ADVERTISEMENT

Adjustments: More PT: Mulvey, Standfort, Dix. Less PT: Ulis, Perk, Bowen

The people bitching about Ulis need to ask themselves who the best guard on the court was last night. I think it was Ulis. At least half of his TOs were uncalled fouls. He did throw away 4 free points at the FT line, but otherwise he was one of the 3 best Iowa players, along with Rebraca and Connor.

The people bitching about Ulis need to ask themselves who the best guard on the court was last night. I think it was Ulis. At least half of his TOs were uncalled fouls. He did throw away 4 free points at the FT line, but otherwise he was one of the 3 best Iowa players, along with Rebraca and Connor.
We get run out of the gym last night without him. He was the only guy we had willing to attack the basket. I don’t count Rebraca as he’s a Center. Hit some pull ups, hit a three and drove hard to the basket. And yes, he turned it over too much. Our half court offense had nobody who could go by anyone so Ulis did force a few. I’ll take that to be honest. Has to hit his free throws in the last 4-5 minutes of games as a pt guard though.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I thought this was Ulis best game as Hawkeye.
he was able to get his shot and convert.
he also drew 6 fouls, so very hard to guard
he did have a few bad decisions with the Ball and missed some big FT
but that happens when you play all 20 minutes of a rugged B1G game and asking fatigued players to perform like rested players is simply not reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
I thought this was Ulis best game as Hawkeye.
he was able to get his shot and convert.
he also free 6 fouls, so very hard to guard
he did have a few bad decisions with the Ball and missed some big FT
but that happens when you play all 20 minutes of a rugged B1G game and asking fatigued players to perform like rested players is simply not reasonable.
There are two sides to the resting players issue. For most players it is hard to come in off the bench and get into the flow of the game immediately, or to adjust to the energy of the crowd. I still think you are way overblowing the issue. When you are young, many players play a LOT more than 40 min many days. Sure, it isn't always the same intensity, but most (not JoshO) can play a much more than 40 minutes. I think there are occasions in games when there aren't breaks for FTs or timeouts, where players get winded, but these guys generally get better when they have played big minutes, not worse.

Reactions: KcTo
There are two sides to the resting players issue. For most players it is hard to come in off the bench and get into the flow of the game immediately, or to adjust to the energy of the crowd. I still think you are way overblowing the issue. When you are young, many players play a LOT more than 40 min many days. Sure, it isn't always the same intensity, but most (not JoshO) can play a much more than 40 minutes. I think there are occasions in games when there aren't breaks for FTs or timeouts, where players get winded, but these guys generally get better when they have played big minutes, not worse.

im not sure about that,

I can’t remember the last time I saw an opposing big ten team play 4 guys 20mins in a half and lose?

Doesn't matter who plays for this team. They are what they are a fringe NCAA/NIT team that struggles on the road and wins a few at home. Fran coaches with no sense of urgency. Every time the team gets a lead they never extend and give it right back. Rebraca has been a nice surprise, but he isn't the 2nd option on a good team.

Fran indicTed he played the same guys all 20m in 2nd half because they didn’t look winded.
so there you have it

nobody dared ask if it led to IOWA being fatigued and only able to score 5 points in last 5 min of game

Fran indicTed he played the same guys all 20m in 2nd half because they didn’t look winded.
so there you have it

nobody dared ask if it led to IOWA being fatigued and only able to score 5 points in last 5 min of game
Neither team was scoring much down the stretch. It was one of those types of games. As it turns out, the guy who missed the game winner should have been very well rested. The four tired guys all did their jobs on the play.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't, and to always want to blame Fran is silly.

Neither team was scoring much down the stretch. It was one of those types of games. As it turns out, the guy who missed the game winner should have been very well rested. The four tired guys all did their jobs on the play.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't, and to always want to blame Fran is silly.
Correct. 3 baskets were made by both teams in the last 4 minutes. Sparty hit 2 and we made 1. And if the wide open Sandfort shot goes in it’s 2 and 2 and we win and everyone is celebrating. Our bench is weak, if @KcTo wants to call Fran out on anything it’s that. But losing a slugfest on the road by 2 isn’t all on Fran for not using his bench.

Correct. 3 baskets were made by both teams in the last 4 minutes. Sparty hit 2 and we made 1. And if the wide open Sandfort shot goes in it’s 2 and 2 and we win and everyone is celebrating. Our bench is weak, if @KcTo wants to call Fran out on anything it’s that. But losing a slugfest on the road by 2 isn’t all on Fran for not using his bench.
I respect your opinions, I disagree with your opinions.

there is a reason why every coach in America uses their bench, it’s the same reason the Fran steadfastly uses his 2 foul rule, he wants to ensure those players are available for the final 5 minutes.

for example, Kris murray attempted 0 FGA the last 6 minutes, your best player can’t even get a shot Why? (please insert your opinions here)

theres a reason why every Coach doesnt play 4 guys 20 minutes fir the entire second half, it’s a a blunder to do so.

I respect your opinions, I disagree with your opinions.

there is a reason why every coach in America uses their bench, it’s the same reason the Fran steadfastly uses his 2 foul rule, he wants to ensure those players are available for the final 5 minutes.

for example, Kris murray attempted 0 FGA the last 6 minutes, your best player can’t even get a shot Why? (please insert your opinions here)

theres a reason why every Coach doesnt play 4 guys 20 minutes fir the entire second half, it’s a a blunder to do so.
The way Kris was shooting against MSU, I don't know why you would want him to be shooting. He had no confidence in his shot all game. Sometimes your shot just isn't there, and you look for other ways to contribute. like being a decoy and making a pass to Sandfort for the open shot to win.

The way Kris was shooting against MSU, I don't know why you would want him to be shooting. He had no confidence in his shot all game. Sometimes your shot just isn't there, and you look for other ways to contribute. like being a decoy and making a pass to Sandfort for the open shot to win.
“The way Kris was shooting against MSU, I don't know why you would want him to be shooting”

i agree, if your best shooter isnt shooting well in a game, you then devise ways to get him pick and tools to drive to get him to score,

but we can agree to disagree.

Also, Dix, Stanford, Mulvey all getting more minutesk and Bowen, Perk getting less looks like the right call.

Also, Dix, Stanford, Mulvey all getting more minutesk and Bowen, Perk getting less looks like the right call.

Less PT: Ulis, Perk, Bowen​

It's Sandfort not Stanford. Once is a typo, multiple times is sloppy.

Perkins is at or above his season average of 28 minutes per game the last four games, and you failed to mention Ulis. So yeah you certainly had the the right call with respect to Bowen.

Reactions: KcTo
We need Riley to stick around for moves like he busted out after that big CMac 3-ball...

Someone should post a video of that. That looks like the moves I busted out back in the day!

Less PT: Ulis, Perk, Bowen​

It's Sandfort not Stanford. Once is a typo, multiple times is sloppy.

Perkins is at or above his season average of 28 minutes per game the last four games, and you failed to mention Ulis. So yeah you certainly had the the right call with respect to Bowen.
Ha! when you’re correct on 4 or 5 of 6 takes, you can always count on somebody on line to point out the one miss call.

to be fair, this was right before Ulis had his 2 break out games,

I may have missed you pointing to all here of your bull-ish Ulis outlook? if I did miss it , please repost where you were calling fro minutes from Ulis…

standfort, I know, damn auto correct, so you got me

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT