ADVERTISEMENT

And March Madness begins in Des Moines ... in 3....2....1

Rustys Dad

HR Heisman
Jun 19, 2015
Des Moines
I work downtown and you can just feel the energy ... Open practices take place starting in the next hour or so ... planning to wander up and check out a couple of the teams ... This is such a great get for the city of Des Moines ... A buddy of mine had an extra ticket for Thursday's games so excited to for a full day of basketball ... Man, I love this time of year ... and having March Madness taking place right up the street is incredible.

I know a few people involved with the planning of March Madness in Des Moines ... and man ... this has really been thought out and the red carpet treatment is in store for visiting teams and fans ... Love living in Des Moines ... and for those taking in any of the games ... Enjoy!

Can't wait. Wish the 70 degree weather had stuck around a bit longer, but it's Iowa after all. All the block parties and St. Patrick's parties are gonna make it a cool weekend to be down here.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Can't wait. Wish the 70 degree weather had stuck around a bit longer, but it's Iowa after all. All the block parties and St. Patrick's parties are gonna make it a cool weekend to be down here.
Agree with everything you said. And re: the weather ... been watching it like a Hawk all week and hoping it cooperates ... 46 and cloudy ... Could be worse ... At least keep the rain away for the St. Pat's parade on Friday and the Hoops and Hops event ... Gonna be fun!

That's good to hear! Have a brother living in downtown Des Moines, so I'm excited to live vicariously through him as he's planning to soak in the whole weekend too. Have fun everybody!

I am excited, too. A buddy had an extra ticket for tomorrow's afternoon session so I am going to head over. KS should blow out Austin Peay but UConn and CO could be fun. The first time I ever went to the first round games was in Chicago and 3 of the 4 games went into overtime or was a game down to the last minute. There was a major upset and the whole day was just a blast.

I am excited, too. A buddy had an extra ticket for tomorrow's afternoon session so I am going to head over. KS should blow out Austin Peay but UConn and CO could be fun. The first time I ever went to the first round games was in Chicago and 3 of the 4 games went into overtime or was a game down to the last minute. There was a major upset and the whole day was just a blast.
Awesome for you! Yes, UConn and Colorado might be the best game of the day ... Will be a good one to see. Safe travels and enjoy!

Just drove by the arena. Had a few nice lines out of the north doors to get into the open practices. Plenty of people walking up from Court Ave. Exciting stuff.

I'm honestly contemplating just going down to Des Moines for the festivities. A little too late to get tickets for the games, but just to be around all the stuff going on would be a fun atmosphere, not to mention the downtown scene is gonna be packed.

I also work downtown. A group of 6 of us have tickets for all sessions. So awesome to be able to stay closer to home than years past - we go to the closest Rounds of 64 & 32 site every year - looking forward to some good basketball and hoppin' downtown Des Moines!

The open practices were a great idea for people like me who couldn't afford tickets. I don't know if that's common practice, but I got to take my oldest to see the arena where these games will be happening.

Sadly, I could only make it late and only saw Stony Brook. Kentucky has nothing to worry about. But it was still cool.

Took the these two days off and am going to kick-start things at Fuzzy's here in about an hour or so and move towards Court from there. So pumped for DSM! I hope KU, UK, and Indy all make it to day two.

"Bluegrass79, post: 4132818, member: 7442"]Ehh committee screwed Kentucky's fanbase. We don't matter to the NCAA. Ticket prices high. People threw in the towel on going to Iowa. Hopefully they make it through two games without fans there. I'd boycott the tourney if I was uk.
The bracket placement killed the fanbase excitement.
We could lose to Indiana if they have the fan advantage. That's what the NCAA committee wanted. Two road games for Kentucky.

The committee took away the fun. I've been depressed since 645pm Sunday.
It's always going to be like this with Coach Cal here. The NCAA hates him. Kentucky gets screwed because of that hate. Bracket release day isn't fun anymore."

I'm sure being born from some incestuous love takes a toll on a persons feelings and brain, but damn they're a pouty bunch.

I googled distances between Lexington/Bloomington to Des Moines and the difference was a whopping 150 miles. Just buy an extra 6 pack or 2 for the extra 2 hour drive and suck it up. Not like they're playing Oregon in Washington.

Just got back from session 1. Great atmosphere in and out of the arena. Wells is going to get dinged on lack of wifi and inefficient concessions.

Outside of that, a great scene down on Cowles for Hoops and Hops. Didn't see Court yet but I'm sure it will be hoppin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT