ADVERTISEMENT

Advice needed about cutting cable but watching the Hawks.

Just a comment for those that may not know.....there is no such thing as an “HD antenna”. Even old fashioned rabbit ears will deliver HD.

Going to be cutting the cord soon. Will try them all, but so far, YouTube TV appears to be the best option when looking at the channels I want and price. Plus, their DVR is the best out there right now.

Most curious about HD Antenna for local??..........asking about it for a friend.

Playstation Vue is the way to go to cover all your bases on sports. Outside of sports, you're getting everything a DirecTV subscription has at a much lower cost and no-nonsense channels (ie blender infomercial channels) With changes in the market as well as demand, it does tend to take a 5 dollar hike 1-2 times a year, but the current 50/month isn't terrible on most fronts. I use an Nvidia Shield upstairs on the big TV and a Roku TV downstairs, have both devices directly connected to my router, works great! You have to have decent internet, and have to know that television streaming apps ideally should not be run via WiFi if you can help it. Hard wire if possible, or try and run a cable, its not super difficult and will make a world of difference.

I can't wait until we can get to a point where we can pick and choose app bundles for a monthly cost, but we're not there yet. I watch almost no television outside of sports and hate paying to watch a few games a week.

Most curious about HD Antenna for local??..........asking about it for a friend.

I've used one before, worked great and doesn't skip a beat on HD. All OTA broadcasts are in HD now, just have to have an ideal place to put the antenna and you should be good. Before Playstation Vue offered local channels I was picking up all the ABC and NBC games on it.

Playstation Vue is the way to go to cover all your bases on sports. Outside of sports, you're getting everything a DirecTV subscription has at a much lower cost and no-nonsense channels (ie blender infomercial channels) With changes in the market as well as demand, it does tend to take a 5 dollar hike 1-2 times a year, but the current 50/month isn't terrible on most fronts. I use an Nvidia Shield upstairs on the big TV and a Roku TV downstairs, have both devices directly connected to my router, works great! You have to have decent internet, and have to know that television streaming apps ideally should not be run via WiFi if you can help it. Hard wire if possible, or try and run a cable, its not super difficult and will make a world of difference.

I can't wait until we can get to a point where we can pick and choose app bundles for a monthly cost, but we're not there yet. I watch almost no television outside of sports and hate paying to watch a few games a week.

How fast does your internet need to be for the games to play smoothly?

How fast does your internet need to be for the games to play smoothly?

40+ mbps and you can do pretty much anything you want short of downloading giant files. I think you can run Netflix on 5 mbps. Anyone who tells you you need gigabyte internet is ridiculous...at that point your overpaying for internet; you don't need that unless you have approximately 80 devices in your house or are operating a business.

Almost a year into running PS Vue on a Firestick and no complaints here. There is the occasional freeze up and pixelation but nothing bad. Plus you can put the app on your phone and view wherever.

40+ mbps and you can do pretty much anything you want short of downloading giant files. I think you can run Netflix on 5 mbps. Anyone who tells you you need gigabyte internet is ridiculous...at that point your overpaying for internet; you don't need that unless you have approximately 80 devices in your house or are operating a business.

Thanks. This is very helpful. I'm definitely overpaying for my internet...

Thanks. This is very helpful. I'm definitely overpaying for my internet...
We reduced our internet from 60 mbps (or 75 can't remember) to 25 mbps and haven't noticed any discernable difference in netflix or Youtube TV.... definitely recommend reducing speeds

So, I discontinued cable for about the last 4 months and so far, the family is not missing it one bit. We now use an older generation of Apple TV and surprisely, that completely satisfies my wife and 6 year-old daughter. As for me, I literally only watch college football and college wrestling and am not interested in much else on TV. Unfortunately, in past years, I was forced to have cable in order to view those things at around $230 per month. Just a huge rip-off in my opinion. But I love the Hawks and absolutely cannot live without them. However, this year for the first time, it looks as though I may finally be able to tell the cable company to shove it for good. But before I do, I was hoping to run the possible hawkeye coverage scenarios to see what your opinions were and if I could do it and perhaps some of you have some experience and wisdom to pass along and see if maybe Ican pull this off.

Here is what I was thinking about doing. I'm thinking of purchasing a Roku 4 with a SlingTV subscription. That covers me when the Hawks play on all of the ESPN channels. (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU) .... Subscription is $25 per month.

Then, I was thinking of using BTN2Go for when the Hawks are on the Big 10 channel. That app is available on the Roku and will usually ask me for a log-in. However, to get around that, I was going to purchase a year subscription to BTN Plus. From what I understand, BTN Plus will enable me to use BTN2Go independently. (Still not for sure on this though) ... BTN Plus subscription is around $100/year for the conference pass.

If for some reason the Hawks are on a different channel than those listed, I would just listen to them on the radio like the old days. Then watch them on a delayed basis on youtube. I saw last year they uploaded games about a week later.

So based on these scenarios, am I calculating this right or is there something else that I'm missing here? Do any of you have any experience with BTN Plus? That's the part I'm probably most vague about. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
First off, why buy a TV that has Roku installed. Buy a good set that is not a smart TV, that is obsolete in 3 years. We older folks all learned our lesson back in the 70's, individual components is the way to go. BTW, the Hawks hardly played on ESPN or the BTN this last year. Mosty Fox Sports and TBS.

We reduced our internet from 60 mbps (or 75 can't remember) to 25 mbps and haven't noticed any discernable difference in netflix or Youtube TV.... definitely recommend reducing speeds
I wish we could do that.
Would use too many gb though and would probably pay even more than the 100 plan :(

First off, why buy a TV that has Roku installed. Buy a good set that is not a smart TV, that is obsolete in 3 years. We older folks all learned our lesson back in the 70's, individual components is the way to go. BTW, the Hawks hardly played on ESPN or the BTN this last year. Mosty Fox Sports and TBS.
I haven't looked at any tvs lately, but I wouldn't be surprised if everything is "smart" these days.....
obsolete tv in 3 years? guess I'm rocking some retro ones :D

If you go the route of area 51 you need a kodi box of some sort. So Fire TV work the best for the buck. Also, you will need a VPN. I forget how much it costs all together but I believe somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 bucks for one TV and the another 3 of so for the VPN. Also, if you are going this route, then pay for Real Debrid or Premiumize and download Venom or one of the other Exodus Forks. You can watch TV 24/7 and not run out of content you want to watch. If you have Netflix and Amazon Prime, that is a bonus, but frankly you can watch the content on Venom for free.

Fantastic thread! I just recently purchased a Fire TV after the picture went out on my old samsung. Currently have comcast with dvr and internet for $130 per month. It all works fine and no issues with buffering or lagging.

From what I am reading it sounds like I should get the firestick for PS Vue and get an HD antenna for local stations. Does that sound like a good place to start?

Fantastic thread! I just recently purchased a Fire TV after the picture went out on my old samsung. Currently have comcast with dvr and internet for $130 per month. It all works fine and no issues with buffering or lagging.

From what I am reading it sounds like I should get the firestick for PS Vue and get an HD antenna for local stations. Does that sound like a good place to start?
Sounds like a good place to start to me... I went the apple TV + YoutubeTV route but if you already have a fire tv I would look at the route you're going. I was unsure how the streaming services worked but really happy I made the switch and was able to lower my monthly bill by about 50$/mo.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Sounds like a good place to start to me... I went the apple TV + YoutubeTV route but if you already have a fire tv I would look at the route you're going. I was unsure how the streaming services worked but really happy I made the switch and was able to lower my monthly bill by about 50$/mo.
Thanks flyfish!

I just signed up for Dish Network after DirecTV tried raising my bill again. I get all the sports channels with a main Hopper and three wireless Joeys for $90/month which is locked in for the entire two years of my contract. Not gonna beat that deal and the ease of use.

Reactions: unclesammy
So, I discontinued cable for about the last 4 months and so far, the family is not missing it one bit. We now use an older generation of Apple TV and surprisely, that completely satisfies my wife and 6 year-old daughter. As for me, I literally only watch college football and college wrestling and am not interested in much else on TV. Unfortunately, in past years, I was forced to have cable in order to view those things at around $230 per month. Just a huge rip-off in my opinion. But I love the Hawks and absolutely cannot live without them. However, this year for the first time, it looks as though I may finally be able to tell the cable company to shove it for good. But before I do, I was hoping to run the possible hawkeye coverage scenarios to see what your opinions were and if I could do it and perhaps some of you have some experience and wisdom to pass along and see if maybe Ican pull this off.

Here is what I was thinking about doing. I'm thinking of purchasing a Roku 4 with a SlingTV subscription. That covers me when the Hawks play on all of the ESPN channels. (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU) .... Subscription is $25 per month.

Then, I was thinking of using BTN2Go for when the Hawks are on the Big 10 channel. That app is available on the Roku and will usually ask me for a log-in. However, to get around that, I was going to purchase a year subscription to BTN Plus. From what I understand, BTN Plus will enable me to use BTN2Go independently. (Still not for sure on this though) ... BTN Plus subscription is around $100/year for the conference pass.

If for some reason the Hawks are on a different channel than those listed, I would just listen to them on the radio like the old days. Then watch them on a delayed basis on youtube. I saw last year they uploaded games about a week later.

So based on these scenarios, am I calculating this right or is there something else that I'm missing here? Do any of you have any experience with BTN Plus? That's the part I'm probably most vague about. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Find 5 other people to split a YouTube TV subscription. $55/6. Great for football and b-ball season. I would go in.

Kodi is an App you put on your Fire TV. Go to AddonsForKodi on Reddit and read it. Look for Real Debrid or Premiumize me. Then you decide which of the streaming services you want. I have DirectNow locked in for life at $40.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT