ADVERTISEMENT

All time worst calls?

Along with the phantom foul on Mark Gannon 40 feet from the basket in the triple OT "loss" to Minnesota at the Field House back in the day.

Not to mention Art White, in the late 70s I think, ruling a TD by Purdue on the final play of the game to give PU the win in West Lafayette despite the RB getting stuffed in the backfield.

Oh, there are so many horrible, terrible, really crazy calls that have gone against the Hawkeyes at least all the way back to 1953 and the Fainting Irish . . . (Look it up.)

Last edited:
2005 Iowa/Michigan
Bunch of garbage tier calls that broke Iowa's home game win streak. Yeah, amazingly there was a time where Iowa was unbeatable at home.
images

Along with the phantom foul on Mark Gannon 40 feet from the basket in the triple OT "loss" to Minnesota at the Field House back in the day.

Not to mention Art White, around 1980 or so, ruling a TD by Purdue on the final play of the game to give PU the win in West Lafayette despite the RB getting stuffed in the backfield.

Oh, there are so many horrible, terrible, really crazy calls that have gone against the Hawkeyes at least all the way back to 1953 and the Fainting Irish . . . (Look it up.)
Ugh. I was at that Minnesota game as a student. The next day there were photos of the “foul”. Never touched him.

• Love
Reactions: Beattheohiostate

Not to mention Art White, around 1980 or so, ruling a TD by Purdue on the final play of the game to give PU the win in West Lafayette despite the RB getting stuffed in the backfield.

2017 Iowa-Minnesota basketball game. Jump ball called and Gopher player was out of bounds.

I don’t think the first call in that video is bad. As I understand the rule (and they keep changing on me), if a receiver is in the air when catching a ball, he can be pushed (hell, even carried) such that he lands out of bounds, and it is no catch.

If true, the only argument might be that a tiny part of Hinkle landed first, and in bounds. Is that the claim?

I don’t think the first call in that video is bad. As I understand the rule (and they keep changing on me), if a receiver is in the air when catching a ball, he can be pushed (hell, even carried) such that he lands out of bounds, and it is no catch.

If true, the only argument might be that a tiny part of Hinkle landed first, and in bounds. Is that the claim?
IIRC, the rule in the 2005 season was it was a catch if the receiver was forced out, hence Chris Spielman’s reaction to the call.

I think there were multiple uncalled 12 men on the field violations by the Gators that day. Were the stripes called out over their performance that day?

And then there’s “Witvoet”, what a pitiful excuse for a Div. l stripe.
For some reason I’m recalling that they even had 13 in the field on defense for a play. Maybe I’m wrong on that. But they played a 12 man defense several times during the game. They also clearly violated offsides on kickoffs throughout the game, but Greenway’s perfect timing was the only one called.

I think there were multiple uncalled 12 men on the field violations by the Gators that day. Were the stripes called out over their performance that day?

I think the refs were reprimanded after. I recall chat from some Hawkeye fans that saw the officials the next morning in the hotel lobby. They were laughing and chatting with Gator fans like it was old home week.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
That phantom interference call in the Iowa/Illinois baseball game ranks right up there with the fair catch fiasco in the Iowa/Minnesota football game and both were reviewed and upheld. Me thinks somebody has some
"splain" to do in the Big Ten office!
Worst call ever was 1972 Summer Olympic Gold Medal game for Basketball. US vs USSR.

Game ended and US won so Refs added 5 seconds and replayed the ending and the US won, so Refs added another 5 seconds and the USSR won and the Refs said that was it.

US never picked up their Silver Medals.

Worst call ever was 1972 Summer Olympic Gold Medal game for Basketball. US vs USSR.

Game ended and US won so Refs added 5 seconds and replayed the ending and the US won, so Refs added another 5 seconds and the USSR won and the Refs said that was it.

Roy Jones, Jr, Seoul, South Korea, 1988 Summer Games - gold medal match against a South Korean

About as bad as it will ever get

https://youtu.be/QZY_0eXCROM?si=mh7yf6fEus_mBkfi

Any MLB game Angel Hernandez steps on the field in an umpires uni has the potential of making this list.

Is it the same asshat that confirmed the fair catch call in the Minnesota game? Inept BIG rules officials. Unfortunately it is the one constant in the conference.

Last edited:
Any MLB game Angel Hernandez steps on the field in an umpires uni has the potential of making this list.

Is it the same asshat that confirmed the fair catch call in the Minnesota game? Inept BIG rules officials. Unfortunately it is the one constant in the conference.
Ken Koester. First name that came to mind.

Reactions: shanksit44
If ever a game was fixed by the officials, this was it. The call against Solomon really takes the cake.
As many bad calls as there have been over the years, you'd be hard pressed to find one as egregiously bad as a guy getting called for a facemask penalty after.......getting dragged to the ground by his own facemask.

But some of the recent ones sting more because we now have replay that is supposed to keep bad calls (sometimes game/championship-deciding ones) from happening. And yet in many ways it certainly seems to be making things worse.

US never picked up their Silver

Yep the all time screw job ever done in sport’s history. blatant cheating from officials on and from off the court
Totally agree with USA players refusing their silver medals .

Yep the all time screw job ever done in sport’s history. blatant cheating from officials on and from off the court
Totally agree with USA players refusing their silver medals .
Bad as that was, it doesn't compare to the massacre of Israeli athletes and coaches that took place at the same Olympics. IOC President Avery Brundage took humanity to an all-time low with his "speech" at the "memorial service".

That the international community sat by and watched was mind-boggling.

If ever a game was fixed by the officials, this was it. The call against Solomon really takes the cake.

I loved Chris Speilman after this game, he called it absolutely straight. As I recall Iowa fans ran into the refs at the hotel after the game, politely disagreed with their calls
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a game where announcers on multiple occasions call out bad calls as in that game.

I don’t have many games where I will argue the officiating had a direct impact on the outcome of a game, but that was one. Last weeks baseball game was another.

That phantom interference call in the Iowa/Illinois baseball game ranks right up there with the fair catch fiasco in the Iowa/Minnesota football game and both were reviewed and upheld. Me thinks somebody has some
"splain" to do in the Big Ten office!
Hopefully what goes around, comes around.

Hopefully what goes around, comes around.
Imo the fair catch is worse, because that wasn’t the call on the field…they made that determination based on an overhead view during replay. Had that been the call on the field, I’d hate it but I could at least semi-see it based on how Coopers arms were moving as he ran to catch the ball. But NO ONE on the field thought that’s what he was doing, everyone thought the review was to see if he’d stepped out.

This play, if BTN at least showed the camera view that in their opinion confirmed runner interference, that would at least be something, because I’ve not seen anyone be able to point to what the umpire could have seen.

I think the refs were reprimanded after. I recall chat from some Hawkeye fans that saw the officials the next morning in the hotel lobby. They were laughing and chatting with Gator fans like it was old home week.
It was a Conference USA referee squad that stole that game from Iowa. Ever since I have cheered against any time from that pathetic sheethole of a conference. I hold grudges in sports.

Imo the fair catch is worse, because that wasn’t the call on the field…they made that determination based on an overhead view during replay. Had that been the call on the field, I’d hate it but I could at least semi-see it based on how Coopers arms were moving as he ran to catch the ball. But NO ONE on the field thought that’s what he was doing, everyone thought the review was to see if he’d stepped out.

This play, if BTN at least showed the camera view that in their opinion confirmed runner interference, that would at least be something, because I’ve not seen anyone be able to point to what the umpire could have seen.
I still can't believe that was something that could be changed upon review. Talk about f***ing with the game.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT