ADVERTISEMENT

Any of youz own a outdoor pizza oven?

Nah. I watched a lot of videos of those new dangled ones you can buy but I haven’t pulled the trigger. You thinking about building a full on clay or brick one?

Reactions: GOHOX69
Got a propane 12 inch Ooni last summer. Do not have mad skillz.

Results have been mixed, but some have been pretty tasty. Still refining the process so that it doesn't end up feeling like a lot of work.

I have a Bertello; overall, I'm happy with it. It can be heated using either propane, charcoal/wood chunks, or combination (i.e. get it hot with the propane, then add in a wood chunk to get it hotter/give it the smoke/charcoal flavor).
I do not have mad skillz, but am getting the hang of it (got it a few months ago). Cooking steak, burgers, whatever on the grill mixes far better with drinking than does using a pizza oven.

I do and I'm not great at it yet. I need to try a different dough recipe because the one I used made stretching the dough really difficult. Tore way too easily.
Try 60 percent hydration and high gluten flour. Bread flour or 00.

I've had a few. Currently have this one: https://www.campchef.com/pz30d/CC-PZ30D.html

It's not as good as my previous one, but does the job.
I don't bother making my own dough anymore. If I decide to make pizzas that day I drive over to the Nugget and pick up a couple fresh pizza doughs. They're better than mine and don't require me to plan 3 days in advance.
AP1GczNmknCQA41931k_rZT6ScNKvsRdJ8G0tXHUUUpvFwegx2ujajspWddOMZeJzV7_uY3t9HQhw2Bv9shA4KZJo9Mk1WBq2kqjCi5RCvVDQTtMzK9NsvEjlMylTDh93G-uyJ5K9KH_2uj3tBSfESFYSmrilA=w1271-h953-s-no-gm

I've had a few. Currently have this one: https://www.campchef.com/pz30d/CC-PZ30D.html

It's not as good as my previous one, but does the job.
I don't bother making my own dough anymore. If I decide to make pizzas that day I drive over to the Nugget and pick up a couple fresh pizza doughs. They're better than mine and don't require me to plan 3 days in advance.
AP1GczNmknCQA41931k_rZT6ScNKvsRdJ8G0tXHUUUpvFwegx2ujajspWddOMZeJzV7_uY3t9HQhw2Bv9shA4KZJo9Mk1WBq2kqjCi5RCvVDQTtMzK9NsvEjlMylTDh93G-uyJ5K9KH_2uj3tBSfESFYSmrilA=w1271-h953-s-no-gm
This so true, no out door pizza oven but make a lot of home made pizza's at home. Homemade pizza awesome, homemade pizza dough blows. Buying premade pizza dough from experts. Brilliant!!!

Nah. I watched a lot of videos of those new dangled ones you can buy but I haven’t pulled the trigger. You thinking about building a full on clay or brick one?
I am now what you call an expert. Mainly based on stupidity and part science. My first oven was a ooni fyra. It was an incredibly horrid design and worked on pellets.

I later puchased a Bertello multi-fuel oven. I liked aspects of it. I didn't like that the crusts burned. The solution was too fold. 1. Crank the gas down to 0 and put some wood hunks when the pizza goes in. 2. I changed the pizza stone and it has made all the difference. It came with a synthetic cordierite stone that simply just gets too freaking hot and then the bottom is carbon. I changed it with a biscotto stone which is substantially thicker and made from a clay natural product and now I can crank pies with no effort.

To some of my brethren having pizza recipe issues, ooni makes an excellent app (free/no ads) where you can specify the type of pizza, number etc.
Your dough is under proofed.
Let it come to room temp.

I have a wood fired Ooni. I am definitely not proficient…keep screwing up the dough.

I can highly recommend the Ooni. My dough issues aside it cooks really well. Plus it is damn near indestructible. We got hit by a small tornado in late February and it flew maybe 50 feet. I figured it was a goner, but it only suffered a slight bend in the chimney which I easily fixed. Still works like a charm.

Never tried a pizza oven. Have several grills and smokers and don’t eat much pizza. Intrigued by the outdoor pizza cooker - but some say they cook the pizza in minutes … sounds like too much prep getting it ready for just a few minutes of cook time?

Never tried a pizza oven. Have several grills and smokers and don’t eat much pizza. Intrigued by the outdoor pizza cooker - but some say they cook the pizza in minutes … sounds like too much prep getting it ready for just a few minutes of cook time?
This is rich coming from someone with way too many cooking apparatuses, but I agree. Unless I was hosting a party and wanted to crank out 10 to 20 pizzas, just seems like a shit ton of effort for a 2 minute cook. Now, I could get behind on of the countertop ones that get up to 800 or 900, because of ease use combined with deliciousness.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
This is rich coming from someone with way too many cooking apparatuses, but I agree. Unless I was hosting a party and wanted to crank out 10 to 20 pizzas, just seems like a shit ton of effort for a 2 minute cook. Now, I could get behind on of the countertop ones that get up to 800 or 900, because of ease use combined with deliciousness.
I'm confused by this logic. Why is quick cooking bad? I mean if you're cooking a brisket it's better, but if I could correctly cook a brisket in 12 minutes instead of 12 hours I sure as shit would.

I'm confused by this logic. Why is quick cooking bad? I mean if you're cooking a brisket it's better, but if I could correctly cook a brisket in 12 minutes instead of 12 hours I sure as shit would.
It’s not the quick cooking, it is building up the fire, getting the coals going, what have you. Maybe I am projecting the effort it takes to fire up the green egg versus a pellet grill. It could also be I’m about out of real estate on deck and patio for another contraption factoring in the Traeger, blackstone, gas Weber, 22 inch charcoal Weber, and green egg.

It’s not the quick cooking, it is building up the fire, getting the coals going, what have you. Maybe I am projecting the effort it takes to fire up the green egg versus a pellet grill. It could also be I’m about out of real estate on deck and patio for another contraption factoring in the Traeger, blackstone, gas Weber, 22 inch charcoal Weber, and green egg.
If your hobby is building a brick pizza oven in your backyard and using only wood to power it that's great. I support you in your hobby.
But it will still cook a pizza in a few minutes. Any oven that's running 800-900 degrees will cook a pizza quickly.

If your hobby is building a brick pizza oven in your backyard and using only wood to power it that's great. I support you in your hobby.
But it will still cook a pizza in a few minutes. Any oven that's running 800-900 degrees will cook a pizza quickly.
That’s my point

Why are you posting in French?
Haha Italiano my friend. Tipo 00. These days you can get it anywhere. The 00 indicates thr fineness of grinding but generally speaking it also has a high protein or gluten content. This allows for greater hydration, easier handling and a dough that puffs instantly under high temps. The characteristics you want in a Neapolitan pizza.

A Neapolitan pizza, like a Margherita pizza, should be done within 60 to 90 seconds. If that doesn't happen, you're doing something wrong. It's a thing and a fun rabbit hole.

My neighbor built one on his patio several years ago and he uses it maybe once or twice a year. It’s huge and was custom made, I’m guessing it probably cost him about a $1,000 for each pizza produced so it’s a really good deal.

Reactions: goldmom
Na. If I want pizza outside, I just fire up the weber charcoal, set a few fire bricks on the grates to elevate it a little and throw a pizza stone on top the bricks.

If I was actually home during the spring/summer/fall I would have a Woodfield pizza oven in my backyard. It would sit unused at this point in time.

I didn't want to pony up for an Ooni, and I don't really have room for it outside, so I bought the Kettlepizza insert for my Weber charcoal. It is awesome. Get your charcoal up to heat as normal, then throw some wood on it right before the pizza for high heat. I also bought some specific food-safe hardwood to go with it that flares up fast.
35b3b491f265d87fd023897d955fc27a.w800.h885._CR0%2C0%2C800%2C885_SX750_.jpg

As for dough, I found this stuff at the Prairie Kitchen Store in Iowa City. Really, really good, and pretty easy.
US_GrillingPackComp.png

I own a Kamado Joe. Better than any one use pizza oven.
counterpoint is that to get one of those (mine is a green egg) rip roaring hot, it is easy to burn up your gaskets, and does require quite a bit of lump charcoal and lead up time to crank out 1 or 2 pizzas. They are great for ribs and other stuff though.

counterpoint is that to get one of those (mine is a green egg) rip roaring hot, it is easy to burn up your gaskets, and does require quite a bit of lump charcoal and lead up time to crank out 1 or 2 pizzas. They are great for ribs and other stuff though.
Sorry to disagree. It takes 15 minutes to get it to 800 degrees. I have never burned up the gaskets. Besides they are 20 dollars to replace. I use have wood and half charcoal. To each their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT