ADVERTISEMENT

Ah, the NIL deals...

Essentially the reason college sports was authentic, pure and fun has gone away for most of us anyway...
Ticket sales and tv ratings suggest otherwise when it comes to football.

Basketball was sliding before nil because nothing matters until March.

Attorneys and Judges will sort all this out in due time. Like leaving the game in the hands of the refs.

Essentially the reason college sports was authentic, pure and fun has gone away for most of us anyway...
I am sorry if you believe that I have land to sell you. Do you not realize that now the "bag men" are merely able to come out of the shadows. This crap has been going on forever.

Reactions: pistachio1999
I am sorry if you believe that I have land to sell you. Do you not realize that now the "bag men" are merely able to come out of the shadows. This crap has been going on forever.
I certainly don't disagree with that sentiment. It felt good watching Iowa teams that you knew were pretty clean and followed the rules beat a team like O$U, guess those days are over. The whole unlimited money and players transferring 5 times in a 4 year period leave a real sour taste in my mouth. JMO...

When coaches are making millions, universities are selling jerseys that represent players, and injuries. I will never understand why people are ok with the workers not getting paid for the product.
They are getting paid.

How about when they get "hired" and don't have the revenue generation that they signed for, do they then have to pay back the funds? Or do they get paid the 13million regardless? This should all be a "commission" job for them. If they want a guarantee, then go the scholarship route and play the damn game.

Any of the non-NFL kids stand to make more from NIL than with their 'sports studies' degrees. Not to mention the job market for college grads is likely worse than 2008/2009.
Not "likely", it is worse. Most of the degrees are bullshite other than if you re going medical.

Reactions: hawkandroll
When the university has revenue of 86 million from the football program, with 37 million of that being net profit. None of the NIL money comes from the university either, so I don't understand why you people are so butt hurt over this.
When a CEO makes 25million and the entry level worker that develops new code generates money, they don't get paid the same as the CEO, they have to work to get to the top and earn as they go. 1st year non-starters getting 8 figures is asinine.

Give someone a fish they eat for a day, teach them to fish they eat for life.

you should look at a student athletes schedule to tell me they aren't workers. I am all for this becoming a straight minor league system and moving away from the university. We are not forced to pay for NIL, so I will never understand why people act as though this is a big deal. Many of these athletes come from zero means, this is their one opportunity to exploit their talents.
I don't recall any of the current or past players being held at gunpoint to play any athletics, IRCC it isa choice. I have seen their schedules, and I can tell you they are busy, but they also have a TON of assistance, something far beyond what the average student (hell even the band members) that is working 3 jobs and going to school FT doesn't get without paying for it.

Reactions: GHawk
Based on rankings prior to nil and post nil you wouldn’t notice anything.

Nothing has changed besides the rosters being in flux more and gets getting paid instead of bloated athletic departments, and with TV money they are raking it in more than ever anyway.

Ticket sales and tv ratings suggest otherwise when it comes to football.

Basketball was sliding before nil because nothing matters until March.
With the super conferences and a new playoff format, that may end up being D1 football in 2 years.

Almost every single fan at Kinnick drove right by a DIII school on the way to stadium.

If you are misty eyed for purity, there it is. Kids racking up student loans to play a sport for the love of the game.

Reactions: obfuscating
With the super conferences and a new playoff format, that may end up being D1 football in 2 years.
Doubt it. Tailgating /Gameday is a huge part of why people love football you can’t do that for basketball.

You take away the alcohol, tailgating, and people watching football wouldn’t draw 1/2 the number it does.

Last edited:
When coaches are making millions, universities are selling jerseys that represent players, and injuries. I will never understand why people are ok with the workers not getting paid for the product.
Your clouding the issue, (for most of us anyway). I have NO issue with a player being paid for their NIL, (like what Clark did). THAT is NIL. High school kids getting the "bag o cash" before they have ever played a game has absolutely ZERO to do with NIL, and needs to be stopped or this will never be sustainable, especially when a kid can just hit the portal, and get his next bag from the next school, (see Proctor).....

When the university has revenue of 86 million from the football program, with 37 million of that being net profit. None of the NIL money comes from the university either, so I don't understand why you people are so butt hurt over this.
Because what we are discussing in this thread is NOT NIL, and I'll give you credit for being smart enough to understand the difference......

you should look at a student athletes schedule to tell me they aren't workers. I am all for this becoming a straight minor league system and moving away from the university. We are not forced to pay for NIL, so I will never understand why people act as though this is a big deal. Many of these athletes come from zero means, this is their one opportunity to exploit their talents.
IF we were talking about NIL that would be one thing. Thats not whats going on in most cases. These kids are being given $$ for signing a LOI. Thats NOT NIL. What part of this do you not understand?

They are getting paid.

How about when they get "hired" and don't have the revenue generation that they signed for, do they then have to pay back the funds? Or do they get paid the 13million regardless? This should all be a "commission" job for them. If they want a guarantee, then go the scholarship route and play the damn game.
I am not the one making the deal, this is exactly what happened at A&M with their NIL deals, many weren't paid out. All it takes is one class that costs 20 million + for those boosters to not throw in those chunks of money.

If athletes were only being paid for jerseys, personal gear or endorsements, as was the original intention of NIL, great. Unfortunately, like many progressive changes that are rushed into practice without the proper planning, support and regulation, NIL has been completely bastardized. It’s been abused into something it was never supposed to be. And it’s as if people didn’t think it would happen….that we’ve never seen anything like this happen before. Epic failure.

IF we were talking about NIL that would be one thing. Thats not whats going on in most cases. These kids are being given $$ for signing a LOI. Thats NOT NIL. What part of this do you not understand?
Napier is going to get busted for what he did here, especially if there is any proof to the initial million.

What a stupid take. A lot of students work long hours to help pay for college. And they don't get all the help the athletes do. Plus they end up in debt.
You really don't get it do you. Of course we all know you are only on this board to argue, because you sure don't say anything intelligent.

If athletes were only being paid for jerseys, personal gear or endorsements, as was the original intention of NIL, great. Unfortunately, like many progressive changes that are rushed into practice without the proper planning, support and regulation, NIL has been completely bastardized. It’s been abused into something it was never supposed to be. It’s as if people didn’t think it would happen….that we’ve never seen anything like this happen before.
Everyone knew this was going to happen, and it will balance itself out at some point. I will say, a salary cap is not the solution, nor will it ever actually work.

I can see more student athletes suing claiming promises were made and not kept. Even without a written agreement. These suits could motivate schools to get off their azzes and start regulating NIL.

Reactions: cmhawks99
What a stupid take. A lot of students work long hours to help pay for college. And they don't get all the help the athletes do. Plus they end up in debt.
You really don't get it do you. Of course we all know you are only on this board to argue, because you sure don't say anything intelligent.
Straight to the ad hominem attacks, but I would expect nothing different. If you are playing football without a scholarship, I would strongly suggest you find something else to do, the wear and tear on your body alone. please point to me the athletes that have a professional future that are not given a full ride either through the university or NIL.

No one is butt hurt…unless you have a different definition of what butt hurt is. Most of us our glad they are getting paid extra, but we weren’t all naive enough to think they weren’t getting paid already.

What is world class training, coaching, nutrition, medical/health & wellness facilities, seeing the nation, the opportunities ONLY being a scholarship athlete provides per year worth….

And don’t say 50 grand, that might be what the education alone is worth.

It’s likely more like 500k and now they are getting paid on top of it.

Plus I don’t feel bad for people setting themselves up for failure.

Straight to the ad hominem attacks, but I would expect nothing different. If you are playing football without a scholarship, I would strongly suggest you find something else to do, the wear and tear on your body alone. please point to me the athletes that have a professional future that are not given a full ride either through the university or NIL.
What? I didn't say anything about playing without a scholarship. Do you even read a post before saying something stupid.

What? I didn't say anything about playing without a scholarship. Do you even read a post before saying something stupid.
You are discussing a normal student, that is not forced to go into debt, I am discussing NIL deals for students. You should probably learn to stay on topic here. If you want to discuss student debt, it seems like an off topic board topic.

You are discussing a normal student, that is not forced to go into debt, I am discussing NIL deals for students. You should probably learn to stay on topic here. If you want to discuss student debt, it seems like an off topic board topic.
LOL. No I didn't say anything about a normal student not being forced to go into debt. I compared an athlete with a nonathlete who is forced to work long hours when YOU brought up the workload of a FB player.
You really have a problem reading and understanding things don't you. You brought up the subject and I pointed out FB players are no different than many other students, but as others have pointed out they get benefits that the average student doesn't get.

You are correct, cheaters have been around a long time. It doesn't make it right, it's still being manipulated and in the end the college game will cease to exist in this environment, IMHO

With that in mind, could an athlete be censored on tv until either the network or university agree to pay for their name/image/likeness in a broadcast? This is likely covered in some sort of ncaa bylaw but we all know how poorly run that organization is. (Example, I have to sign a waiver for school/daycare to use my children's image in any social media or promotional material)
The school should not be selling the players name/image/likeness. That should be left to the players to sell themselves. When the schools have income of 80 million or more they don’t need to do that. Especially when they have coaches making 7 and 8 figure salaries. Or they are still paying millions to 1or more coaches who no longer coach there. Where the hell does the money grab end?

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
The school should not be selling the players name/image/likeness. That should be left to the players to sell themselves. When the schools have income of 80 million or more they don’t need to do that. Especially when they have coaches making 7 and 8 figure salaries. Or they are still paying millions to 1or more coaches who no longer coach there. Where the hell does the money grab end?
Depends man. Are they using the school logo / uni / name, etc?

There absolutely needs to be a cap, especially for freshman - $100k tops imo. They have done nothing - less than nothing - when they enter school. Their name, image, and likeness is worth squat until they do something of value.

And that means what? Does it help the Grambling State's, Alabama A&M's, Howard University's, and dozens of others? Nope.

NIL will only enhance the White Run Universities.

NIL in itself is inherently RACIST.
Doesn’t help DIII that much and it gets no whiter.

It wasn’t racists when rich white boosters gave money to rich white athletic departments but it is when black kids get paid. lol.

To fight this racism we need to artificially limit how much money the black kids get. lol.

Athletic departments are rolling in money. Players are getting paid.

Last edited:
Doesn’t help DIII that much and it gets no whiter.

It wasn’t racists when rich white boosters gave money to rich white athletic departments but it is when black kids get paid. lol.

To fight this racism we need to artificially limit how much money the black kids get. lol.

Athletic departments are rolling in money. Players are getting paid.
It's racist and you know it.

When a CEO makes 25million and the entry level worker that develops new code generates money, they don't get paid the same as the CEO, they have to work to get to the top and earn as they go. 1st year non-starters getting 8 figures is asinine.

Give someone a fish they eat for a day, teach them to fish they eat for life.

Yeah except the CEO isn't generating any money without that worker. It's basically wage theft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT