ADVERTISEMENT

America’s presidential debate boss thinks Biden upended tradition … and duped Trump

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
On Wednesday morning, Frank Fahrenkopf received a letter from the Biden presidential campaign that ruined his day. Fahrenkopf is co-chair of the Commission on Presidential Debates, which has produced 33 debates since 1988, the first election year it was in business.

He was planning on four more this year: three with Biden and Trump, as well as the quadrennial vice presidential debate. But the Biden campaign told Fahrenkopf that the president would not be participating in any of them.

Instead, the Biden campaign announced that it would negotiate with the Trump campaign and individual media organizations to plan two debates outside of the Commission’s process.
By the end of the day Biden and Trump were set to debate in June on CNN and in September on ABC.
On this episode of Deep Dive, Fahrenkopf joins host and Playbook co-author Ryan Lizza to discuss the fall-out from this decision, including the roles of Biden, Trump and Anita Dunn; why he thinks RFK Jr. may have grounds for a lawsuit against CNN and what some of his favorite behind-the-scenes stories are from his decades of producing debates.

The RNC is already trying to walk back Trump's acceptance.
Probably because team Biden set the terms and they know they're getting screwed.

Trump being Trump he immediately accepted so if I'm Joe there's no negotiating...accept it or leave it. Win/win.

Reactions: Torg
Have to say this was pretty deft by team Biden.

Debate Trump but set the terms. Trump pretty much has no option but to accept.

RFK left out in the cold.

Big win for Joe IMO.
And then Trump started in on how out of it Biden is. It’s almost to the point that Biden just showing up and saying words gives him the win in each debate by default.

Trump once again showing he couldn’t manage his way out of a paper bag.

A lot of chatter on here in recent days saying things like “Trump didn’t destroy the country in his first term so don’t over react”. Well his first term he started out with at least a modicum of “traditional” Republicans in his admin. Most of them quit or were fired. At the end he was surrounded by incompetent sycophants. This is who runs his campaign now and this is who will be in charge of the executive branch. No competent Republican will work for Trump after what happened the past 8 years. It’s cultists only from here on out.

Biden is very mediocre, but in comparison to Trump and his merry band of cultists Biden is the second coming. Biden gets my vote easily despite the fact I would vote for virtually any sane Republican over him.

Honestly, what’s the point to the audience at the debates? They’re all expected to just sit on their hands, and mostly not react to anything barring perhaps the occasional applause after a particular exchange.

Trump wants one because that plays to his provocative debate style that goes for outrage. But most debates audiences add nothing.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Honestly, what’s the point to the audience at the debates? They’re all expected to just sit on their hands, and mostly not react to anything barring perhaps the occasional applause after a particular exchange.

Trump wants one because that plays to his provocative debate style that goes for outrage. But most debates audiences add nothing.
It changes the dynamic of the debate for sure, there's a reason the Biden team didn't want one.

Reactions: ICHerky
I don't remember a presidential debate without an audience, do you?
Did they have an audience for the 2020 debates? I honestly don’t remember, but with COVID being a major factor it seems like they would have limited the number of people in the venue.

*Edit - I just pulled up a couple YouTube videos and it looks like they did have a limited audience for both Presidential debates with most people seated 6 feet apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
It changes the dynamic of the debate for sure, there's a reason the Biden team didn't want one.
Trump and his core supporters have shown that they have no respect for democracy and the rest of his voters are indifferent. It's not a stretch to anticipate that the same people would fail to respect the decorum of a debate audience.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
Trump and his core supporters have shown that they have no respect for democracy and the rest of his voters are indifferent. It's not a stretch to anticipate that the same people would fail to respect the decorum of a debate audience.
I don't think that's the reason.

I don't remember a presidential debate without an audience, do you?
Yep….the first televised one……these are supposed to be “ debates” not pep rallies. Candidates in a TV studio, controlled environment and organized and structured.
What purpose does an audience serve in a debate? None………100% distraction.

Yep….the first televised one……these are supposed to be “ debates” not pep rallies. Candidates in a TV studio, controlled environment and organized and structured.
What purpose does an audience serve in a debate? None………100% distraction.
Nailed the reason team Biden eliminated the audience.

I will be shocked if Trump actually debates, especially since this debate removes all the things he thrives on. He'd have to actually articulate policy instead of just yelling and lying about nothing, telling America "where looking into that very strongly" or his other canned lines when he has no clue.

Trump and his ilk are already trying to distance themselves from his acceptance. The author of the "The Art of the Deal" will say he got a bad deal because its a rigged, unfair debate that he won't participate in, and his supporters will take that as some sort of strong move because they're dumb.

The Republicans were done with the Commission given their increasing bias. Biden had to go around the Commission if he wanted the debate with Trump. And his poll numbers necessitate he needs the debate. He desperately needs the nation to remember how much they hate Trump.

The Republicans overwhelmingly suck and suck at politics, but this was well played.

I will be shocked if Trump actually debates, especially since this debate removes all the things he thrives on. He'd have to actually articulate policy instead of just yelling and lying about nothing, telling America "where looking into that very strongly" or his other canned lines when he has no clue.

Trump and his ilk are already trying to distance themselves from his acceptance. The author of the "The Art of the Deal" will say he got a bad deal because its a rigged, unfair debate that he won't participate in, and his supporters will take that as some sort of strong move because they're dumb.
He'll get crushed at the first debate, and bail on the second one. The lack of an audience to validate him will break him. That and him being a moron in mental decline.
Trump's folks are already screaming about RFK Jr being included.

Reactions: ICHawk-I and Torg
Nailed the reason team Biden eliminated the audience.
You’re still dodging the question I asked tho - what purpose does an audience at a televised debate serve? We know obviously an audience would play to Trumps strengths-for Biden idk if it is a +/- honestly, he’s never had the reputation as a great debater.

But for your generic debate in any race, what’s the point of an audience when they’re not supposed to respond to anything anyways.

The Republicans were done with the Commission given their increasing bias. Biden had to go around the Commission if he wanted the debate with Trump. And his poll numbers necessitate he needs the debate. He desperately needs the nation to remember how much they hate Trump.

The Republicans overwhelmingly suck and suck at politics, but this was well played.
They went around the commission to make sure RFK was off the stage and set the rules.

Smart

Reactions: Nole Lou
You’re still dodging the question I asked tho - what purpose does an audience at a televised debate serve? We know obviously an audience would play to Trumps strengths-for Biden idk if it is a +/- honestly, he’s never had the reputation as a great debater.

But for your generic debate in any race, what’s the point of an audience when they’re not supposed to respond to anything anyways.
Audience provides a live reaction to debate moments. Not necessary but something team Trump would want and team Biden wouldn’t.

I have to say this whole thing just shows how far our process has fallen.

The commission on presidential debates used to work with both campaigns in a back channel and set the rules while consulting with both campaigns. At the very least that process used to have some dignity to it.

Now we get a debate by Biden putting out a video where he basically says "Alright bring it on bitch" and Trump responding on social media with "Anytime anywhere"

The dignity has been replaced by what essentially amounts to 2 drunk men challenging each other to a fist fight.

I hate that. But I do have to say I get why Biden did that. He got Trump to agree to 2 debates where he basically set all the rules.

The two-party (only) system is destroying the country. Hard to believe people keep falling for and participating in it.
The two-party (only) system is destroying the country. Hard to believe people keep falling for and participating in it.
Yet, the “2 Party system” is what keeps the country moving firward and prevents nut-jobs on the fringes from gaining control completely. Right now “The 2 Party system” is the only thing that keeps this nation under the Constitution….and prevents a facist take-over of the State. The two parties keep our peculiar type of democracy in order.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT