ADVERTISEMENT

An old FB Coach once told me story with an interesting conclusion...

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Back in the day, I used to have a cup of morning coffee a couple of times a week at a local Dahl’s. Terrible coffee, cheap price and great company. A couple of the regulars in attendance were and old Drake football coach and an old broken down Cyclone basketball coach. Lots of interesting stories and BS flowed from this table.
One day we were talking football and football strategies. The old Drake coach made the following statement...
“Football coaches are by and large a pretty conservative lot. I bet that if a coach could make the following bet, almost every FB coach would sign up....The proposition would be...”Coach, you will finish this upcoming season undefeated. You will win every game you play 2-0. In exchange, you have to promise not to run any plays outside of the tackles and not throw any passes. However, you will win every game you play, 2-0.” The ol’ FB coach thought every FB coach would sign up for it. After all, football coaches are hired to WIN games.”
Towards the end of his coaching day, the old FB coach coached a game against a Hayden Fry N Texas team. Drake scored late and decided kick the XP to tie the game. When the game ended in a tie, post game handshake, Hayden asked him, why he didn’t go for 2 points and win the game...the old coach said, “Coach, we’ve only won 1 game all year, and a tie is better than a loss!”
A few years later, when the old FB coach became Drake’s AD, Hayden had UIowa arrange a FB game with Drake...and sent them a check for $250k! That check doubled Drake’s football budget. Old coaches have long memories.
I always remembered this story. I helps me understand how/why Kirk coaches the way he coaches. Don’t have to love it or hate, but one does have to appreciate it.

Back in the day, I used to have a cup of morning coffee a couple of times a week at a local Dahl’s. Terrible coffee, cheap price and great company. A couple of the regulars in attendance were and old Drake football coach and an old broken down Cyclone basketball coach. Lots of interesting stories and BS flowed from this table.
Jack Wallace?

Were you talking to old Drake Coach Wallace and Coach Johnny from ISU?

I agree that their jobs are to win games. But at the same time Iowa fans want a much better offense so that the wins are more sure to happen, more secure late in the games, and to beat the much tougher opponents the hawks face which they havent come close to beating, except PSU in 2021.

When the hawk defense goes against a tough, high powered offense like vs PSU before Clifford got hurt, OSU, Purdue, and Mich, over the last 4-5 years then the outcome without a good offense is usually not good.

Reactions: VodkaSam
One day we were talking football and football strategies. The old Drake coach made the following statement...
“Football coaches are by and large a pretty conservative lot. I bet that if a coach could make the following bet, almost every FB coach would sign up....The proposition would be...”Coach, you will finish this upcoming season undefeated. You will win every game you play 2-0. In exchange, you have to promise not to run any plays outside of the tackles and not throw any passes. However, you will win every game you play, 2-0.” The ol’ FB coach thought every FB coach would sign up for it. After all, football coaches are hired to WIN games.”
Towards the end of his coaching day, the old FB coach coached a game against a Hayden Fry N Texas team. Drake scored late and decided kick the XP to tie the game. When the game ended in a tie, post game handshake, Hayden asked him, why he didn’t go for 2 points and win the game...the old coach said, “Coach, we’ve only won 1 game all year, and a tie is better than a loss!”
A few years later, when the old FB coach became Drake’s AD, Hayden had UIowa arrange a FB game with Drake...and sent them a check for $250k! That check doubled Drake’s football budget. Old coaches have long memories.
I always remembered this story. I helps me understand how/why Kirk coaches the way he coaches. Don’t have to love it or hate, but one does have to appreciate it.
thanks for posting that anecdote. made for very enjoyable reading with a mug of coffee in hand.

You are in the entertainment business when you're coaching big-time athletics, whether you like it or not. Coaches are being evaluated by the product they put on the field. People pay big money to go to athletic events and they expect and deserve to see some excitement on the field. It ok to see a defensive game like Ohio State-Penn St. once in a while, but not every week. Even that game was interesting to watch. Iowa is one of the few schools that would allow this show to go on stage week after week with the same lead actors.
The conference changes next year and it would be a perfect time for Iowa to move to an offense that is appropriate for this century. I'm a KF fan, but it's time to step aside. Finish this year a winner and leave with your head high! Brian's, sell before date, expired about 2 years ago. He's had a chance to prove himself and it just hasn't worked out.
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT