ADVERTISEMENT

A Veteran's Perspective On Afghanistan

irunlikeAcieEarl

HR Heisman
Mar 12, 2004
As a person, who graduated at the turn of the century, I've had many classmates, whom have spent time in Afghanistan. Some, who were even the first "boots on the ground" before the American people knew we were having operations in Afghanistan. I appreciate their service, along with many other posters, who have served. I just want to share a classmate's "stream of consciousness" in a social media post.

Dear President Joseph Biden
Allow me to introduce myself, I am {name}. I served as a paratroop infantryman in the elite 82nd Airborne Division during all of my combat tours. The first tour was OEF2 before the Iraq invasion ever took place. My unit 2nd Battalion 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment received orders to deploy to Afghanistan.
I watched like everyone else on the morning of 9-11 when Americans jumped to their deaths from skyscrapers rather than burn to death. Our then President, President George W. Bush told the Taliban, give up Bin Laden, or face the US Military’s might. The Taliban made the decision they would harbor known terrorist and provide a safe haven for them to train and plan, the US sprung into action.
I was deployed and landed in the middle of the night at Kandahar Airfield. 3-4 days later my platoon and another in my company would receive a call of Special Forces soldiers pinned down in the Spin Boldak mountains, near the Hindu Kush. The goal was for us, the Quick Reaction Force for the region, to fly in and extract them to safety. Then the 82nd Airborne touched down and quickly gained control of the area. Upon landing the momentum shifted and we owned it. Commanding officers decided, instead of exfilling, we would go on the offensive against the enemy. Al-qaeda and the Taliban assumed we were going to a village nearby and followed us preparing to hit us in the rear. What they didn’t plan on was it getting dark and we knew they were coming. We set up in the plains as they walked down after us not able to see we were in ambush position. When the bulk of them reached the plains we got our first taste of American revenge. The elation we felt on behalf of our country, fighting back was like no other. We had 2 enemy captured and in our inner perimeter, flex cuffed and blind folded. I spoke to them throughout the night via my interpreter as we called in air strikes against their comrades till the sun came up. I’ll never forget the one Taliban Lieutenant telling me he had been a Russian prisoner of war and they would regain control because we were cowards as a country when it came to war. He explained to me he had been fighting since he was 10yrs old. He remarked we could do nothing to him he hadn’t endured but death and relished in the thought. I told him first, President George Bush sent his Regards on behalf of the US. I said he had woefully miscalculated, we will not be the defunk USSR. We were what Russia aspired to be. He laughed and said, you are all the same. We had further “pleasant” conversation the rest of the evening while our machine guns were rocking and air was pounding his comrades keeping them locked in for clean up the next day.
We were allowed to work and it was a swift and easy victory of the corridor to Pakistan. Guess who wasn’t present on that cold January night? A politician!
Many men bled and died and some did both to obtain the objective of removing the Taliban from power, eliminating the terrorist training camps. We held our end of the bargain, we fought, bled and died keeping our end of this deal. I ask now, where is your resolve? Where is your end of the deal? You voted to send me to Afghanistan, did you not vote to see this through? The Taliban ruled, but I found compassion in the people of Afghanistan. Once when we were trapped on a mountain for days with no food or water, we started drinking our IV bags, rationing them as we only had 1 per man, it was to dangerous for helps to come in and reshoot or extract us. It was villagers who came over the mountain to check on us, they had given up a Taliban weapons dump to us. They went back and got us bread to eat and tea to drink. They believed in us, they believed in the US flag patch we wore and we just turned our back on them. They are no doubt dead, probably that entire village as they all eagerly assisted us in our destitute times when we had no more food or water. They wanted freedom, instead what they got for believing in us was death. I remember talking to my translator as we shared stories of being raised in our respective countries, we asked each other tons of “what if” questions. I remember him telling me, “we are finally going to be a real country with a real Army and a real government, like one you see at the summits in New York City. He was referring to the United Nations. I dare think of what has happened to my friend who had an abundance of faith in us and our resolve only to be betrayed. This is not who we are as a country, this all or nothing exit was a slap in the face to everyone who fought the enemy there, bled there, left their families to go there for months to a year at a time, who still deal with physical and psychological wounds all these years later, who put it all on the line, who put the work in, only to just equip terrorist with the best military equipment they have ever had. You owe all of us Afghanistan veterans a sincere apology, you owe the people of Afghanistan a sincere apology, you owe our trapped Americans a sincere apology. Mr. President, I have never in my life time been so disappointed in my country. This is yours, you have to own this. You voted for Afghanistan and we soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors gave you the victory over the Taliban you sought with your vote, now, look at what you’ve done with it. This will have negative repercussions for numerous decades if not generations.
Your interview with George Steffanopolis was extremely disturbing to put it as lightly as possible. Your comment about people hanging from planes saying “that was 4-5 days ago” shows your complete disconnect from reality, the country, your soldiers, and overall humanity. I’m equally appalled that as your administration begins finger pointing (mostly at each other), you have doubled down on the greatest military debacle decision in generations that Trump Vietnam. Everything you said would NEVER just a couple of weeks ago
has all come to pass, from helicopters on the Embassy roof to a complete Taliban take over. Where is VP Harris? She was a huge voice on the campaign trail for women and even remarked about women in Afghanistan, now that women are being killed in Afghanistan because a portion of their face was visible, her silence is deafening. Do what’s right by the country, and at this point, the world, you and VP Harris should resign and allow room for someone to salvage whatever can be.
Sincerely,
~A Proud Afghanistan Combat veteran!

Last edited:
As a person, who graduated at the turn of the century, I've had many classmates, whom have spent time in Afghanistan. Some, who were even the first "boots on the ground" before the American people knew we were having operations in Afghanistan. I appreciate their service, along with many other posters, who have served. I just want to share a classmate's "stream of consciousness" in a social media post.

Allow me to introduce myself, I am {name}. I served as a paratroop infantryman in the elite 82nd Airborne Division during all of my combat tours. The first tour was OEF2 before the Iraq invasion ever took place. My unit 2nd Battalion 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment received orders to deploy to Afghanistan.
I watched like everyone else on the morning of 9-11 when Americans jumped to their deaths from skyscrapers rather than burn to death. Our then President, President George W. Bush told the Taliban, give up Bin Laden, or face the US Military’s might. The Taliban made the decision they would harbor known terrorist and provide a safe haven for them to train and plan, the US sprung into action.
I was deployed and landed in the middle of the night at Kandahar Airfield. 3-4 days later my platoon and another in my company would receive a call of Special Forces soldiers pinned down in the Spin Boldak mountains, near the Hindu Kush. The goal was for us, the Quick Reaction Force for the region, to fly in and extract them to safety. Then the 82nd Airborne touched down and quickly gained control of the area. Upon landing the momentum shifted and we owned it. Commanding officers decided, instead of exfilling, we would go on the offensive against the enemy. Al-qaeda and the Taliban assumed we were going to a village nearby and followed us preparing to hit us in the rear. What they didn’t plan on was it getting dark and we knew they were coming. We set up in the plains as they walked down after us not able to see we were in ambush position. When the bulk of them reached the plains we got our first taste of American revenge. The elation we felt on behalf of our country, fighting back was like no other. We had 2 enemy captured and in our inner perimeter, flex cuffed and blind folded. I spoke to them throughout the night via my interpreter as we called in air strikes against their comrades till the sun came up. I’ll never forget the one Taliban Lieutenant telling me he had been a Russian prisoner of war and they would regain control because we were cowards as a country when it came to war. He explained to me he had been fighting since he was 10yrs old. He remarked we could do nothing to him he hadn’t endured but death and relished in the thought. I told him first, President George Bush sent his Regards on behalf of the US. I said he had woefully miscalculated, we will not be the defunk USSR. We were what Russia aspired to be. He laughed and said, you are all the same. We had further “pleasant” conversation the rest of the evening while our machine guns were rocking and air was pounding his comrades keeping them locked in for clean up the next day.
We were allowed to work and it was a swift and easy victory of the corridor to Pakistan. Guess who wasn’t present on that cold January night? A politician!
Many men bled and died and some did both to obtain the objective of removing the Taliban from power, eliminating the terrorist training camps. We held our end of the bargain, we fought, bled and died keeping our end of this deal. I ask now, where is your resolve? Where is your end of the deal? You voted to send me to Afghanistan, did you not vote to see this through? The Taliban ruled, but I found compassion in the people of Afghanistan. Once when we were trapped on a mountain for days with no food or water, we started drinking our IV bags, rationing them as we only had 1 per man, it was to dangerous for helps to come in and reshoot or extract us. It was villagers who came over the mountain to check on us, they had given up a Taliban weapons dump to us. They went back and got us bread to eat and tea to drink. They believed in us, they believed in the US flag patch we wore and we just turned our back on them. They are no doubt dead, probably that entire village as they all eagerly assisted us in our destitute times when we had no more food or water. They wanted freedom, instead what they got for believing in us was death. I remember talking to my translator as we shared stories of being raised in our respective countries, we asked each other tons of “what if” questions. I remember him telling me, “we are finally going to be a real country with a real Army and a real government, like one you see at the summits in New York City. He was referring to the United Nations. I dare think of what has happened to my friend who had an abundance of faith in us and our resolve only to be betrayed. This is not who we are as a country, this all or nothing exit was a slap in the face to everyone who fought the enemy there, bled there, left their families to go there for months to a year at a time, who still deal with physical and psychological wounds all these years later, who put it all on the line, who put the work in, only to just equip terrorist with the best military equipment they have ever had. You owe all of us Afghanistan veterans a sincere apology, you owe the people of Afghanistan a sincere apology, you owe our trapped Americans a sincere apology. Mr. President, I have never in my life time been so disappointed in my country. This is yours, you have to own this. You voted for Afghanistan and we soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors gave you the victory over the Taliban you sought with your vote, now, look at what you’ve done with it. This will have negative repercussions for numerous decades if not generations.
Your interview with George Steffanopolis was extremely disturbing to put it as lightly as possible. Your comment about people hanging from planes saying “that was 4-5 days ago” shows your complete disconnect from reality, the country, your soldiers, and overall humanity. I’m equally appalled that as your administration begins finger pointing (mostly at each other), you have doubled down on the greatest military debacle decision in generations that Trump Vietnam. Everything you said would NEVER just a couple of weeks ago
has all come to pass, from helicopters on the Embassy roof to a complete Taliban take over. Where is VP Harris? She was a huge voice on the campaign trail for women and even remarked about women in Afghanistan, now that women are being killed in Afghanistan because a portion of their face was visible, her silence is deafening. Do what’s right by the country, and at this point, the world, you and VP Harris should resign and allow room for someone to salvage whatever can be.
Sincerely,
Why can't we know his name?

Reactions: ironside1 and Torg

Why would you need to know his name?

Your war was Vietnam. Mine was Iraq. I was never in Afghanistan. But what I saw recently in Afghanistan really shook me. It made my stomach turn. It was the only time in my life I felt ashamed to be American.

I’m fairly certain the OP’s friend is the real deal. I know exactly what he’s talking. We formed real bonds with our interpreters in Iraq. There were villages and neighborhoods in the areas we operated in that risked their lives helping us so we would do everything we could to protect them, even bleed and die. We had relationships with those people. From the way the OP’s friend speaks, it seems like it was the same in Afghanistan.

I couldn’t even imagine what a lot of Afghanistan veterans are going through right now. The Afghanistan veterans and people of Afghanistan deserve far better withdrawal than they got.

Just my two cents.

The name is not important to strangers, it was taken from a social media post that was shared to friends. I just felt that it was important to share somebody's feelings(shared by many Afghan vets) on the current situation. I knew this kid since elementary school, and he epitomizes the main character from Born On The Fourth of July. He would wear his Cub Scout uniform everyday to class, and would constantly play war games. He was the "kid", that was destined to serve in the military. I'm sure soybean, that you can relate in some fashion.

The failure in the Afghan policy was not by the “boots on the ground“, nor did that failure begin in the year 2021.
I agree, and his anger should be directed at the Afghani forces. I was just sharing his thoughts, which means something(IMHO).

Let's see his letter to Trump.

Not the point that I was trying to make. I was just conveying a veteran's feelings on the situation.

Why is he mad at Biden? Biden didn’t drop his weapon and let the taliban walk in after 20 years of training and support. Biden did what the American people asked him to. Everyone wanted us to leave. People are just upset that the Afghan army collapsed. How is that Biden’s doing?

Why is he mad at Biden? Biden didn’t drop his weapon and let the taliban walk in after 20 years of training and support. Biden did what the American people asked him to. Everyone wanted us to leave. People are just upset that the Afghan army collapsed. How is that Biden’s doing?
I can't speak for anyone, but from what I gather, he feels like it was a betrayal.

Biden is no different than any other American politician or decision maker since the end of WW2. We’ve left allies and valuable intelligence sources hanging in the name of political expediency for generations now. It’s the American political way.

Don’t get involved in conflicts that you cannot commit to 100% politically and militarily

Biden is no different than any other American politician or decision maker since the end of WW2. We’ve left allies and valuable intelligence sources hanging in the name of political expediency for generations now. It’s the American political way.

I think you said it as accurately as possible. The difference being how mediums of information move now. War is messy. Going in, during, and going out.

If the Afghan army and govt stood he wouldn’t feel that way. But they rolled over in days and now he’s angry and needs a target for his anger.
I know this, I'm just conveying what he is feeling. Benghazi, was an unfortunate incident, that became a political point of contention. This, IMHO, invokes a bigger emotional response, among veterans and people who have served in Afghanistan. Whether right or wrong, this is how they feel.

Reactions: BelemNole
I know this, I'm just conveying what he is feeling. Benghazi, was an unfortunate incident, that became a political point of contention. This, IMHO, invokes a bigger emotional response, among veterans and people who have served in Afghanistan. Whether right or wrong, this is how they feel.

Talking to them it is how some of them feel. Veterans aren't a hive minded group. My BIL was Army in Afghanistan and lost a good deal of brothers. I mentioned the the past my guilt of being the guy that sent him over there. Not only in leading the way into the military but also literally fueling the plane that dropped him in Afghanistan.

I'm rambling, that particular vet is annoyed with all of the takes. In short, he wants us to keep trying to evacuate those that helped us, he is aware that people didn't care for 15 plus years, and he knows war is messy, but gives props to Biden actually pulling out.

Talking to them it is how some of them feel. Veterans aren't a hive minded group. My BIL was Army in Afghanistan and lost a good deal of brothers. I mentioned the the past my guilt of being the guy that sent him over there. Not only in leading the way into the military but also literally fueling the plane that dropped him in Afghanistan.

I'm rambling, that particular vet is annoyed with all of the takes. In short, he wants us to keep trying to evacuate those that helped us, he is aware that people didn't care for 15 plus years, and he knows war is messy, but gives props to Biden actually pulling out.
I agree, that the right move was to pull out. If this was the outcome, then we should have pulled out sooner. I wasn't even trying to say that Afghanistan Vets were hive mind. I was just posting, one Vet's thoughts on the situation, which has been echoed by other people that have served. Take it at face value. I'm not even saying that his logic makes sense, just that he is posting his thoughts and experiences on the situation in Afghanistan. It's an insight, you can listen, provide more context, or dismiss it.

Reactions: Rudolph and Moral
I agree, that the right move was to pull out. If this was the outcome, then we should have pulled out sooner. I wasn't even trying to say that Afghanistan Vets were hive mind. I was just posting, one Vet's thoughts on the situation, which has been echoed by other people that have served. Take it at face value. I'm not even saying that his logic makes sense, just that he is posting his thoughts and experiences on the situation in Afghanistan. It's an insight, you can listen, provide more context, or dismiss it.

I may have come out as too aggressive. I think I was riffing a bit. I know you are a considerate and thoughtful poster.

Your friend on social media seems very much like someone who is politically biased. You can tell that the second he said his tough guy Bush comment and then not much later mentions Biden’s vote to send them there and nary a mention in negative light of Bush or Trump in all of this. Very contrived with a touch of histrionics is my take.

Your friend on social media seems very much like someone who is politically biased. You can tell that the second he said his tough guy Bush comment and then not much later mentions Biden’s vote to send them there and nary a mention in negative light of Bush or Trump in all of this. Very contrived with a touch of histrionics is my take.
No Doubt, like Gwen Stefani.

Yes, I agree. For more than 15 years Kurdish forces in Iraq and Northern Syria partnered with US troops to combat ISIS in the region. The US has acknowledged that the Kurdish forces fighting along US troops were crucial to the demise of ISIS in the region. We armed the Kurds and provided other substantial aid for almost a generation.

Then in 2019, under pressure from Erdogen and against pleas from the UN and others, Trump removed all US troops in the buffer zone between Turkey and Northern Syria. What ensued was a slaughter of Kurds, including civilians, at the hands of Erdogen. Tens of thousands of Kurds were forced out of their villages thereby creating a humanitarian crisis.

If this guy was triggered by what transpired in Afghanistan, he was surely outraged by what happened in 2019 as the US facilitated the massive deadly attack against the Kurds, our partners in the fight against ISIS. Maybe he was mad but we just didn't see that letter.

Why would you need to know his name?

Your war was Vietnam. Mine was Iraq. I was never in Afghanistan. But what I saw recently in Afghanistan really shook me. It made my stomach turn. It was the only time in my life I felt ashamed to be American.

I’m fairly certain the OP’s friend is the real deal. I know exactly what he’s talking. We formed real bonds with our interpreters in Iraq. There were villages and neighborhoods in the areas we operated in that risked their lives helping us so we would do everything we could to protect them, even bleed and die. We had relationships with those people. From the way the OP’s friend speaks, it seems like it was the same in Afghanistan.

I couldn’t even imagine what a lot of Afghanistan veterans are going through right now. The Afghanistan veterans and people of Afghanistan deserve far better withdrawal than they got.

Just my two cents.

If this is the first time you were ashamed to be American, you haven't been paying attention. The US gets much wrong, but this isn't one of those instances.

This is not an American defeat. Let us be clear ... Afghanistan lost. Liberalism lost in Afghanistan. Afghan's liberal democrats lost. The US took out the Taliban ... paid for it with blood and treasure ... for 20 years! That's a long window of opportunity for a people to toss up liberal leaders. For the past 5 years, WAY more Americans died from lightning strikes than Taliban strikes. America won the war. Their Afghan leadership fumbled the peace.

I predict that many many Afghans will look back on the day the Americans left with a sense of loss. I don't see any Americans looking back at that day wondering if we could have done more.

America did more than enough in the aid of the Afghan people ... then, America left. It's what we do.

I'd go one further. Many analysts believe India has much better intelligence analysis than the US on the ground (more realistic). India wrapped up its consulates in no time. I'd suggest it was common knowledge in the intelligence community that the Afghan army was going to fold.

This wasn't going to be a long-drawn withdrawal. Per a seasoned Afghan journal (have you even seen one of these on TV in the US?) on a respectable Indian news show, the Taliban have been negotiating for months with some of the provincial governors. Battle-hardened warlords simply handed over the keys to the province, the army and governing apparatus as soon as the Taliban showed up at the gate.

Where is VP Harris? She was a huge voice on the campaign trail for women and even remarked about women in Afghanistan, now that women are being killed in Afghanistan because a portion of their face was visible, her silence is deafening.

Bringing the VP into it tells everyone what the true motive of this veteran is. While he deserves respect for his service he gets no respect for making it a political statement Having an issue with the CIC is understandable and expected no matter if one is dem/repub. Calling for Harris to resign who is not part of the military structure is something that would be better left to thought and not words.

The failure in the Afghan policy was not by the “boots on the ground“, nor did that failure begin in the year 2021.
Oh, but it's so, so easy for GOP politicians like Aunt Joni, and Lindsay Graham to appear on interviews and second guess the departure. Calling it a "debacle" and a "disaster"... when everyone and their brother knew the eventual move out was not going to to smoothly.

Whomever was President was going to be criticized.

As others have stated... Afghan leadership was corrupt from the beginning.

Eff all these Republicans and their talk. Trump had four years, too. What did he do?

Sincerely,
Where was this guy when Pompeo and Trump were negotiating with the Taliban, releasing prisoners (one of whom is now the Taliban leader) and undermining the government in Kabul?

I understand the criticisms thrown at Biden; I'm stumped as to why there's a "pass" for Trump.
Very odd.

Where is VP Harris? She was a huge voice on the campaign trail for women and even remarked about women in Afghanistan, now that women are being killed in Afghanistan because a portion of their face was visible, her silence is deafening.

Bringing the VP into it tells everyone what the true motive of this veteran is. While he deserves respect for his service he gets no respect for making it a political statement Having an issue with the CIC is understandable and expected no matter if one is dem/repub. Calling for Harris to resign who is not part of the military structure is something that would be better left to thought and not words.

And ignoring entirely what's gone on over the past 2 years, and what Biden inherited is simply pretending the elephant in the room doesn't exist.

Reactions: Rudolph and soybean

Sincerely,

TL; DR

Also, if you don't know how to properly use whom just don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT