ADVERTISEMENT

Ah, the NIL deals...

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016
Jaden Rashada, a former ESPN 300 quarterback recruit, sued the University of Florida and coach Billy Napier on Tuesday. Rashada is claiming he was defrauded of millions of dollars in name, image and likeness money.

The lawsuit, among other things, alleges that Napier promised the player's father a $1 million "partial payment" upon signing. Rashada never got the money, and the boosters never fulfilled the deal, the lawsuit states.

It is the latest in a long saga involving the player and the school. Now, Rashada is the first known college athlete to sue his coach or a booster due to a dispute of an NIL deal.

Rashada and the 13million dollar deal

The article I read sounded like there was no contract, just verbal. Without a contract the kid is screwed. With a contract the kid would have obligations. Perhaps he didnt fulfill some verbal obligations on his side? Who knows? Not a good look for Florida though. How do these people think you can get 8 figures without signing something?

And so, the shit show begins. Pretty soon it’s going to evolve into strikes and lockouts. What happened to the idea of getting a degree and the money would follow?
When coaches are making millions, universities are selling jerseys that represent players, and injuries. I will never understand why people are ok with the workers not getting paid for the product.

What happened to the idea of getting a degree and the money would follow?
Any of the non-NFL kids stand to make more from NIL than with their 'sports studies' degrees. Not to mention the job market for college grads is likely worse than 2008/2009.

And so, the shit show begins. Pretty soon it’s going to evolve into strikes and lockouts. What happened to the idea of getting a degree and the money would follow?
Players need to get an agent/lawyer when promises are made. That’s all.

Schools want no part in paying women’s crew and football and anything different t loses in court

This is how Mertz becomes your starter for the year, but damn he had a solid season last year.

When coaches are making millions, universities are selling jerseys that represent players, and injuries. I will never understand why people are ok with the workers not getting paid for the product.
Why is a college education not getting paid anymore? Room, board, food, free health care while on scholarship, all sounds like getting paid to me

Why is a college education not getting paid anymore? Room, board, food, free health care while on scholarship, all sounds like getting paid to me
When the university has revenue of 86 million from the football program, with 37 million of that being net profit. None of the NIL money comes from the university either, so I don't understand why you people are so butt hurt over this.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk and GHawk
First of all, because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.....................that should've been obvious. Shame on you.

Secondly, high school coaches get paid too. So are we crying about amount here?

I'll tell the college athletes the same thing we tell the high school athletes.............boo. f***ing. hoo.

Hope that helps! :D

First of all, because f*** Wisconsin, that's why.....................that should've been obvious. Shame on you.

Secondly, high school coaches get paid too. So are we crying about amount here?

I'll tell the college athletes the same thing we tell the high school athletes.............boo. f***ing. hoo.

Hope that helps! :D
Hope this helps

When the university has revenue of 86 million from the football program, with 37 million of that being net profit. None of the NIL money comes from the university either, so I don't understand why you people are so butt hurt over this.
It’s because the players are not workers, they are students. If they don’t want to be students then they should not be in college. And the schools need to get a handle on the ridiculous coaching and administrative staff salaries. Some schools are paying multiple fired coaches millions to not coach.

The NIL decision gives the athletes the right to sell their name, image and likeness. Not to shake down the schools for it.

The powerful conferences are raiding and destroying other conferences to keep feeding the money grab that they themselves have created. The whole thing makes me want to puke. They’re on a fast track to destroying college sports.

It’s because the players are not workers, they are students. If they don’t want to be students then they should not be in college. And the schools need to get a handle on the ridiculous coaching and administrative staff salaries. Some schools are paying multiple fired coaches millions to not coach.

The NIL decision gives the athletes the right to sell their name, image and likeness. Not to shake down the schools for it.

The powerful conferences are raiding and destroying other conferences to keep feeding the money grab that they themselves have created. The whole thing makes me want to puke. They’re on a fast track to destroying college sports.
you should look at a student athletes schedule to tell me they aren't workers. I am all for this becoming a straight minor league system and moving away from the university. We are not forced to pay for NIL, so I will never understand why people act as though this is a big deal. Many of these athletes come from zero means, this is their one opportunity to exploit their talents.

• Sad
Reactions: GHawk

No school went from crap to awesome because of NIL. No school went from awesome to crap because of NIL.

The pecking order more or less stayed the same. People still buying tickets and tv ratings are high as are the broadcast rights.

Let’s not pretend before NIL the athletic department was donating excessive funds for general tuition relief. The facilities were already the best of the best, tutors, fancy locker rooms. Crazy coaching salaries.

Schools were making up crap they needed to spend it all on.

I see nothing hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: squeezebox
I think you’re missing the posters point. With this move to compensation/NIL the stakes have been raised and the complications that come with it have also been raised. This lawsuit is the beginning of these complications becoming legal battles for the Money. It’s not about whether the players deserve compensation, it’s about everything that comes with this compensation process.

Hope this helps
Well, 11 states know what they're doing, and I expect 6 more to make the correct decision as well. :D

Any high school kids in your area making NIL money?

squeezebox: "Well, actually-...."

Hey, hey.....hey.....
0437c0f7b459a3de06d535ff280481f05402f0cdece1a7f50244760fd45ac739_1.jpg

Hope that helps, as well! :D

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Well, 11 states know what they're doing, and I expect 6 more to make the correct decision as well. :D

Any high school kids in your area making NIL money?

squeezebox: "Well, actually-...."

Just looking to clarify, We only need to pay college athletes NIL money where it is permitted for those high school athletes? It might get expensive in Iowa, since it's permitted here.

I think you’re missing the posters point. With this move to compensation/NIL the stakes have been raised and the complications that come with it have also been raised. This lawsuit is the beginning of these complications becoming legal battles for the Money. It’s not about whether the players deserve compensation, it’s about everything that comes with this compensation process.
Follow the thread.

Just looking to clarify, We only need to pay college athletes NIL money where it is permitted for those high school athletes? It might get expensive in Iowa, since it's permitted here.[/spoiler]
Here's your clarification for college athletes everywhere, including France......

giphy.gif

An NIL cap would do a couple things.

One, a school can tell recruits, "All we have left in the bank is..." and avoid have multi-milion dollar deals that may or may not pan out.

Two, it would level the playing field at least a little. UNI basketball is an example of a small bank compared to others. That roster got absolutely decimated. Yeah, the OSUs, Bamas, and fill in the blank schools are still going to be great, but they would have to be choosier and a few of those guys would have to trickle into other programs.

Yes, people would still get around it with cash drops, etc., but if the NCAA had the balls to bust a school with a CFP 1-year ban, you better believe there would be a lot better NIL management.

I was all for athletes getting something, but this is ridiculous. When I feel for the coaches and not the athletes it's not fun anymore.

Last edited:
I highly doubt his NIL promise is enforceable as a basis for a lawsuit.

Best he can hope for is they settle based on what they consider a nuisance claim.

I would be shocked if he receives anything close to a 5 figure payout.

An NIL cap would do a couple things.

One, a school can tell recruits, "All we have left in the is..." and avoid have multi-milion dollar deals that may or may not pan out.

Two, it would level the playing field at least a little. UNI basketball is an example of a small bank compared to others. That roster got absolutely decimated. Yeah, the OSUs, Bamas, and fill in the blank schools are still going to be great, but they would have to be choosier and a few of those guys would have to trickle into other programs.

Yes, people would still get around it with cash drops, etc., but if the NCAA had the balls to bust a school with a CFP 1-year ban, you better believe there would be a lot better NIL management.

I was all for athletes getting something, but this is ridiculous. When I feel for the coaches and not the athletes it's not fun anymore.
Only nil cap that would help uni is $0. They bleed money. All the small conferences are chasing scraps, that’s the new reality. For every player a big school grabs in the portal there is another leaving and that’s what the small schools need to focus on.

The big conferences sure as heck are not going to start caring about the little guys. They already pressure the ncaa to keep their at large births at a minimum.

Nil cap lows in court and everybody knows it.

With that in mind, could an athlete be censored on tv until either the network or university agree to pay for their name/image/likeness in a broadcast? This is likely covered in some sort of ncaa bylaw but we all know how poorly run that organization is. (Example, I have to sign a waiver for school/daycare to use my children's image in any social media or promotional material)

They can go play in the G league or Arena football. That degree is more important over a lifetime than the 100k they get for playing 1 year and 99% will squander it away in a few years anyway.
this is the football board, and you should google arena football before saying this. Hell, teams are folding at record pace right now.

this is the football board, and you should google arena football before saying this. Hell, teams are folding at record pace right now.
Right if they want paid to play football so bad they can go make 20k a year or goto college and earn a degree until the NFL drafts them...

NIL will have far more negative impacts than positive... we are seeing that right now.

Right if they want paid to play football so bad they can go make 20k a year or goto college and earn a degree until the NFL drafts them...

NIL will have far more negative impacts than positive... we are seeing that right now.
What exactly is the negative impact?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT