ADVERTISEMENT

A hypothetical question for gun folk...

Gotta love it when cars get brought into conversations about guns. It's another one of those things that's part of the script, along with mentioning Chicago.

Well to be honest didn't a guy drive a car through a parade a few years ago and run a bunch of people over? Killed some and wounded a bunch of people? And didn't Timothy McVeigh kill a bunch of people in Oklahoma with fertilizer as an explosive bomb? Bottom line is we have a bunch of wackos out there. I've had guns for 50 years and they haven't killed anyone yet.

Great points and I think you're on to something in your last statement. Regardless of what side you're on - I think to answer definitively yes or no to the questions above would be very difficult. As humans we're really good at looking from the outside and holding on to beliefs, but we can get very passionate when it happens directly to us. So yes, it's a thought exercise...tough for many on HORT but I appreciate your response.

I think it's pretty obvious that certain events happen and can trigger a new interest.

If I had to guess, mother's around the country weren't fired up about drunk driving out of boredom. They may have lost a kid to drunk driver and it ignited a passion.

Someone posted about losing a kid to a car crash and not blaming the car... it's just a tool. I don't really buy that, we've improved the tool by making it safer. Through studies, technology, regulations, etc.

Reactions: RileyHawk
No. Because you're addressing the symptom, not the cause.

So, just so I understand your position.

You're a gun person (I defined earlier to be meant as a broad term to include casual supporters / owners to nutters and everywhere in between). And you can definitively say that a catastrophic personal event like your child being killed by a gunman, you personally having to see the aftermath of shootings, or your child causing the act would not cause you to take pause and consider changing your positions as they stand today?

No judgement, just asking.

Well to be honest didn't a guy drive a car through a parade a few years ago and run a bunch of people over? Killed some and wounded a bunch of people? And didn't Timothy McVeigh kill a bunch of people in Oklahoma with fertilizer as an explosive bomb? Bottom line is we have a bunch of wackos out there. I've had guns for 50 years and they haven't killed anyone yet.
It was just last November, but we never hear about it since it was a leftist doing party work....uncle jo never showed up...of course > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waukesha_Christmas_parade_attack

Reactions: 24 so far
It was just last November, but we never hear about it since it was a leftist doing party work....uncle jo never showed up...of course > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waukesha_Christmas_parade_attack

Any thoughts on my response to you Hondo? Or are we done adulting for the day?

Although I own several guns, I also don't consider myself a "gun guy", although I suppose some would. "Gun guys" that I know have 10X, or more, the array of weapons that I have and shoot recreationally and even competitively quite often.

It's impossible for me to say exactly how I would react to the tragic loss of a child, etc. But I don't think it would change my stance on guns.

If for instance one of my children was killed in a car wreck, I am pretty sure that I would not give up driving. To me...the gun is a tool, not the real problem.

Now then, does this mean that I oppose every single idea meant to curtail, or eliminate, gun violence? No...in particular, given that way too many of these wackos are young, "loner" type, males...I think there is room to design laws/regulations to lessen that possible angle...without unnecessarily banning guns for all, etc.

I appreciate the sincere tone of your OP...I wish more people would remain rational and open minded to other viewpoints as they try to grapple with this very vexing issue. I understand the emotion, as there is nothing worse than an innocent child being slaughtered for no reason...BUT, the overwrought discourse then does NOTHING to actually help find some sort of a solution(s).
I think part of the problem with the proposals is that they come to surface after a mass shooting as if the proposal would have prevented the mass shooting to begin with and as if the proposal would guarantee no future mass shootings. Thus the arguments start from the other side of ways to show even with new proposals it doesn't prevent anything. So the discussion gets off point on whether the proposals just make sense as a matter of general protocol.

If you look reaaaaallly closely, my questions above weren't about "stopping" anything. They simply ask would you consider changing your thoughts or perspectives if it happened direcly to you?

So, to stay consistent - would I take a step back and look at things if a child died in an accident or if I had to be the one pulling kids out of cars on a daily basis? Yeah, I think I would. Maybe I'd be more active on traffic enforcement. Maybe I'd change my tune on traffic cameras. I don't know.

I get this exercise is really hard for some people.
Probably because your trick question, addresses a very minute probability in an attempt to make the event seem prevalent.

Probably because your trick question, addresses a very minute probability in an attempt to make the event seem prevalent.

It's not a question of probability. In this hypothetical, it could happen once or it could happen a million times. The point is - it happens directly to you. Hell, I just gave you an example of how a higher probability issue (car accidents) that YOU brought to this conversation might impact my way of thinking. Can you adult enough to think through this or are we done here?

The shootings in the past few years have really opened my eyes to the youth in America. Specifically young males and often young white males.

Our youth are exposed to a lot of violence from a variety of sources. They also use social media which frankly establishes a false sense of reality and opens them up to cyber bullying. Many of these shooters are socially awkward and are loners in their high school. Their activities usually include staying at home and playing in the internet and online games.

This can be said for many countries by the way.

Now for the troubling part. Any 18 year old kid can purchase the firearm that they feel is “cool”. Now they are introduced to a sensation of power mixed with the years of social isolation and anger for being “different”. They want to get back at society.

Raising the age of purchase just makes a ton of sense. A lot can happen in those 3 years from 18 to 21. Maturity may set in. They might Find friends due to work. If they are truly a troubled soul then maybe they get arrested for something during those 3 years that would get caught on a back ground check.

This won’t effect most gun owners.

It's not a question of probability. In this hypothetical, it could happen once or it could happen a million times. The point is - it happens directly to you. Hell, I just gave you an example of how a higher probability issue (car accidents) that YOU brought to this conversation might impact my way of thinking. Can you adult enough to think through this or are we done here?
Are you daft and unemployed, or just daft?

The shootings in the past few years have really opened my eyes to the youth in America. Specifically young males and often young white males.

Our youth are exposed to a lot of violence from a variety of sources. They also use social media which frankly establishes a false sense of reality and opens them up to cyber bullying. Many of these shooters are socially awkward and are loners in their high school. Their activities usually include staying at home and playing in the internet and online games.

This can be said for many countries by the way.

Now for the troubling part. Any 18 year old kid can purchase the firearm that they feel is “cool”. Now they are introduced to a sensation of power mixed with the years of social isolation and anger for being “different”. They want to get back at society.

Raising the age of purchase just makes a ton of sense. A lot can happen in those 3 years from 18 to 21. Maturity may set in. They might Find friends due to work. If they are truly a troubled soul then maybe they get arrested for something during those 3 years that would get out led up on a back ground check.

Introspection and thoughtful response based on results that didn't even happen to you directly. My guess is the answers to my questions in the OP would be a yes from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ihhawk
So, just so I understand your position.

You're a gun person (I defined earlier to be meant as a broad term to include casual supporters / owners to nutters and everywhere in between). And you can definitively say that a catastrophic personal event like your child being killed by a gunman, you personally having to see the aftermath of shootings, or your child causing the act would not cause you to take pause and consider changing your positions as they stand today?

No judgement, just asking.
Correct. The gun is just vehicle - what's the root cause?

I have no idea. I think it happening directly to me would make me absolutely obsessive about finding it though. And that might include challenging my current system of beliefs.

To each their own though.

Let's place more of those "Gun Free Zone" stickers on the entrances to places. I am pretty sure those work AND they let criminals know that just beyond those stickers are all kinds of soft targets, it gives them time to contemplate what they are about to do ......Arm the teachers that want to be armed, it took 40 minutes for the police to enter that elementary school.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondo_11
I was having this discussion with a coworker that was a marine who’s job it was to make repairs to small arms in Afghanistan. He pointed out something that I didn’t know.

Florida raised the legal age to purchase a rifle to 21 following the Parkland shooting. Did not know that.

Reactions: waterboy4582
Ban cars!!!!

We have lots more restrictions on cars than we do on guns.
Guns are the leading cause of death of our children right now.
Guns don't have a primary purpose other than killing, like a car does.

Too many guns. This isn't complicated. More guns that people. More than anywhere in the world. Our guns kill kids and too many don't want to do a damn thing to fix it. Guns are more important than the right for people to not be killed by it. Republicans should just go ahead and say it. Own it. We can all see it's obvious.

Reactions: HawkNester
We have lots more restrictions on cars than we do on guns.
Guns are the leading cause of death of our children right now.
Guns don't have a primary purpose other than killing, like a car does.
It's such a silly part of their narrative but they use it every single time there's a mass shooting, thinking it makes them sound smart.

Too many guns. This isn't complicated. More guns that people. More than anywhere in the world. Our guns kill kids and too many don't want to do a damn thing to fix it. Guns are more important than the right for people to not be killed by it. Republicans should just go ahead and say it. Own it. We can all see it's obvious.
You sound like a rational person totally capable of grasping someone else's thoughts on the matter.

You sound like a rational person totally capable of grasping someone else's thoughts on the matter.
Gee, I've never heard the other side of the gun conversation before. First time a thread about kids being murdered by a mass murderer with guns has been talked about on here before.

The talking points are always recycled. Same nonsense there was 20 years ago.

Gee, I've never heard the other side of the gun conversation before. First time a thread about kids being murdered by a mass murderer with guns has been talked about on here before.

The talking points are always recycled. Same nonsense there was 20 years ago.
Another display of your rationality

Reactions: NCHawk5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT