ADVERTISEMENT

Any good Sci-Fi (or post apocalyptic) shows out there?

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002
I've watched the following:

- BSG (2x)
- FireFly
- Lost
- COLONY
- The 100
- Revolution
- Falling Skies
- Walking Dead (and Fear)
- Heroes
- The Expanse (couldn't get into it)

UPDATED LIST:
- Upload
- Stranger Things
- All things Trek and Star Wars

Thinking about watching 12 Monkeys, but curious if I've missed something.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: unsubstantiated
See (Apple tv)
The Travelers (Netflix)
Lost in Space (Netflix)
Another Life (season 1 was pretty good, season 2 still working through) (Netflix)
Alice in Borderland (Netflix)
Manifest (NBC/Netflix)
Altered Carbon (Netflix)
Tribes of Europe (Netflix, was pretty good)
Love, Death, Robots (Netflix)
Upload (Prime)
Man in the High Castle (Prime)
Utopia (Prime, really liked it, heard the cancelled it)
Orphan Black (Prime)
The Nevers (HBO)
Snow Piercer (show not the movie)

Last edited:
See (Apple tv)
The Travelers (Netflix)
Lost in Space (Netflix)
Another Life (season 1 was pretty good, season 2 still working through) (Netflix)
Manifest (NBC/Netflix)
Altered Carbon (Netflix)
Upload (Prime)

See (Apple tv) - Don't have Apple TV
The Travelers (Netflix) - Adding to my list
Lost in Space (Netflix) - Watched first season...it was ok
Another Life (season 1 was pretty good, season 2 still working through) (Netflix) - Season 2 is out, but Season 1 got terrible reviews so I skipped it.
Alice in Borderland (Netflix) - Haven't heard of this one.
Manifest (NBC/Netflix) - I started it, but forgot about it.
Altered Carbon (Netflix) - Adding to my list
Tribes of Europe (Netflix, was pretty good) - Haven't heard of this one.
Love, Death, Robots (Netflix) - Not interested.
Upload (Prime) - Enjoyed Season 1...looking forward to Season 2

Thanks!

If you can't get into the Expanse you aren't interested in GOOD si-fi.

Foundation is on Apple now too, but I'm guessing that one would probably not be in your wheelhouse either.
I know...I think I just picked wrong times to watch it, like late nights on Fridays and would fall asleep, and then get lost. I'm going to give it another try and focus in on plot a little more. It really should be right up my ally.

Postman_ver3.jpg

I know...I think I just picked wrong times to watch it, like late nights on Fridays and would fall asleep, and then get lost. I'm going to give it another try and focus in on plot a little more. It really should be right up my ally.
People get put off by the first season because they watch a few episodes and they make a determination about what kind of show it it. Oh, this a plague show, or this is a politics show, or this is a civil war space battle show, this is a show about racism....
The thing is, it's season one of a series that's based on a 9 part book series. It's going places you can't imagine. Be patient, hold on, and enjoy the ride. It will all start making since soon.

See (Apple tv) - Don't have Apple TV
The Travelers (Netflix) - Adding to my list
Lost in Space (Netflix) - Watched first season...it was ok
Another Life (season 1 was pretty good, season 2 still working through) (Netflix) - Season 2 is out, but Season 1 got terrible reviews so I skipped it.
Alice in Borderland (Netflix) - Haven't heard of this one.
Manifest (NBC/Netflix) - I started it, but forgot about it.
Altered Carbon (Netflix) - Adding to my list
Tribes of Europe (Netflix, was pretty good) - Haven't heard of this one.
Love, Death, Robots (Netflix) - Not interested.
Upload (Prime) - Enjoyed Season 1...looking forward to Season 2

Thanks!
Travelers is great (no The) and has a unique time-travel premise. Fair warning, it never got a conclusion. Netflix cancelled it after S3 apparently because they didn't own it. 🤬🤬🤬

I liked Altered Carbon, Upload, Man in the High Castle, and Snowpiercer (season 1 so far) from Pickr's list. You should give The Expanse another shot. I don't get Apple TV either and want to watch See and Foundation.
Some more low hanging fruit to add to Pickr's list:
Star Trek Discovery
Mandalorian (Disney+)
Stranger Things - semi-sci fi

I enjoy sci fi, but after this pandemic if I never see another post-apocalyptic show or movie, I'm fine with that.
Honestly none of them are realistic enough for me anymore. They usually had some good “prepper” characters with ammunition and supplies…..but in reality those people would be out screaming and protesting at the zombies for infringing upon their freedom….

I liked Altered Carbon, Upload, Man in the High Castle, and Snowpiercer (season 1 so far) from Pickr's list. You should give The Expanse another shot. I don't get Apple TV either and want to watch See and Foundation.
Some more low hanging fruit to add to Pickr's list:
Star Trek Discovery
Mandalorian (Disney+)
Stranger Things - semi-sci fi
I saw the Snowpiercer movie with Chris Evans...assuming this is derived from that?

I didn't include any Star Wars or Star Trek because I'm a geek when it comes to those and have seen them all, including Picard and looking forward to the Book of Boba Fett and Ahsoka. :) ...love Stranger Things also (I'm an 80s kid).

I'll add Altered Carbo and Man in the High Castle to the list.

People get put off by the first season because they watch a few episodes and they make a determination about what kind of show it it. Oh, this a plague show, or this is a politics show, or this is a civil war space battle show, this is a show about racism....
The thing is, it's season one of a series that's based on a 9 part book series. It's going places you can't imagine. Be patient, hold on, and enjoy the ride. It will all start making since soon.
It's back at the top of my list. Thanks. (I did originally have high hopes).

See (Apple tv)
The Travelers (Netflix)
Lost in Space (Netflix)
Manifest (NBC/Netflix)
Altered Carbon (Netflix)
Upload (Prime)
Man in the High Castle (Prime)
Utopia (Prime, really liked it, heard the cancelled it)
Orphan Black (Prime)
The Nevers (HBO)
Snow Piercer (show not the movie)
Utopia - yeah, it got cancelled. Partly due to mixed ratings, but it also didn’t help that it is a show that centers around a disease spreading across the country…on purpose, released during a pandemic. I liked it, but also get why it didn’t work out.

can’t wait for The Nevers to resume.

Love, Death, & Robots is really good. Mostly. It's certainly worth watching them. You can knock out the whole series in a couple of hours. Season 2 is basically half a season. Although, I really like it because I really like reading scifi short stories and the format is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Twelve Monkeys was fantastic (edit, meant the film, havent seen the new series).

The 90s mini series Stephen King's The Stand. Not sure how well it holds up now or compared to the new one, but it was badass to me at the time.

Not tv series, but these scifi flicks were all excellent.

Love, Death, & Robots is really good. Mostly. It's certainly worth watching them. You can knock out the whole series in a couple of hours. Season 2 is basically half a season. Although, I really like it because I really like reading scifi short stories and the format is pretty much the same.
The Santa one is only six or seven minutes but is one of the funniest things I've seen.

Reactions: BioHawk
Im starting Another Life S2, Foundation and See
Ive seem just about everything listed above, except Tribes of Europa

Travelers is great (no The) and has a unique time-travel premise. Fair warning, it never got a conclusion. Netflix cancelled it after S3 apparently because they didn't own it. 🤬🤬🤬
I keep hoping someone will pick it up and continue/finish it, but it seems like it may never happen

I keep hoping someone will pick it up and continue/finish it, but it seems like it may never happen
At this point the cast has scattered and are working on different projects. McCormack (who I really like in everything he does) has said it's over. They might be able to pull them back together but I'm, sadly, not counting on it

Reactions: millerhawk
Okay, I binged the last 3 episodes of season 1 last night, read a full season 1 summary/synopsis, and watched the S2 premier during lunch. It's grabbed my attention. Looks like there's going to be some serious $hit going down between Earth, Mars and the OPA. I think I just needed to focus on the darn thing instead of either being on my phone or half asleep. There's a lot going on, which requires me paying the frack attention to!

Okay, I binged the last 3 episodes of season 1 last night, read a full season 1 summary/synopsis, and watched the S2 premier during lunch. It's grabbed my attention. Looks like there's going to be some serious $hit going down between Earth, Mars and the OPA. I think I just needed to focus on the darn thing instead of either being on my phone or half asleep. There's a lot going on, which requires me paying the frack attention to!
Yup, some shows you can get away with half-watching. Expanse is not one of those.

If you can't get into the Expanse you aren't interested in GOOD si-fi.

Foundation is on Apple now too, but I'm guessing that one would probably not be in your wheelhouse either.
Okay, I just finished season 3. Great series!

SPOILER BELOW

...only thing I find odd is I'm never able to tell when the seasons end. There's no cliff hanger. In fact, when the war ended, that felt like a season closer, but it happened in the middle of the season and the next episode just picked up 6 months later. Not a gripe, just something I felt was odd.

Okay, I just finished season 3. Great series!

SPOILER BELOW

...only thing I find odd is I'm never able to tell when the seasons end. There's no cliff hanger. In fact, when the war ended, that felt like a season closer, but it happened in the middle of the season and the next episode just picked up 6 months later. Not a gripe, just something I felt was odd.
Can someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s when the show shifted to Amazon after Syfy cancelled it.

I saw the Snowpiercer movie with Chris Evans...assuming this is derived from that?

I didn't include any Star Wars or Star Trek because I'm a geek when it comes to those and have seen them all, including Picard and looking forward to the Book of Boba Fett and Ahsoka. :) ...love Stranger Things al so (I'm an 80s kid).

I'll add Altered Carbo and Man in the High Castle to the list.

The tv show (Snowpiercer) is miles better than the movie. It’s still a stupid premise but the great cast and decent writing more than make up for the premise.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I've watched the following:

- BSG (2x)
- FireFly
- Lost
- COLONY
- The 100
- Revolution
- Falling Skies
- Walking Dead (and Fear)
- Heroes
- The Expanse (couldn't get into it)

UPDATED LIST:
- Upload
- Stranger Things
- All things Trek and Star Wars

Thinking about watching 12 Monkeys, but curious if I've missed something.
Black Mirror

Try:
The Wheel of Time
Blood and Bone
and in September
Prequel of Lord of the Rings

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT