ADVERTISEMENT

Companies Paid Top Executives More Than They Paid In US Taxes

What's your opinion on this?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Top bosses at some of America’s largest companies have received more in pay than their companies paid in federal taxes, according to a new report.

Senior executives at 35 different firms – from Tesla to T-Mobile US – received compensation worth more than the net tax payments of their respective employers between 2018 and 2022, the research found. All the companies generated billions of dollars in profit over the same period.

Analysis by Americans for Tax Fairness (ATF) and the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) found the collective net federal income tax bill of all 35 companies was negative $1.72bn over the five-year stretch – meaning they collectively received more money back from the government in refunds than they paid.

Over the same period, executive compensation for senior executives at these firms – including salaries, bonuses, perks, benefits, stock options and stock awards – stood at $9.49bn.
02-top-10-inArticle_620.png

Top bosses at some of America’s largest companies have received more in pay than their companies paid in federal taxes, according to a new report.

Senior executives at 35 different firms – from Tesla to T-Mobile US – received compensation worth more than the net tax payments of their respective employers between 2018 and 2022, the research found. All the companies generated billions of dollars in profit over the same period.

Analysis by Americans for Tax Fairness (ATF) and the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) found the collective net federal income tax bill of all 35 companies was negative $1.72bn over the five-year stretch – meaning they collectively received more money back from the government in refunds than they paid.

Over the same period, executive compensation for senior executives at these firms – including salaries, bonuses, perks, benefits, stock options and stock awards – stood at $9.49bn.

As it should be! Any of the morons on this board are free to build their own company and pay themselves $1 per year, but remember, that calls for a unique skill set.......

One problem I have with that analysis is if the Americans for Tax Fairness cherry-picked those companies. A better methodology would be to take the top 100 companies in the DJIA and analyze that data.

Why is this a surprise to anyone? Don't you do what you can in your personal finances to limit your tax liability? Wouldn't you expect corporations to do the same?
The jackasses whining about this have little or no tax liability, they just want to make sure their handouts are funded.....

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Meaningless headline. An idiot reads that and thinks immediately "something's wrong with this!"

Reactions: goldmom
I’m the “smells fishy” vote.
It sounds bad, but I can envision plenty of scenarios where top executives pay exceeds the tax bill.

Reactions: goldmom

So if I am a company and I make $100M in capital expenditures that grows my business (and therefore also add employees, and that spending goes towards the economy) and write that off but I pay $50M in federal tax I am the bad guy?

So if I am a company and I make $100M in capital expenditures that grows my business (and therefore also add employees, and that spending goes towards the economy) and write that off but I pay $50M in federal tax I am the bad guy?
For some people the only useful things a company does is fund politicians and bureaucrats.

False premise of course.

Every dime a corporate executive gets paid the government takes in sales tax for everything they buy, don’t they? Every time they invest that money and sell it for a gain, the government taxes that money too don’t they? Every time that exec wants to give that money to another person, the government taxes the transaction don’t they?

The government gets their pound of flesh coming and going no matter what. Don’t they?

Taxes are too high.

Spending is absurdly out of control.

Anyone who says or thinks otherwise is a poor jealous asshole.

False premise of course.

Every dime a corporate executive gets paid the government takes in sales tax for everything they buy, don’t they? Every time they invest that money and sell it for a gain, the government taxes that money too don’t they? Every time that exec wants to give that money to another person, the government taxes the transaction don’t they?

The government gets their pound of flesh coming and going no matter what. Don’t they?

Taxes are too high.

Wouldn't someone that consistently and emphatically pushes back on the idea of higher taxes on the ultra-wealthy be more accurately describes as jealous?

Wouldn't someone that consistently and emphatically pushes back on the idea of higher taxes on the ultra-wealthy be more accurately describes as jealous?

No. No they wouldn’t. The opposite of jealous actually. It would be called promoting liberty. Freedom from government oppression in the form of excessive taxation. You know, one of the primary reasons this country started?

Governments are horrible capital allocators and rife with corruption.

See {Federal Debt} + {Department of Defense}

/end thread

No. No they wouldn’t. The opposite of jealous actually. It would be called promoting liberty. Freedom from government oppression in the form of excessive taxation. You know, one of the primary reasons this country started?

Governments are horrible capital allocators and rife with corruption.

See {Federal Debt} + {Department of Defense}

/end thread

Dont Get It Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Not enough. There is no way for someone to become a billionaire that is ethical, moral and legal. They're either breaking the law or doing hinky s***. Take more of their money
“Ethical, moral, and legal”

2 of those are subjective so how do you determine if someone obtained their wealth egregiously?

In any event, there are plenty of people who have obtained their billions in a legal manner (think half the Walton family as an example). So your comment is full of appeal to pathos.

Large companies pay millions each year to beat the system. America, the land of opportunity. lol

False premise of course.

Taxes are too high.

This demonstrates how naive you are.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
This demonstrates how naive you are.

Come again? Why give this shit government filled with morons and losers any more money to blow?

Explain this to me. Why would anyone be FOR taking capital away from a guy like Musk and giving it to crony scum like our politicians? Who just trade on inside information to enrich themselves?

Last edited:
Maybe a big fat federal property tax on homes/properties over a certain value and on yachts and private planes.

No exceptions and you can’t count it as a business expense or a deduction.

Most of the ultra rich don’t have jobs so income tax is worthless and it should be an easy worded proposal/legislation. I find it odd something along these lines hasn’t been implemented.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu1jreed
Maybe a big fat federal property tax on homes/properties over a certain value

Good idea.

A couple of real estate tax options I'd like to see considered:

Limit deductible interest to 1 house only, and tie the deductible amount to median house prices.

Figuring the latter might be tricky, but we have a lot of smart people in the country, so I assume we can work it out. Or let ChatGTP do it.

Good idea.

A couple of real estate tax options I'd like to see considered:

Limit deductible interest to 1 house only, and tie the deductible amount to median house prices.

Figuring the latter might be tricky, but we have a lot of smart people in the country, so I assume we can work it out. Or let ChatGTP do it.
Dems wouldn’t go for it because the high taxes in.blue states are at a ceiling now and voters are not happy about it.
I think second homes are already limited as to property tax deductions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT