ADVERTISEMENT

Am I missing something in this story?

TJ8869

HR King
Dec 7, 2006
Four flight attendants for American Airlines were arrested at Miami International Airport while attempting to clear customs after arriving from Chile. They were charged with money laundering after each was found to be carrying several thousand dollars in cash.

Here’s the part I don’t quite follow - my understanding is that you’re allowed to bring up to $10,000 into the country without having to declare it. None of these people had more than $10K in their possession, so where is the problem?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/us/flight-attendants-money-laundering-charges-miami/index.html

The police report has redacted what the flight attendants admitted to when they were interviewed by a Homeland Security Agent.

The police report has redacted what the flight attendants admitted to when they were interviewed by a Homeland Security Agent.
I noticed that but it still seems odd. The amount of money they were carrying was well within the allowable amount without even having to report it.

I noticed that but it still seems odd. The amount of money they were carrying was well within the allowable amount without even having to report it.
It appears it was the first guy changing his story that alerted them to something fishy. As an HROTer, I'm generally carrying far more than $10K/cash when I travel abroad so I have no idea how it works for the poors.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
It appears it was the first guy changing his story that alerted them to something fishy. As an HROTer, I'm generally carrying far more than $10K/cash when I travel abroad so I have no idea how it works for the poors.
Yeah, he appears to have been the first domino to fall. But I still don’t understand this part:

”The four defendants were charged with money laundering by evading reporting requirements and being unauthorized money transmitters.”

I also don’t understand the part where it said none of them had a license to transport the cash. You don’t need a license to transport the cash and there are no reporting requirements for the amount they were carrying, so how could they have evaded reporting requirements?

It’s entirely possible they were engaging in illegal activity, but the charges outlined in the article make no sense.

Reactions: artradley
Maybe they considered them a group and the total was over $10k. Maybe the first guy admitted they were moving all the cash for one guy, which would probably make it subject to disclosure.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Maybe they considered them a group and the total was over $10k. Maybe the first guy admitted they were moving all the cash for one guy, which would probably make it subject to disclosure.
That's what I'm figuring. If they can't account for how they came into possession of all that money, they would be subject to other legalities so I'm guessing they made some kind of deal to avoid other consequences.

That's what I'm figuring. If they can't account for how they came into possession of all that money, they would be subject to other legalities so I'm guessing they made some kind of deal to avoid other consequences.
Possibly. But my point is that up to $10K you don’t have to explain or account for anything. Maybe the guy simply didn’t understand his own rights.

That was my thought as well. Could it be that they were tipped off also?

Possibly. But my point is that up to $10K you don’t have to explain or account for anything. Maybe the guy simply didn’t understand his own rights.

Four people, all flight attendants, with that much cash between them is suspicious as hell, especially after the first guy lied. I have traveled internationally quite a few times and never take more than a few hundred bucks with me on the way out. I normally hit a local ATM and deal in local currency. I'd be scared as hell carrying that kind of cash. To be bringing that much back in begs a lot of questions.

I have my staff carry the money. Not going to strain myself.

That makes sense. Somebody who wanted to move ill-gotten gains into Yanqui land arranged to give each of them $9,500 to carry across for him. (Or her; not making sexist inferences here.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT