ADVERTISEMENT

A Des Moines school is going to win the title again in football I see

Guys - I hate to break it to you, but enrollment has ZERO to do with Dowling's dominance. Dowling has one of the smallest enrollments in Class 4A sports. Schools like Lincoln, Iowa City West, and Valley have double the enrollments of Dowling. Hick towns Muscatine and Marshalltown even have higher enrollments than Dowling. Heck, Dowling doesn't even have their own stadium, and have to rent neighboring venues.

The fact is, Dowling hires the best coaches and has a much higher participation rate for their students. Kids that go to Dowling, on average, are significantly more disciplined and dedicated than other schools, like comparing the Stanford student body with Florida State's.

Knowing quite a few Dowling grads I hate to break it to you but, this is not the case.

My son is in 5th grade and has been playing flag football. I think we are going to be switching to cross country next year when the 6th grade team moves to pads/helmets. He isn't the most athletic kid, but can run for days. No sense putting him on the football field when he doesn't have a future in that area.
Because it's about success? What if he wants to be on the team playing or not? Isn't it about having fun?

My buddy teaches and coaches at Valley. He told me they have a "period" during the school day when athletes get to train. I believe he said it started this year?

My buddy teaches and coaches at Valley. He told me they have a "period" during the school day when athletes get to train. I believe he said it started this year?
It’s an off period for those who do early bird PE so they can get out of class an hour early. It’s been around for years it’s nothing new. Before it was offered to upperclassmen as first come now I think it’s athletes.

Reactions: EBL#7
That was my thought, too.

I'm going to tell all my kids to quit all their sports and stop with their singing, dancing and playing their musical instruments. After all - none of them have a future in professional sports or on Broadway.

You are forced to specialize in a sport by age 12 if you want to play in a large urban school. True for music too

The decision for Valley not to split happened many years ago. They decided a 9th grade building was more cost effective than splitting into 2 high schools. Valley will not get any bigger as they are land locked and their is no more room for development unlike Ankeny and Waukee.
And you have Dallas Center Grimes who is a big 3A with Grimes growing like weeds. It won't be long till they will be 4A, and with Grimes not being land locked I can see them booming.

Watched my Cougs for the first time against Dowling. Proud of the boys. Dowling was just better, and looked to have a ton of FBS talent.

Reactions: SPGroth
I think that recruiting is pretty obviously the determining factor as to why Dowling is able to even be a moderately successful high school football program year in and year out, let alone a perennial state champion.

Please tell me about all of the recruits?

You do realize the best football players might actually CHOOSE a school like Dowling on their own rather than play for whatever school their address dictates they'd go to?

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
This sounds to me like just a hateful comment made toward private schools. Of course private schools have to "recruit," since no student is "forced" to go there based on geography, and some people need convincing to decide to pay $6000+/yr to send their kid to school vs. sending them to public school for free.

If you're suggesting that these schools are doing things unethically to bring students in to pad their sports teams, I'd like a little proof.

Please name all impact athletes at Xavier over the past several years who were not members of a Cedar Rapids area catholic parish since before they were old enough to play football. Then name all of these students who were given free tuition or some other subsidy/benefit that they would not otherwise qualify for, but an exception was made because that student was good at sports. Then, if it's not too much trouble, please compare the athletic facilities at Xavier to those of the Cedar Rapids area public schools, so I can get an understanding of how superior they are.

I've heard that Xavier also does pretty well with their band, choir and other arts programs. Are these students also being recruited from all over Eastern Iowa and given double-secret free tuition, too?

I look forward to your response.

Their band, choir, and arts programs are NOWHERE near what the public programs are in the area.

It’s an off period for those who do early bird PE so they can get out of class an hour early. It’s been around for years it’s nothing new. Before it was offered to upperclassmen as first come now I think it’s athletes.
I had a weightlifting class daily over the lunch hour 20 years ago at a class A/1A school. It happens at a lot of schools.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
Their band, choir, and arts programs are NOWHERE near what the public programs are in the area.

Guess they better start recruiting better LOL.

BTW - Xavier's top show choir and jazz band could hang with anyone in Eastern Iowa most years. Considering the difference in enrollment and resources, it's actually pretty amazing.

Guess they better start recruiting better LOL.

BTW - Xavier's top show choir and jazz band could hang with anyone in Eastern Iowa most years. Considering the difference in enrollment and resources, it's actually pretty amazing.

Not to hijack the thread (or turn it in to a pissing match), but Linn-Mar, Kennedy, and Jeff all are far ahead of them annually, especially in SC. Not bashing Xavier, as you said they have a lot less kids so logic would dictate....and they still do a fine job.
Humorously, it's a like a culture thing there too. I've seen half the parents leave a LM football game after half because the band is done! :)

Reactions: 2bagger22
Norwalk too will likely be 4A soon.
Probably Carlisle as well. I graduated from Dallas Center Grimes way back in 1982. We were a 1A school and in the same conference as Waukee who was also a 1A school at that time. Norwalk I think was 2A for the first 3 years and I believe had moved up to 3A my senior year. I think Norwalk growth had stagnated, but is growing again. But man has Waukee grown. LOL

Probably Carlisle as well. I graduated from Dallas Center Grimes way back in 1982. We were a 1A school and in the same conference as Waukee who was also a 1A school at that time. Norwalk I think was 2A for the first 3 years and I believe had moved up to 3A my senior year. I think Norwalk growth had stagnated, but is growing again. But man has Waukee grown. LOL

Yeah Waukee is on another level.

Van Meter is going to keep growing really really fast out there on the west side as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotthawk1964
That's one of the keys for sure.

The other is you'll find the whole Dowling team working out together at 6:30 AM if not earlier. But you won't just see the football team doing that. You'll see almost all sports teams arriving pre-dawn for team workouts and individual drills.

You guys can all hate on Catholic schools all you want and blame "recruiting" if that's your crutch (Gavin Williams CHOSE to transfer by the way) but the truth is the parents and the kids all make sports a priority.

Can all families do this? No, unfortunately not. Some kids aren't in a situation where they can eat healthy meals whenever they want. Some kids don't have a car that is reliable enough to get them to school on their own, or they don't have parents with a flexible schedule to shuttle them back and forth. Many families can't afford to send their kids to camps where they develop more skills, proper attitudes towards work, etc. This doesn't mean it is all about money and resources, as many less-privileged kids *CAN* figure out how to help each other and carpool. But that's often orchestrated by a coach or coaches who help to get the kids organized and get them to buy in to the team goals.

Anyway, most people here are just blinded by their jealousy. Many aren't successful in their own lives, so they don't realize that it is a ton of HARD WORK that goes into being successful. Much easier to blame some obscure "recruiting" boogeyman.
Bingo!!

I've not seen the side lines of a DM school, but the CR schools are hurting for numbers. I think Wash had trouble fielding a sophmore team this past year. Xavier's sideline has twice the number of players of any other CR school they play. When Kennedy played Dowling four years ago it really looked like men vs. boys
Xavier Varsity had 45 boys on the squad this year and that number includes the 8 players hurt and sidelined. So at the end of the season, they were fielding a varsity team of 37 available players. Your statement is not accurate.

That was my thought, too.

I'm going to tell all my kids to quit all their sports and stop with their singing, dancing and playing their musical instruments. After all - none of them have a future in professional sports or on Broadway.

Are you saying that your kids have the same risk of concussions playing the oboe as they do playing football? Band practice must have changed since I was there.

Are you saying that your kids have the same risk of concussions playing the oboe as they do playing football? Band practice must have changed since I was there.
that was in reply to a poster that said he didn't want his kid playing because he wasn't very good, not because it's dangerous. who said football was as safe as band? (answer=nobody)

but since you post seemed like a smart ass reply, i'll answer it with the same.

GO ASK THE IOWA BAND HOW SAFE IT IS! :)

Linn-Mar, Kennedy, and Jeff all are far ahead of them annually, especially in SC.

Xavier's varsity show choir has beaten Kennedy and Jefferson head-to-head at least once the past 4 years. They've had close, controversial 2nd place finishes to both Washington and Prairie. Linn-Mar is the only program in Eastern Iowa that could accurately be described as "far ahead," in the category of the Central Iowa giants (Waukee, Johnston, Ankeny Centennial, Urbandale). Same goes for jazz band, although that's difficult to argue objectively, since they generally don't "compete" against each other.

And the best recruits in Eastern Iowa go the 3A or smaller schools. (Xavier, Regina, etc)

Neither of which is in the finals!!

Xavier Varsity had 45 boys on the squad this year

Regina football has really taken a nose dive in quality. Back in the early 2010's Regina was fielding teams as a 2A/1A school that frankly were probably better than Dowling. Now they struggle to get to the dome in 1A. I think it has something to do with enrollment dropping and less kids playing football in general maybe because of injury concerns. Maybe the same thing is happening at Xavier.

I'm surprised that there is so little discussion of coaching in this thread. To me that is the biggest difference maker. At schools of roughly the same size, talent evens out over time, given similar genetic makeups. Coaching doesn't. But coaching also includes the emphasis on developmental programs at the lower levels. Recruiting is the one element that can impact the talent balance, but my contention is that in football generally, coaching has a larger impact than is generally recognized.

You really think if you put the Dowling coach in charge of Des Moines Hoover he makes them a contender?

Regina football has really taken a nose dive in quality. Back in the early 2010's Regina was fielding teams as a 2A/1A school that frankly were probably better than Dowling. Now they struggle to get to the dome in 1A. I think it has something to do with enrollment dropping and less kids playing football in general maybe because of injury concerns. Maybe the same thing is happening at Xavier.
Better than Dowling get serious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT