ADVERTISEMENT

American megachurches are thriving by poaching flocks

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
https://www.economist.com/united-st...ocial&utm_content=discovery.content.evergreen

Listen to this story. Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS or Android.

Earplugs are available, should the music get too loud. Sure enough the volume—not to mention the tattooed front woman and bobbing crowd—evokes a country-rock concert. Only the lyrics suggest otherwise: “Fill it all up, fill it all up with Jesus.” Afterwards a pastor, in t-shirt and high-top sneakers, compares an Old Testament parable to a rom-com. Donations are solicited by qr code. The service is entertaining and, for many first-timers, unlike anything they expected of church.

Welcome to Life.Church, one of America’s largest megachurches, headquartered near Oklahoma City. Really it is a chain of churches, with 44 sites across 12 states. Every weekend around 80,000 people attend one of 170 services in person. Most watch a pre-recorded sermon by a senior pastor, Craig Groeschel; a junior pastor acts as an in-person mc and a worship band plays live. The whole thing blends seamlessly, and it is streamed online, too.

20230826_USC111.png

Churches have closed as the proportion of Americans who call themselves Christian has fallen from 76% in 2010 to 64% in 2020. But most of America’s 1,750 megachurches—all Protestant and mostly evangelical churches with at least 2,000 worshippers—are thriving. Between 2015 and 2020 their congregations grew by a third on average, turning younger and more multi-racial, according to the Hartford Institute for Religion Research, a think-tank in Connecticut. After a covid dip, “We’re in growth mode,” says Brian Tome, pastor of Crossroads, a nine-site church based in Ohio. “Things are fun right now.”

Concentration among churches accelerated as costs rose in the 1970s, notes Mark Chaves of Duke University. Smaller ones lost members. Though evangelicals aim to convert non-believers, about three-quarters of those who join megachurches were already practising. “We’d like to think that we’re reaching atheists. We’re reaching some, but the truth is that the body of Christ is consolidating,” says Mr Tome.

With more money and more hands, megachurches can innovate. Though they account for just 0.5% of all churches and 7% of churchgoers, their influence is felt in the music played elsewhere and the popularity of their ted-talk-style sermons, says Scott Thumma of the Hartford Institute. Nearly all the top contemporary worship songs between 2010 and 2020 came from just four megachurches.

Their success illustrates what it takes to compete in a dynamic spiritual marketplace. Bill Hybels, a megachurch pastor felled by sexual-misconduct allegations in 2018, was said to parrot Peter Drucker, a management guru: “What does the customer consider value?” Andre Audette, a political scientist at Monmouth College in Illinois, found that four-fifths of evangelical Christians have shopped around for a church—more than any other group.

What would Drucker say of the faith customer? Two trends stand out. They want to choose their level of engagement, which megachurches make easy. Those craving connection can join any number of small groups. Life.Church hosts a club for Dungeons & Dragons fans (“gamers connecting and growing closer to Christ”). Others like the anonymity. There is more pressure to donate and serve at smaller churches. Megachurch members show up and contribute less per capita.

The other trend is the weakening of denominations. Two-fifths of megachurches are non-denominational. The rest tend to downplay theirs and emphasise their own brand. Life.Church is affiliated with the Evangelical Covenant Church—but few congregants realise that. Todd Mullins of Christ Fellowship Church, a church with 14 sites in Florida, estimates that about half his flock were once Baptists or Catholics and the other half unchurched.

Consolidation will level off at some point, says Mr Chaves. And today’s winners will probably not look the same in future. Back in 2006 he found that the largest churches retained their top spot for about 20 years before being overtaken. Growing has stresses of its own. Mr Tome says he stopped sharing attendance numbers with Outreach Magazine, which ranks congregations by size, because he felt like a chief executive answering to the stockmarket. “I’m not in corporate America”, he says. “I’m in a church!”

Here are the 5 largest Mega Churches in America with their
average attendance each week.

Lakewood Church, Houston, Texas.........52,000
Potter's House, Dallas Texas....................30,000
North Point Church, Atlanta, Georgia....30,000
Christ Fellowship Church, Palm Beach, Florida......30,000
Life Church, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma..30,000

Bottom Line: Joel Osteen is the pastor of Lakewood in
Houston. He has only a high school diploma and has
made his mega church into a big business corporation.

made his mega church into a big business corporation.
Interesting; thanks Lute. I am glad you got your formatting figured out.

made his mega church into a blasphamous business corporation.
fify

• Wow
Reactions: EvolutionDenier
2 Timothy 4:3"For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled"

In other words, people do not want to go to church to be shown that their works are wicked. They want to go where the church says it's ok to live any life you want and it's ok. You make your own standards and God will still love you no matter what.
Most people do not want to have to be responsible for their choices. Don't tell me how to live is the common attitude today. Doesn't matter what God says is right and wrong Im gonna set my own standards...Most churches today wink at Gods clear moral standards. They condone any lifestyle as long as it gets them into church and the clergy into their congregations pockets.

I think I lost a friend when he told me he drove 70 miles to attend Lutheran Church of Hope. And I told him I didn't go to church to be grifted. Unfortunately, the non-believers lump Christians in the same pot as the grifters, since the grifters maintain they are Christian.

The only thing I can think of worse than going to church is going to a megachurch. Jesus Christ, those people are weirdos.
I went to one for Christmas one year and it was bonkers awesome. Then someone sitting next to us said capicity was like 1200 people, and they ran like 10 services a day over christmas eve and christmas. All at capacity.

Mega Churches generally should not be trusted since their attraction comes not from sound preaching or doctrine but from a charasmatic pastor.

Any church I attend is going to be one that will survive a pastoral change because it's done so many times before in it's history.

If your church can't survive pastoral changes it's foundation is in sand, not in rock.

Reactions: stickman80
I went to one for Christmas one year and it was bonkers awesome. Then someone sitting next to us said capicity was like 1200 people, and they ran like 10 services a day over christmas eve and christmas. All at capacity.
...and what about the other 51 weeks of the year?

Most (if not all) churches expect a surge in both attendance and giving at Xmas and Easter. Too many people that think if they go to church twice a year and throw a twenty in the plate they are covered.

Irritates the hell out of me the people you only see once (or twice) a year and they act like they are regular members.

...and what about the other 51 weeks of the year?

Most (if not all) churches expect a surge in both attendance and giving at Xmas and Easter. Too many people that think if they go to church twice a year and throw a twenty in the plate they are covered.
Are you asking about me or the church?

Are you asking about me or the church?
The church but you can comment.

My inlaws attend a large city church that has services Wed eve, Saturday eve, and 3 on Sunday. For Easter/Xmas they had 6 on Sunday..... 2 going at the same time but staggered with ones on the hour in the main sanctuary and ones on the half hour in the chapel.

Mega Churches generally should not be trusted since their attraction comes not from sound preaching or doctrine but from a charasmatic pastor.

Any church I attend is going to be one that will survive a pastoral change because it's done so many times before in it's history.

If your church can't survive pastoral changes it's foundation is in sand, not in rock.
my church has a charasmatic pastor......they tend to not stay in one place too long. Charm only lasts so long and then things go downhill when it becomes obvious that is all they have to offer. (Ask the OPs mom......she never put out until the charm was over).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT