ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one pumped about Iowa State being

It's mostly due to people confusing who said what in a long thread and wanting certain things to be true, on both sides. I don't think anyone, including those leading the SEC and B10, know exactly what will happen 3-5 years from now. They have some firm ideas, I think.

What leaders of Big 10 and SEC have hinted they want
  • College football (at least at the highest levels) to be governed by some new body, not the NCAA. Gene Smith, the AD at OSU, has said as much. Compliance today with the NCAA is a joke, with some silly rules that no one enforces. I don't know that whatever new organization is created will be any better, but it's headed that way for football.
  • Expanded playoffs. It looked like we were headed this way last year, until the SEC brought in Oklahoma and Texas. The Alliance was formed to basically block any new negotiation of the FB playoff deal with ESPN. Turns out B10 was just buying time until it was in a better position to be more on the level of the SEC.
  • Maximizing media rights. There is a reason the B10 hasn't yet signed its media rights. Things got more lucrative by adding UCLA and USC.
What follows is now strictly my opinion. I do think the SEC and B10 both want to go to 20+ teams, which would give them the most say in the new playoff system and whatever governance structure is created for college FB. Other conferences still likely exist, but aren't treated as equals in either the playoff structure or the revenue. SEC and B10 will advocate for a larger playoff (16 or 24 teams would be great), but will want no automatic bids to anyone, including their own leagues. They don't want a 9-3 team from whatever is left of the Pac-12 getting in over a 8-4 or 9-3 team from the B10 or SEC.

Notre Dame will attempt to remain an independent. If up solely to the B10 or SEC, they would leverage ND to join a league. But ND is a huge draw, perhaps the biggest, to the media rights holders. "Just agree to not play ND if you are in the B10 or SEC," some say. I doubt USC would have agreed to join the B10 only to not play the Domers.

What does it mean for Iowa-ISU? I have no idea. If B10 is at 20+ teams and they go to 10 conference games in a 12-game season, then the series could be in doubt. Kim Reynolds has made rumblings that the game has to be played, and if Iowa moved to not renew after 2025 I'm sure Whitver or other legislators may try to do something. Would legislation succeed? Is it constitutional for a state legislature to dictate that two regent schools HAVE to play? I have no idea. I like the series, it's good for the state.

The Gazette indicated a few years ago that the B1G could suspend Iowa for lack of institutional control if this game was ever mandated by legislation. I have no idea if that’s true, but I could understand it.

I could also see Iowa’s government biting off their nose to spite it’s face and legislating this game even if that means suspension from the B1G.

From 2014

The Gazette indicated a few years ago that the B1G could suspend Iowa for lack of institutional control if this game was ever mandated by legislation. I have no idea if that’s true, but I could understand it.

I could also see Iowa’s government biting off their nose to spite it’s face and legislating this game even if that means suspension from the B1G.

From 2014
ia10-don't give counsel to your fears.

That article talked about the possibility of a suspension-in 1971. It doesn't even say the Big Ten was considering that option. As long as the Big Ten permits non-conference games Iowa will play Iowa St. They may not permit non con games then nothing would happen because Iowa wouldn't have the option of playing Iowa St.

Plus, a lot of water under the bridge since then. A lot more money involved.

But the real reason the Big Ten will never suspend a program is fear of picking a scab they need a century to heal. Pedo St. The Sandusky homosexual child rape scandal and long term cover up was horrific but institutionally only the worst Pedo St scandal. They have several other institutional and academic scandals. The Michael Mann hockey stick trick is still in litigation. The hazing death and botched cover up at their Beta house. One would think the Pedos would have become better at covering their shit trails or maybe they're great at cover ups and what we know is just the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

I'm guessing the later. Iowa would sue under equal protection (most member entities are public hence subject to 14th Amendment) and a judge in the Iowa Southern District would enjoin the suspension 15 minutes after filing. The Big Ten does not want anyone digging for "disparate treatment" because no one else is even close to as filthy as the Pedos.

Pedo St. is still the king of vileness and corruption even with USC joining the Big Ten.​

ia10-don't give counsel to your fears.

That article talked about the possibility of a suspension-in 1971. It doesn't even say the Big Ten was considering that option. As long as the Big Ten permits non-conference games Iowa will play Iowa St. They may not permit non con games then nothing would happen because Iowa wouldn't have the option of playing Iowa St.

Plus, a lot of water under the bridge since then. A lot more money involved.

But the real reason the Big Ten will never suspend a program is fear of picking a scab they need a century to heal. Pedo St. The Sandusky homosexual child rape scandal and long term cover up was horrific but institutionally only the worst Pedo St scandal. They have several other institutional and academic scandals. The Michael Mann hockey stick trick is still in litigation. The hazing death and botched cover up at their Beta house. One would think the Pedos would have become better at covering their shit trails or maybe they're great at cover ups and what we know is just the proverbial tip of the iceberg.

I'm guessing the later. Iowa would sue under equal protection (most member entities are public hence subject to 14th Amendment) and a judge in the Iowa Southern District would enjoin the suspension 15 minutes after filing. The Big Ten does not want anyone digging for "disparate treatment" because no one else is even close to as filthy as the Pedos.

Pedo St. is still the king of vileness and corruption even with USC joining the Big Ten.​

I think it’s a far stretch to say the least and even more so with the examples you provided that the B1G not really having a firm hand.

I’ll agree to disagree on Iowa always playing ISU as long as they have non conference games. If Iowa only gets one or two non Conf games, I’d find it really hard to see locking one of those up going to Ames every other year. I could see Iowa agreeing to ISU every four years or so, and only in Iowa City (which I’m sure ISU would decline). If they remain at three non conference games, I think the ISU series has a lot better chance at survival, although not many teams will be lining up to play that caliber of opponent (esp on the road). All of that is also contingent on where ISU and the Big XII wind up.

Are there any other instate schools mandated to play each other based off legislation? I honestly don’t know, but I can’t think of anyone of significance.

I think it’s a far stretch to say the least and even more so with the examples you provided that the B1G not really having a firm hand.

I’ll agree to disagree on Iowa always playing ISU as long as they have non conference games. If Iowa only gets one or two non Conf games, I’d find it really hard to see locking one of those up going to Ames every other year. I could see Iowa agreeing to ISU every four years or so, and only in Iowa City (which I’m sure ISU would decline). If they remain at three non conference games, I think the ISU series has a lot better chance at survival, although not many teams will be lining up to play that caliber of opponent (esp on the road). All of that is also contingent on where ISU and the Big XII wind up.

Are there any other instate schools mandated to play each other based off legislation? I honestly don’t know, but I can’t think of anyone of significance.
Not having a firm hand. Didn't even death penalty after Sandusky alone establishes the outer limit the B1G will impose.

I don't know about other states. I think every state with two P5 schools play their instate rival. Wash/WSU, Oregon v. Beavers, Cal against UCLA and probably USC every season, AZ and ASU, Bammy/Auburn, UGA/Tech, Fla/FSU and so on.

The Clowns aren't the most important game but ISU is Iowa's #1 rival.

Not having a firm hand. Didn't even death penalty after Sandusky alone establishes the outer limit the B1G will impose.

I don't know about other states. I think every state with two P5 schools play their instate rival. Wash/WSU, Oregon v. Beavers, Cal against UCLA and probably USC every season, AZ and ASU, Bammy/Auburn, UGA/Tech, Fla/FSU and so on.

Most that you listed are in the same conference and even same division within that conference. Fla/FSU and Ga Tech/UGA of course play every year, as does So Car and Clemson. Several others do not. ND plays Purdue once in a while but never IU (played once since 1958). Pitt and PSU play each other, but not every year. Texas is a little different with a lot of choices. They play their instate Conf foes, of course, but they haven’t seen A&M since they left. A&M has only played SMU, Rice, and N Texas since their departure to the SEC 10 years ago. I highly doubt OSU is in a hurry to play a home and home with Cincy once they get to the Big XII. OSU is known to play a lot of lesser instate rivals, but never outside of The Shoe.

It will be interesting to see where the B1G is and where ISU is when the contract renewal comes around. I really don’t care if Iowa agrees to play Iowa State as long as it’s their choice and feel what’s best for their program. I can’t get behind government getting involved in it. I doubt I ever will. I’ll go to my grave believing that the CyHawk game benefits one school a lot more than the other and it’s not the Hawkeyes.

Last edited:

ISU is not Iowa’s biggest rival. Historically that is Minnesota and more recently Wisconsin since it seems the West division goes through the two of us every year.

Iowa may be ISU’s biggest rival though.

ISU loading up on all those low 3* guys, I see.

Recruiting is already suffering.

In the 24/7 rankings, ISU has the 2nd lowest "average per recruit" of the top 40 rankings.

Volume over quality.

In the Rival's rankings...ISU has ten "5.5" guys...nearly half their total guys, while the Hawks have one "5.5".

At this point, it looks like they're accepting commitments from anyone saying "yes".

Again... how is that different than any other time in our history?

Most that you listed are in the same conference and even same division within that conference. Fla/FSU and Ga Tech/UGA of course play every year, as does So Car and Clemson. Several others do not. ND plays Purdue once in a while but never IU (played once since 1958). Pitt and PSU play each other, but not every year. Texas is a little different with a lot of choices. They play their instate Conf foes, of course, but they haven’t seen A&M since they left. A&M has only played SMU, Rice, and N Texas since their departure to the SEC 10 years ago. I highly doubt OSU is in a hurry to play a home and home with Cincy once they get to the Big XII. OSU is known to play a lot of lesser instate rivals, but never outside of The Shoe.

It will be interesting to see where the B1G is and where ISU is when the contract renewal comes around. I really don’t care if Iowa agrees to play Iowa State as long as it’s their choice and feel what’s best for their program. I can’t get behind government getting involved in it. I doubt I ever will. I’ll go to my grave believing that the CyHawk game benefits one school a lot more than the other and it’s not the Hawkeyes.
I hope the government doesn't get involved. Of course, I hope the government doesn't get involved in a whole lot of things, not just football scheduling.

I think the series will continue as long as the schools are able to play non-conference games. It's been a good series, made a lot of money and had very few "incidents" of the type that mar a lot of rivalries.

Every other year Iowa gets a guaranteed sellout, charges a premium for the ticket and keeps 100% of the gate. In alternate years, they have a road game that involves negligible travel costs and is very accessible to fans. That's a pretty good deal.

Reactions: mrcyfan
Again... how is that different than any other time in our history?
Because clown fans keep touting how awesome isu’s recruiting classes have been lately. If they aren’t then fine, go tell your fellow isu fans recruiting isn’t any different than any other time in isu’s history. I’m sure they will welcome this with open arms.

I hope the government doesn't get involved. Of course, I hope the government doesn't get involved in a whole lot of things, not just football scheduling.

I think the series will continue as long as the schools are able to play non-conference games. It's been a good series, made a lot of money and had very few "incidents" of the type that mar a lot of rivalries.

Every other year Iowa gets a guaranteed sellout, charges a premium for the ticket and keeps 100% of the gate. In alternate years, they have a road game that involves negligible travel costs and is very accessible to fans. That's a pretty good deal.
isu gets a guaranteed sellout, ESPN game day, and keeps 100% of the gate. No wonder isu fans want it to stick around .

For some of us, laughing and ridiculing the Clones is fun.

And history has proven that ISU is irrelevant in college football.
They bring it on themselves...always dropping in here to trash talk. No fan base gets too far out over their skis as regularly as ISU's does...talk talk talk...then they get embarrassed. It happens over and over again.

They bring it on themselves...always dropping in here to trash talk. No fan base gets too far out over their skis as regularly as ISU's does...talk talk talk...then they get embarrassed. It happens over and over again.
Not only that but they actually believe that isu would have won the last 5 games if the game wasn’t stolen from them for one reason or another. The only game they don’t want to talk about is 2016 which was 42-3 but they simply brush that aside as not counting because gods gift to college football coaching was only in his first year in lames.

Last edited:
Why do so many people on this board care about hating ISU? I could care less and the more some of you act like they're relevant simply tells them you do care. Move on dudes
I'm curious how much less you could care

I think a good measure is to ask, what other major teams are taking visits to Ames?

The truth is, there are none. Texas and Oklahoma won't step foot in JTS again after 2024. There's no leverage to get a SEC/B1G team in the house.

Offer a 2 for 1, home, home and away. If they refuse, we walk and find a more prominent home and home partner that will continue to pack the stands.

It isn't, but Clone fans think Matty is this awesome recruiter that brings in the best talent they've ever had and the results don't back it up.

I think he is the best recruiter we've had, based on the # win, all conference players, AA, and draft picks he's produced.

Honestly I'm a little surprised at this being the take from an Iowa fan, who have frequently trumpeted how well Ferentz and this staff does developing under the radar guys.

If conference stays at 9 games or Fox says go to 10 games the series will be done.

No way I'd step foot in JT for an Iowa/ISU game. Too many asshat ISU fans. I know there will be plenty who will say they're only bad if you're bad, but I know that's not true. I don't think the Iowa bus was trash talking or inciting ire a couple years ago.

I think he is the best recruiter we've had, based on the # win, all conference players, AA, and draft picks he's produced.

Honestly I'm a little surprised at this being the take from an Iowa fan, who have frequently trumpeted how well Ferentz and this staff does developing under the radar guys.
The first team AA’s, National Award Winners and NFL First Round Picks prove KF develops players better than gods gift to college football coaching, Matty Campbell.

Or must we change the criteria in order to fit the delusional reality of isu fan?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The first team AA’s, National Award Winners and NFL First Round Picks prove KF develops players better than gods gift to college football coaching, Matty Campbell.

Or must we change the criteria in order to fit the delusional reality of isu fan?

Correct, I think Iowa is the best developmental program in the country. They do a better of job it than ISU.

If recruiting was all about talent, Texas wouldn't be 53-46 over the last 9 seasons. A big part of it is identifying the guys you can turn in to productive players. Campbell does that better than anybody else in ISU history. Ferentz is one of the best to ever do it.

KF does develop guys.

Objectively, not everyone will agree Matty has this big list of draft picks you proclaim. I realize the bar is set pretty low at ISU, so comparing him to goobers like Criner/Walden/Rhoads might give Campball an edge.

But last year's results with high expectations says your HC is nothing special.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
But last year's results with high expectations says your HC is nothing special.

I certainly hope the rest of college football has the same opinion you do, because I'd be thrilled if I got to watch his teams for the rest of my life.

Edit to add: you keep comparing ISU to Iowa. Quite frankly outside of the blue bloods, there aren't many programs that can compare with the number of NFL draft picks Iowa has had. It's a bad comparison. ISU should be comparing itself to it's own history and the programs that are currently kind of mid-level programs. In the Big 10, that would be your Minnesota's, Purdue's, etc. I think ISU is doing really well compared to those teams.

Last edited:
I certainly hope the rest of college football has the same opinion you do, because I'd be thrilled if I got to watch his teams for the rest of my life.
I heard the same things from isu fans with Dan MacCarney and Paul Rhoads. That changed in a hurry with both. Time will tell if this coach ends up the same way.

All due respect to Rhoads and Mac, they weren't nearly as good at ISU as Campbell has been.

I think anyone saying Matt Campbell hasn't done a nice job at ISU is fooling themselves.

The bar was raised with recruiting, fan support, stadium amenities and big wins started to come a little easier, if not still a challenge.

Rhoads punched above his weight in the CyHawk game, and I really think that's the root of these comparisons

Mac had a 9 win season that didn’t occur during a global pandemic. We will see if Matty Campbell can do the same.

Mac got absolutely creamed by every team he played with a pulse that year. Nothing against those guys but they didn't belong on the same field with the good teams they played. Campbell hasn't had that happen in years.

ISU loading up on all those low 3* guys, I see.

Recruiting is already suffering.

In the 24/7 rankings, ISU has the 2nd lowest "average per recruit" of the top 40 rankings.

Volume over quality.

In the Rival's rankings...ISU has ten "5.5" guys...nearly half their total guys, while the Hawks have one "5.5".

At this point, it looks like they're accepting commitments from anyone saying "yes".
Wait, Iowa State fans think Iowa State is having a good recruiting class? based on what exactly?

Also, their amazing class last year is now 50 on 247

Mac got absolutely creamed by every team he played with a pulse that year. Nothing against those guys but they didn't belong on the same field with the good teams they played. Campbell hasn't had that happen in years.
Iowa dominated the isu game last year. I don’t recall but I am sure you can correct me but Campbell also had a 10 point loss to Iowa in Iowa City in which they only ran a total of 5 plays in Iowa territory after their game opening drive. That was a complete physical mis-match. I also recall a 17 point beat down by Louisiana Lafayette in which they ran the ball something like 15 straight plays to drain all but a minute or 2 of the 4th Quarter. I also recall a Bowl Game with Notre Dame that the Irish dominated as well.

I can see why isu fan blocks that out but to say Campbell hasn’t had teams get completely owned is patently false.

Mac had a 9 win season that didn’t occur during a global pandemic. We will see if Matty Campbell can do the same.
That was a good team, a very important one for ISU, and I won't disparage it OR the job Mac did for ISU. But the team you are talking about had a very weak schedule. It played only two ranked teams and was beaten badly by both -- Lost 49-27 to #2 Nebraska and 56-10 to #19 Kansas State. They also lost 30-7 to an unranked Texas A&M team.

I think the biggest difference between Campbell and his predecessors is that Campbell's teams (after his first season) have very few losses by more than a single score and none by blowout. He also has more wins over top ten teams than his predecessors combined. In six seasons he's beaten every team in the conference at least twice and won at least once at every venue in the league.

He isn't perfect or anything close to it. His teams start slowly. He hasn't beaten Iowa. His special teams have been anything but special. I am really looking forward to this season, not because I think it's going to involve a whole lot of wins, but because I'm interested in seeing how the team copes with losing so many talented veterans.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
That was a good team, a very important one for ISU, and I won't disparage it OR the job Mac did for ISU. But the team you are talking about had a very weak schedule. It played only two ranked teams and was beaten badly by both -- Lost 49-27 to #2 Nebraska and 56-10 to #19 Kansas State. They also lost 30-7 to an unranked Texas A&M team.

I think the biggest difference between Campbell and his predecessors is that Campbell's teams (after his first season) have very few losses by more than a single score and none by blowout. He also has more wins over top ten teams than his predecessors combined. In six seasons he's beaten every team in the conference at least twice and won at least once at every venue in the league.

He isn't perfect or anything close to it. His teams start slowly. He hasn't beaten Iowa. His special teams have been anything but special. I am really looking forward to this season, not because I think it's going to involve a whole lot of wins, but because I'm interested in seeing how the team copes with losing so many talented veterans.
None?

EDIT: re-read your qualifier of "after his first season"

No matter what happens, the storm will always be brewing, it’s all part of the process, and Jamie is the bear, and the black uniforms will be worn more than their school colors.

Reactions: HerkyFan
In 2000, ISU lost to KSU by 46, NU by 22, and A&M by 23. The combined overall record of the Big 12 teams they beat, and Iowa that year was 18-49. A decent (7-5) Pitt team was the only ok team they beat all season.

In 2021 ISU lost to Iowa by 10, that was the only double digit loss of the season.
In 2020 they lost to LL, by 17, that was the only double digit loss of the season.
In 2019, ISU lost to KSU by 10, and ND by 24. Those were the only double digit losses of the season.

It's a reasoned response. Campbell is a good coach. Has had ISU play with a level of consistency that comes from focusing on the right things. The issue that probably sets Iowa fans off (myself included) is the national media and ISU fans' over the top assertions that he is God's gift to coaching. It's not said in so many words, but go watch the Iowa-ISU broadcast of last year's game and the over-the-top glowing review of Campbell as a coach by the announcers. Meanwhile, on the field the guy that has been coaching like Campbell for 20 years (and doing it a bit better, to be honest) has his team going into Ames, with almost no offense, and winning by double digits using defense, special teams and just playing consistently better down to down. But KF is a dolt, old and boring according to the national pundits.

I would be surprised if ISU does not win 8 games this year. At places like Iowa and ISU, lots of returning players and high expectations doesn't always mean success. The baseline talent isn't so good that Iowa or ISU will overwhelm most opponents on their schedules, so they have to play with a chip and win on the margins, even in good years. Can be hard to do that when everyone tells you how great you are heading into a year.

Reactions: Ree4
All due respect to Rhoads and Mac, they weren't nearly as good at ISU as Campbell has been.
McCarney won 9 games in an 11 game regular season, plus bowl game. Otherwise he had four 7 win seasons with 2 total bowl wins.

Campbell won 9 games in an 11 game regular season, plus bowl game. But that season was the COVID year where his team wasn't as impacted by mandatory quarantines as many other teams. Otherwise Matt has had 8,8,7, and 7 win seasons with 2 total bowl wins(1 of them the aforementioned COVID season).

I'm not sure I agree with you that Dan wasn't nearly as good as Matt right now. He had a much harder hill to climb in the beginning and then plateaued. He was definitely the right coach at the right time for ISU. Time will tell on Matt if he plateaus, improves, or regresses. I do agree that Rhoads isn't nearly as good as Matt though.

Reactions: Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT