ADVERTISEMENT

A good “Who’s the ahole?”

Feb 9, 2013
United will cave, but I think Bass sounds like an entitled prick.

Airline travel is never easy — especially when flying with young children. However, Toronto Blue Jays player Anthony Bass is sparking debate online after calling out flight attendants who he said "made" his wife clean up after their kids on a plane.

On Sunday, Bass claimed that a United Airlines employee forced his wife, Sydney Rae Bass, to get "on her hands and knees" to pick up the mess that their toddler made.

The [United] flight attendant just made my 22 week pregnant wife traveling with a 5 year old and 2 year old get on her hands and knees to pick up the popcorn mess by my youngest daughter. Are you kidding me?!?!" he tweeted.

The tweet quickly sparked debate online, with many people disagreeing with Bass, and noting that parents should be held responsible for cleaning up messes that children make in public spaces.

Airline travel is never easy — especially when flying with young children. However, Toronto Blue Jays player Anthony Bass is sparking debate online after calling out flight attendants who he said "made" his wife clean up after their kids on a plane.

On Sunday, Bass claimed that a United Airlines employee forced his wife, Sydney Rae Bass, to get "on her hands and knees" to pick up the mess that their toddler made.

The [United] flight attendant just made my 22 week pregnant wife traveling with a 5 year old and 2 year old get on her hands and knees to pick up the popcorn mess by my youngest daughter. Are you kidding me?!?!" he tweeted.

The tweet quickly sparked debate online, with many people disagreeing with Bass, and noting that parents should be held responsible for cleaning up messes that children make in public spaces.
Why would you give them popcorn? And if you're going to give them popcorn...or Cheerios...or anything else...you give them a very limited amount so they can't make a mess in the first place.

That said...an obviously pregnant mother traveling with two small children should get maximum slack cut.

Needs more details - how big of a mess? Did she warn them beforehand? Why couldn't he pickup the mess and not the wife? Why couldn't the kids pick up the mess? how did she force them? I typically side with the employee and am leaning this way again. Don't let your kids be assholes, watch them, scold them, parent them.

It’s all a hot mess. Mom is an ahole for letting toddlers trash the place. Flight attendant is an ahole for making Mom deal with it, even if it was ridiculous. Husband is an ahole for whining about it on social media. Toddlers are just aholes, period, it’s their number 1 job.

Last edited:
Needs more details - how big of a mess? Did she warn them beforehand? Why couldn't he pickup the mess and not the wife? Why couldn't the kids pick up the mess? how did she force them? I typically side with the employee and am leaning this way again. Don't let your kids be assholes, watch them, scold them, parent them.
The pic is in the tweet but guarantee that’s after clean up.

Reactions: SIXERS24
The pic is in the tweet but guarantee that’s after clean up.
How can you guarantee it?
I would pick up after my kids, or have them do it if capable, but that wasn’t that big of a mess. I think we’ve all had kids drop something at a restaurant and left it there.
And I’d like to know how the flight attendant “made” her pick it up. If she’s clearly pregnant (which at 22 weeks is pretty noticeable unless she’s a fatty) then that is also something that should be considered.

Pretty sure the 5 y.o. would be sitting across the aisle, and the 2 y.o. would be sitting next to me. You control the food they get, you don't leave them unsupervised with a bag of popcorn.

Reactions: noleclone2
I don’t even know who he is but this makes me dislike him even more. A MLB player probably got the flight attendant fired or reprimanded. F him.

I'm guessing she didn't even get reprimanded. Tell him you will handle it internally so he shuts the **** up and moves on. He seems like a giant douche, so maybe he can get into that hall of fame.

Saw somewhere that the crew gave them the popcorn.
But still, to tweet this out and put a salary drone on blast because your wife had to clean up after her own kids? Ahole
If that's true and an airline is giving out popcorn then complaining about it making a mess then they are just idiots. Now if they brats brought the popcorn on with them that's a different story.

How can you guarantee it?
I would pick up after my kids, or have them do it if capable, but that wasn’t that big of a mess. I think we’ve all had kids drop something at a restaurant and left it there.
And I’d like to know how the flight attendant “made” her pick it up. If she’s clearly pregnant (which at 22 weeks is pretty noticeable unless she’s a fatty) then that is also something that should be considered.
Because the popcorn on the floor is all in the seat and behind them. Nothing on the floor in front of them. And nobody’s going to dig around by other passengers’ feet.

So, my assumption is it looked like total shit and this is the post-clean up pic the wife took when she complained to her husband.

I agree.

The Bass kids will learn they can do whatever they want, their parents will stand up for them, and there's no personal responsibility. Bass apparently thinks it's OK to give young children popcorn on a plane.

More to the story:

Anthony Bass Relationship​

The Baseball sensation broke the heart of millions of his female admirers with the news of his marriage to Sydney Rae James. At a private ceremony on August 1, 2016, Bass wed Sydney, the sister of country music star Jessie James and Eric Decker’s sister-in-law. Before Bass proposed to the bride-to-be on a romantic walk in Phoenix, Arizona, in February 2016, the couple had been dating for six months.

• Wow
Reactions: lucas80
Bass is an a hole for taking this online
The flight attendant is an a-hole also for not doing their job. The cost to clean a plane is incorporated into the cost of the ticket. I have seen plenty of grown people create a mess and I have never seen a FA ask some drunk to clean up his spilled drink.

I'm guessing she didn't even get reprimanded. Tell him you will handle it internally so he shuts the **** up and moves on. He seems like a giant douche, so maybe he can get into that hall of fame.
I am a master at earnestly telling a customer that, "We take these situations very seriously, and I have taken detailed notes and will make sure their supervisor is aware of what happened. I apologize for this situation", and then hanging up the phone and telling co-workers about the stupid douche I just talked to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT