ADVERTISEMENT

Any good Sci-Fi (or post apocalyptic) shows out there?

Netflix has some foreign films I randomly got into accidently
Dark- German TV. Think stranger things with some weird time travel elements. Gets a little like the 12 Monkey's TV series.
3%- Brazilian. Very squid games like but was before squid games. When people turn 21, the top 3% are tested and the winners are taken to an island paradise, leaving the other 97% to live in poverty.
To the Lake- Russian. A viral pandemic breaks out. Family tries to flee Moscow and survive a journey to their old lake house in the countryside.
Altered Carbon is phucking fantastic.
I am Mother- A girl is raised by a robot protected from the outside world until she discovers whats out there.
The Platform- Spanish. I thought this was fantastic. People are in a vertical prison. Food comes down from the top so the upper tiers eat the best/first. Lower tiers fight for scrapes. Very artistic metaphor for society which is what I love in good sci fi.

Last edited:
If you like robot stories, there's a Russian made series called Better Than Us that is entertaining.
To the Lake was great when I watched it at the start of the Pandemic. Might be a little more depressing two years into things. However, if you liked Better Than Us, To the Lake has many of the same Russian actors.

You forgot the best one of the fantasy shows, the Witcher.

I don't know what it is, but I am really struggling to go all in with the Witcher.

I have watched or started.....
The Silent Sea (recognized some of the actors in this show from the Korean zombie movie Train from Busan). Both have high production quality
Into the Night
Black Summer
Away
Sweeth Tooth
Dark Matter

Couple movies I also liked in the same vein
The Midnight Sky
IO Last on Earth

On my list for later is
Into the BadLands
Tribes of Europe

Watching The Silent Sea now and enjoying it.

I liked Into the Badlands, pretty fun if you enjoy martial arts action.

I don't know what it is, but I am really struggling to go all in with the Witcher.

The Silent Sea (recognized some of the actors in this show from the Korean zombie movie Train from Busan). Both have high production quality
Into the Night
Black Summer
Away
Sweeth Tooth
Dark Matter

The Midnight Sky
IO Last on Earth

On my list for later is
Into the BadLands
Tribes of Europe

The first season of the Witcher they Quinton Tarrantinoed it….ie there’s flashbacks within flashbacks, so it’s not linear as they’re jumping around time. And there’s little to indicate what time you’re in unless you pay close attention. Plus he’s in different places around the continent and it gets doubly confusing if you don’t know the books.

But the second season they cut the time jumping out, it is straightforward linear. And just as importantly, they really started to differentiate the areas and give a better idea of where you are in the map. Just that simple change makes Season two light years better than Season One.

But having said that…the Witcher always had better acting, better fight scenes, better boobage, better creature and costume designs and better overall interesting storylines than all of the other Fantasy shows on now.

Reactions: noleclone2
Watching The Silent Sea now and enjoying it.

I liked Into the Badlands, pretty fun if you enjoy martial arts action.

Have you seen the Warrior then? It’s martial arts destroys the Badlands (and yes…I too liked the Badlands, it’s just the Warrior is ten times better).

Reactions: ericram
I've watched the following:

- BSG (2x)
- FireFly
- Lost
- COLONY
- The 100
- Revolution
- Falling Skies
- Walking Dead (and Fear)
- Heroes
- The Expanse (couldn't get into it)

UPDATED LIST:
- Upload
- Stranger Things
- All things Trek and Star Wars

Thinking about watching 12 Monkeys, but curious if I've missed something.
Into the badlands
Wheel of time

Last edited:
Reactions: Urohawk
I know...I think I just picked wrong times to watch it, like late nights on Fridays and would fall asleep, and then get lost. I'm going to give it another try and focus in on plot a little more. It really should be right up my ally.
Yeah, you really need to pay attention the first couple of episodes.

Stop playing games on your phone or computer while watching TV (at least for a little while).

The brilliant first novel was equally hard to follow at first - so much so that I was sure the TV show would flop out of the gate - but both the books and TV series are well worth the early effort.

Just got done watching Station Eleven. Pretty badass if you like post apocalyptic films/series.
This is next for me, along with Foundation.

Or maybe I’m just trying to chase Halt and Catch Fire, since both shows feature HCF actors (Mackenzie Davis - Station 11 & Lee Pace- Foundation).

Glad to see some love for The Expanse, probably the best ”hard” sci-fi ever made. I hope they continue with the books, maybe with Amazon original movies.

Another +1 for Netflix’s Black Mirror and Love, Death & Robots (Esp. Season 1). And I don’t care what the anime fans say, I loved the style of the live action Cowboy Beboop (Netflix canceled after 1 season)

Finch (Tom Hanks, AppleTV) was visually interesting but the story was too predictable.

Raised by Wolves (HBOMax) is a total mind****, great effects, complex characters and story. Watch Season 1, then check out the AltShiftX video on YouTube that explains all of the mythology & symbolism. Season 2 just started, but I’m already lost. Need to rewatch S1.

And while you’re on YouTube, check out the channel called “Dust”. Lots of short sci-fi films by different creators, hit or miss.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Netflix has some foreign films I randomly got into accidently
Dark- German TV. Think stranger things with some weird time travel elements. Gets a little like the 12 Monkey's TV series.
3%- Brazilian. Very squid games like but was before squid games. When people turn 21, the top 3% are tested and the winners are taken to an island paradise, leaving the other 97% to live in poverty.
To the Lake- Russian. A viral pandemic breaks out. Family tries to flee Moscow and survive a journey to their old lake house in the countryside.
Altered Carbon is phucking fantastic.
I am Mother- A girl is raised by a robot protected from the outside world until she discovers whats out there.
The Platform- Spanish. I thought this was fantastic. People are in a vertical prison. Food comes down from the top so the upper tiers eat the best/first. Lower tiers fight for scrapes. Very artistic metaphor for society which is what I love in good sci fi.
The Platform is pretty messed up. Lol
Enjoyed it.

Raised by Wolves (HBOMax) is a total mind****, great effects, complex characters and story. Watch Season 1, then check out the AltShiftX video on YouTube that explains all of the mythology & symbolism. Season 2 just started, but I’m already lost. Need to rewatch S1.
I'll start season 2 of Raised by Wolves after the Olympics.

Nobody I know stuck with it. I thought it was great at first, but am not so sure where they are going with it.

Thanks for the YT video tip. I just watched it. Wow!

Reactions: bladel
I'll start season 2 of Raised by Wolves after the Olympics.

Nobody I know stuck with it. I thought it was great at first, but am not so sure where they are going with it.

Thanks for the YT video tip. I just watched it. Wow!

Stayed with S1, semi begrudgingly. Couldn’t even get through the first episode of S2 the other night. Production value has dropped dramatically, and the direction/editing is nearing amateur level.

Stayed with S1, semi begrudgingly. Couldn’t even get through the first episode of S2 the other night. Production value has dropped dramatically, and the direction/editing is nearing amateur level.
Sorry to hear that. I'll see for myself at some point soon (the Olympics have put a lot of other TV watching on pause for now).

It had some weird elements in S1, but I could roll with them.

Cowboy Bebop — anybody think it’s worth a watch? internet says it’s a well regarded scifi show but it’s pretty old, so wanted to know if it holds up.

Reactions: Moral

Into the Night
Black Summer
Away
Sweeth Tooth
Dark Matter

The Midnight Sky
IO Last on Earth

On my list for later is
Into the BadLands
Tribes of Europe
Are you into season 1 or 2 of the witcher? Season one did all sorts of stupid flashbacks in filming and left the person watching wondering what timeline they were in. Season 2 is much better.

Dark matter is based off a comic book and is fantastic. I think SyFy had some issues retaining licensing as it wasn't their primary show. As a result, it just ended after season 3. It was written with a 5 season arc. I wish their was more as I enjoyed the characters and backstory. Just be prepared for it to end suddenly. Kind of like Firefly (which if you haven't watched is fantastic) which ended and then they made a movie to add closure to the TV series which obtained cult status after cancelling. This was a great space adventure with good crew development.

Into the badlands
- This is really a cross between post apocalyptic and kung fu movies. I liked it. It was cancelled in season 4 which was enough to close plotlines through the first 4 seasons but alluded to something bigger in the future which obviously never came to be. This was must watch TV for me along with walking dead.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Oats Studios no Netflix is a series of shorts that are plot ideas for movies done by Neil Blomkamp's studio of District 9 fame. Fabulous short stories. Some are stinkers but most are awesome and I'd guess any sci fi fan would love the brainstorming of ideas.

Are you into season 1 or 2 of the witcher? Season one did all sorts of stupid flashbacks in filming and left the person watching wondering what timeline they were in. Season 2 is much better.

Dark matter is based off a comic book and is fantastic. I think SyFy had some issues retaining licensing as it wasn't their primary show. As a result, it just ended after season 3. It was written with a 5 season arc. I wish their was more as I enjoyed the characters and backstory. Just be prepared for it to end suddenly. Kind of like Firefly (which if you haven't watched is fantastic) which ended and then they made a movie to add closure to the TV series which obtained cult status after cancelling. This was a great space adventure with good crew development.

Into the badlands- This is really a cross between post apocalyptic and kung fu movies. I liked it. It was cancelled in season 4 which was enough to close plotlines through the first 4 seasons but alluded to something bigger in the future which obviously never came to be. This was must watch TV for me along with walking dead.

Im in S1 in Witcher. I have been watching when I go to sleep, so I expect if I watched it again with focus, I may have a different opinion.

Last edited:
Cowboy Bebop — anybody think it’s worth a watch? internet says it’s a well regarded scifi show but it’s pretty old, so wanted to know if it holds up.

The anime is worth a watch. Pretty bummed the live action got killed after season 1.

Reactions: desihawk
No love for "War of the Worlds" on Epix? It has been pretty good. Well written, well acted and thought-provoking. It's not a special effects whiz bang typical alien invasion thriller. More story and character driven. And similar to a lot of modern cable series, not afraid to kill off major characters with little or no warning.

The anime is worth a watch. Pretty bummed the live action got killed after season 1.
Yeah, i was disappointed as well. The world building and acting/character chemistry was fantastic. And like every former Band kid, I dream of a future when freestyle jazz is popular again. 😜. But I guess the Anime fans were in full revolt over some of the characters, esp. Faye.

Reactions: Moral

Into the badlands- This is really a cross between post apocalyptic and kung fu movies. I liked it. It was cancelled in season 4 which was enough to close plotlines through the first 4 seasons but alluded to something bigger in the future which obviously never came to be. This was must watch TV for me along with walking dead.

I actually started a new episode last night. Was confused cause I had already thought I'd seen the princess and the queen talk about her going with Gerald, am I crazy, did I reset to E1, WTF? Had to get out of the show and validate which episode I was watching, yep, just a rehash and flashback.... keep going.

I really liked Dark Matter, too bad it didn't last.

Not SciFi, but finally started Reacher, much more like the book. Im in.

What's the best way to know if a show is a serial (plot driven) or episodic (monster of the week)? I'm really wanting another continuing story, or series of story lines like Agents of SHIELD or a BSG.

I've already watched:

- BSG (2x)
- FireFly
- Lost
- COLONY
- The 100
- Revolution
- Falling Skies
- Heroes
- Upload
- Stranger Things
- All Trek and Star Wars
- Black Mirror

Since my OP, I've added:
- The Orville
- The Expanse
- Agents of SHIELD
- TITANS
- Lost in Space (reboot)
- Picard, Strange New Worlds (Discovery sucked!)

Considering Next:
- 12 Monkeys
- Farscape (going old school)
- Travelers
- Station Eleven

What's the best way to know if a show is a serial (plot driven) or episodic (monster of the week)? I'm really wanting another continuing story, or series of story lines like Agents of SHIELD or a BSG.

I've already watched:

- BSG (2x)
- FireFly
- Lost
- COLONY
- The 100
- Revolution
- Falling Skies
- Heroes
- Upload
- Stranger Things
- All Trek and Star Wars
- Black Mirror

Since my OP, I've added:
- The Orville
- The Expanse
- Agents of SHIELD
- TITANS
- Lost in Space (reboot)

Considering Next:
- 12 Monkeys
- Travelers
- Station Eleven
I loved 12 Monkeys. Have seen it a couple times. I enjoyed Station Eleven also.

Jericho was fine, but it didn’t live up to the premise, which was excellent.

I've already watched:

- BSG (2x)
- FireFly
- Lost
- COLONY
- The 100
- Revolution
- Falling Skies
- Heroes
- Upload
- Stranger Things
- All Trek and Star Wars
- Black Mirror

Since my OP, I've added:
- The Orville
- The Expanse
- Agents of SHIELD
- TITANS
- Lost in Space (reboot)

Considering Next:
- 12 Monkeys
- Travelers
- Station Eleven
Doom Patrol or Resident Alien.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT