ADVERTISEMENT

Advice needed about cutting cable but watching the Hawks.

Jun 25, 2010
So, I discontinued cable for about the last 4 months and so far, the family is not missing it one bit. We now use an older generation of Apple TV and surprisely, that completely satisfies my wife and 6 year-old daughter. As for me, I literally only watch college football and college wrestling and am not interested in much else on TV. Unfortunately, in past years, I was forced to have cable in order to view those things at around $230 per month. Just a huge rip-off in my opinion. But I love the Hawks and absolutely cannot live without them. However, this year for the first time, it looks as though I may finally be able to tell the cable company to shove it for good. But before I do, I was hoping to run the possible hawkeye coverage scenarios to see what your opinions were and if I could do it and perhaps some of you have some experience and wisdom to pass along and see if maybe Ican pull this off.

Here is what I was thinking about doing. I'm thinking of purchasing a Roku 4 with a SlingTV subscription. That covers me when the Hawks play on all of the ESPN channels. (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU) .... Subscription is $25 per month.

Then, I was thinking of using BTN2Go for when the Hawks are on the Big 10 channel. That app is available on the Roku and will usually ask me for a log-in. However, to get around that, I was going to purchase a year subscription to BTN Plus. From what I understand, BTN Plus will enable me to use BTN2Go independently. (Still not for sure on this though) ... BTN Plus subscription is around $100/year for the conference pass.

If for some reason the Hawks are on a different channel than those listed, I would just listen to them on the radio like the old days. Then watch them on a delayed basis on youtube. I saw last year they uploaded games about a week later.

So based on these scenarios, am I calculating this right or is there something else that I'm missing here? Do any of you have any experience with BTN Plus? That's the part I'm probably most vague about. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: perryhawk
I have an Apple TV 3. It is fine for me bc my parents have mediacom so I can get ESPN3, Fox Sports Go, and Big Ten 2 Go. That may be different for you though. If you don't have those options then maybe look to live streams like First Row or Wiziwig.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeKawalski
Do any of you have any experience with BTN Plus? That's the part I'm probably most vague about. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sorry don't have experience, but I don't think you get access to the live games with BTN Plus subscription (see bolded). But right after that it says, that you may get some "student produced live games" but I doubt you're getting FB or MBB live with that subscription. I'd email them to be sure.

BTN Plus programming includes non-televised games and events available on BTN2Go with a purchase of a BTN Plus subscription. BTN Plus content features live games produced by students at Big Ten universities. A subscription to BTN Plus on BTN2Go does not require a Big Ten Network TV subscription with a TV provider - See more at: http://btn.com/btn2go-big-ten-digital-network/#sthash.kVyM6S99.dpuf

If it were me, I'd look into Playstation Vue if you have a Playstation4, Playstation3, Amazon Fire Stick, or Roku. It even has DVR although without a Playstation, I'm not sure where you'd store the show. They even give you a free trial for 7 days.

$34.99 for 70 channels including BTN, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/

Sorry don't have experience, but I don't think you get access to the live games with BTN Plus subscription (see bolded). But right after that it says, that you may get some "student produced live games" but I doubt you're getting FB or MBB live with that subscription. I'd email them to be sure.

BTN Plus programming includes non-televised games and events available on BTN2Go with a purchase of a BTN Plus subscription. BTN Plus content features live games produced by students at Big Ten universities. A subscription to BTN Plus on BTN2Go does not require a Big Ten Network TV subscription with a TV provider - See more at: http://btn.com/btn2go-big-ten-digital-network/#sthash.kVyM6S99.dpuf

If it were me, I'd look into Playstation Vue if you have a Playstation4, Playstation3, Amazon Fire Stick, or Roku. It even has DVR although without a Playstation, I'm not sure where you'd store the show. They even give you a free trial for 7 days.

This. We cut the cord last month and have been happy with PlayStation Vue. Seems like you get a lot of value for the money. A few things to note:

- The PlayStation Vue DVR feature works pretty slick. The shows are stored on the cloud (not locally, so you don't have to have a PlayStation to use it), but I believe the shows are only kept for 30 days.

- You'll need to check the PS Vue web site to find out the exact channel packages available for your zip code. I think the packages vary slightly by region, so you need to be sure you're getting a package that includes the BTN.

- We're streaming PS Vue through a Roku 2 device and it works quite well. However, the PS Vue service just recently became available on the Roku, and they have not yet implemented their comprehensive channel guide on that device. The guide apparently is available if you're streaming via PlayStation, Fire Stick or Chromecast. I'm guessing they'll eventually add it for the Roku but it's not there yet.

- The actual signup process for PS Vue is kind of confusing (at least it was for an old fart like me), so if you know someone who has already subscribed to it you might want to give them a call when you're ready to do it.

- PS Vue (at least in our area) has Fox On Demand, ABC On Demand and NBC On Demand, but doesn't live-stream any of those channels, so you'll need to purchase a good HD antenna for your local channels. The Hawks do occasionally play on ABC so you don't want to miss those games. :eek:)

- Since you're getting rid of your cable package, you'll need to check with your ISP to see if they impose a streaming limit when you're only purchasing high speed internet. We used to get our TV and internet through ATT. When we cancelled our UVerse package we kept the ATT internet service, but they imposed a monthly 600 GB streaming limit on us. That's a huge amount of data and we didn't come close to reaching that limit our first month, but it is something to consider if your household does a greater-than-average amount of streaming.

I hope this info is helpful. I was a little leery of cutting the cord, but so far it's been great and we're now paying half what we were for our UVerse package.

Good luck!

HawkinMO, thanks for Vue details. Do you have any idea how BTN works for football games? On a busy football Saturday, how do you know you'll get the Iowa game? That is my biggest question about Vue.

HawkinMO, thanks for Vue details. Do you have any idea how BTN works for football games? On a busy football Saturday, how do you know you'll get the Iowa game? That is my biggest question about Vue.

Not sure how that works yet since we've only had PS Vue a month, but it does appear to have the primary BTN channel and all the alternate/overflow channels, so if the Hawks are on BTN you should be able to watch them.

One other nice thing about PS Vue is that there are no long term contracts involved. If you sign up for it and don't like it you can cancel right away with no penalties. We were able to sign up through our Roku with a free one week trial period. If you find out you don't like it during that first week you can cancel and not be charged anything.

Not sure I'd want to stream any live games anymore, seems like the Internet likes to take a nice nasty little dive when sports events come on that are watched by a lot of people! I Normaly pick up the base tv pkg to bundle with my Internet right before the football season and the cable company is more than happy to give my a promo on my Internet and TV pkg.. I get one one hd DVR box and download the tv app to my roku for other tv.. If the net starts lagging or buffering I'm covered and I can record games I miss.. Can't play around during the season with a bad Internet connection.. Then I cut it off after march madness then go back to my regular Internet based tv watching.. But people you really aren't cutting the cable because you still have Internet , which is cable as well for the most part, so they got us.. we can either get Internet and buy all these other things to watch what we want or just get a cable tv pkg.. They know we are going to consume video products if it's by cable tv or Internet stream so pick ur poisin LOL!! And hope you live in a area where ur cable company doesn't have contracts!

Last edited:
Reactions: And1Hawk
I used the Roku last football season and it wasn't smooth. I have my dads login info through Dish so I'm able to have WatchESPN, BTN2go, etc. I had sling for a while but it seemed to hardly ever be in HD. (Could have been my internet). I cancelled that after postseason baseball.

The WatchESPN, BTN2go apps seemed to freeze a lot and I would have to go back and restart them. So I either had to watch the Hawks in SD or with some freezing involved. (Probably my internet).

There were quite a few times though that I had the Hawks on the Roku TV and another game on my iPad with no issues. It just came with a lot of uneasiness about whether or not I was gonna see every play.

Thanks for the tips on PlayStation Vue guys. I'm going to look into it. I don't have a PlayStation but I'm sure I can find a PS3 for pretty cheap. Does it seem to work pretty well on the PS3?

Great thread. I just canceled my subscription to Sling and signed up for PlayStation Vue. Watching Wisconsin v. Minnesota football (2014) on the BTN as I type. PlaySation Vue is great tip as you get all the ESPN, all the BTN with alternate channels and Fox Sports 1&2. You only get ESPN and ESPN2 with Sling. I'm using my Amazon TV to watch it and it works great.

I used a Roku to watch all the games that Iowa played on ESPNU last year as well as some of the pre-season basketball games. It worked well, with none of the freezing that SWIowaHawks reported. I think internet was probably the issue.

Any tips on getting ESPNU with Amazon Firestick? It has Kodi, but that's not exactly reliable.

They are going to get the money one way or another from you eventually if you really want the end product. The 'cord cutting' benefit will be short lived as providers will eventually be emboldened to jack up the Internet service price knowing they are now in a much more enviable position being the gateway to any product. Providers will continue to purchase one another until they get down to a few big players and walla they have the monopoly on that key piece of the puzzle. Until then enjoy jumping through all kinds of hoops trying to save a penny.

I used a Roku to watch all the games that Iowa played on ESPNU last year as well as some of the pre-season basketball games. It worked well, with none of the freezing that SWIowaHawks reported. I think internet was probably the issue.
Was it always in HD for you?

You were paying $230 a month? Holy crap isn't there some watered-down version with dish or DirecTV that you could get everything you want and still pay around the same as what you're going to pay to do what you are talking about and avoid all of these hassles?

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Yeah I was able to watch everything in HD. I have the Roku 2
I would doubt it but I wonder if me having the Roku 1 makes a difference. We are supposed to be on the second tier of internet speed and they assure me that I should be able to be streaming two difference devices no problem.

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll try the Vue free preview.

For those with Vue, have you paid a bill yet? I'm wondering the actual final price compared to the advertised price.

Reactions: unclesammy
You were paying $230 a month? Holy crap isn't there some watered-down version with dish or DirecTV that you could get everything you want and still pay around the same as what you're going to pay to do what you are talking about and avoid all of these hassles?

Believe me, I looked at every option I could. The apartment complex I live in only allows Cox or Direct TV. I've had Direct tv before at another place I live and liked it but my only option for internet is Cox. So it didn't make any sense to get Direct TV because I would still be paying almost the same if I wanted to have internet too. I might save a little but really not anything significant. It sucked because all I wanted to get cable for was to watch Iowa play. Then I had to add on Big 10 network. Then add on Big 10 expansion channels, then add DVR. They nickel and dime you to death. So far, it looks like I can pay around $40 a month for PS Vue and I am free to downgrade after football season if I want too.

Thanks for this suggestion. I've never heard of Vue until you posted this. I'm really glad I made one last post before I went ahead and did what I originally planned to do. Thanks for taking the time to pass along this info. I'm about to run out and get a Roku now. Then it looks like the PS Vue option is much better for BTN than the btn2go and BTN Plus.

I'm sure things are going to evolve but I'm hoping for the better. I have been wanting to cut the cable for years now but couldn't because I wanted to see the Hawks. I live in California so it's not as easy going to a bar and seeing the Hawks like it would be if I was living in Iowa. But this year for the first time, I'm starting to see a way I can cut the cable and it will save me alot. So I would say it's worth it. I'm hoping that for a guy like me that just likes to watch football and wrestling, that I can just pay for just those channels.

They are going to get the money one way or another from you eventually if you really want the end product. The 'cord cutting' benefit will be short lived as providers will eventually be emboldened to jack up the Internet service price knowing they are now in a much more enviable position being the gateway to any product. Providers will continue to purchase one another until they get down to a few big players and walla they have the monopoly on that key piece of the puzzle. Until then enjoy jumping through all kinds of hoops trying to save a penny.

Go to a bar!

That option is on the table for the games I can't get. I just have to find a bar that shows the Hawks. Also, not sure if that would save me much money with all the beer I'd be drinking. I have to add that just because I live in California doesn't mean I don't still have some Iowa boy in me. In other words, I love drinkin beer!

Last edited:
Reactions: WildTurk
I would doubt it but I wonder if me having the Roku 1 makes a difference. We are supposed to be on the second tier of internet speed and they assure me that I should be able to be streaming two difference devices no problem.
Yeah I'm really not sure. I never tried streaming multiple devices, so I'm not sure if that would make an impact. It could just be the difference between the 1 and 2? Who knows?

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Thanks for this suggestion. I've never heard of Vue until you posted this. I'm really glad I made one last post before I went ahead and did what I originally planned to do. Thanks for taking the time to pass along this info. I'm about to run out and get a Roku now. Then it looks like the PS Vue option is much better for BTN than the btn2go and BTN Plus.

You'll get BTN2GO now by default. I just checked and one of the "providers" is Playstation Vue. So you should be able to login with your Vue account and access BTN2GO just like I do with my DirecTV account currently. But yes, no BTN Plus subscription any longer.

I have 2 Amazon Fire TVs installed with Playstation VUE, Netfilx, Amazon Prime and Kodi.

Playstation VUE has BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network and NFL Network/RedZone is supposed to be coming soon. My package costs $35 and like others have said it is a better service than Sling (plus sling does not have BTN).

I also have a program called Kodi running on my Fire TVs. Kodi is a torrenting program that basically has every movie and tv show ever made on demand. A very Netflix like click and play interface. It can also be used to watch live sports and has essentially every pro sports game streaming on it but it is not 100% reliable with some buffering issues.

I have dish and don't have to pay remotely close to $230 to get all the channels that may be playing hawk games. Then after football and bb season i downgrade the package.

We cut the cord, as well, and have tried every way imaginable to get BTN. Simply put, to use BTN2Go/Plus, you MUST have a BTN subscription via a TV provider. You can not get a "stream only" subscription. But the Playstation thing sounds appealing...

I can add an attestation for the Playstation Vue app (via Amazon Fire Stick). We use their middle tier package that includes the ESPN suite (excluding ESPNews) and BTN (including the alternates). With a reliable internet connection this will get you any games televised on those networks for a reasonable monthly price (I think we're at like $35-40/mo). I've had no complaints. We can also pair it with a digital antenna to pick up ABC for the regionally televised games. The Iowa City reception isn't perfect, but for the cost savings, I can live with the reception for any games on the local channels.

$35-40 per month for a handful of football games represents reasonable? Must be nice.

Bar/friend's house remain solid options. We need a pay-per-view option. It's worth a few shekels per game.

The $35-40 is for the entire TV service. I am getting almost every channel that I actually cared about any of the programs on paying significantly more than that through DirecTV. For the purposes of this thread, I only included the pertinent channels, but there are many more included in the service; if you care, you can google and figure out which channels are included.

The $35-40 is for the entire TV service. I am getting almost every channel that I actually cared about any of the programs on paying significantly more than that through DirecTV. For the purposes of this thread, I only included the pertinent channels, but there are many more included in the service; if you care, you can google and figure out which channels are included.
I see. I was reading into it that you were only interested in the football.

$35-40 per month for a handful of football games represents reasonable? Must be nice.

Bar/friend's house remain solid options. We need a pay-per-view option. It's worth a few shekels per game.

Take that kind of attitude over to HROT and you'll get shelled brah.

Agree with Turk. Find a bar. No, you probably won't save money. I am pretty sure I didn't. But good beer, food made by Iowa ex-pats, and new friends. Last year with this group made it worth every penny.

I'm in the same boat as the OP......I have a Roku and will be giving ps vue a shot...ONE question: Can you watch different programs on 2 tv's at the same time? Or does that require another subscription?

I'm in the same boat as the OP......I have a Roku and will be giving ps vue a shot...ONE question: Can you watch different programs on 2 tv's at the same time? Or does that require another subscription?

You can stream on 2 devices at the same time. What model is your Roku? I would say that the Fire TV (not Fire Stick) is a better device to use when it comes to responsiveness and the guide feature.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT