ADVERTISEMENT

After income tax cut, Iowa GOP eyes property taxes

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
After passing the largest income tax cut in state history last year, Iowa Republicans are looking for even more opportunities to lessen the tax burden on businesses and individuals.

Although it’s a target-rich environment for Republicans, who control the governor’s office and both chambers of the Iowa Legislature, it’s not clear which taxes they will vote to cut or by how much in the legislative sessions that starts Jan. 14. While they aren’t sharing details of the plans, legislative leaders say they heard a lot of concern about property taxes when they were on the campaign trail last summer and fall.

“Here’s what we hear at the door: ‘How is it that I read in the newspaper that my tax rate is going down yet I open my bill and it has gone up?’” House Speaker Linda Upmeyer, R-Clear Lake, said.

She sees a need for more “truth-in-taxation, some transparency in the process” so homeowners know how their property taxes are being used.

“If local government has a need to raise taxes they should make clear to Iowans why and what for,” Upmeyer said.

GOP leaders seem less likely to look again at state income taxes after enacting a cut of $2.86 billion when phased in over six years.

“I don’t think there is a huge amount of interest in doing a whole lot more in that arena at this moment,” the speaker said. “We’ve heard from people they want this fixed or that fixed. Some of those things were intentional. So whether they get fixed or not, I don’t know. I don’t anticipate big changes.”

Senate President Charles Schneider, R-West Des Moines, and Senate Majority Leader Jack Whitver, R-Ankeny, are on the same page.

“A lot of what we want to do this year is fix any kind of minor issues that have presented themselves to us,” Schneider told a Des Moines Partnership legislative priorities luncheon in December.

Democrats, according to House Minority Leader Todd Prichard, D-Charles City, “are going to be for making the tax system fair.” But it’s too soon to be talking about sweeping changes.

“We don’t even really know what the impact of tax reform passed in 2018 will be,” Prichard said.

While tax collections over the last six months have been increasing, Republican leaders are tapping the brakes on suggestions they should accelerate the phase-in triggers in the 2018 tax package that must be met so Iowans could feel tax relief sooner.

“We want to make sure that it’s working the way we want, that our budget is sound and then maybe next year start taking a look at that to see if we want to accelerate that if we need to make changes to that or further reduce taxes,” Whitver said. “Accelerating the triggers is for the future.”

Upmeyer believes the triggers were “fairly aggressive” and any action to accelerate them will depend on the economy.

“If ag economy doesn’t pick up, I think (accelerating triggers) will be a stretch,” she said.

Like Upmeyer, Whitver believes there’s work that can be done this year on property taxes. His concern is that regardless of what local government officials say they are doing to hold the line or lower property taxes, “they continue to go up.”

Considering that a home typically is a taxpayer’s most valuable asset, rising property values usually is seen as a good thing, said Lucas Beenken of the Iowa Association of Counties.

The association understands that some property owners — seniors on fixed incomes, for example — might face challenges as home values and property tax bills go up, Beenken said, “But the thing to remember is that supervisors set one tax rate that is applied to all properties.”

“If legislators want to target some of those issues, it would be a state issue. Targeted tax credits to address those situations should be paid for by the state” rather than by the counties, he said.

Statewide, Beenken added, property taxes account for about half a county’s revenue, so any change by legislators to decrease that would affect services to residents.

Beenken also pointed out that property owners have the ability to influence local government spending.

“The budget process is done in public. The budget proposals all are public records. There’s a public hearing. The whole thing is very transparent,” he said.

“I’m not against assessments going up,” Whitver said. “The question is, what is a reasonable rate of taxes to pay on your house?”

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

Senate Republicans aren’t ready to roll out a property tax plan, but Whitver told Ways and Means Committee Chairman Randy Feenstra, R-Hull, “to look at property taxes holistically to see where we can make it better for the taxpayer.”

The talk of more tax changes has Senate Minority Leader Janet Petersen, D-Des Moines, bracing for the worst.

Democrats did not put up any votes for the tax package Republicans passed in the final days of the 2018 session and Petersen doesn’t think that’s likely to change this year.

“You know, they certainly campaigned on putting more money in Iowans’ pocketbooks. That hasn’t kicked in yet,” Petersen told Des Moines Partnership members at their luncheon. “If you are an average Iowa income earner it would take 15 weeks for the tax cut to pay for your lunch.”

Yet the 2018 tax changes could mean a reduction in state revenue of $400 million this year, according to Rep. John Forbes, D-Urbandale.

“My concern is being able to fund the vital programs like education, our state Medicaid program and things like that,” he said.

Any talk of further tax cuts at this point only shows Petersen that Republicans’ “priorities are in the wrong spot.”

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...wners-cedar-rapids-iowa-eastern-iowa-20190107

The irony here is rich. A big property tax cut means a lot of small towns would drop their own police departments, or certainly cut them back.Of course, most of the small towns are Red, so I hope they can live with a 30 minute response time when old Vern has a heart attack or his house gets broken into.

The irony here is rich. A big property tax cut means a lot of small towns would drop their own police departments, or certainly cut them back.Of course, most of the small towns are Red, so I hope they can live with a 30 minute response time when old Vern has a heart attack or his house gets broken into.

What's your definition of a small town? I would guess around 2/3 rds the towns in the state of Iowa have volunteer fire departments and ambulance services. I also think you answered your second part when you mentioned small towns being red. Break in, get the dead. I would venture to guess that about the same number of towns in Iowa are either covered by the County Sheriff's Office or has only part time local police services.

I don't know what kind of cuts they are talking about but something does need to be done with property taxes. I live in a town of less than 2,000 and I pay $7,000 a year. We have a volunteer fire department and a part time police department. It's made it difficult to get new families to move here and has hurt our school enrollment. Probably more of a local / county tax issue than a state tax issue though.

What's your definition of a small town? I would guess around 2/3 rds the towns in the state of Iowa have volunteer fire departments and ambulance services. I also think you answered your second part when you mentioned small towns being red. Break in, get the dead. I would venture to guess that about the same number of towns in Iowa are either covered by the County Sheriff's Office or has only part time local police services.

I don't know what kind of cuts they are talking about but something does need to be done with property taxes. I live in a town of less than 2,000 and I pay $7,000 a year. We have a volunteer fire department and a part time police department. It's made it difficult to get new families to move here and has hurt our school enrollment. Probably more of a local / county tax issue than a state tax issue though.

You live in a town of less that 2000 and pay, WHAT? You either live in a palace and are wealthy enough to not be bitching about property taxes, are stupid for not challenge property evaluations, or are not being honest. What do people living in less regal residences pay?

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman

If you pay 7K a year in property taxes...you must live somewhere nice.

Yes, fire and ambulance are volunteer generally, but cops are not. If people are fine with the closest cop being 20 or 30 min away....fine....

Which means you either live in a 400k home just far enough away from a metro-ish area to find a small town or built a half mil mansion in Podunk, IA. Either way you're gonna pay for some infrastructure in your area.

Woe is you.

Which means you either live in a 400k home just far enough away from a metro-ish area to find a small town or built a half mil mansion in Podunk, IA. Either way you're gonna pay for some infrastructure in your area.

Woe is you.

You live in a town of less that 2000 and pay, WHAT? You either live in a palace and are wealthy enough to not be bitching about property taxes, are stupid for not challenge property evaluations, or are not being honest. What do people living in less regal residences pay?

I live in a nice house. Nothing crazy. Similar to any nice house you would find in most small towns in the area. I'm not lying, I'm not rich, I have challenged property evaluation twice. The explanation I have gotten is that our community supports the other communities in our county. It's one of the reasons were looking to move. It's really that outrageous.

If you pay 7K a year in property taxes...you must live somewhere nice.

Yes, fire and ambulance are volunteer generally, but cops are not. If people are fine with the closest cop being 20 or 30 min away....fine....

I get what you're saying, but that's what it's like in most small communities. Cops are never that far out. 15 minutes max but that's what it is. Like I said to another poster, I'm not lying and I don't live anywhere special. Taxation value on my home is around $330,000. There are probably 30 houses in town with similar taxation value.

Woe is you.

I'm about 25 miles from a metro area. It's a nice house. I can only afford it because I built it myself. Like I mentioned before, property taxes are a real issue here and have hurt our school district. At one point we had the 2nd highest taxation rate in the state. Not sure where it ranks now.

I live in a nice house. Nothing crazy. Similar to any nice house you would find in most small towns in the area. I'm not lying, I'm not rich, I have challenged property evaluation twice. The explanation I have gotten is that our community supports the other communities in our county. It's one of the reasons were looking to move. It's really that outrageous.

That is would be something I would think in the neighborhood of a 3500(+) sq ft home with multiple outbuildings on a 10(+) acre spread, away from a metro area. 7K would seem high for this.

I'm about 25 miles from a metro area. It's a nice house. I can only afford it because I built it myself. Like I mentioned before, property taxes are a real issue here and have hurt our school district. At one point we had the 2nd highest taxation rate in the state. Not sure where it ranks now.

Thats a weird way to put it. Your district depends on those taxes.

The property tax system in Iowa is convoluted for sure, but I challenge anyone who says we have a bunch of fat.

When I say small town, I mean 2,000-5,000 or so who have their own police. Sure in the real small villages you can get away with that.

I don't believe "towns" collect property taxes. They may impose use taxes, sales taxes, hotel taxes, but I believe most if not all property taxes are levied by the counties. This includes taxes on farmland and business outside of town limits. I'm sure the college community school district south of CR gets a lot from ADM property.

That is would be something I would think in the neighborhood of a 3500(+) sq ft home with multiple outbuildings on a 10(+) acre spread, away from a metro area. 7K would seem high for this.

Size is about right but I don't have any of the other stuff and live in town. If I moved out of town it would be about 2/3 rds of what I pay now.

I don't believe "towns" collect property taxes. They may impose use taxes, sales taxes, hotel taxes, but I believe most if not all property taxes are levied by the counties. This includes taxes on farmland and business outside of town limits. I'm sure the college community school district south of CR gets a lot from ADM property.

The County Treasurers collect property tax and distribute it to the various jurisdictions. Mainly schools, city, county. Sales taxes get distributed by the state.

Thats a weird way to put it. Your district depends on those taxes.

The property tax system in Iowa is convoluted for sure, but I challenge anyone who says we have a bunch of fat.

When I say small town, I mean 2,000-5,000 or so who have their own police. Sure in the real small villages you can get away with that.

If your district can't get people to move to it because they can't afford to live in it that is a bigger issue than the actual money that is collected and dispersed from the state for education.

Most of the towns in the state of Iowa have less than 2,500 people.

I think you're right which is why I mentioned above that it's probably more of a local / county issue than a state issue.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
If your district can't get people to move to it because they can't afford to live in it that is a bigger issue than the actual money that is collected and dispersed from the state for education.

Most of the towns in the state of Iowa have less than 2,500 people.

Well cut their revenues, and you won't have a district for long....just sayin....

Well cut their revenues, and you won't have a district for long....just sayin....

I get it, but it doesn't take away from the fact that there is an issue with property taxes. I don't think it would be good for the state to cut property taxes but I do think there needs to be more transparency and there are some issues that need to be resolved.

As the state cuts its taxes and mandate cities/ counties to fund these programs, what choice does the local government have?
A prime example might be Gov Reynolds E.O. Mandating a children’s mental health program statewide,but no funding mechanism was given. So, by statute, local districts have to find the money or this program. How else can the money be raised except for raising property values and taxing them accordingly?
Local police, fire, sewage issues have continuing expenses and costs....meanwhile state and federal funding for these programs continues to be under stress and unreliable.

Volunteer ambulance and fire services are going away. You can count on it. Too much time required for training and recertification, people working more and more hours. Particularly in towns of less the 5,000, you’re going to be paying for paid departments. Almost certainly regionalized to share staff.

You say that but look at Cedar Falls. I think it's dumb, but they are basically getting rid of their fire departments as they continue to expand the community. They're training Police officers and replacing their firefighters with them. They're basically volunteer firefighters.

I love how the Iowa Republican legislators failed to mention their responsibility in these rising property tax bills for residential property owners. They control the rollback factor which determines what percentage of your property's assessed value is taxed upon. Not to mention how they reclassified multi-unit rental properties as residential property so now their rollback factor is being "normalized" to reflect the same percentage as other people's actual residences. Rental properties are, by and large, business income properties and should be taxed accordingly @ a 90% of assessed value like other commercial property. They gave this cut to the slumlords of Iowa under pressure from the Iowa real estate lobby.

Agricultural land historically was taxed at between 86%-100% of its assessed value from 1978-2008. The Farm Bureau pressured the Iowa Legislature to lower it and now its very close to residential levels of ~57%.

The residential rollback has been creeping up steadily since 2007 when it was at its lowest level of ~44%. Over the last 11 years that has climbed to ~57%, the highest rollback level for residential property since 1996.
The Republicans in charge have been cutting sweetheart deals for the lobbies that fill their pockets. The blame falls upon them.

You say that but look at Cedar Falls. I think it's dumb, but they are basically getting rid of their fire departments as they continue to expand the community. They're training Police officers and replacing their firefighters with them. They're basically volunteer firefighters.

Fire falls below cops on the local government hierarchy of needs.

When you say transparency, what do you mean? Your taxes are a function of two things; 1) What jurisdictions levy and 2) your valuation. If a City is solid with its taxes, and has a total rate of say $15 per $1,000.

Then there is the rollback, a formula tied to agricultural production. Do you know that you only pay taxes on around half the value of your home?

2 years ago they already lopped 10% of the commercial tax base off.

As the state cuts its taxes and mandate cities/ counties to fund these programs, what choice does the local government have?
A prime example might be Gov Reynolds E.O. Mandating a children’s mental health program statewide,but no funding mechanism was given. So, by statute, local districts have to find the money or this program. How else can the money be raised except for raising property values and taxing them accordingly?
Local police, fire, sewage issues have continuing expenses and costs....meanwhile state and federal funding for these programs continues to be under stress and unreliable.

Agreed, which is why they need to quit mandating things without tying money to it. I won't win any of you over with this because most lefties support it but the state mandates that all school districts offer college classes for all students. No student can legally be denied the right to access to them. This costs districts hundreds of thousands of dollars with no additional funding. It's killing small districts.

Fire falls below cops on the local government hierarchy of needs.

When you say transparency, what do you mean? Your taxes are a function of two things; 1) What jurisdictions levy and 2) your valuation. If a City is solid with its taxes, and has a total rate of say $15 per $1,000.

Then there is the rollback, a formula tied to agricultural production. Do you know that you only pay taxes on around half the value of your home?

2 years ago they already lopped 10% of the commercial tax base off.

I'm not sure where you get the half value. You mean 50%of the assessed value? One time my assessed value was higher than my appraised value. It's a total joke.

I am an amateur photographer and spend most of my winter days driving, looking for photo opportunities. Small towns are interesting subjects, since they are disappearing, and I am trying to capture the loss of the downtown areas where possible. It gives me an opportunity to see how badly the streets in these towns have deteriorated through negligence and non-maintenance.

It gives you an idea of how government does or doesn't work, and why we have taxes.

I am an amateur photographer and spend most of my winter days driving, looking for photo opportunities. Small towns are interesting subjects, since they are disappearing, and I am trying to capture the loss of the downtown areas where possible. It gives me an opportunity to see how badly the streets in these towns have deteriorated through negligence and non-maintenance.

It gives you an idea of how government does or doesn't work, and why we have taxes.

I like to look at small towns too. Kind of sad how they've deteriorated so badly.

The school districts will have to get their portion of taxes raised or increase the income surtax most small districts already utilize.

Shell game.

They aren’t volunteers. I’ve worked at this issue for 25 years. Small departments, fire and EMS are dying. In many communities, there’s no one to respond during the day. In the end, it will be up to the people of Iowa. If they want decent fire, EMS, and law enforcement, they need to pay the taxes to support it.

I like to look at small towns too. Kind of sad how they've deteriorated so badly.

Not all have. If you are within the region of some of our bigger cities, some are doing pretty well or at least holding their own. Crap like this from the state won't help.

I love how the Iowa Republican legislators failed to mention their responsibility in these rising property tax bills for residential property owners. They control the rollback factor which determines what percentage of your property's assessed value is taxed upon. Not to mention how they reclassified multi-unit rental properties as residential property so now their rollback factor is being "normalized" to reflect the same percentage as other people's actual residences. Rental properties are, by and large, business income properties and should be taxed accordingly @ a 90% of assessed value like other commercial property. They gave this cut to the slumlords of Iowa under pressure from the Iowa real estate lobby.

Agricultural land historically was taxed at between 86%-100% of its assessed value from 1978-2008. The Farm Bureau pressured the Iowa Legislature to lower it and now its very close to residential levels of ~57%.

The residential rollback has been creeping up steadily since 2007 when it was at its lowest level of ~44%. Over the last 11 years that has climbed to ~57%, the highest rollback level for residential property since 1996.
The Republicans in charge have been cutting sweetheart deals for the lobbies that fill their pockets. The blame falls upon them.
Yeah, it's almost like the last tax cut was really beneficial to a certain class of folks who have the ear of Linda Upmayer.

Bingo! It is how Terry Branstad chose to do the business of government. There are many Repubbers in the Legislature who believe this is the role of government. Iowa has a lot of electioneering to do to straighten this mess out.

I heard Kim on IPR this morning, and I was struck by how unrestrained she feels going into term three of the Rs holding all branches of Iowa's government. She kept talking about education, and mental health for kids, and fairness in the tax code, but I guarantee you Iowa will see a few extremist Christian Sharia Law bills introduced into the state house.
Unfettered power by the Rs is a pendulum that has reached the end of it's backswing.

Reactions: Wendy79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT