ADVERTISEMENT

Any HROTERS going to “Unite The Right” Rally in Virgina?

Of course both sides would be charged. That doesn't eliminate what a Sherman statue represents to some people. Which is what we are discussing with the removal of Lee's statue.

True, which I already answered, let the people decide. They do that through their elected government. Again, SOME people have had a problem with the Confederate statues for a very long time. And for about 100 years I presume if they dared say anything and happened to have the wrong colored skin they'd be in a world of hurt.

So, times have changed...hence statues are being removed across the South. I guess at least it's nice none of those white power goons were lynched yesterday. In ten years? Who knows?

Reactions: BelemNole
Of course both sides would be charged. That doesn't eliminate what a Sherman statue represents to some people. Which is what we are discussing with the removal of Lee's statue.
I would welcome a Sherman statue in my town. He was every bit the war hero as say, McArthur was in WW2. Sherman overcame a lot in his lifetime, including mental illness. Yet, he kept it pretty much on the (fit the times) straight and narrow, given the times and the circumstances.....which are criteria historians need to remember when revising their history.

I would welcome a Sherman statue in my town. He was every bit the war hero as say, McArthur was in WW2. Sherman overcame a lot in his lifetime, including mental illness. Yet, he kept it pretty much on the (fit the times) straight and narrow, given the times and the circumstances.....which are criteria historians need to remember when revising their history.
I don't have a problem with either statue. What you just described was the perfect example of how different people have different opinions on the same people. Go to Savannah GA or Columbia SC and in front of the city council, propose to erect a statue of Sherman. Make sure you cite the same reasons. Let me know how that idea was received. Propose the same idea in Ohio and you'll get a completely different reception.

I don't have a problem with either statue. What you just described was the perfect example of how different people have different opinions on the same people. Go to Savannah GA or Columbia SC and in front of the city council, propose to erect a statue of Sherman. Make sure you cite the same reasons. Let me know how that idea was received. Propose the same idea in Ohio and you'll get a completely different reception.
And yet the history is the same....it is the perception of reality that is different. In this case, Southerners choose to support racism. I can't help that...sounds like a societal problem and dealing with reality.

Reactions: naturalmwa
And yet the history is the same....it is the perception of reality that is different. In this case, Southerners choose to support racism. I can't help that...sounds like a societal problem and dealing with reality.
There are problems with it in my opinion as well. But I prefer to teach from it vs hide from it.

That's a crisis actor performing for the camera. I didn't see the punch connect. In fact, she stepped right back up. Odd that she didn't go down like Frazier....or Heather Brooke.

Reactions: Gimmered
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT