ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Rodgers scorches Big Ten officials for overturning Cooper DeJean's punt return touchdown

Are you suggesting we review every play for a hold call that was missed? Lets just make all the games 6 hours long then...
*sigh* holding calls are not reviewable. But if it doesn’t affect the outcome of the play, why is it called on the field? The argument is his waving didn’t affect the play and should have been ignored. How is holding - if it doesn’t impact the play - different?

Keith Murphy, the great sportscaster in Des Moines captured it pretty well. If you get super technical, even thought it is almost never called, you can make a case for it (even though the refs admitting at field level it was not apparent, only in an overhead view). Crazy the refs said they stress "common sense" and then did this. Complete lack of common sense.

"I know the rule, and it probably was technically the correct, if rarely applied call---invalid fair catch signal---but it should never be added after the fact when noticed in a replay looking for something else. You can find an infraction on every play of every game. No one wants that."

Trying to be objective here but I continue to be amazed at how many fans remain convinced that whatever you call what Cooper did with his arms didn’t impact the players on the field. The video evidence shows that at least 2 Hawks were influenced by what Cooper did. If you watch the tape, you can see #17 (could be #27) run away from the football along the 50 yard line towards the Iowa bench. Also, #4 runs out of bounds on Gopher sideline. Both are typical of what you would do if a Peter (or whatever call a team uses) is made. So seeing this, couldn’t it have been at least possible that 1 or more Gopher defenders let up, if only slightly, given their knowledge of the rules? Also, #4 then comes back onto the field to participate in the play, which is also a penalty and if called, would have brought the play back.

This whole sequence is just a conglomeration of fail. Just wish it hadn’t happened. While scoring was obviously lacking, it was an interesting competitive game for the most part.

Trying to be objective here but I continue to be amazed at how many fans remain convinced that whatever you call what Cooper did with his arms didn’t impact the players on the field. The video evidence shows that at least 2 Hawks were influenced by what Cooper did. If you watch the tape, you can see #17 (could be #27) run away from the football along the 50 yard line towards the Iowa bench. Also, #4 runs out of bounds on Gopher sideline. Both are typical of what you would do if a Peter (or whatever call a team uses) is made. So seeing this, couldn’t it have been at least possible that 1 or more Gopher defenders let up, if only slightly, given their knowledge of the rules? Also, #4 then comes back onto the field to participate in the play, which is also a penalty and if called, would have brought the play back.

This whole sequence is just a conglomeration of fail. Just wish it hadn’t happened. While scoring was obviously lacking, it was an interesting competitive game for the most part.
**** off

No one was affected. 6 Minnesota players were by Cooper and misses trying to tackle him

The replay official evidently has this habit of inserting himself into calls and getting them wrong.

**** off

No one was affected. 6 Minnesota players were by Cooper and misses trying to tackle him

The replay official evidently has this habit of inserting himself into calls and getting them wrong.
Perfect example of what I am talking about. This poster has the ability to enter into the minds of other people. Irrational thought processes won’t get you far in this world so I do feel sorry for you.

Perfect example of what I am talking about. This poster has the ability to enter into the minds of other people. Irrational thought processes won’t get you far in this world so I do feel sorry for you.
Of course they are running off, they don't want to get hit by the ball when it is that short. That has happened one time previously. They would be nuts not to get off. The returner can still pick up the bouncing football. No Minnesota players let up at all, nor did their coaches think anything of it. This was an all-time screw job and anybody arguing it is just doing it to argue.

Of course they are running off, they don't want to get hit by the ball when it is that short. That has happened one time previously. They would be nuts not to get off. The returner can still pick up the bouncing football. No Minnesota players let up at all, nor did their coaches think anything of it. This was an all-time screw job and anybody arguing it is just doing it to argue.
Example #2. Amazing ability to read minds.

Not going to change your mind, just asking to think objectively and rationally. I see you didn’t comment on the illegal participation miss on the play either. As I said, there is enough fail on that play for both teams. Run the table and this game will be forgotten. Fail to run the table and this game is likely meaningless.

If a player leaves the field of play and re-enters is quickly, he may participate in the play. He may not be the first player to touch the call, however. Did you notice that PJ observed the whole play from a few feet away and never protested the fact that #3 fielded the ball. In fact PJs reaction was one of “here we go again”….#3 got phuqued with the “review”…. And the Hawks were the victims. It was a boring as shit FB game as both teams have really bad and unimaginative offenses. The only fail to be noted here is the fail of the official who was 50-100 yds away in the Press box…
In the scheme of life it’s small potatoes but getting butt-phuqued by the Gooooofs is never easy to stomach. But make no mistake about it….UIowa had this one stolen from them.

People are also ignoring that an Iowa rusher jumped over the punt shield, just as they did against Nebraska las year. If called, it would have been a 15 yard penalty, Minnesota ball.

Piss poor coaching from both teams, both should get a loss in this one.

People are also ignoring that an Iowa rusher jumped over the punt shield, just as they did against Nebraska las year. If called, it would have been a 15 yard penalty, Minnesota ball.

Piss poor coaching from both teams, both should get a loss in this one.
No player jumped “over” anything...you are letting your imagination get the best of you here, gimmered...
The only real fail here was the person with the worst view of events was the person who made the deciding call. And the “indisputable evidence” statement by the referee, postgame was pure unadulterated crap. Of course they couldn’t have just told the truth and said “we blew it”, could they?

If a player leaves the field of play and re-enters is quickly, he may participate in the play. He may not be the first player to touch the call, however. Did you notice that PJ observed the whole play from a few feet away and never protested the fact that #3 fielded the ball. In fact PJs reaction was one of “here we go again”….#3 got phuqued with the “review”…. And the Hawks were the victims. It was a boring as shit FB game as both teams have really bad and unimaginative offenses. The only fail to be noted here is the fail of the official who was 50-100 yds away in the Press box…
In the scheme of life it’s small potatoes but getting butt-phuqued by the Gooooofs is never easy to stomach. But make no mistake about it….UIowa had this one stolen from them.
What you state above is true for a receiver but not on a kick play. A player that voluntarily goes out of bounds cannot come back onto the field or participate in the play. Touching the ball has no bearing on this call.

No player jumped “over” anything...you are letting your imagination get the best of you here, gimmered...
The only real fail here was the person with the worst view of events was the person who made the deciding call. And the “indisputable evidence” statement by the referee, postgame was pure unadulterated crap. Of course they couldn’t have just told the truth and said “we blew it”, could they?

Number 7, 8 seconds in. Leaps up and goes airborne, same as what cost you against Nebraska.

Number 7, 8 seconds in. Leaps up and goes airborne, same as what cost you against Nebraska.
You better look again glimmered...he was blocked over the blocker...the defender is allowed to jump o block the punt...the blocker blocked the Iowa player after he jumped and momentum carried him forward and over the blocker...I have no idea what your talking about vs. Nebraska, But Sat. Event was not what you are claiming.
A player nay not “launch” himself (using a teammate” in order to block a kick...but that is an intentional act...this clearly was not.

You better look again glimmered...he was blocked over the blocker...the defender is allowed to jump o block the punt...the blocker blocked the Iowa player after he jumped and momentum carried him forward and over the blocker...I have no idea what your talking about vs. Nebraska, But Sat. Event was not what you are claiming.
A player nay not “launch” himself (using a teammate” in order to block a kick...but that is an intentional act...this clearly was not.
Doesn't matter, he left his feet, same as what was called against Nebraska. He launched and was blocked over.

BTW, I saw this pointed out by an Iowa friendly source. Should have been a 15 yard penalty.

The actual rule is posted just prior to your response. It could have been called.

It is a foul if a defensive player who is inside the tackle box tries to block a punt by leaving his feet and leaping into the plane directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.
The key phrase here is “directly above the frame of the body of an opponent.”

Last year against Nebraska, Castro leaped up and over an opponent. That was rightly called a penalty.

Against Minnesota last week, Nestor was running at a 45 degree angle and leaped into the gap between two Gopher players. That’s not a penalty.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, he left his feet, same as what was called against Nebraska. He launched and was blocked over.

BTW, I saw this pointed out by an Iowa friendly source. Should have been a 15 yard penalty.
No it shouldn’t have been. It simply is not against the rules..to get blocked over a blocker. You can’t “launch” yourself, but you certainly can get blocked/flipped...simple gravity at work. There is no rules violation in what you site.
But neither one of us is gonna change their mind...

No it shouldn’t have been. It simply is not against the rules..to get blocked over a blocker. You can’t “launch” yourself, but you certainly can get blocked/flipped...simple gravity at work. There is no rules violation in what you site.
But neither one of us is gonna change their mind...
Yeah, it's pretty clear we won't. I see a clear launch. The rule is in place to protect the defensive player. I can't imagine that Iowa would be coaching them to launch like that, but yet I've seen it in two different seasons. Maybe they'll get lucky and no one will break a neck.

Yeah, it's pretty clear we won't. I see a clear launch. The rule is in place to protect the defensive player. I can't imagine that Iowa would be coaching them to launch like that, but yet I've seen it in two different seasons. Maybe they'll get lucky and no one will break a neck.
Nestor’s jump was nothing like Castro’s. Your bias is showing.

Nestor’s jump was nothing like Castro’s. Your bias is showing.
I see nothing resembling a “launch”..I see Iowa #7 rushing the punter and being blocked over the Minnesota’s blocker’s shoulder as attempted attempted to block the punt...a “launch” is using another player’s body as an aid to blocking a kick/punt. #7 jumped to block the punt and was contacted and fended off to his right with the Minnesota players block when he was in midair. That is not a “launch”...

**** off you tool.

Quite rational. You are a ****ing tool and got told **** off. Direct and accurate.

Well, except for the fact that he's completely wrong...never mind, that is his wheelhouse these days.

“That was the most ridiculous call that I saw all last week. This is so ridiculous. Nothing about this says fair catch. Absolutely nothing about this. The ball is on the ground. He’s pointing at it for his gunners to get out of the way. And then, all they were looking at was, did he step out, correct, with the review?

“And then they’re gonna go back and wave this thing off? Absolutely ridiculous call. Classic of them to double down and say, ‘Yep, totally a fair catch.’ Nothing about that had fair catch energy. Absolutely nothing. I feel terrible for the kid, gutted for him, for Iowa fans. That’s awful."

Sorry A-aron...he waved his hand multiple times indisputably. That's the very definition of an invalid fair catch signal. Nobody is even talking about the pointing hand. The ONLY argument you can make would be to claim he didn't wave his hand and - tellingly - NO one is making that claim.
You related to the idiot that made it his 15 seconds of fame by overturning the return?

When, if ever did his hand elevate above his shoulder? Which since the beginning of time was a needed aspect of calling for a fair catch, except in this game of course. The reason it wasn't called on the field is because the stripes ON THE FIELD knew what was going down. They KNEW he wasn't calling for a fair catch and let the play finish itself out. It would be interesting to see how many punt returns this year the receiver had his hands to his side without moving them as the coverage team was zeroing in on them. Because you know if you move your arms it's a fair catch, right? Clueless.

Water under the bridge now but as Aaron said and most of the country that watched the replay would agree, it was the proverbial wire brush shoved up IOWA's backside.

You related to the idiot that made it his 15 seconds of fame by overturning the return?

When, if ever did his hand elevate above his shoulder? Which since the beginning of time was a needed aspect of calling for a fair catch, except in this game of course. The reason it wasn't called on the field is because the stripes ON THE FIELD knew what was going down. They KNEW he wasn't calling for a fair catch and let the play finish itself out. It would be interesting to see how many punt returns this year the receiver had his hands to his side without moving them as the coverage team was zeroing in on them. Because you know if you move your arms it's a fair catch, right? Clueless.

Water under the bridge now but as Aaron said and most of the country that watched the replay would agree, it was the proverbial wire brush shoved up IOWA's backside.
Good grief…you’re still whining about this? Get. A. Life.

The final effect of this bullshit call may not be fully realized for another week, tarheel. I have had a lot of laughs over the years as Hawk fans have pissed and moaned about “ bad calls that always go against them”...This one is legit...and it might have a real cost (a spot in the play-off game in a couple of weeks). Whichever official made “the call” had their head up their ass...
I think most Iowa fan has moved on...but damn few of us have forgotten.

Not really whining, pointing out the facts to those that really have zero idea what they are looking at.

If you watched the other clip of a PSU punt return a couple posts below my original one explain to me how that wasn’t called back. His right hand actually goes above his shoulder long before the ball arrives. If they’re gonna call it once they damn well better call it all the time.

Not really whining, pointing out the facts to those that really have zero idea what they are looking at.

If you watched the other clip of a PSU punt return a couple posts below my original one explain to me how that wasn’t called back. His right hand actually goes above his shoulder long before the ball arrives. If they’re gonna call it once they damn well better call it all the time.
What the other team saw is irrelevant. What the on-field refs saw is irrelevant. The review ref has full authority under the rules to call infractions seen. He saw an arm waving - it was - and he called it. Period. As for the other call, if it occurred - it wasn't seen. It sucks. No argument. But there's no call that's made every time the infraction occurs.

What the other team saw is irrelevant. What the on-field refs saw is irrelevant. The review ref has full authority under the rules to call infractions seen. He saw an arm waving - it was - and he called it. Period. As for the other call, if it occurred - it wasn't seen. It sucks. No argument. But there's no call that's made every time the infraction occurs.
[/QUOTE

He saw arms extended out to his side motioning to other players to stay away. Nothing more. He F&$ked up and the BIG couldn’t retract his F&$k up after the fact so they dug in and rallied around this idiot to save face. Nothing more.

Pretty simple fix to this. It’s NOT a fair catch if the arms are NOT extended ABOVE the head with a wave. Like it always use to be. Anything else is live.

Watch a few games and see how many punt returners stand there without any arm movement before the ball arrives.

Does the reviewing ref have a standard to work against? (I.e. call on the field stands unless blah blah blah evidence to the contrary).

Reactions: EasyHawk
That was a horrific call. No question in that. Replay guy got it wrong. Incompetent for sure.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Does the reviewing ref have a standard to work against? (I.e. call on the field stands unless blah blah blah evidence to the contrary).
Yes. And he saw an arm waving because there was an arm waving. People railing against the call have already said so many times. The point is that “any waving” is an infraction. By rule. Waving off his own teammates? Infraction. Waving his arm to keep his balance? Infraction. Waving to point to where the ball is going to land? Infraction.

Should the call have been made? You can absolutely argue that. Personally, I don’t think the call should have been made and another ref might have let it go.

Was the call correct under the rules? Yes. As correct as if his foot was seen to touch the sideline. And the review ref can make either call regardless of what anyone on the field thinks they saw or didn’t see.

Yes. And he saw an arm waving because there was an arm waving. People railing against the call have already said so many times. The point is that “any waving” is an infraction. By rule. Waving off his own teammates? Infraction. Waving his arm to keep his balance? Infraction. Waving to point to where the ball is going to land? Infraction.

Should the call have been made? You can absolutely argue that. Personally, I don’t think the call should have been made and another ref might have let it go.

Was the call correct under the rules? Yes. As correct as if his foot was seen to touch the sideline. And the review ref can make either call regardless of what anyone on the field thinks they saw or didn’t see.
Appreciate all of this. Plenty I agree with.

Here’s my thing, the field level shot showed inconclusively what the arm was doing. Could absolutely be viewed as part of the running motion, and was officiated as such on the field. The aerial shot makes the “waving motion” look more definitive I’d acknowledge, but I believe that’s deceiving based on the comparison with the field level shot. The angle of a camera shot can be very deceiving and needs to be considered when reviewing. This is the same kind of issue that can arise on a goal line review for example, whether the ball breaks the plane can look completely different based on the angle of the camera shot. When you have an angle (most notably, at field level, not from a helicopter) that creates the uncertainty we had on this play, you have to stick with the original call, whatever that is per replay standard of review. If you’re saying it was 100% without a doubt sufficiently clear to overturn, I just don’t see all of the footage supporting that.

I’m any case, the Hawks won the West, the football gods let things be right, so whatever. Of course if we had a 12 team playoff this year, that would still loom as an enormous call and wouldn’t feel the same about letting it go.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT