ADVERTISEMENT

America loves its role as “victims”!

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Do we treat those who died at Pearl Harbor the same way every 12/7 that we do those who died on 9/11? You honor the dead. You remember the day. But you move on. 9/11 was 22years ago. We remember the stories of 9/11, just as we do those stories of Pearl Harbor...We have memorials commemorating both days and events..Isn’t that enough?
Again, I appreciate the day and it’s importance in history. I always will. I just think it is important for Americans to move on from the date and the way it is celebrated.
(I don’t wanna piss off anyone...I just find it strange the way we insist on “reliving” the day more so than it’s memory.)

It feels different for me because I was alive for 9/11 and have my own memories of what happened. Pearl Harbor was always something that I read about in history books. It's still something that should be remembered and those that were killed should be honored. I'm just doing it with other people's memories and not my own.

Side note...we took the guided tour of the 9/11 museum while in NYC for the Rutgers game last fall. It was absolutely overwhelming and worth every penny. If you haven't had the chance to go, I highly recommend it.

I agree 9/11/01 needs to be remembered. Any attack on our country should be to a point. What about Oklahoma City? That was not only civilian but also killed kids and babies.

Reactions: soybean and NoleATL
Do we treat those who died at Pearl Harbor the same way every 12/7 that we do those who died on 9/11? You honor the dead. You remember the day. But you move on. 9/11 was 22years ago. We remember the stories of 9/11, just as we do those stories of Pearl Harbor...We have memorials commemorating both days and events..Isn’t that enough?
Again, I appreciate the day and it’s importance in history. I always will. I just think it is important for Americans to move on from the date and the way it is celebrated.
(I don’t wanna piss off anyone...I just find it strange the way we insist on “reliving” the day more so than it’s memory.)

"move on"?

I've always said that Americans have short term memories to their own detriment.

I guess I never accounted for other Americans who just don't give a shit.

Reactions: soybean and abby97
As posted above....it's a much more recent event. 60 years from now it'll be pretty much the same as PH in the public psyche...

happy_9_11_by_wildwanderer_d49i7ss-375w-2x.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: abby97 and BioHawk
You find some shitty stuff to bitch about Joel.

The service men and women who signed on the dotted line were being compensated for exactly that possibility.

Joe Blow on the 87th floor was an accountant.

Agree here. There is a huge difference between the two events. In the strongest definition of the term, everyone who died on 9/11 were, in fact, victims.

Good grief. People are still dying from what happened on 9/11. How many Pearl Harbor victims died 22 years after the attack. We are also STILL in a war stemming from 9/11.

"Slaves were freed centuries ago! What's with this Juneteenth?" Let's move on!

I agree 9/11/01 needs to be remembered. Any attack on our country should be to a point. What about Oklahoma City? That was not only civilian but also killed kids and babies.
Children were killed in both of those attacks. iirc, not necessarily in the towers themselves, but onboard the planes.

Good grief. People are still dying from what happened on 9/11. How many Pearl Harbor victims died 22 years after the attack. We are also STILL in a war stemming from 9/11.

"Slaves were freed centuries ago! What's with this Juneteenth?" Let's move on!
Again...the memory of the day/event I have NO problem with!

22 years later, reading the names of EVERY victim...ringing a bell at a precise moment...City, military, first responders all attending in full formal dress...THAT seems to me to be a bit over the top. Today’s Americans seem to have a wired idea of what it means to be an American...as compared to how my parents generation (and me) were reared. Do we do that for the (civilian) victims of Pearl Harbor?
For me, the way of paying homage to the fallen has taken a huge turn since the days of Vietnam Nam...a lot of “guilty conscience” from those post VN days. Post VN, in retrospect, we as a nation should have been more respectful to the victims...my feeling is that as a society, we have over reacted.

Again...the memory of the day/event I have NO problem with!

22 years later, reading the names of EVERY victim...ringing a bell at a precise moment...City, military, first responders all attending in full formal dress...THAT seems to me to be a bit over the top. Today’s Americans seem to have a wired idea of what it means to be an American...as compared to how my parents generation (and me) were reared. Do we do that for the (civilian) victims of Pearl Harbor?
For me, the way of paying homage to the fallen has taken a huge turn since the days of Vietnam Nam...a lot of “guilty conscience” from those post VN days. Post VN, in retrospect, we as a nation should have been more respectful to the victims...my feeling is that as a society, we have over reacted.
My advice would be don't listen in when the names are being read and don't watch any ceremonies. Take the day for yourself and go golfing.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth

A wonderful work mate of mine (she handled much of my initial training) at the TJX companies was on the flight out of Logan.
Absolutely fantastic person with a wonderfully twisted sense of humor.

This is a day that I don’t ever want to forget, or attempt to minimize the damage it had on our nation’s psyche. It’s different for those of us that witnessed the inhumanity on that day.

Rest easy , Linda George.

How do you feel about the 4th of July Joel? That document was signed almost 250 years ago, and we still celebrate it.

Reactions: soybean
I hate to see America living in the past like this. For me, it is overkill. Remember and Move on!
Then don’t turn on your tv or phone for social media. It’s a day to remember all the civilians lost on that day when two jets slammed into the towers and one into the Pentagon by mad men that hate our way of life. Add in the flight that slammed into the ground in Shanksville, PA, saving a lot of people that could have died if that plane hit another target in DC or the Pres or VP making an unbelievable call to shoot down a jet airliner and kill Americans trying to commute from the east coast to the west coast. Those people are hero’s to this day.

Today is about honoring all the civilian victims and the lives lost. I get you don’t have a connection to this day 22 years ago with the events that happened on the east coast. But say those words to victims families and see what type of reaction you’d get. It probably wouldn’t be too nice.

Lived in VA when this happened and was in DC the weekend after to play a rugby match. We felt it was best to play and not let the terrorists change our way of life. Saw the Pentagon and the damage done with the American flag on the side of it. It was a grim reminder of what happened that week at that site. Very sad indeed. Prayers to the victims and their families that haven’t forgotten what happened that day, 22 years ago. RIP.

Reactions: joelbc1
You can say “All Lives Matter,” and it might be true, but that doesn’t make it a good idea to say it.

Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics Sleepy Joel tries to pull on this one.
How Joel thought this thread would go:

War Running GIF by CuriosityStream

How it's actually going:

Embarrassed Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Could you imagine if Joe Biden or Donald Trump said, "It's time to move on, America. 9/11 was forever ago. Let it go!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FAUlty Gator
How Joel thought this thread would go:

War Running GIF by CuriosityStream

How it's actually going:

Embarrassed Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Could you imagine if Joe Biden or Donald Trump said, "It's time to move on, America. 9/11 was forever ago. Let it go!"
I am NOT saying that, moron!
It was 22 years ago……do we have to ring a bell and read every name 22 years later? I think this is holding on to the event for all the wrong reasons. BUT, NEVER did I say not to honor the day…..I think the “method” of honoring its victims is a bit over the top, 22 years later.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Then don’t turn on your tv or phone for social media. It’s a day to remember all the civilians lost on that day when two jets slammed into the towers and one into the Pentagon by mad men that hate our way of life. Add in the flight that slammed into the ground in Shanksville, PA, saving a lot of people that could have died if that plane hit another target in DC or the Pres or VP making an unbelievable call to shoot down a jet airliner and kill Americans trying to commute from the east coast to the west coast. Those people are hero’s to this day.

Today is about honoring all the civilian victims and the lives lost. I get you don’t have a connection to this day 22 years ago with the events that happened on the east coast. But say those words to victims families and see what type of reaction you’d get. It probably wouldn’t be too nice.

Lived in VA when this happened and was in DC the weekend after to play a rugby match. We felt it was best to play and not let the terrorists change our way of life. Saw the Pentagon and the damage done with the American flag on the side of it. It was a grim reminder of what happened that week at that site. Very sad indeed. Prayers to the victims and their families that haven’t forgotten what happened that day, 22 years ago. RIP.
I’m watching a replay of Saturday’s game right now….and the Yanks play the Sox later today, so I have some reprieve.

A military target is not the same as an office building on a Tuesday morning full of civilians.

It’s also very different, in that we literally watched everything after the first tower being hit live on TV. It wasn’t just an attack that we heard about on radio alerts or on that night’s news or the next day’s paper. We literally watched it all happen live.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT