ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Rodgers scorches Big Ten officials for overturning Cooper DeJean's punt return touchdown

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Try as they might, Big Ten coordinator of officiating Bill Carollo and NCAA rules editor Steve Shaw didn’t convince Hawkeye fans that they got the invalid fair catch ruling right with their Monday explanation.

That duo joined the Des Moines Register’s Chad Leistikow to explain why Cooper DeJean’s apparent go-ahead, 54-yard punt return touchdown versus Minnesota was wiped out upon review.

An offer for Hawkeyes fans​

For the best local Iowa news, sports, entertainment and culture coverage, subscribe to The Des Moines Register.

$1 for 6 months

Their explanation didn’t pass the smell test for Iowa fans. Interestingly enough, it didn’t pass the smell test for Super Bowl-winning quarterback Aaron Rodgers either.

The former longtime Green Bay Packers quarterback and now New York Jets signal-caller sounded off on his irritation with the invalid fair catch ruling in his Tuesday appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show.”

“That was the most ridiculous call that I saw all last week. This is so ridiculous. Nothing about this says fair catch. Absolutely nothing about this. The ball is on the ground. He’s pointing at it for his gunners to get out of the way. And then, all they were looking at was, did he step out, correct, with the review?

“And then they’re gonna go back and wave this thing off? Absolutely ridiculous call. Classic of them to double down and say, ‘Yep, totally a fair catch.’ Nothing about that had fair catch energy. Absolutely nothing. I feel terrible for the kid, gutted for him, for Iowa fans. That’s awful,” Rodgers said.

Host Pat McAfee pointed out that none of the players on the field for Minnesota slowed up like a fair catch had been signaled. Rodgers noted that nobody on the Minnesota sideline did either.

“I would add to it and say, is there anybody on the sidelines there—because he caught the ball on the Minnesota sideline—is there anybody on the sideline pointing, as if it’s like, ‘Oh, he called for a fair catch!’ Nobody’s pointing, nobody’s going crazy.

“I didn’t see the game, I just saw kind of that last highlight—that lowlight for Iowa fans—but that sequence there, were there coaches on the Minnesota side who were making fair catch gestures? No, nobody thought about it for a second. There’s one person in the entire place, or the replay official who was like, ‘Hey, let me consult Page 72 here, Item A says if…’ No. Nobody thought that that had anything to do with a fair catch, because it didn’t,” Rodgers said.

Does it suddenly make Iowa’s record 7-1 after Rodgers and McAfee’s endorsements that the Hawkeyes got hosed? No, it doesn’t.

But, in some small way, it feels nice to hear voices of reason taking up for Iowa on a national sports platform.

when it comes to football there aren’t many people i would rather have on my side. other things not so much but he’s in his wheelhouse with this.
Well, except for the fact that he's completely wrong...never mind, that is his wheelhouse these days.

“That was the most ridiculous call that I saw all last week. This is so ridiculous. Nothing about this says fair catch. Absolutely nothing about this. The ball is on the ground. He’s pointing at it for his gunners to get out of the way. And then, all they were looking at was, did he step out, correct, with the review?

“And then they’re gonna go back and wave this thing off? Absolutely ridiculous call. Classic of them to double down and say, ‘Yep, totally a fair catch.’ Nothing about that had fair catch energy. Absolutely nothing. I feel terrible for the kid, gutted for him, for Iowa fans. That’s awful."

Sorry A-aron...he waved his hand multiple times indisputably. That's the very definition of an invalid fair catch signal. Nobody is even talking about the pointing hand. The ONLY argument you can make would be to claim he didn't wave his hand and - tellingly - NO one is making that claim.

Well, except for the fact that he's completely wrong...never mind, that is his wheelhouse these days.

“And then they’re gonna go back and wave this thing off? Absolutely ridiculous call. Classic of them to double down and say, ‘Yep, totally a fair catch.’ Nothing about that had fair catch energy. Absolutely nothing. I feel terrible for the kid, gutted for him, for Iowa fans. That’s awful."

Sorry A-aron...he waved his hand multiple times indisputably. That's the very definition of an invalid fair catch signal. Nobody is even talking about the pointing hand. The ONLY argument you can make would be to claim he didn't wave his hand and - tellingly - NO one is making that claim.
Definitely not indisputably. That was a horrific call and the ref who made the call should be suspended at minimum. Criminal.

I’m sure you’d say the same thing if it was a Tar Heel player!

Reactions: Bierhalter

Yeah you’re right. What a great call by the refs! I look forward to many more great calls like that, it should definitely happen more often, & all for the good of the game!

Unfortunately, you're spot on. It's not that he made a fair catch signal and then returned it, it's that he made an invalid signal. It really stinks because it never crossed either team's mind nor the announcers, but imagine being a Minnesota fan and understanding the rules, you'd be livid.

According to the NCAA rulebook, an invalid fair catch signal refers to any waving motion made by a member of the receiving team that does not meet the criteria for a valid fair catch. A fair catch is deemed valid if and only if a player waves his arm over his head.

DeJean did not do such a thing. Still, the result was the same; because he was deemed to have attempted the get-away signal, the play was ruled dead once he touched the ball. Everything that happened after he fielded the punt drifted into the ether.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I’m sure you’d say the same thing if it was a Tar Heel player!
I've already said it happened to UNC's Ryan Switzer. And all he did was touch his chest...no waving at all. It ultimately cost him a share of the NCAA record for most punt returns for a touchdown. Of course, Carolina still won 50-14 so those stakes weren't as high.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP

Fair catch rule: wave hand it the air.

Officiating rule: just ignore rule.

I've already said it happened to UNC's Ryan Switzer. And all he did was touch his chest...no waving at all. It ultimately cost him a share of the NCAA record for most punt returns for a touchdown. Of course, Carolina still won 50-14 so those stakes weren't as high.
Did you agree with the call?

No…it didn’t even meet the definition of an invalid signal. But it was the call. Did DeJean wave his hand? Yes or no?

wave his hand? no. move his hand? yes.

and as rodgers point out, it wasn’t the call on the field. it was reviewed to see if he stepped out of bounds and they changed their ruling to say it was an invalid fair catch.

With this idiotic logic. As soon as Cooper raises his hands from his sides, using a waving motion. This could be construed as a “invalid signal motion.” However, it is not waving. No one agrees this is a wave. Lifting your arms. No of course not.

I’ve seen him do these same actions numerous times, especially since a ball hit his teammate earlier this year. Does in when the ball is bouncing to the sidelines. Never called before.

I was at the game. When he calls for a fair catch, it’s a very quick over the head motion at the last second.

I wish I had the skills to download some examples here. Sorry

Not sure either teamed deserved to win this game. Cooper did not deserve this to happen to him. He does deserve all the
Cccoooppps that he get during the game.

Thank you for being a Hawkeye in every way! Proud of you Cooper!

Just my opinion though.

With this idiotic logic. As soon as Cooper raises his hands from his sides, using a waving motion. This could be construed as a “invalid signal motion.” However, it is not waving. No one agrees this is a wave. Lifting your arms. No of course not.
Which is the point Kirk made in his post game presser……It’s a piss poor “rule”….onr that needs to go the route of the NFL’s old “tuck rule”…..Either your are pregnant or your not…..either you call for a “fair catch” (hand above the shoulders, waving back and forth) or you don’t. Pretty damned simple for me…….and #3 did NOT call for a “fair catch”. Any reference to an “invalid signal“ is complete bullshit and totally unnecessary.

At 0:05 to 0:06 he clearly lifts his right arm in a waving motion. Is this a wave? Yes or no? Why or why not?

Explain to us why this motion “ISN’T” an invalid fair catch signal but later doing it hands down out to his side IS.

Can’t have it both ways.

Enlighten us.

hey tarheel why don’t you want to explain this here for us?

Why wasn’t his “wave motion” by lifting his right arm not a wave?

Help us out here.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

tarheel thinks this is what Cooper did. Lol

What do we notice here? An open palm, faced at the recipient.

Tell me, is that what Cooper did?

hey tarheel why don’t you want to explain this here for us?

Why wasn’t his “wave motion” by lifting his right arm not a wave?

Help us out here.
It is hysterical watching you guys fall over yourselves trying to justify your thinking. He pointed with his right hand. He did not wave it. He waved with his left hand…multiple times…waving off his teammates? It doesn’t matter. By rule, it’s an invalid signal and no amount of denial changes that.

The best part is if you go back to the original thread, NO ONE denies he was waving. The argument then was that it didn’t matter (irrelevant) or that it wasn’t called on the field (irrelevant) or that he was only waving his teammates away from the ball so there was no intent to deceive (irrelevant). Now that it’s been established beyond any argument that he did wave his hand and that’s the definition of an invalid fair catch that is reviewable…suddenly a wave isn’t a wave.

Whatever it takes, I suppose.

It is hysterical watching you guys fall over yourselves trying to justify your thinking. He pointed with his right hand. He did not wave it. He waved with his left hand…multiple times…waving off his teammates? It doesn’t matter. By rule, it’s an invalid signal and no amount of denial changes that.

The best part is if you go back to the original thread, NO ONE denies he was waving. The argument then was that it didn’t matter (irrelevant) or that it wasn’t called on the field (irrelevant) or that he was only waving his teammates away from the ball so there was no intent to deceive (irrelevant). Now that it’s been established beyond any argument that he did wave his hand and that’s the definition of an invalid fair catch that is reviewable…suddenly a wave isn’t a wave.

So you cannot or will not explain this obvious inconsistency. Cool thanks. I guess that pretty much puts your argument to bed. Could have just said “I concede” and moved on.

Also, zero officials during or since have said the waving hand motion Cooper made when he lifted his arms from down at his side to start pointing at the ball was an invalid fair catch signal.

The REASON no one thinks this motion is a wave, is that despite the fact it is wave like in motion, it is clearly not a wave. Just like what he did later with his left arm/hand while pointing at the area the ball was going to bounce was ALSO not a wave.

Case closed Johnson.

If only the inept offense - and play calling - could have squeezed out just 20-25 yards after that review-based overturn of CDJ's return. This wouldn't be getting even a tiny fraction of the pub it is, had it done so.

I hate it badly for Coop that he had that great effort and result ripped away from him, but it never never never nevvvver should have mattered, either going into the PR or after. A measly 20 to 25 goddamn yards - for even a bad offense - gained and really good chance Stevens kicks the game-winning FG.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Look it, if the Minn players on the field, the Minn coaching staff & players on the sideline at the time of the play, AND the entire on field officiating crew ALL agree it was not an invalid fair catch signal by their own actions. Then I really don’t give a rip what some dumbass in a booth wants to say. That’s like 40 people to 1. Sorry.

This entire debate across every message board has only done one thing for me ....confirmed that we will never solve the climate crisis(and many other problems) because it is human nature to interpret facts based on one's beliefs and feelings.

I bleed black and gold, jumped around like a madman in joy and then crumpled in a heap of despair after the review, yet I don't understand how people can look at the video and deny CDJ was waving his left arm.

Anything after that is an interpretation of the rules, was it reviewable or should the ref have applied some discretion. But the fact remains...he waved his freaking arm.

This entire debate across every message board has only done one thing for me ....confirmed that we will never solve the climate crisis(and many other problems) because it is human nature to interpret facts based on one's beliefs and feelings.

I bleed black and gold, jumped around like a madman in joy and then crumpled in a heap of despair after the review, yet I don't understand how people can look at the video and deny CDJ was waving his left arm.

Anything after that is an interpretation of the rules, was it reviewable or should the ref have applied some discretion. But the fact remains...he waved his freaking arm.

Define wave.

If we can’t agree that a wave is at or above face level with your palm directed at the recipient of the wave, then of course there is confusion and disagreement. You and others are attempting to conflate any motion at all with “waving.” That’s not right. As I pointed out off the video. 0:05-0:06 Cooper makes a motion with his open hand, towards his hip in a “wave like” motion. NO ONE thinks this is a wave or an invalid signal. No one.

When a returner is running towards a new area to catch the ball, they have open hands and run, they move their arms in a wave like motion. No one agrees this is a wave. Why not?

ok...a repeated motion along any axis of movement.

He waved his arm back and forth mostly in the horizontal plane three times.

He also did this exact same motion when he raised his arms to point. Is this waving also?

Of course not. Simple moving your arms in a motion isn’t waving.

Let me repeat, no one, in this history of waving has EVER waved at another person with their palm down at the ground and moved their arm from in front out to their side. It’s never happened.

ok...a repeated motion along any axis of movement.

He waved his arm back and forth mostly in the horizontal plane three times.

Let me personalize it. When you wave, where is your palm pointed?

At the ground? Is that how you wave to someone?

No of course not, it is up. Viewable.

The reason Minnesota’s coverage team immediately attempted to tackle DeJean is because precisely none of them believed what he did was a fair catch signal. Not one.

Also, this is the reason none of the on field officiating crew believed what he did was a fair catch signal nor an invalid signal. None of them thought this, none.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT