ADVERTISEMENT

Any good Sci-Fi (or post apocalyptic) shows out there?

I haven't seen season 4, but I've been told much of the same. Frankly, my only peeve has been TOO many characters to keep up with.

I recently decided to rewatch Fringe. It's a strangely wonderful show in many ways. The first season was uneven. Good overall, with likeable characters, strange cases, and some X-Files vibes, but it didn't quite all hang together. Once they shifted to the parallel universe story arc, though, it really took off and became one of my favorite sci-fi shows ever.

If you haven't seen it, definitely give it a try (it's on MAX). Just be sure to stick with it until it gets its legs. You may experience a couple of WTF moments across the seasons, but stick with them. They all work and are worth the effort.

I recently decided to rewatch Fringe. It's a strangely wonderful show in many ways. The first season was uneven. Good overall, with likeable characters, strange cases, and some X-Files vibes, but it didn't quite all hang together. Once they shifted to the parallel universe story arc, though, it really took off and became one of my favorite sci-fi shows ever.

If you haven't seen it, definitely give it a try (it's on MAX). Just be sure to stick with it until it gets its legs. You may experience a couple of WTF moments across the seasons, but stick with them. They all work and are worth the effort.
Fringe is really good. I’ve watched all seasons 3x

I really enjoyed the movie annihilation though technically I think it's classified as a cosmic horror
Someday I'm going to rewatch that movie - a stunning movie in many ways, to the point that I knew there was stuff in the movie that I knew I was missing.

Ex Machina is an excellent movie in that mold as well.

Reactions: Scruddy
It's weird that @millah_22 bumped this when I also happened to be binging Station Eleven again on some goodies Santa left in my stocking. The universe man
for some reason my twitter was all 30 rock quotes last week, it was awesome. Now this week it's all Station Eleven. Aparently its gained a lot of traction on twitter and now a lot of people are like "how did we all miss this show when it premeired?"

twitter has been quite refreshing in that way. Also a lot of pop tart mascot.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
for some reason my twitter was all 30 rock quotes last week, it was awesome. Now this week it's all Station Eleven. Aparently its gained a lot of traction on twitter and now a lot of people are like "how did we all miss this show when it premeired?"

It's a good one for sitting on your ass for ten hours which I guess a lot of us have had time to do this week. And there are two ways in. Either sci-fan or theater kid dork. And if you happen to be both it's basically TV heroin

It's a good one for sitting on your ass for ten hours which I guess a lot of us have had time to do this week. And there are two ways in. Either sci-fan or theater kid dork. And if you happen to be both it's basically TV heroin
I think a lot of people passed on it in 2021 bc a show about the pandemic hit a little too close to home.

I think a lot of people passed on it in 2021 bc a show about the pandemic hit a little too close to home.
Well sucks to be them, we're in on the ground floor of being the most annoying fans about what will go down as one of the best miniseries of the decade.

Someday I'm going to rewatch that movie - a stunning movie in many ways, to the point that I knew there was stuff in the movie that I knew I was missing.

Ex Machina is an excellent movie in that mold as well.
Ex Machina is a great recommendation as well. Teacher, did we just agree on two consecutive things? I feel like we're turning a new page in our friendship :)

• Haha
Reactions: sober_teacher

Count me as one of those who missed it. I started it a few days ago and am through 7 episodes. I've noticed you have to really pay attention to some stuff. I've actually read the book but I literally don't remember much of the plot. I remembered the traveling Shakespeare troupe but that's about all

@Tenacious E

You need to scroll through here. Since this post I've watched BSG another full time through (during COVID along with FireFly), I got into the Expanse (thanks to @BelemNole 's nudge) and it was fantastic. Additionally, I've watched:

• Foundation
  • Silo
  • Monarch: Legacy of Monsters (and gone back and rewatched every Godzilla/Kong movie that's tied to it)
  • Travelers
  • All the Star Wars shows, Mando, Fett, Ahsoka & Kenobi
If you never watched Jericho, that was a great series, that like FireFly, got canx too soon. They wrapped it up with a graphic novel.

@Tenacious E

You need to scroll through here. Since this post I've watched BSG another full time through (during COVID along with FireFly), I got into the Expanse (thanks to @BelemNole 's nudge) and it was fantastic. Additionally, I've watched:

• Foundation
  • Silo
  • Monarch: Legacy of Monsters (and gone back and rewatched every Godzilla/Kong movie that's tied to it)
  • Travelers
If you never watched Jericho, that was a great series, that like FireFly, got canx too soon. They wrapped it up with a graphic novel.
we liked the first half of Silo. Got kind of bored by the 2nd half. Still waiting for S2 of Severance.

@Tenacious E

• Foundation
  • Silo
  • Travelers
I notice you didn't include Station Eleven in your list

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I notice you didn't include Station Eleven in your list
I liked the first episode, then just didn't like any of the others. I did finish it too trying to give it a good go. (I was hoping it was like The Expanse for me...meh at first, then got into it. It wound up being the reverse)

@Tenacious E

• Foundation
  • Silo
  • Travelers
Travelers got canned, too. I'm not sure where they were going with the reset at the end of season 3 but it does kind of work as a series finale...though unsatisfying.

@Tenacious E

• Foundation
  • Silo
  • Travelers
I need to get back to Silo and Monarch. Agree on all the others.

We just started The Stand (Parmaount +, 2020-2021). Wonder how it stacks up against the book.
The Stand as a book suffers from what I think of as the Stephen King disease: books that are awesome to start but degenerate into too weird and/or boring by the end.

The Stephen King disease is sort of like the Piers Anthony disease, where later books in a series seem to be written by an author who has lost interest and is just churning out crap because he signed a contract for 7 books. King just manages to get their within the same book.

Which is to say I loved the beginning of The Stand (the book). I think I finished it, but was disappointed by the end. I never finished the 1994 TV version (7.1 on IMDb) and doubt I'll inflict the new one (5.7) on myself, unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Reactions: drew_hawk
I need to get back to Silo and Monarch. Agree on all the others.
Monarch first episode spoiler:

It had been so long since I'd scene Skull Island, I forgot John Goodman was Bill Randa. Still wondering how they will tie in that scene where he threw his studies into the ocean vs how he got eaten in Kong. Glad I went back and watched all the movies. Nothing earth shatter, but fun monster sci-fi none-the-less.

It had been so long since I'd scene Skull Island, I forgot John Goodman was Bill Randa. Still wondering how they will tie in that scene where he threw his studies into the ocean vs how he got eaten in Kong. Glad I went back and watched all the movies. Nothing earth shatter, but fun monster sci-fi none-the-less.
I’m hoping they have a better movie for Godzilla x Kong; I’ve been disappointed by the last couple movies though monster action was good but the general plot suffered in both imo.

Really enjoyed Monarch.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
There's another thread out there for it, but Constellation on Apple is alright- in a "I sort of get it but sort of don't" kind of way

I’m hoping they have a better movie for Godzilla x Kong; I’ve been disappointed by the last couple movies though monster action was good but the general plot suffered in both imo.

Really enjoyed Monarch.
@sober_teacher Did you ever see the Avatar I made you?

oIm62Nx.png

So you're saying that those who know the earlier movies may understand what's going on better?

To me, there were a lot of "WTF is going on" questions at first, mostly because there were previous events that we weren't told about. Since some of those become more clear over subsequent shows, I figured they were doing that intentionally, so we'd have stuff we had to figure out. A tactic I don't mind if the show is good enough. But it sounds like aficionados of this genre might already have a better idea of what went before.

So you're saying that those who know the earlier movies may understand what's going on better?

To me, there were a lot of "WTF is going on" questions at first, mostly because there were previous events that we weren't told about. Since some of those become more clear over subsequent shows, I figured they were doing that intentionally, so we'd have stuff we had to figure out. A tactic I don't mind if the show is good enough. But it sounds like aficionados of this genre might already have a better idea of what went before.
What I like about the show, is you don't need to watch the movies to enjoy it. However, if you do watch them, the tie-ins are great. Makes the show feel expansive. The biggest one that I just simply missed was Bill Randa. Had I watched them first, it would have been a great John Goodman cameo,not just a head scratcher (big named actor, little bitty part).

There's another thread out there for it, but Constellation on Apple is alright- in a "I sort of get it but sort of don't" kind of way
I got halfway through it and gave up. I'm willing to try again if people praise it enough.

It was a bad TV night for me. Before trying Constellation, I watched 2 hours of Napoleon before giving up. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did. When they couldn't even make the battle scenes and the burning of Moscow interesting, my patience ran out. It's mostly a love story - but is arguably the least romantic love story ever filmed.

Reactions: TennNole17
I got halfway through it and gave up. I'm willing to try again if people praise it enough.

It was a bad TV night for me. Before trying Constellation, I watched 2 hours of Napoleon before giving up. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did. When they couldn't even make the battle scenes and the burning of Moscow interesting, my patience ran out. It's mostly a love story - but is arguably the least romantic love story ever filmed.
I will not try Napoleon based on this- thanks for saving my time haha

The trouble with Napoleon is that they’re trying to cram 25 years of events into a single movie; it’s not a terrible summation but there’s so much that they had to gloss over that made other events they did show that much more important, but were lacking context as a result.

I’d have loved this as an 8 or 10 part limited series to be honest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT