HR King
May 29, 2001
Paul Krugman
Feb. 28, 2024, 2:41 p.m. ETFeb. 28, 2024
Feb. 28, 2024
Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist

A Moment of Trumpenfreude

OK, I have to admit it: I’m enjoying the spectacle of Donald Trump begging for a delay in the $454 million fine he’s required to pay for fraudulently inflating his net worth, for two reasons.

First, his inability to come up with the cash basically confirms the charges: He isn’t as rich as he claims to be. Second, his evident inability to get anyone to lend him the money is poetic justice for a man who has a history of bilking gullible investors.

One small addition to the Trumpenfreude: A GoFundMe set up to help Trump pay his bills has so far managed to raise about a third of 1 percent of the amount he owes.
You do have to wonder about how this will affect his psychological state. Trump’s speeches have become increasingly incoherent lately — a trend that has attracted sufficient attention that a few days ago he felt compelled to respond, telling an audience: “There’s no cognitive problem. If there was, I’d know about it.”
I think I’ll just leave that there.

Paul Krugman
Feb. 28, 2024, 2:41 p.m. ETFeb. 28, 2024
Feb. 28, 2024
Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist

A Moment of Trumpenfreude

OK, I have to admit it: I’m enjoying the spectacle of Donald Trump begging for a delay in the $454 million fine he’s required to pay for fraudulently inflating his net worth, for two reasons.

First, his inability to come up with the cash basically confirms the charges: He isn’t as rich as he claims to be. Second, his evident inability to get anyone to lend him the money is poetic justice for a man who has a history of bilking gullible investors.

One small addition to the Trumpenfreude: A GoFundMe set up to help Trump pay his bills has so far managed to raise about a third of 1 percent of the amount he owes.
You do have to wonder about how this will affect his psychological state. Trump’s speeches have become increasingly incoherent lately — a trend that has attracted sufficient attention that a few days ago he felt compelled to respond, telling an audience: “There’s no cognitive problem. If there was, I’d know about it.”
I think I’ll just leave that there.

trump asking for money doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have it...he just knows his followers will still give it to him

trump is like the right-wing grift personification of "every crisis is an opportunity"

there is nothing he can't turn into an opportunity to extract a little more money out of his followers

trump asking for money doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have it...he just knows his followers will still give it to him

trump is like the right-wing grift personification of "every crisis is an opportunity"

there is nothing he can't turn into an opportunity to extract a little more money out of his followers

I think him asking the court to take 100 M instead of the full amount confirms he doesn't have it.

Lets keep in mind that this lawsuit has been going on for a while so it makes sense that Trump might have freed up some cash during the suit so that he could post the bond if he needs to appeal.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I think him asking the court to take 100 M instead of the full amount confirms he doesn't have it.

Lets keep in mind that this lawsuit has been going on for a while so it makes sense that Trump might have freed up some cash during the suit so that he could post the bond if he needs to appeal.
you think trump is just going to turn around and pay what he owes? get real!

this is a guy who routinely stiffs city's for the security costs of his own rallies. he has an extensive history of failing to pay contractors for actual work completed. this is just what trump does...leverage every piece of the system to squeeze dollars wherever possible

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT