ADVERTISEMENT

A 9-hour drive in Toyota's new electric SUV showed me how brutal EV road trips can be with the wrong car.

Pete Malloy

HR All-American
Oct 14, 2022
Trendy Waterbury Neighborhood - Des Moines
  • I drove the new Toyota bZ4X electric SUV from New York to Washington DC, and back.
  • The nine-hour drive involved three hours of charging.
  • I learned the hard way that sometimes you need to choose between staying warm and maximizing range.
Electric cars are quick, quiet, and kind to the planet, but limited range and lengthy charging times mean road trips aren't exactly their strong suit.

That's what I learned when I took Toyota's new bZ4X SUV from New York to Washington D.C. one weekend in early April. The 500-mile journey wasn't some epic coast-to-coast adventure, but rather the kind of long-haul drive someone might casually take a few times per year and not think twice about — if they're behind the wheel of a regular gas car.

t's nerd out for just one moment to establish some basic concepts.

Every EV has a maximum charging rate, expressed in kilowatts (kW), that governs the amount of power it can accept from roadside fast chargers. For the bZ4X AWD I tested, that's an uncompetitive 100 kW. The higher an EV's rating, the faster you can hypothetically charge — so long as you find a charging plug whose rating is equal or greater.

But you don't always achieve that max charge rate due to the charger, the temperature of the battery, or, in my case, settings built into the vehicle itself. During my trip, the car never got close to 100 kW, leading to some excruciating charging times.

Toyota engineered the SUV to prioritize battery longevity, a spokesperson said, which means putting a damper on fast charging, which can accelerate battery wear.

On the way down to D.C, I pulled into an Electrify America station with a 37% charge, looking to add just enough energy to make it the rest of the way. The Toyota refused to pull more than 35 kW, so just getting to 74% took a full 45 minutes of waiting around — not exactly something you want to do at night when you still have hours of driving ahead of you.

That stint added 95 miles of range, according to the SUV's estimates. But highway speeds sap energy quickly, so in real-world terms, it was probably more like 75.

On the return trip, I stopped at an EVgo station with 6% remaining. This time, the Toyota wouldn't budge past 50 kW, so charging to 80% took an agonizing hour and 15 minutes.

Total it all up and charging stops added two hours of travel time to the roughly nine-hour trip.

But this experience isn't universal. Teslas charge quickly and benefit from an expansive, private charging network. Some Hyundai batteries can charge to nearly full in the time it takes to find a bathroom and grab some beef jerky. Many vehicles beat the Toyota's so-so 222-mile range, cutting down the frequency and urgency of pit stops.

You need to leave yourself a big range buffer

Each time I charged up, I made sure to create a comfortable buffer between the distance Google Maps said I had left and the Toyota's remaining range, as indicated on its screen. I've run out of range too far from a charging station before, and it wasn't fun.

That turned out to be a savvy move. Factors like high speeds, inclines, and — as we'll discuss in more detail later — use of the climate settings can deplete an EV's range faster than expected. So unless you know your EV well, don't blindly trust what it tells you.

Here's an example. When I left the Electrify America station in New Jersey and set off for DC, the Toyota indicated 188 miles of range— plenty to drive the 138 miles remaining, right? Nope.

I watched my beautiful buffer wither away to just 11 miles by the time I arrived, triggering an unsettling message telling me to charge soon. A couple of wrong turns dropped my final range to just nine miles.

Since charging stations aren't nearly as abundant or well-marked as gas pumps, you need to carefully plot out your pit stops in advance to avoid a bad time.

Prepare to choose between comfort and range

A combustion-engine car creates heat as a byproduct, so cranking up the radiator is no big deal. But electric cars use energy from their batteries to make heat, leaving drivers choosing between maximum range and maximum comfort.

I hit the road back to New York on a chilly morning with 176 miles of range. When I went to turn on the heat, the indicated range plummeted to 125 miles. The options became: Stay toasty and charge twice, or endure the cold and stick with the planned one-stop strategy. Given the bZ4X's lackluster range and my previous, lengthy experiences charging it, I went with the latter.

I bundled up and relied mostly on the seat and steering-wheel warmers (which are more efficient than the regular heater) to make things almost bearable. I'd be lying if I said I didn't curse these silly electric cars under my breath once or twice.

But the electric future seems inevitable at this point, so we might as well learn to live with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
I can't remember, are you into gas or electric powered plugs Pete?

product-image-1045302804_1200x1200.gif

This is my concern about EV’s. We take several road trips a year. May have to have a hybrid for that in the future. An EV wouldn’t be bad for just commuting and every day use though. Charge it at home and work and never have to stop at Casey’s except for pizza…

Reactions: Torg
This is my concern about EV’s. We take several road trips a year. May have to have a hybrid for that in the future. An EV wouldn’t be bad for just commuting and every day use though. Charge it at home and work and never have to stop at Casey’s except for pizza…
For people who regularly take long trips, a plug-in hybrid looks like a great choice. First 40-50 miles driven are pure electric, and can be fully recharged in a couple hours or overnight at home.

Very, very few people need more than 240 miles of range. But Biden is installing 500k new high-power public chargers so even driving long trips shouldn't be too big a deal in a couple years.

They have supercharger stations popping up everywhere. Not much longer and you’ll be able to fully charge in 15-20 minutes. Just fyi.

I commute 25 miles each way to work. 50 miles per day. I wouldn’t buy a new full size suv. I don’t want to pay the extra cost for a vehicle that gets 15 mpg. Instead, I drive a Kia Niro Hybrid. It does exactly what I need it to do. It gets me back and forth and if I watch my speed, gets close to 50 mpg.

Everyone needs to look at their driving habits and buy what’s best for them. If Im going to do frequent 500 mile trips, I wouldn’t buy an electric vehicle until there are more charging stations. If I were buying a new vehicle to drive to work, you bet your ass I’d buy electric. My commute is perfect.

Everyone needs to buy what’s best for them. Frequently that’s not an EV. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone bagging on EVs when they don’t work for an application. Don’t buy one then.

“Electric cars are quick, quiet, and kind to the planet, but limited range and lengthy charging times mean road trips aren't exactly their strong suit.”

Article could have ended there.

For most people, EV’s have plenty of range, and their lower maintenance, combined with no more trips to the gas station, make them a superior option to ICE. But apartment dwellers, folks who haul boats or trailers, and folks who regularly go on long trips will find the lack of infrastructure and lengthy charge times prohibitive.

So over the next ten years we will probably see a growing number of EVs for those to whom it makes sense, and improved infrastructure and charge rates. By then probably 80% of Americas will be good candidates for an EV. In twenty years ICEs will be relics.

And it will all be because of capitalism. EVs will simply make more sense to most people.

Pass Biden’s infrastructure bill ( we did) and plenty more are coming. It takes time but sooner or later, Americans will figure it out.
We have moved on from horse and buggies…
We can’t even manufacture the batteries without destroying the environment. Disposal of the batteries is a joke as we have warehouses full of the leaking things. Our electric grids are not able to handle the current 6% of EV’s that currently need charging. Our first responders can’t even put a fire out when one just blows up for no reason.

We are about 50 years away from being feasible with something similar to today’s EV’s.

Our electric grids are not able to handle the current 6% of EV’s that currently need charging.
I used to think this would be a problem, but as California has shown, EV charging is done almost entirely in off-peak hours.

Strange? Since Cali has asked people to not charge vehicles overnight or during rolling brownouts.
California asked people not to charge their vehicles between 4pm and 9pm, not overnight. Overnight is off-peak.

Pass Biden’s infrastructure bill ( we did) and plenty more are coming. It takes time but sooner or later, Americans will figure it out.
We have moved on from horse and buggies…

Literally what "infrastructure investment" means.

But Komrade Pete doesn't want you to know this; he wants you buying Russian and Saudi gas to prop up his employers.

We can’t even manufacture the batteries without destroying the environment. Disposal of the batteries is a joke as we have warehouses full of the leaking things. Our electric grids are not able to handle the current 6% of EV’s that currently need charging. Our first responders can’t even put a fire out when one just blows up for no reason.

We are about 50 years away from being feasible with something similar to today’s EV’s.

You are badly misinformed.

Strange? Since Cali has asked people to not charge vehicles overnight or during rolling brownouts.

Tesla EV owners, solar, and battery customers helped the Cali grid during brownouts.

As per an active tracker of the California Virtual Power Plant on LastBulb, there have been ten events between August 17, 2022 and September 9, 2022 where the system was tapped to support the grid. Overall, the tracker estimates that ~577 MWh was contributed by the system during grid events in 2022, which is quite impressive for a pilot program.

Overall, each home that took part during the grid events last year seemed to have contributed an average of ~15 kWh to the grid per event. This is quite manageable, especially if the grid events happened during times when a home’s Powerwall batteries were also storing energy from solar panels. Overall, LastBulb estimates that the system was able to provide ~84 MWh of potential backup energy per event.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
For people who regularly take long trips, a plug-in hybrid looks like a great choice. First 40-50 miles driven are pure electric, and can be fully recharged in a couple hours or overnight at home.

Very, very few people need more than 240 miles of range. But Biden is installing 500k new high-power public chargers so even driving long trips shouldn't be too big a deal in a couple years.
Unless there are massive breakthroughs with batteries, I don’t know how a family could not have, at a minimum, a hybrid.

Here you go

Enter vehicle type, starting location, and end location. Hope it helps. :)

According to that website, my typical drive to North Carolina in a Chevy Spark starting at a 90 percent charge would take 17 hours and 33 minutes, with four hours and 39 minutes of charging time, and a mind-blowing 14 (count 'em... FOURTEEN) charging stops.

I can make the trip in the Tradmobile in about 8 hours with one stop for gas.

Plenty of charging stations along the route, though.

According to that website, my typical drive to North Carolina in a Chevy Spark starting at a 90 percent charge would take 17 hours and 33 minutes, with four hours and 39 minutes of charging time, and a mind-blowing 14 (count 'em... FOURTEEN) charging stops.

Yeah that dog isn’t going to hunt.

And a chevy spark holds 1 malnutritioned person and a carry on bag.

EVs are perfectly adequate to go around town or to run short errands.

Timed a fuel stop in our personal car and it takes approximately four minutes. No contest.

There are two factors that come in to play that may not be considered by the buyer:

• What power is used to charge the car?
  • How are the batteries made and what happens when they are disposed?
Unless you have your own solar generator, the likelihood is that the electric car is actually being charged by coal or gas power, which are the most prevalent power generating stations in the world. They are also the most heavily polluting. We are not saying that one or two electric cars will create an issue, but the addition of hundreds of thousands or millions will put a strain on these plants, increasing pollution on their end.

Along with that, the nickel-hydride batteries that are in electric cars are created in a number of heavy polluting processes like nickel mining. The nickel-hydride batteries also contain possible carcinogens, according to How Stuff Works. To complete the battery construction process, they are shipped all over the world which adds additional pollutants.

Disposal of the batteries are also an issue. With toxic materials within, the incorrect disposal by a junkyard or manufacturer could destroy the ecosystem of an area for generations.

Last edited:

Honest to goodness, never heard of a Chevy Spark EV. Is it a full EV or hybrid? What size is the battery pack?

Try a model 3 long range on that same trip.

Starting at 90% charge, Tallahassee, FL to Charlotte, NC is 757 km in 8 hours 46 min, 2 stops, 20 min total charge time. Better?

Reactions: billanole
Honest to goodness, never heard of a Chevy Spark EV. Is it a full EV or hybrid? What size is the battery pack?

Try a model 3 long range on that same trip.

Starting at 90% charge, Tallahassee, FL to Charlotte, NC is 757 km in 8 hours 46 min, 2 stops, 20 min total charge time. Better?
You need to factor in the $30,000.00 price tag difference between the Spark and Model 3 which would buy a lot of fuel.

Also if you run the heater or the AC or even the radio you won't get that much range out of the model 3.

It’s a Bolt. Not a Spark. Spark is all gas. Bolt is all electric.

I would consider a Bolt as a commuter and an introduction to EV but not sure what qualifies for the $7,500 starting next week.

You need to factor in the $30,000.00 price tag difference between the Spark and Model 3 which would buy a lot of fuel.

Also if you run the heater or the AC or even the radio you won't get that much range out of the model 3.

Not in every state and not factoring in EV tax breaks or rebates.

The Model 3 RWD, for example, has a purchase price of $43,490. With a Federal Tax Credit of $7,500; the Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate of $2,500; the Oregon Charge Ahead Rebate of $5,000; and local incentives of $100-$1,500, electric vehicle buyers in the state could acquire a base Tesla Model 3 for just about $26,990-$28,390.

Current Model 3 Rear Wheel Drive is $42K before incentives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT