ADVERTISEMENT

A 9-hour drive in Toyota's new electric SUV showed me how brutal EV road trips can be with the wrong car.

A YouTuber with 1.4 million followers attempted to tow a 1930 Ford Model A truck with his brand new 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck, but it ended in “a complete and total disaster.” “If a truck towing 3,500 pounds can’t even go 100 miles — that is ridiculously stupid,” Tyler “Hoovie” Hoover says in his video. “This truck can’t do normal truck things. You would be stopping every hour to recharge, which would take about 45 minutes a pop, and that is absolutely not practical.”
Buy the right ride for the job. You are in a tizzy like someone pissed that their moped won’t take the family cross state for the reunion.
The number of non professionals towing that type of load is minimal. Sure, big campers or boats get routinely towed, but the right ride for that tow is available.

Buy the right ride for the job. You are in a tizzy like someone pissed that their moped won’t take the family cross state for the reunion.
The number of non professionals towing that type of load is minimal. Sure, big campers or boats get routinely towed, but the right ride for that tow is available.

NC lacks the ability to apply any critical thinking to his posts. He uses all he has between his ears to keep up with is accounts.

I can get 450 or so with my x3, if the miles are purely highway. It is the recharge time which is the issue. Again, I am rooting for advances and look forward to an EV, when it meets my needs.

How often do you stop at a gas station every year? How many times a year would you have to interrupt a road trip to recharge an EV with a 250 mile range?

95% yes I could refuel (recharge) at home. For the 5%, no.
So 95% of the time you have no need to stop to refuel.

For the vast majority the time it takes to go to a refueling location will be less with an EV. Where it takes more time are on the relatively rare (for most people) longer trips.

To each their own though.

For the vast majority the time it takes to go to a refueling location will be less with an EV. Where it takes more time are on the relatively rare (for most people) longer trips.

Yep. The one painful experience tops convenience the rest of the year.

It’s not the daily grind that is the issue, it is when I have to hit the road. But as some have said, we have other ponies in the stable. My wife and I could switch cars if need be. I am just a little leery that the tech isn’t quite there. It’s kind of like when there were 50 inch DLP 720p TVs which were amazing at the time. Shit, we paid 2500 for one about 15 years ago, but it is garbage now, and they don’t make them anymore. I don’t need a new car but when I do in 5 years or so, the tech will be more advanced and mature.

It’s not the daily grind that is the issue, it is when I have to hit the road. But as some have said, we have other ponies in the stable. My wife and I could switch cars if need be. I am just a little leery that the tech isn’t quite there. It’s kind of like when there were 50 inch DLP 720p TVs which were amazing at the time. Shit, we paid 2500 for one about 15 years ago, but it is garbage now, and they don’t make them anymore. I don’t need a new car but when I do in 5 years or so, the tech will be more advanced and mature.
I think you are right about the advances we can expect but it's not a reason to avoid the advantages of the current technology. Watching TV on a crappy 4:3 standard def TV because there might be a better option in 10 years doesn't make sense to me. That said, I recognize there are a lot of people who don't want to spend money on things they think will not be state of the art for long. I'm not sure when they decide to jump in though as there will always be a newer technology in the future.

Reactions: Tenacious E

Also, sometimes I rent a car when I have a cross country trip just to avoid piling miles onto my car. That is another option for folks who have one or two road trips a year and don’t want to deal with the unknowns regarding charging.

I just don’t see that we need any major advances in batteries for EVs to be the norm. We need more charging stations, moderately faster charging, and more EV owners who can relate their anecdotes that the trade off is way better than they anticipated.

So when I charge my car at home from electricity created by the burning of fossil fuels, is that really better for the environment?

Yes, a 100% coal powered electricity generating power plant is much more efficient than using a gasoline powered ICE car. Also, EVs are simply far more efficient at using energy.

ICE autos turn approximately 20-30% of the energy source into forward motion, most energy is lost due to ICE inefficiency and heat loss. Whereas EVs turn over 90% of energy into forward motion.

It simply isn’t even close. Great question.

Reactions: artradley
Yes, a 100% coal powered electricity generating power plant is much more efficient than using a gasoline powered ICE car. Also, EVs are simply far more efficient at using energy.

ICE autos turn approximately 20-30% of the energy source into forward motion, most energy is lost due to ICE inefficiency and heat loss. Whereas EVs turn over 90% of energy into forward motion.

It simply isn’t even close. Great question.
Can the manufacturer or the government or some other entity remotely control functions of the vehicle? Are there subscriptions for what most people would consider a standard feature like cruise control? Is that an optional feature that can be remotely controlled? What about actual use of the car? I’m theory could you be limited in how far you can drive in a week/month/year? Could the government use your car like your phone to track you? Could your information be sold to where you shop? Where you eat?

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
Can the manufacturer or the government or some other entity remotely control functions of the vehicle? Are there subscriptions for what most people would consider a standard feature like cruise control? Is that an optional feature that can be remotely controlled? What about actual use of the car? I’m theory could you be limited in how far you can drive in a week/month/year? Could the government use your car like your phone to track you? Could your information be sold to where you shop? Where you eat?
No.

Are you under the impression that EVs are the only connected vehicles where new business models or controls are feasible? All of the above is technically possible for both EVs and ICE vehicles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT