ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed bill would ban public displays of Satan worship in Iowa

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Seems kinda unconstitutional to me:

A proposed bill would ban public displays of Satan worship in Iowa.

It stems from the display of a pagan idol that was put up late last year at the Statehouse in Des Moines.

Advertisement

The statue was brought to the Capitol by the Satanic Temple of Iowa under state rules allowing religious displays in the building during the holidays. The move drew strong criticism from state and national leaders, including Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds and Florida Gov. and presidential candidate Ron DeSantis, both Republicans.

On Dec. 14, the figure depicting the horned deity Baphomet was “destroyed beyond repair,” according to the group, and the man accused of destroying it has been charged with a hate crime.

Michael Cassidy, a former congressional and legislative candidate from Mississippi, was charged the next day with fourth-degree criminal mischief, a misdemeanor. He told the conservative website The Sentinel that “my conscience is held captive to the word of God, not to bureaucratic decree. And so I acted.”

Cassidy is charged with felony third-degree criminal mischief. Court documents include allegations that the act was committed “in violation of individual rights” under Iowa’s hate crime statute.

“Evidence shows the defendant made statements to law enforcement and the public indicating he destroyed the property because of the victim’s religion,” Lynn Hicks, a spokesman for the Polk County Attorney’s Office, said in a statement.

Seems kinda unconstitutional to me:

A proposed bill would ban public displays of Satan worship in Iowa.

It stems from the display of a pagan idol that was put up late last year at the Statehouse in Des Moines.

Advertisement

The statue was brought to the Capitol by the Satanic Temple of Iowa under state rules allowing religious displays in the building during the holidays. The move drew strong criticism from state and national leaders, including Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds and Florida Gov. and presidential candidate Ron DeSantis, both Republicans.

On Dec. 14, the figure depicting the horned deity Baphomet was “destroyed beyond repair,” according to the group, and the man accused of destroying it has been charged with a hate crime.

Michael Cassidy, a former congressional and legislative candidate from Mississippi, was charged the next day with fourth-degree criminal mischief, a misdemeanor. He told the conservative website The Sentinel that “my conscience is held captive to the word of God, not to bureaucratic decree. And so I acted.”

Cassidy is charged with felony third-degree criminal mischief. Court documents include allegations that the act was committed “in violation of individual rights” under Iowa’s hate crime statute.

“Evidence shows the defendant made statements to law enforcement and the public indicating he destroyed the property because of the victim’s religion,” Lynn Hicks, a spokesman for the Polk County Attorney’s Office, said in a statement.
It's only normal for a group of folks who support the castration of children, the neglect of their own children and chronic drunk driving to stand up for jolly old satan!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT