of elective and non-essential procedures being caught up. But for the past week he says there's a new added burden of COVID-19 cases that wasn't there before.

"If we experienced the same follow through, from high levels of new positive cases that Arizona and Texas did, then we run the risk of having the super spreaders having created a community spread, and those folks are going to potentially overwhelm our hospitals," he said.

Already, Wolfson said the surge in testing is leading to a lack of kits available for testing hospital staff. In the past few days, state health officials closed testing centers in Pinellas and Hillsborough County, Wolfson said, due to strain on the test supply.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Link? No blue check mark.
Daniel Uhlfelder is a Walton County Florida attorney who is very active in the state and local government's COVID response. He is the same guy who has been on the beaches throughout North Florida in a grim reaper costume.

5eac7cfffc593d2c6c3ca8c5

Latest update for my county, Leon County. Good news is we are rising but not as high as elsewhere and are p to a 5% positive rate.

Bad news is local hospital admissions are now 53, a more than ten fold gain in nine (9) days from the five (5) there on Sunday June 28th. If I am reading this right, our two hospitals have had a total of 69 (awesome, I know) total admitted patients this whole pandemic with 21 admissions in the 3.5 months of early March through June 28 and 48 admissions in the nine days of June 28-July 7.

Neither hospital talking on how many are in ICU...

"Local hospitalizations
The capital county also continues to see more people being hospitalized for the virus. Capital Regional Medical Center reported that 31 people, which is six more than on Monday, are now in the hospital due to the virus.

CRMC spokeswoman Rachel Stiles declined to say how many patients are in intensive care due to COVID-19.

At Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare, 22 people are in-patients at the hospital with the virus. Administrators there said they could not easily report how many people are in the ICU, saying that the number fluctuates rapidly. Yesterday, TMH reported 19 people in the hospital being treated for COVID-19.

The state health department keeps a rolling tally of the number of people hospitalized locally. The number, which is 69, does not decrease as people recover and are released from hospitals. "

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...-leon-more-local-hospitalizations/5389270002/

Here is the other source of where the 5 came from reported July 1st
"Over the weekend, the total number of hospitalized coronavirus patients in Leon County amounted to five. By Wednesday, that number had climbed to 24, according to local hospital officials."

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...eon-sees-39-new-cases-tallahassee/5354589002/

Reactions: FSUTribe76
But not smart enough to listen to those same people who say they are facing an emerging crisis. Interesting.

Quoted below is Jay Wolfson, the vice dean of the University of South Florida's medical school.

Through the reopening in May and June, Wolfson said increased hospital use was due only to the backlog of elective and non-essential procedures being caught up. But for the past week he says there's a new added burden of COVID-19 cases that wasn't there before.

"If we experienced the same follow through, from high levels of new positive cases that Arizona and Texas did, then we run the risk of having the super spreaders having created a community spread, and those folks are going to potentially overwhelm our hospitals," he said.

Already, Wolfson said the surge in testing is leading to a lack of kits available for testing hospital staff. In the past few days, state health officials closed testing centers in Pinellas and Hillsborough County, Wolfson said, due to strain on the test supply.

Test centers in Escambia County were closed July 3, 4, 5. For the holiday, and because demand has tripled in the last 3 weeks.

I'm fairly certain the DoH is aware. That said, all information is good information. No doubt increased cases are showing up in hospitals.

I'll stand by my assertion that the doctors and scientists at the Florida DoH are smarter and better informed than @joesplace.

Last edited:
Daniel Uhlfelder is a Walton County Florida attorney who is very active in the state and local government's COVID response. He is the same guy who has been on the beaches throughout North Florida in a grim reaper costume.

5eac7cfffc593d2c6c3ca8c5

Oh, that nut job.

Thanks.

4 - 6 weeks from now? If the reopening at the beginning of May (10 weeks ago) was responsible, we should have already seen a sharp increase in deaths by now. If Memorial Day (6 weeks ago) was responsible, we should be seeing a sharp increase in deaths now.

I guess 2 weeks just isn't enough for 'I told you so' anymore. If we go out far enough, maybe people will forget the failed predictions.

Keep blaming Trump and slurring his followers. That helps your credibility with all the Trump haters, but doesn't help make your point with anyone else.

2 weeks has become the ‘joke’ but in reality the delay from exposure to death has always been longer. We will likely see an increase in the time between diagnosis and death now as well. Since we are testing people earlier, we will diagnose them earlier in their disease course, leading to an increase in duration from diagnosis to death. Also, if this wave is affecting young people, it might not be until these young people expose a more vulnerable population before we see deaths. It looks like cases started going back up around Jun 14 and hospitalizations followed 1-2 weeks later (See graph below). In every other focal outbreak of this virus, deaths followed within the next several weeks. Maybe this time will be different due to who is getting infected, but I am not as optimistic.

This isn’t directed specifically at you, but I find the people mocking the ‘2 weeks’ mantra as ridiculous because it suggests that nothing has happened in this country yet.

2 weeks has become the ‘joke’ but in reality the delay from exposure to death has always been longer. We will likely see an increase in the time between diagnosis and death now as well. Since we are testing people earlier, we will diagnose them earlier in their disease course, leading to an increase in duration from diagnosis to death. Also, if this wave is affecting young people, it might not be until these young people expose a more vulnerable population before we see deaths. It looks like cases started going back up around Jun 14 and hospitalizations followed 1-2 weeks later (See graph below). In every other focal outbreak of this virus, deaths followed within the next several weeks. Maybe this time will be different due to who is getting infected, but I am not as optimistic.

This isn’t directed specifically at you, but I find the people mocking the ‘2 weeks’ mantra as ridiculous because it suggests that nothing has happened in this country yet.

We're also going to find out how "rare" MIS-C is, after thousands of kids are exposed to this. But it'll be another 3-4 weeks before we know anything.

Two weeks has become the joke because of all the failed predictions based on "just wait two weeks". That's why I went back 10 weeks and 6 weeks in my examples.

Though I agree with you on most things in theory, I think when we disagree it's based on weighing risk and reward. I believe in taking precautions, and focusing on the most vulnerable to getting severely sick or dying. Those demographics haven't changed much at all.

The REALLY scary thing is that this is just the tip of the iceberg thanks to our Magat leadership. The real influx of dead and dying is probably 4-6 weeks from now. All those dumb%*%es who believe Drumpf and Desantis and partied down on the Fourth will be getting sick and giving it to their elderly relatives in a couple of weeks and then a percentage of the “healthy” dumb@$$es will be dying or severely sick in 4-6 weeks as their immune system almost fought it off but their elderly relatives will be sick and dying within two weeks of getting it in a week or three. So August looks like it’s going to be bodybag time thanks to Magat “leadership” and dumb@$$es.
:rolleyes:

So we are moving “2 more weeks” to 4-6 now? Thanks Don Lemon.

Actually, if you followed the science, you'd understand this.

(and, FWIW, it's gonna be a LEAST another 4 weeks before we see the impacts on children in these areas)
I understand most Science although the gender thing gets me. I like anthropology and archaeology but find it worrisome that they’ve always defined past subjects as male of female but I digress. All will be well after November so actually.....4-5 more months.

More fear mongering to scare the ignorant. Hospitals usually operate ICU beds at around 85%+ with most closer to 100% capacity (you’re not supposed to know this or it’s not as easy to mislead and scare you). The number of beds can be expanded well above the listed 100%. There’s 983 ICU beds available in the state. That is approximately 16% available. There are 300+ hospitals in Florida and virtually all have hospital beds available. It’s just more fake news to keep people in constant upheaval.
This is a fact filled statement. The icu's I work in are close to capacity year round.

I understand most Science although the gender thing gets me. I like anthropology and archaeology but find it worrisome that they’ve always defined past subjects as male of female but I digress. All will be well after November so actually.....4-5 more months.
It will all be driven by the media as well. There were very little stories about Covid during the two weeks is the protests then all of a sudden it came back. As soon as Biden wins in November there will never ever be another mention of lockdown by the left or MSM.

It will all be driven by the media as well. There were very little stories about Covid during the two weeks is the protests then all of a sudden it came back. As soon as Biden wins in November there will never ever be another mention of lockdown by the left or MSM.

And I predict this one will be as inaccurate as your March predictions on the virus. And you'll slink away and forget about it, too.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

And I predict this one will be as inaccurate as your March predictions on the virus. And you'll slink away and forget about it, too.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Well the media coverage certainly went away for two weeks in early June for some reason.

This is a fact filled statement. The icu's I work in are close to capacity year round.
I think most people know this since it is how all businesses run involving beds (hotels, colleges etc). You don't want to have too much sitting there never used and be near full. Which is why it does not take all that much to overwhelm the normal capacity and start putting a strain on the hospital and staff.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
I think most people know this since it is how all businesses run involving beds (hotels, colleges etc). You don't want to have too much sitting there never used and be near full. Which is why it does not take all that much to overwhelm the normal capacity and start putting a strain on the hospital and staff.

Plus, nominal ICU stays are only 2-3 days for typical conditions.
Not so for Covid; people are clogging up ICUs for weeks

Default values for hospital stays
Non-ICU 8 days
ICU, no ventilator 10 days
ICU, requiring ventilator 16 days​

Reactions: Urohawk
Latest update from Leon county is good news only one added to hospitals. Bad news is adult ICU at our largest hospital maxed out.

In Leon County, 54 people are hospitalized due to COVID-19, which is one more than on Tuesday.

Separately, at least 60 people are in intensive care units, though it is unclear how many of these people have been diagnosed with the coronavirus, according to the Agency for Health Care Administration. Referred to as AHCA, the agency is responsible for the licensure of health care facilities and tracks hospitalization data from facilities across Florida.

On Wednesday, 28 people were hospitalized at Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare because of the virus, according to spokeswoman Danielle Buchanan. This is six more people who have been hospitalized than on Tuesday.

Buchanan declined to say how many ICU beds are occupied by COVID-19 patients, saying ICU bed availability fluctuates throughout the day. She added TMH has a separate unit dedicated to COVID-19 patients.

Of 46 ICU beds at TMH, all are occupied, according to AHCA data. The agency reports six pediatric ICU beds are available at TMH

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...-leon-county-89-case-jump-jackson/5396712002/

Bingo. In February my grandfather had an episode with internal bleeding. We had trouble finding an open bed in Omaha for him. They finally found one open ICU bed thank God. I will say that during his 4 day stay, there were times that we as a family were able to hang out next door as beds opened up. But to think finding ICU beds during “normal” times isn’t difficult at times is simply fear mongering or just not knowing.

That's someone taking up an ICU bed but that doesnt count in a hospitals ICU patient count. He would be on floor status and wouldn't count as an ICU patient.

Should also note that a typical ICU stay is about 3 days.

Covid patients are clogging up beds for 1-3 weeks at a time, so it's not like this problem "clears up" per normal ICU turnover rates...

The REALLY scary thing is that this is just the tip of the iceberg thanks to our Magat leadership. The real influx of dead and dying is probably 4-6 weeks from now. All those dumb%*%es who believe Drumpf and Desantis and partied down on the Fourth will be getting sick and giving it to their elderly relatives in a couple of weeks and then a percentage of the “healthy” dumb@$$es will be dying or severely sick in 4-6 weeks as their immune system almost fought it off but their elderly relatives will be sick and dying within two weeks of getting it in a week or three. So August looks like it’s going to be bodybag time thanks to Magat “leadership” and dumb@$$es.

What if they party down in July, but don’t visit their elderly relatives who continue to strictly observe protocols?

When first the articles came out discussing flattening the curve the view was 70% of the population was going to get this virus.
It has to burn through the healthiest part of our population, right?
When discussing flattening the curve, was your expectation that you yourself would never get this virus?
Or is there still the idea we’re going to stop it in it’s tracks, like New Zealand or some other tiny corner of the world instead of its hub?

What if they party down in July, but don’t visit their elderly relatives who continue to strictly observe protocols?

When first the articles came out discussing flattening the curve the view was 70% of the population was going to get this virus.
It has to burn through the healthiest part of our population, right?
When discussing flattening the curve, was your expectation that you yourself would never get this virus?
Or is there still the idea we’re going to stop it in it’s tracks, like New Zealand or some other tiny corner of the world instead of its hub?

You should know in 4 - 6 weeks. :cool::p

The way a lot of the tweets and stories go is that the ICU's are filled with COVID-19 people. That's not the case. When it does happen to be the case, it's not necessarily due to critical care, but because it's easier to isolate people, and more efficient for PPE use. I posted a quote from the Ascension Sacred Heart Group on this a few days ago. There was a huge backup of 'elective' surgeries that still aren't caught up. Lots of heart patients.

Last edited:
Santa Rosa County had it's first death in 10 weeks a couple of days ago. It was a 24 year old male. The relatives all said he was a little overweight, but healthy. In today's news, there was no indication in the media he had any serious conditions other than being obese. What was curious is the family said he only had symptoms for 2 or 3 days before he died.

Latest update for my county, Leon County. Good news is we are rising but not as high as elsewhere and are p to a 5% positive rate.

Bad news is local hospital admissions are now 53, a more than ten fold gain in nine (9) days from the five (5) there on Sunday June 28th. If I am reading this right, our two hospitals have had a total of 69 (awesome, I know) total admitted patients this whole pandemic with 21 admissions in the 3.5 months of early March through June 28 and 48 admissions in the nine days of June 28-July 7.

Neither hospital talking on how many are in ICU...

"Local hospitalizations
The capital county also continues to see more people being hospitalized for the virus. Capital Regional Medical Center reported that 31 people, which is six more than on Monday, are now in the hospital due to the virus.

CRMC spokeswoman Rachel Stiles declined to say how many patients are in intensive care due to COVID-19.

At Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare, 22 people are in-patients at the hospital with the virus. Administrators there said they could not easily report how many people are in the ICU, saying that the number fluctuates rapidly. Yesterday, TMH reported 19 people in the hospital being treated for COVID-19.

The state health department keeps a rolling tally of the number of people hospitalized locally. The number, which is 69, does not decrease as people recover and are released from hospitals. "

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...-leon-more-local-hospitalizations/5389270002/

Here is the other source of where the 5 came from reported July 1st
"Over the weekend, the total number of hospitalized coronavirus patients in Leon County amounted to five. By Wednesday, that number had climbed to 24, according to local hospital officials."

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...eon-sees-39-new-cases-tallahassee/5354589002/
“The number (official cases) DOES NOT DECREASE as people recover and are released from hospitals.”

Medical fraud combined with blatant fear mongering. These people belong in jail.

That's someone taking up an ICU bed but that doesnt count in a hospitals ICU patient count. He would be on floor status and wouldn't count as an ICU patient.
My point was that it’s hard to find ICU beds at other points of time not during a pandemic.

Reactions: Finance85
Florida reporting 119 deaths. Highest so far and like Arizona this week, first time crossing 100 mark.
Previous high was 83 reported deaths on April 28th. Almost another 9k cases Reported. With almost 233,000 cases, if Florida was a country, we would be ranked 12th. Of course New York would be 5th.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT