ADVERTISEMENT

Algona Police Shooting

Herkster5

HR MVP
Feb 21, 2013
anyone else following this tonight? Plenty of rumors , one or two cops shot, one dead, or one cop shot and life flighted. 3 hours into the search for the suspect.

anyone else following this tonight? Plenty of rumors , one or two cops shot, one dead, or one cop shot and life flighted. 3 hours into the search for the suspect.
Last I heard was a young cop shot dead and the suspect still at large. They are searching for the shooter in the DSM River. Swat and surrounding police forces assisting. This one is a little close to the vest for me.

Yes, awful. Have seen the suspect pics and they are at large.

I am 12 miles south of Algona. Both daughters go to school there. Know the cop involved and know of the suspect. Sad situation all around.
The suspect was an algona native? I was texting with some friends that live there and they didn't mention that.

The suspect was an algona native? I was texting with some friends that live there and they didn't mention that.
Yes. Lived in Algona in a house right behind the racetrack. He used to drive a hobby stock racecar. He has a pretty long record of alcohol related charges and speeding. Some domestic stuff in there too. Just a really unfortunate situation. Will leave a scar on the community no doubt.

• Wow
Reactions: Chishawk1425
Yes. Lived in Algona in a house right behind the racetrack. He used to drive a hobby stock racecar. He has a pretty long record of alcohol related charges and speeding. Some domestic stuff in there too. Just a really unfortunate situation. Will leave a scar on the community no doubt.
How many victims?

Was taking to my friend who owns a restaurant there and he said SWAT and military vehicles drove by shortly after the shooting. Makes sense that Bishop locked down. I heard the cop that was shot was young. Did he have a family? Just an awful situation all around.

I am 12 miles south of Algona. Both daughters go to school there. Know the cop involved and know of the suspect. Sad situation all around.

Still in St. Joe area?

Great area - I spent summers up there as a kid. Terrible situation for Algona. Everyone in town will know the officers involved and the family of the shooter.

Reactions: fan_4_life
The story I have been told was that the suspect was being served papers for a restraining order and opened fire on the officer. 7 shots were fired. Have a cousin who lives near the area and he confirmed that he heard 7 shots also. Suspect dumped his phone near the river and fled. Was apprehended in Brown County Minnesota just before midnight. Condition of officer has not been publicly released but it sounds as if he did not survive.

So shocked to see this upon waking up today. My wife is from Algona and her family still live and work there. That town has had more than its share of shooting deaths.

Reactions: mjtommy
Damn, this neck of the woods is getting more than a little concerning. We had 2 escapes from the the county jail here in 2 weeks. One caught 2 blocks from my house and the other caught in the driveway across the street. Now this just 20 minutes north of here.

A late-night search in northern Iowa for a man accused of shooting a police officer ended around midnight with the suspect being captured about two hours north in rural Minnesota.

Residents in Algona were asked to lock all doors and vehicles and stay inside Wednesday night during the search that include law enforcement from Iowa and Minnesota. The search was connected to a shots fired call involving an officer, according to Mitch Mortvedt, assistant director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

A post on Facebook from the DCI said 43-year-old Kyle Ricke allegedly shot a police officer around 8 p.m. Wednesday in the 1100 block of South Minnesota Street in Algona.

It was not clear the extent of the officer's injuries, though several law enforcement agencies across Iowa have posted on social media that he died. The Des Moines Register has not been able to independently confirm that.

The incident occurred a few blocks north of the Kossuth County Fairgrounds.

Officials discovered that Ricke fled north into Minnesota. He was found around midnight in Leavenworth Township, rural Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, according to a news release from the Brown County Sheriff's office. Deputies with the office took him into custody without incident and he is currently in the Brown County Jail. The area is about two hours north of Algona and to the west of Mankato.

Ricke appeared in Kossuth County court Wednesday for a charge of third-degree harassment.

According to court documents, an officer on Aug. 23 found 63 unread messages and several missed phone calls over two hours from Ricke to the victim. This happened after the victim told Ricke she no longer wanted contact with him, court documents say.

Four days later, the victim returned to police with more messages from Ricke. He allegedly admitted to contacting her after police warned him not to. Ricke was arrested and charged Aug. 28 and a no contact order was filed the following day.

The trial in that case is scheduled for Nov. 3.

Go start a different thread with this shit. You are such a piece of shit human.
Cry about it, Derek.

Your support for zero gun regulation is a massive part of the problem of gun violence in this country.

You wanna support that shit, be prepared to defend it. If you can.

Cry about it, Derek.

Your support for zero gun regulation is a massive part of the problem of gun violence in this country.

You wanna support that shit, be prepared to defend it. If you can.
Fuxk you, there are people in this thread that not only worked with, but also are very good friends with the individual murdered. That bullshit can go elsewhere. It isn't needed in here.

Fuxk you, there are people in this thread that not only worked with, but also are very good friends with the individual murdered. That bullshit can go elsewhere. It isn't needed in here.
Oh, does it make you uncomfortable that Iowa's lax approach to firearms regulation plays a role in cops being shot and killed?

SO SORRY. :rolleyes:

This is an absolutely relevant place to talk about actions having consequences. Deal with it.

I would say how the heck did this guy have a gun, but then I realize this is America…more specifically Iowa, where we essentially believe the more red flags the better when it comes to gun ownership. Maybe someday we will have laws in place to prevent these people from legally obtaining firearms.

That said, what a piece of scum, these are the people who I support capital punishment for.

Feel awful for the officers family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT