ADVERTISEMENT

This story is nuts!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002

Boeing Asks 737 MAX Operators to Check for Missing Nuts

After a nut was found missing from a bolt on a Boeing 737 MAX operated by an international airline, the aerospace giant is asking all operators to check the issue affecting their fleet.

Another unintentional issue on the Boeing 737 MAX could temporarily force more airframes out of service.

CNN reports Boeing is asking all 737 MAX operators to check for potentially loose bolts in the rudder system after discovering issues on current aircraft.

One Gone on International Airline Frame, Another Loose Pre-Delivery

The bulletin comes after two reported incidents without any injuries or fatalities. The first was aboard an “unnamed international airline,” where they found a bolt not attached by a nut to a rudder-control linkage mechanism during routine service. The second issue was found in a pre-delivery airframe, where the nut had loosened from the bolt but did not come off completely.

Although the two issues were fixed, Boeing is asking every airline with 737 MAX aircraft in their fleet to check for the loose or missing nut issue. The Chicago-based company alerted the Federal Aviation Administration to the issue on Thursday, December 28, 2023.

According to the FAA, the fix could take up to two hours, and airlines are expected to report their inspection progress to the agency as they complete the inspection. While airlines are expected to check the nuts and bolts on aircraft currently in service, Boeing will check all aircraft leaving the factory before delivery.

The loose bolt issue is the latest engineering problem to plague the 737 MAX since its introduction to service. The next-generation airframe was grounded in 2019 after two fatal accidents were attributed to the MCAS system. It took over a year for the FAA to once again re-certify the 737 MAX for airworthiness, but not without numerous concerns coming to light.

The 737 MAX issue is unrelated to Alaska Airlines’ unexpected grounding of other 737-line aircraft the week after Christmas 2023.

Boeing Asks 737 MAX Operators to Check for Missing Nuts

After a nut was found missing from a bolt on a Boeing 737 MAX operated by an international airline, the aerospace giant is asking all operators to check the issue affecting their fleet.

Another unintentional issue on the Boeing 737 MAX could temporarily force more airframes out of service.

CNN reports Boeing is asking all 737 MAX operators to check for potentially loose bolts in the rudder system after discovering issues on current aircraft.

One Gone on International Airline Frame, Another Loose Pre-Delivery

The bulletin comes after two reported incidents without any injuries or fatalities. The first was aboard an “unnamed international airline,” where they found a bolt not attached by a nut to a rudder-control linkage mechanism during routine service. The second issue was found in a pre-delivery airframe, where the nut had loosened from the bolt but did not come off completely.

Although the two issues were fixed, Boeing is asking every airline with 737 MAX aircraft in their fleet to check for the loose or missing nut issue. The Chicago-based company alerted the Federal Aviation Administration to the issue on Thursday, December 28, 2023.

According to the FAA, the fix could take up to two hours, and airlines are expected to report their inspection progress to the agency as they complete the inspection. While airlines are expected to check the nuts and bolts on aircraft currently in service, Boeing will check all aircraft leaving the factory before delivery.

The loose bolt issue is the latest engineering problem to plague the 737 MAX since its introduction to service. The next-generation airframe was grounded in 2019 after two fatal accidents were attributed to the MCAS system. It took over a year for the FAA to once again re-certify the 737 MAX for airworthiness, but not without numerous concerns coming to light.

The 737 MAX issue is unrelated to Alaska Airlines’ unexpected grounding of other 737-line aircraft the week after Christmas 2023.

It’s actually pretty common to do one time inspections across the fleet on deficiencies discovered.

Did them pretty often in the Air Force.

They’re called Time Compliance Technical Orders in the AF. Also used to do modifications.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
images

If you think the typical disgruntled, spoiled, entitled union jackass gives a crap about the quality of his work, then I don't know what to tell you.
If this were true, and there were no safeguards in place you would think Boeing jets would be falling from the skies on a daily basis. Also, the fuselages are apparently built in Wichita, KS. I don't think that is a hotbed of union activism, but, you seem totally up on this story, so I'll leave it up to you.

Meh, I've watched them all. Notice how old the crashes are that many of those episodes detail. I love flying!

Yep.

US hasn’t had a fatal major carrier crash in 15 years (and that was pilot error not mechanical defect) but Trad is out there thinking Boeing assembly line workers don’t give a shit about safety.

JFC

Reactions: NoleATL
I had the general sense that the problems with the MAX could be made up for with pilot training, and I figured that we probably did that better here than in other countries - so I never thought about not getting on one of the MAX planes. If I have two options now between a MAX and another flight, I'm probably taking the other flight since we've moved beyond something that can be made up by better pilot training

That's what you get with union workers....
Boeing has always been unionized, the change in corporate culture when they merged with McDonnell Douglas is what I've read has been the main problem per Boeing's quality control problems over the last several decades.

Watching this happen to one of my former F500 employers (one division).

They were tech leaders in their field, and known for innovation, so they merged that division w/ an East Coast entity to "capture the magic" back East. Instead, they turned it into exactly what this story shows.

Most all of the tech talent has left that company now; they are >10 yrs behind in launching a major product that was supposed to launch back in 2013/14. I know very few former co-workers still there; the ones that are there are just biding their time to retire.

Mirror image of what happened to Boeing. They went all-in on "shareholder value" and forgot about customer needs and innovation. That works in the near term, when you still have the tech talent internally; but eventually the company is taken over by yes-men and bean counters and then the downward slide starts. My understanding now is that the parent company there is now trying to "offload" that division, because it hasn't delivered any real innovation/new core products in the past decade.

Reactions: NoleATL
It’s actually pretty common to do one time inspections across the fleet on deficiencies discovered.

Did them pretty often in the Air Force.

They’re called Time Compliance Technical Orders in the AF. Also used to do modifications.
More DEI examples? lol Boeing been hiring the box checkees from engineer all the way down to the production floor?! 🤣

It's being reported that the cockpit voice recorder looped over parts of the incident. I guess if the plane doesn't crash, thereby stopping the recorder, or it isn't manually stopped it keeps going along recording over itself every 2 hours.

It's being reported that the cockpit voice recorder looped over parts of the incident. I guess if the plane doesn't crash, thereby stopping the recorder, or it isn't manually stopped it keeps going along recording over itself every 2 hours.
We can’t be recording 4 or 5 hours of audio. That would take up several megabytes of valuable storage space.

We can’t be recording 4 or 5 hours of audio. That would take up several megabytes of valuable storage space.
Seems weird. I wonder why an arbitrary number like 2 hours was picked? It isn't like the 1960s and it's an actual tape.

Reactions: TJ8869
Seems weird. I wonder why an arbitrary number like 2 hours was picked? It isn't like the 1960s and it's an actual tape.
Even with a 2 hour capacity it doesn’t make sense that it had somehow already recorded over what was said during the incident. The entire flight lasted 38 minutes.

Yep.

US hasn’t had a fatal major carrier crash in 15 years (and that was pilot error not mechanical defect) but Trad is out there thinking Boeing assembly line workers don’t give a shit about safety.

JFC
Trad just hates unions because they force him and his HR dept to pay decent wages to some of their nursing home employees.

Trad just hates unions because they force him and his HR dept to pay decent wages to some of their nursing home employees.

Trad in HR is like giving the Zippo to the pyromaniac.

Isn’t the goal of HR to retain and reward good employees — rather than constantly shitting on them 24/7?

Trad in HR is like giving the Zippo to the pyromaniac.

Isn’t the goal of HR to retain and reward good employees — rather than constantly shitting on them 24/7?

A properly run HR unit should have a focus of attracting and retaining key talent/good workers.

Instead, most are focused on doing whatever management tells them to do, which turns into lowering costs and protecting poor managers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT