ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on DeSanto?

NCAA has a loophole that you maintain NCAA eligibility in another sport if you choose to go pro in a different sport. Weeden went pro in baseball for 5 years, then chose to go back to college. It is essentially in place as a fall back plan for talented multi sport athletes. This is an exception to the standard eligibility.

College athletes also get one more year of eligibility in a different sport if they choose. Hence why J’den Cox and Tony Nelson toyed with playing football for one year after their wrestling careers.

I'll stand by my original post, which is that (with some exceptions) in wrestling you have a year to start college and then five years thereafter to complete four years of eligibility. I could always be incorrect, but I don't believe so.

our greatest asset on this is spencer lee, he will be the calming steady influnence that austin can use to make it through stressfull times, but is it fair to ask spencer to sacrifice in this way.i know he will do it, i know he will be invaluable as a mentor, but i do not know if it is fair.

I'll stand by my original post, which is that (with some exceptions) in wrestling you have a year to start college and then five years thereafter to complete four years of eligibility. I could always be incorrect, but I don't believe so.

I don’t know what the argument is here or if it’s just a miscommunication. An athlete can have a gap year between high school and college, generally called a gray shirt...this is as long as he or she doesn’t enroll...like Stickley. Theoretically, they would still have a redshirt available...like Burak could have done since he spent a year at OTC. But yes...you are correct.

I don’t know what the argument is here or if it’s just a miscommunication. An athlete can have a gap year between high school and college, generally called a gray shirt...this is as long as he or she doesn’t enroll...like Stickley. Theoretically, they would still have a redshirt available...like Burak could have done since he spent a year at OTC. But yes...you are correct.
I’m sorry that I took you out of my will. ;)

I believe Downey and McCauley both spent 2 years at the OTC after HS. Were they considered freshmen or sophomores when they got to Nebraska?

Found a couple things supporting that it starts at 21. Forget how to post links though so I guess either believe it or not haha.

Here is a quote from a b-ball coach from 2017.

“Basically, the NCAA clock starts at age 21 unless the student athlete has already participated in college athletics. If the student has already participated in college athletics, from that point on the student athlete has 5 years to complete. All of this can be waivered if there is military service after the start of athletic competition.”

So technically you have a few years after high school to enroll.

Found a couple things supporting that it starts at 21. Forget how to post links though so I guess either believe it or not haha.

“Basically, the NCAA clock starts at age 21 unless the student athlete has already participated in college athletics. If the student has already participated in college athletics, from that point on the student athlete has 5 years to complete. All of this can be waivered if there is military service after the start of athletic competition.”

Chris Weinke played 6 years of minor league baseball before enrolling at FSU. He was 28 when he won the Heisman.

Reactions: Dingledorf13
Chris Weinke played 6 years of minor league baseball before enrolling at FSU. He was 28 when he won the Heisman.
Please see post above reguarding going pro in a sport and returning to college in a different sport as being an exception to the rule.

I’m sorry that I took you out of my will. ;)

Actually, I was supporting your argument...but now that you have revealed the truth

shocked.gif

NCAA has a loophole that you maintain NCAA eligibility in another sport if you choose to go pro in a different sport. Weeden went pro in baseball for 5 years, then chose to go back to college. It is essentially in place as a fall back plan for talented multi sport athletes. This is an exception to the standard eligibility.

College athletes also get one more year of eligibility in a different sport if they choose. Hence why J’den Cox and Tony Nelson toyed with playing football for one year after their wrestling careers.
Regarding the college comment, ISU had a player do this, Steve Johnson I believe. Played 4 years of either football or basketball, then the 5th year for the other sport.

Regarding the college comment, ISU had a player do this, Steve Johnson I believe. Played 4 years of either football or basketball, then the 5th year for the other sport.

It's happened a lot. Steve Mocco did it at Okie State.

Reactions: andegre
our greatest asset on this is spencer lee, he will be the calming steady influnence that austin can use to make it through stressfull times, but is it fair to ask spencer to sacrifice in this way.i know he will do it, i know he will be invaluable as a mentor, but i do not know if it is fair.
Fair? Not sure if you were/are a college athlete or not but this is the very definition of teammate (or training partners if you default to the “this is an individual sport” argument.). By the way, Spencer wasn’t born a world champ. People did exactly for him what he might be called on to do for Austin.

Wasdt21, I’m a fan but had to take issue with this. Don’t put this thought process out there because, before you know it, trollers will be saying it’s because of Spencer’s selfishness that Austin didn’t come or pan out (if it happens).

I assume there are different rules for DIII, because University of Southern Maine had a guy who wrestled in his 40's.

I think you're getting Perry also. DeSanto and Spencer in your room, you need to know that this is THE best thing for Austin and his battle with manic issues on the mat. This makes you a factor now and on one hand I'm even more worried, but on the other hand, he can block Pletcher so there's that also. As far as Perry, am I the only one who thinks Turk beats him in the room anyway? But, iron sharpens iron and you get better with Perry also.

Off topic but I laughed even more today when once again, somebody tried to tell me that Zahid "walks around" at 176. LMAO.

Check everyday that Austin has committed - nada yet but hoping he’s a Hawk. I doubt Perry is coming. Murin set at 41 next year IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT