ADVERTISEMENT

A 9-hour drive in Toyota's new electric SUV showed me how brutal EV road trips can be with the wrong car.

We won't need them for most transportation for anywhere near that long.
How do you think we will charge all of those EVs in 10 years? We aren’t building enough nuclear power plants. You must have higher expectations for wind and solar over the next 10 years.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
How do you think we will charge all of those EVs in 10 years? We aren’t building enough nuclear power plants. You must have higher expectations for wind and solar over the next 10 years.

I do for solar in particular. I want my home charger to be solar.

Is it impossible to design something like old headlights on a corvette that flip up when turned on but instead of a light install small fan blades that spin when driving to help maintain a charge on an EV?

Yes.
This is, indeed, impossible.

#AnotherPublicEducationFail

With Tesla chargers, one can see how many stalls at the charging station and how many are occupied.

Typical Supercharger is 30-40 minutes.

That has not been my experience with thr Model Y. It is super easy. Wherever you want to go, you just plug in the destination. The car will determine a route and show charging stations along the way. It will show how much charge you start with, how much charge you will have when you get to the station, how long the charge will be and what percentage you will be at when you proceed again, not typical to charge to 100%, just however much you need to proceed, normally 70-80%. This all happens within about 2 seconds of entering a destination. The navigation and route planning is all free, no subscription to any third party service.

Lithium is plentiful. India just found the third largest deposit in the world just by looking around.

Then there is Lithium here in the US. California site dubbed the “Lithium Valley”

The sunbaked valley has one of the world's largest lithium deposits, leading to the moniker "Lithium Valley." The California Energy Commission estimates there’s enough lithium in the Imperial Valley to meet all of the United States' projected demand and 40% of the world’s demand.

No

Redwood Materials.

They have already come a long way.

I'd posted about the Salton Sea many times here.
No one seems to be able to remember it on the MAGA side...

Someone had to take a road trip to figure this out? This exact reason is why I don't own one and my next vehicle will be a hybrid unless soon there is a miraculous jump in batter technology.
Next thing you're gonna tell me, is that "batter technology" is still in the "wooden sticks" age....

#MLB

Dat front end though...

V6TWSN3BM5CCLCPMPO27L2IKZ4.jpg

Actually a friend of mine has one. It's quite nice (especially from the inside where you can't see the front).

Reactions: hawkosx
#Rivian
#FordF-150
One YouTuber learned the hard way that towing a heavy load is more complicated with an electric truck than a gasoline-powered one.

In a recent video on his Hoovie's Garage channel, Tyler Hoover put the towing capability of his Ford F-150 Lightning to the test — and he called the experience a "complete and total disaster." The saga illustrates one of the challenges to owning a battery-powered truck: towing range.

Hoover charged up his Lightning to 200 miles (almost all of its 230-mile range) and set out for a trip to his mechanic 32 miles away to pick up a 1930 Ford Model A and tow it home. As soon as Hoover set out pulling an empty trailer, the Lightning's range started "dropping like a stone."

In the end, the 64-mile journey sucked up 150 miles of range from the Lightning's battery.

"The truck towing 3,500 pounds can't even go 100 miles," he said. "That is ridiculously stupid. This truck can't do normal truck things."

Other towing tests with EV trucks have yielded similar, though less dramatic, results.

Car and Driver hitched a 6,100-pound camper to each of the three electric pickups on the market: the F-150 Lightning, GMC Hummer EV, and Rivian R1T. At 70 mph in 85-degree conditions, maximum range dropped to 100 miles for the Ford, 140 miles for the Hummer, and 110 miles for the Rivian.

One YouTuber learned the hard way that towing a heavy load is more complicated with an electric truck than a gasoline-powered one.

In a recent video on his Hoovie's Garage channel, Tyler Hoover put the towing capability of his Ford F-150 Lightning to the test — and he called the experience a "complete and total disaster." The saga illustrates one of the challenges to owning a battery-powered truck: towing range.

Hoover charged up his Lightning to 200 miles (almost all of its 230-mile range) and set out for a trip to his mechanic 32 miles away to pick up a 1930 Ford Model A and tow it home. As soon as Hoover set out pulling an empty trailer, the Lightning's range started "dropping like a stone."

In the end, the 64-mile journey sucked up 150 miles of range from the Lightning's battery.

"The truck towing 3,500 pounds can't even go 100 miles," he said. "That is ridiculously stupid. This truck can't do normal truck things."

Other towing tests with EV trucks have yielded similar, though less dramatic, results.

Car and Driver hitched a 6,100-pound camper to each of the three electric pickups on the market: the F-150 Lightning, GMC Hummer EV, and Rivian R1T. At 70 mph in 85-degree conditions, maximum range dropped to 100 miles for the Ford, 140 miles for the Hummer, and 110 miles for the Rivian.

SIAP

This is why they sell trailers with battery packs, included.

Agree, EV's are definitely the future but right now there are so many issues that I couldn't see myself buying one. Range is my primary issue. I want a minimum range of 500 miles in the dead of winter while comfortably heating the cabin. There currently isn't such an EV. And then there are the unknowns such as life of the battery and the cost to replace it, and the reduced range over time as a function of the number of times you charge the battery. And finally there is the matter of purchase cost compared to a same size gas-powered car. Just not willing to pay the extra money for an EV and have to put up with all of its inconveniences.

Agree, EV's are definitely the future but right now there are so many issues that I couldn't see myself buying one. Range is my primary issue. I want a minimum range of 500 miles in the dead of winter while comfortably heating the cabin. There currently isn't such an EV. And then there are the unknowns such as life of the battery and the cost to replace it, and the reduced range over time as a function of the number of times you charge the battery. And finally there is the matter of purchase cost compared to a same size gas-powered car. Just not willing to pay the extra money for an EV and have to put up with all of its inconveniences.
What are you driving now that has a range of 500 miles in the dead of winter? A semi?

For me it is the range, especially in the cold. 95% of the time the range would be fine but the 5% for me is a nonnegotiable requirement.

What are you driving now that has a range of 500 miles in the dead of winter? A semi?
I can get 450 or so with my x3, if the miles are purely highway. It is the recharge time which is the issue. Again, I am rooting for advances and look forward to an EV, when it meets my needs.

Why don't you poors just buy two cars? Gas/Hybrid for when the family truckster is needed. EV for the trips that make up 90% of what we do in vehicles.

Agree, EV's are definitely the future but right now there are so many issues that I couldn't see myself buying one. Range is my primary issue. I want a minimum range of 500 miles in the dead of winter while comfortably heating the cabin.

Most gas vehicles cannot do this. Typical vehicles can go from 350-400 miles on a tank.

Why don't you poors just buy two cars? Gas/Hybrid for when the family truckster is needed. EV for the trips that make up 90% of what we do in vehicles.

Meh, most people could get electric vehicles. Market is out there for a' start up company which delivers a gassed up SUV/minivan to your front door for your long family trips. You might say rental companies already do this but they're not efficient. I have to drive 30 minutes to get a reasonable rental care at the airport.

Reactions: billanole

You’re prolly also gonna post that MPG was not affected by ICE trucks pulling the same load.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT