ADVERTISEMENT

Advil Launches “Pain Equity Project” To Tackle Racism In Pain Management. That's right, pain management is racist.

Except:

“Extant research has shown that, relative to white patients, black patients are less likely to be given pain medications and, if given pain medications, they receive lower quantities”
For some reason I couldnt post a link to the study.

I don’t know anything about the story in the OP, but pain management disparity is real. My wife has educated perinatal providers for almost 20 years. One thing she has been consistently working on is the problem that black women are offered childbirth pain management at a lower rate and denied it at a higher rate than white women.

There are widespread biases that blacks are stronger and more athletic than whites, there are those who have proven that bias extends to the perception of blacks as more able to endure pain.

Except:

“Extant research has shown that, relative to white patients, black patients are less likely to be given pain medications and, if given pain medications, they receive lower quantities”

I don’t know anything about the story in the OP, but pain management disparity is real. My wife has educated perinatal providers for almost 20 years. One thing she has been consistently working on is the problem that black women are offered childbirth pain management at a lower rate and denied it at a higher rate than white women.

There are widespread biases that blacks are stronger and more athletic than whites, there are those who have proven that bias extends to the perception of blacks as more able to endure pain.
This. It’s been a known issue for many years.

Except:

did it control for socio-economic status? I'd expect people in lower income brackets to be viewed as more suspect in drug abuse.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
did it control for socio-economic status? I'd expect people in lower income brackets to be viewed as more suspect in drug abuse.
From another study.

“These results suggest that individuals with lower socioeconomic status do not receive equal prescription medicine opportunities to manage their chronic pain conditions.”

Lower income levels are also less likely to be prescribed medication. There is no indication, at least that I can find, that shows a racial or socioeconomic factor in abuse of prescription drugs.

Not read the article but does it control for where & who administers pain management?

Lower income/urban will skew heavily towards ER treatment and I could see where ER departments are triaging and administer the minimum amount.

Whereas suburban/middle class have multiple options from a PPC to “doc-in-a-box” clinics who may have more time &knowledge to care for the patient compared to an ER.

If so, that’s not racism, just socioeconomics.

Or, is this only studying ER based visits?

Fair points but a deeper dig with more questions need to be answered.
Is there a higher percentage of Black women on Medicaid whose guidelines restrict what a hospital can dispense and be reimbursed for?
Are there more Black people overall without any insurance who arrive at an ER in pain and hospitals know they won’t be reimbursed at all so they want to control the losses?
I’m not justifying anything. I would just like to turn the front page and read more facts and see breakdowns of the statistics.

From another study.

“These results suggest that individuals with lower socioeconomic status do not receive equal prescription medicine opportunities to manage their chronic pain conditions.”

Lower income levels are also less likely to be prescribed medication. There is no indication, at least that I can find, that shows a racial or socioeconomic factor in abuse of prescription drugs.
That would be an interesting query. I wouldn't be surprised if opioid abuse, at least in the beginning, was associated with lower income levels.

Certainly I think there is that bias -- if you're poor you're more likely to abuse opioids, take meth, take crack etc

Studies show white liberals are much more apt to believe everything is racist. Examples include but are not limited to math, pain meds, sunny days, cloudy days, zebras, promotions, demotions, black cats, etc.

That would be an interesting query. I wouldn't be surprised if opioid abuse, at least in the beginning, was associated with lower income levels.

Certainly I think there is that bias -- if you're poor you're more likely to abuse opioids, take meth, take crack etc

Or perhaps if you abuse those things you are more likely to become poor. I have no evidence to support this but I’d argue that the wealthy are as likely to be abusers of substances as the poor.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Studies show white liberals are much more apt to believe everything is racist. Examples include but are not limited to math, pain meds, sunny days, cloudy days, zebras, promotions, demotions, black cats, etc.

I’m sure you thought this was funny when you typed it.

Or perhaps if you abuse those things you are more likely to become poor. I have no evidence to support this but I’d argue that the wealthy are as likely to be abusers of substances as the poor.

Think in part it depends on the drug. If you're better off socio-economically you may also be less likely to find yourself in a bad habit with a drug. Anyway, I'm sure good data is out there on this.

Anyway, I'm sure there is some bias out there where suspected drug use and socio-economic status and or race is concerned. (although putting it altogether where outcomes are concerned with drug prescription is a little tricky)

Buried in this idiot maga circle jerk is a legitimate discussion about a real issue. Pain management, like many things in healthcare, shows a disparity amongst races and socioeconomic status.
Blacks are lazy and fake pain in order to get free drugs from hospitals that I pay for, and I keep falling behind in life because the blacks get all the free stuff.

Signed,

MAGA HORT

Is there a higher percentage of Black women on Medicaid whose guidelines restrict what a hospital can dispense and be reimbursed for?
Are there more Black people overall without any insurance who arrive at an ER in pain and hospitals know they won’t be reimbursed at all so they want to control the losses?
I’m not justifying anything. I would just like to turn the front page and read more facts and see breakdowns of the statistics.
I am betting you could find this information if you wanted to. And, I don't want you too get mad at me, but, do you notice a subtle bias in your comments that the hospital staff might automatically assume a black might not pay up like a white would? I spent 11 hours overnight in the ER in UIHC recently. I saw all kinds come in and out, but nobody was turned away, and I assume most of us got the same care and attention due to the stated mission of the hospital.
There were people like me who have excellent insurance. They're people who were clearly homeless. There was a young couple who went into the bathroom and came out in an altered state. There was Gary and Maurice who I learned from overhearing conversations are frequent visitors. Gary clearly knows the rules and pushed up them as he made a lot of people uncomfortable, just not enough to get kicked out, even though I saw a U cop go up to him 3 times. We were all treated. The system is stressed, the staff was overworked, but even Gary and Maurice were treated competently and compassionately.

Reactions: 504hawk

this could be interpreted in a way that suggests that white women are racially stereotyped as less abled, subjected to drugs and associated risks unnecessarily, and financially exploited at a very vulnerable moment.

Reactions: JMNSHO
I am betting you could find this information if you wanted to. And, I don't want you too get mad at me, but, do you notice a subtle bias in your comments that the hospital staff might automatically assume a black might not pay up like a white would? I spent 11 hours overnight in the ER in UIHC recently. I saw all kinds come in and out, but nobody was turned away, and I assume most of us got the same care and attention due to the stated mission of the hospital.
There were people like me who have excellent insurance. They're people who were clearly homeless. There was a young couple who went into the bathroom and came out in an altered state. There was Gary and Maurice who I learned from overhearing conversations are frequent visitors. Gary clearly knows the rules and pushed up them as he made a lot of people uncomfortable, just not enough to get kicked out, even though I saw a U cop go up to him 3 times. We were all treated. The system is stressed, the staff was overworked, but even Gary and Maurice were treated competently and compassionately.
I had a close family member go without insurance for a time and have to go to the ER with a kidney stone, and they were treated very well. I saw no one turned away or come in due to an overdose or abuse any substances.
I’m not mad at you because I already know that you have a bias and dislike for me, so your insinuation is both expected and wrong.

I had a close family member go without insurance for a time and have to go to the ER with a kidney stone, and they were treated very well. I saw no one turned away or come in due to an overdose or abuse any substances.
I’m not mad at you because I already know that you have a bias and dislike for me, so your insinuation is both expected and wrong.
If this is true, why did you suggest in your post above that suggested treatment is curtailed based on ability to pay...see below

"Is there a higher percentage of Black women on Medicaid whose guidelines restrict what a hospital can dispense and be reimbursed for?
Are there more Black people overall without any insurance who arrive at an ER in pain and hospitals know they won’t be reimbursed at all so they want to control the losses?"

Reactions: bojihawk44

This is absolutely correct.

Reactions: JMNSHO
Medical students believe all sorts of myths like black skin is thicker and they’re less prone to pain.

See, Serena Williams blood clot issue. She was the most successful female athlete in the world and St. Mary’s didn’t listen to her when she told them about her medical history.

If this is true, why did you suggest in your post above that suggested treatment is curtailed based on ability to pay...see below

"Is there a higher percentage of Black women on Medicaid whose guidelines restrict what a hospital can dispense and be reimbursed for?
Are there more Black people overall without any insurance who arrive at an ER in pain and hospitals know they won’t be reimbursed at all so they want to control the losses?"
You and likely Lucas as well approached my post with a predetermined thought about me and thus what I would say. That’s fine and it doesn’t bother me a bit.
You decided to ignore that I prefaced my remarks with saying that there were fair points and I’d like to understand more. My remarks were more posed as questions rather than personal opinions.
And having someone in my family in the healthcare management field - at a very senior level - express frustration at the low rates and limitations imposed on hospitals by the government and the hospital system led me to ask those questions.
Surely you don’t think I’m trying to justify a two tier system of treatment. Or do you?
Surely reading interpretation and comprehension is not a weak point for you? It’s sometimes difficult to tell given the tendency to read what people post and depending on what you think about them twist what they’re saying so that it reinforces said opinion.
In any event I don’t really care. I know what I meant.

Biases? By and large, African Americans ARE stronger and more athletic than whites—they’re faster too. Comparing pro and college rosters with demographic data from the US easily tells that story.

Interesting theory that this might drive doctors to believe they have a higher pain tolerance.

Biases? By and large, African Americans ARE stronger and more athletic than whites—they’re faster too. Comparing pro and college rosters with demographic data from the US easily tells that story.

Interesting theory that this might drive doctors to believe they have a higher pain tolerance.
^Are you under the impression that biases are somehow inherently invalid?^

this could be interpreted in a way that suggests that white women are racially stereotyped as less abled, subjected to drugs and associated risks unnecessarily, and financially exploited at a very vulnerable moment.
^If that was true^, wouldn't we be seeing an epidemic of overprescribing-related problems with negative impacts reaching cohorts such as economically empowered white women, who are typically more insulated from such trends? Oh, wait. It probably is true.

^Nothing wrong with any of this.^ This is a "yes, and" kind of a thing, rather that a "no, but" kind of a thing.

Except:

Don't bring logic into this...MAGA needs something to bitch about

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT