ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have more details about the cop who merc'd the dog in the dirty D?

damn, I wish I didn’t watch that

Like many others have already stated, cop seemed way to quick on the draw. I would feel different if he was actually bitten or harmed in anyway. Charging and barking is a normal dog behavior.

Reactions: bdg8
damn, I wish I didn’t watch that

Like many others have already stated, cop seemed way to quick on the draw. I would feel different if he was actually bitten or harmed in anyway. Charging and barking is a normal dog behavior.
Perhaps I’m a soft suburbanite but to me, a dog charging someone isn’t normal, and if it is normal for a dog, I expect it to be controlled in an urban environment.

Was this indeed one of the 4 dogs running around? Or was this a dog that just popped out of the door when the owner opened it and then ran towards the police officer approaching? Either way, seems like he should have been prepared with taser or mace prior to exiting his vehicle. But, I also see with a dog charging and barking how it could have scared him to the point he pulled and shot it.

I've still framed this second by second, over and over again.

I think you have to give the cops latitude when dealing with aggressive dogs.

Too many examples of aggressive dogs ripping people's faces right off or mauling them to death.

Not everyone can fend off an attack like spaceman and torbee.
I'll +1 this. The outcome really sucks, but let's focus on the dog owners, not the cop here. The cop shouldn't have had to be in that situation. Of the cop tried something less violent and dog ends up attacking a kid some other day, ....

If the dog was biting him or attempting to, then the officer was justified as sad as the outcome was. A dog that size can do a lot of damage really quickly if he gets ahold of an arm or leg or worse.
If it was just barking aggressively and hadn't made an attempt to attack, the officer should be fired and the city is going to write a healthy check. Feel really bad for the kids regardless, that shits going to scar them for awhile.

Paywall, what were the details?
A Davenport police officer killed two dogs in separate incidents this summer, according to the dogs' owners.

Video footage posted online last week shows an officer shooting and killing a barking dog with two kids and a mom nearby. A petition circulating online and shared by the dog's owner calls for accountability for Davenport Police Officer Ethan Bock.

And a little more than a month before last week's incident, Bock struck and killed another resident's unleashed dog with his police vehicle while driving through an alley, according to the dog's owners and bodycam footage obtained by the Quad-City Times.

Asked to confirm if Bock was the same officer in the Aug. 21 incident, the Davenport Police Department didn't say.

"We are aware of the information circulating on social media and are sensitive to the concerns of our community. The Davenport Police Department is conducting a comprehensive review of the incident," the department wrote in an emailed statement. "At this time, it would be premature to speculate on the results of the internal review, but the department is committed to sharing more information to include additional video once the review has been completed."

A devastating call for a dog owner​

Lacindra Spears was out of town on the night of July 13, when she got a devastating call.
Her dog Muneca was hit and killed by a squad car driven by Bock in the alleyway behind her home.

For more than a week, Spears said the department gave her and her family differing stories about what happened. Spears said she was told her witnesses were "not credible."

Then, on July 30, the police department offered her $1,700 for her dog, Spears said in an interview that same day.
At the time, Spears said it was not enough to replace her dog or make up for the disrespect she feels she and her family faced.

The Davenport Police Department wrote in an Aug. 26 email: "This incident was resolved with the help of Ms. Spears."
Muneca could recognize when Spears had hemiplegic migraines, which cause paralyzing symptoms that mimic a stroke. Muneca would nudge her head up until someone, usually her brother, came to check on her, Spears said in a July 30 interview.
Because of the debilitating symptoms, which developed in recent years, Spears said she lost her ability to drive, lost her home, closed her business on Harrison Street and began staying there until she could figure out another living situation.

"I needed that dog," Spears said. "All the stuff I've been going through — I lost my business — she was what I had left."

On July 13, Spears' brother, C'edward Spears, was taking out the trash at about 10 p.m. to the alleyway behind the Harrison Street buildings where he and Lacindra live.

At the same time, another brother was taking Muneca out to do her business.

They all were in the alleyway when Davenport police vehicles drove through.

C'edward Spears said in a July 30 interview he tried to stop the police cars so Muneca could cross safely. The first one slowed and allowed the dog to cross before continuing. But the second officer did not heed his warning.

"He comes speeding down, so I stepped in front of the police car, I say, 'stop' so the dog can come out so he stops," C'edward Spears said. "The dog goes out into the field and a few seconds go by, and another police car, he comes up speeding as well, and by this time the dog has used the bathroom already and is on the way back. I step out again. I'm like, 'stop — the dog.' So he stops. He acknowledges me. Then he speeds up and he goes."

Bodycam footage shows aftermath​

Video requested by the Quad-City Times through a Freedom of Information Act request does not show the moment the police officer's vehicle struck the dog.

But the department did supply this past week three videos from different officers' body cameras just after the incident. A records department staffer said there was no dash camera footage because the vehicle's emergency red and blue lights were not on, which triggers the dash camera to record.

In one 17-minute body camera video from the officer that hit the dog, Bock, he can be seen getting out of the car and approaching the dog lying on the ground.

"God dammit," he said before speaking into his radio asking for a public service response to the alley.
Several witnesses stood in the alley, the video shows. One man stood with his hands clasped over his forehead. Another had his hands on his hips.

"Let me get on with a sergeant all right?" Bock said.

C'edward Spears can be seen walking over to Muneca with his hand over his mouth in shock.
"That's why you gotta' have your dog on a leash bro," Bock said.

Bock typed on his phone and could be heard saying: "Hey, I'm 10-2. Some frickin' dog just ran out here, and I smoked it."

A person off camera asked Bock to get his badge, a paper, and pen and make a report.
Bock repeated his situation into his phone or radio: "I hit a dog in the alley between Harrison and Ripley just south of 14th."

Someone off camera can be heard telling the officer, "You know better than to go in this alley."

Bock responded: "You gotta' have your dog restrained, man."

Another person asked Bock what the procedure is. Bock told him animal control will come pick up the dog.

"I'm very sorry," Bock said to the man, who was bent over Muneca.

After a few minutes, another officer approached. Bock exited his vehicle and the second officer asked Bock, "These guys acting up?"

Bock responded: "No, they're upset. I smoked their dog by accident."

Bock approached the bystanders and told them his sergeant would come talk to them. He said, "Animal control is not going to respond at night to get him, but they will respond tomorrow to pick him up unless you guys want to do anything different."

C'edward Spears told Bock the dog is his sister's.

"Well, I feel horrible," Bock said to him. "But I was enroute to something really important."

The Davenport Police Department did not respond to a question about why Bock was using the alleyway.

A sergeant arrived and Bock and another officer stood talking for a few minutes.

The sergeant told Bock: "You've gotta say that different on the radio."

"Say what different?" Bock asked.

"You said you smoked a dog," the sergeant said.

"Oh I did?" Bock asked.

"Yeah," the sergeant said.

The person off camera asked if animal control knew about the dog already. One of the policemen responded yes, and that they would probably come tomorrow.

But in the July 30 interview, Lacindra and C'edward Spears said when animal control officials came, they said they don't pick up deceased animals. They'd come to scan the dog for a chip or check for a tag to try to find the owners.

The Spears family paid $200 for Muneca to be cremated.

Lacindra Spears got a call that night at 2:30 a.m. from someone with the police department. She said he offered condolences, said she should be able to see a tape of what happened, and that someone would get back to her the following Monday.

But she said no one called. So she called the police department and was directed to a voicemail. Then, she said her calls to the police department started to go unanswered.

On July 23, she got a call back.

"I told him exactly what all five people told me," Lacindra Spears said. "Right off the bat, he goes, 'Well, that's not what happened. This is not gonna come out in your favor. Your witnesses are not credible. What happened was —' And then I tell you, he gave me a whole tuck and roll on how the dog got stuck, so I'm listening to the details of his version of what happened, and I said, so you've seen the tape? He said no. I said was you there? I said, how you know then?"

Lacindra Spears said the police frequently drive through the alley behind where she lives without lights or sirens on, and the person on the phone told her that they were on an eluding call and had initiated a chase. Then, she said she was told that the officers were only going 16 miles per hour.

The whole incident has been incredibly stressful, Lacindra Spears said. She wasn't eating. She slept on her couch because she used to sleep in her bedroom with Mun.

A Davenport police officer killed two dogs in separate incidents this summer, according to the dogs' owners.

Video footage posted online last week shows an officer shooting and killing a barking dog with two kids and a mom nearby. A petition circulating online and shared by the dog's owner calls for accountability for Davenport Police Officer Ethan Bock.

And a little more than a month before last week's incident, Bock struck and killed another resident's unleashed dog with his police vehicle while driving through an alley, according to the dog's owners and bodycam footage obtained by the Quad-City Times.

Asked to confirm if Bock was the same officer in the Aug. 21 incident, the Davenport Police Department didn't say.

"We are aware of the information circulating on social media and are sensitive to the concerns of our community. The Davenport Police Department is conducting a comprehensive review of the incident," the department wrote in an emailed statement. "At this time, it would be premature to speculate on the results of the internal review, but the department is committed to sharing more information to include additional video once the review has been completed."

A devastating call for a dog owner​

Lacindra Spears was out of town on the night of July 13, when she got a devastating call.
Her dog Muneca was hit and killed by a squad car driven by Bock in the alleyway behind her home.

For more than a week, Spears said the department gave her and her family differing stories about what happened. Spears said she was told her witnesses were "not credible."

Then, on July 30, the police department offered her $1,700 for her dog, Spears said in an interview that same day.
At the time, Spears said it was not enough to replace her dog or make up for the disrespect she feels she and her family faced.

The Davenport Police Department wrote in an Aug. 26 email: "This incident was resolved with the help of Ms. Spears."
Muneca could recognize when Spears had hemiplegic migraines, which cause paralyzing symptoms that mimic a stroke. Muneca would nudge her head up until someone, usually her brother, came to check on her, Spears said in a July 30 interview.
Because of the debilitating symptoms, which developed in recent years, Spears said she lost her ability to drive, lost her home, closed her business on Harrison Street and began staying there until she could figure out another living situation.

"I needed that dog," Spears said. "All the stuff I've been going through — I lost my business — she was what I had left."

On July 13, Spears' brother, C'edward Spears, was taking out the trash at about 10 p.m. to the alleyway behind the Harrison Street buildings where he and Lacindra live.

At the same time, another brother was taking Muneca out to do her business.

They all were in the alleyway when Davenport police vehicles drove through.

C'edward Spears said in a July 30 interview he tried to stop the police cars so Muneca could cross safely. The first one slowed and allowed the dog to cross before continuing. But the second officer did not heed his warning.

"He comes speeding down, so I stepped in front of the police car, I say, 'stop' so the dog can come out so he stops," C'edward Spears said. "The dog goes out into the field and a few seconds go by, and another police car, he comes up speeding as well, and by this time the dog has used the bathroom already and is on the way back. I step out again. I'm like, 'stop — the dog.' So he stops. He acknowledges me. Then he speeds up and he goes."

Bodycam footage shows aftermath​

Video requested by the Quad-City Times through a Freedom of Information Act request does not show the moment the police officer's vehicle struck the dog.

But the department did supply this past week three videos from different officers' body cameras just after the incident. A records department staffer said there was no dash camera footage because the vehicle's emergency red and blue lights were not on, which triggers the dash camera to record.

In one 17-minute body camera video from the officer that hit the dog, Bock, he can be seen getting out of the car and approaching the dog lying on the ground.

"God dammit," he said before speaking into his radio asking for a public service response to the alley.
Several witnesses stood in the alley, the video shows. One man stood with his hands clasped over his forehead. Another had his hands on his hips.

"Let me get on with a sergeant all right?" Bock said.

C'edward Spears can be seen walking over to Muneca with his hand over his mouth in shock.
"That's why you gotta' have your dog on a leash bro," Bock said.

Bock typed on his phone and could be heard saying: "Hey, I'm 10-2. Some frickin' dog just ran out here, and I smoked it."

A person off camera asked Bock to get his badge, a paper, and pen and make a report.
Bock repeated his situation into his phone or radio: "I hit a dog in the alley between Harrison and Ripley just south of 14th."

Someone off camera can be heard telling the officer, "You know better than to go in this alley."

Bock responded: "You gotta' have your dog restrained, man."

Another person asked Bock what the procedure is. Bock told him animal control will come pick up the dog.

"I'm very sorry," Bock said to the man, who was bent over Muneca.

After a few minutes, another officer approached. Bock exited his vehicle and the second officer asked Bock, "These guys acting up?"

Bock responded: "No, they're upset. I smoked their dog by accident."

Bock approached the bystanders and told them his sergeant would come talk to them. He said, "Animal control is not going to respond at night to get him, but they will respond tomorrow to pick him up unless you guys want to do anything different."

C'edward Spears told Bock the dog is his sister's.

"Well, I feel horrible," Bock said to him. "But I was enroute to something really important."

The Davenport Police Department did not respond to a question about why Bock was using the alleyway.

A sergeant arrived and Bock and another officer stood talking for a few minutes.

The sergeant told Bock: "You've gotta say that different on the radio."

"Say what different?" Bock asked.

"You said you smoked a dog," the sergeant said.

"Oh I did?" Bock asked.

"Yeah," the sergeant said.

The person off camera asked if animal control knew about the dog already. One of the policemen responded yes, and that they would probably come tomorrow.

But in the July 30 interview, Lacindra and C'edward Spears said when animal control officials came, they said they don't pick up deceased animals. They'd come to scan the dog for a chip or check for a tag to try to find the owners.

The Spears family paid $200 for Muneca to be cremated.

Lacindra Spears got a call that night at 2:30 a.m. from someone with the police department. She said he offered condolences, said she should be able to see a tape of what happened, and that someone would get back to her the following Monday.

But she said no one called. So she called the police department and was directed to a voicemail. Then, she said her calls to the police department started to go unanswered.

On July 23, she got a call back.

"I told him exactly what all five people told me," Lacindra Spears said. "Right off the bat, he goes, 'Well, that's not what happened. This is not gonna come out in your favor. Your witnesses are not credible. What happened was —' And then I tell you, he gave me a whole tuck and roll on how the dog got stuck, so I'm listening to the details of his version of what happened, and I said, so you've seen the tape? He said no. I said was you there? I said, how you know then?"

Lacindra Spears said the police frequently drive through the alley behind where she lives without lights or sirens on, and the person on the phone told her that they were on an eluding call and had initiated a chase. Then, she said she was told that the officers were only going 16 miles per hour.

The whole incident has been incredibly stressful, Lacindra Spears said. She wasn't eating. She slept on her couch because she used to sleep in her bedroom with Mun.
Dog should have been leashed for bathroom break or if you want it to run free have an enclosed area. Or trained not to cross roads, alleys, etc.
Dude is a dumbass and unprofessional though. I smoked a dog. You have to say that differently on the radio. But I did I smoked a dog. Part of being a LEO is good public relations. You can’t be cavalier with the attitude.

Dog should have been leashed for bathroom break or if you want it to run free have an enclosed area. Or trained not to cross roads, alleys, etc.
Dude is a dumbass and unprofessional though. I smoked a dog. You have to say that differently on the radio. But I did I smoked a dog. Part of being a LEO is good public relations. You can’t be cavalier with the attitude.
C'mon man. No one is leashing their dog to take it into the backyard to piss at 10 p.m.

Davenport cops zipping at 60 mph through residential alleys in the middle of the night with no lights on is an issue people in the poorer west end neighborhoods have complained about for years.

Everything that sucks about DPD is evident in this story. "Oh gee, sorry I "smoked" your family pet, BRO."

Last edited:
Give me a f----ing break. No one is leashing their dog to take it into the backyard to piss at 10 p.m.

Davenport cops zipping at 60 mph through residential alleys in the middle of the night with no lights on is an issue people in the poorer west end neighborhoods have complained about for years.

Everything that sucks about DPD is evident in this story. "Oh gee, sorry I "smoked" your family pet, BRO."
My backyard is fenced. I’m not taking the chance of the dog catching the scent of a squirrel, cat, rabbit, whatever.
If the cop was zipping through that quick I’d definitely have an issue. Agree on the smoked the dog. Freaking dumbass.

C'mon man. No one is leashing their dog to take it into the backyard to piss at 10 p.m.

You are void of any semblance of accountability. It seethes from you.

My backyard is fenced. I’m not taking the chance of the dog catching the scent of a squirrel, cat, rabbit, whatever.
If the cop was zipping through that quick I’d definitely have an issue. Agree on the smoked the dog. Freaking dumbass.
Good for you. Not everyone - and particularly people in the blue collar part of west Davenport - can afford that.

Here's the thing - by letter of the law, this dog-smoking cop will be in the clear - one he flattened while speeding through an alley with no lights in a "pursuit" and the other he blasted despite having mace and pepper spray and a nightstick because it was "aggressive" - so he likely will face zero real-world consequences. Whatever, it is what it is.

But both incidents are a real indictment on why many, particularly in the poorer parts of town, don't trust, don't like and won't help DPD. They are callous, cavalier and treat that part of the public like they are all second-class citizens or criminals. They'll speed through your back alleys with no lights on in the middle of the night at 65 mph, they'll go to their gun the nanosecond they feel "threatened". When called out on bullshit, they circle the wagons and say everyone in your neighborhood is an "unreliable witness." Their vest cameras for some reason "fail to start" recording at the most inopportune time, over and over again.

They are not part of the community - they are armed agents patrolling the underclass and they act like it.

Maybe. But I also see zero reason for his option #1 to be killing the damn thing.

Hell…jump up on the car to get away from it before your brain thinks “pull gun!”

There were young kids right there, FFS.
What happens when a neighbor kid gets his face ripped off by the same dog, when the same shitty owners forget to leash it again? Cops fault then too?

Reactions: bdg8
So is his.

crying-ricky-gervais.gif

Good for you. Not everyone - and particularly people in the blue collar part of west Davenport - can afford that.

Here's the thing - by letter of the law, this dog-smoking cop will be in the clear - one he flattened while speeding through an alley with no lights in a "pursuit" and the other he blasted despite having mace and pepper spray and a nightstick because it was "aggressive" - so he likely will face zero real-world consequences. Whatever, it is what it is.

But both incidents are a real indictment on why many, particularly in the poorer parts of town, don't trust, don't like and won't help DPD. They are callous, cavalier and treat that part of the public like they are all second-class citizens or criminals. They'll speed through your back alleys with no lights on in the middle of the night at 65 mph, they'll go to their gun the nanosecond they feel "threatened". When called out on bullshit, they circle the wagons and say everyone in your neighborhood is an "unreliable witness."

They are not part of the community - they are armed agents patrolling the underclass and they act like it.
They could learn from the DMPD. They really do a great job of public relations and I feel like they usually have the patience of Job with all of the shit they have to deal with. For that matter, the suburbs here could take pointers from the DMPD too.

Reactions: pablow and torbee

But both incidents are a real indictment on why many, particularly in the poorer parts of town, don't trust, don't like and won't help DPD. They are callous, cavalier and treat that part of the public like they are all second-class citizens or criminals. They'll speed through your back alleys with no lights on in the middle of the night at 65 mph, they'll go to their gun the nanosecond they feel "threatened". When called out on bullshit, they circle the wagons and say everyone in your neighborhood is an "unreliable witness." Their vest cameras for some reason "fail to start" recording at the most inopportune time, over and over again.

Yeah, the second one bothers me way more now. There’s a pattern here of this guy being reckless not only in his actions. But in his language, even after given time to contemplate word choices. His reaction after the event bothers me more than the hitting of the dog.
I wouldn’t trust him in a high stress situation.

Reactions: torbee
Of course it is. I live in a pretty bougie part of East Davenport. And the police who - rarely - come through McClellan Heights are never not polite, deferential and friendly.

Funny how that isn't the case in your old neighborhod, eh Whiskey? Maybe think about why that is . . .
Torbs, ive already said the guy should have atleast attempted a non lethal. And yes, I remember cars speeding down the ally behind my house.

I have a scar over my left eye where a dog bit me, the 90s were a different time, and frankly a time I wish we would go back to, we could use a little on "rub some dirt on it".

That being said, when your dog is aggressively going after a cop and youe response is "oh no" or whatever I quoted earlier. Not "sit" "heal" "come" ANY form of a command, there is an aspect of shitty dog ownership there.

Maybe. But I also see zero reason for his option #1 to be killing the damn thing.

Hell…jump up on the car to get away from it before your brain thinks “pull gun!”

There were young kids right there, FFS.
He pulled the gun quickly and shot in the general direction of the young kids ... That was a far too dangerous move in what was a panic situation.

It is unbelievable to me that he was not trained to never take a chance like that one. Guns go off kind of on their own sometimes, the dog knocks your gun hand, you lose your balance, you are just a lousy shot when in an uncontrolled situation, or any of a myriad of other unforeseen causes. I highly doubt that he had any "Timothy Olyphant style quick-draw training," or that he had ever practiced that particular move.

Personally, I think the cop was an idiot/jerk and thought he was the King of the World.

He should be fired.

Last edited:
Yeah, the second one bothers me way more now. There’s a pattern here of this guy being reckless not only in his actions. But in his language, even after given time to contemplate word choices. His reaction after the event bothers me more than the hitting of the dog.
I wouldn’t trust him in a high stress situation.
He comes across as an entitled DB who isn't particularly concerned about the consequences of his actions, particularly as it relates to those he considers beneath him.

Reactions: tumorboy
Torbs, ive already said the guy should have atleast attempted a non lethal. And yes, I remember cars speeding down the ally behind my house.

I have a scar over my left eye where a dog bit me, the 90s were a different time, and frankly a time I wish we would go back to, we could use a little on "rub some dirt on it".

That being said, when your dog is aggressively going after a cop and youe response is "oh no" or whatever I quoted earlier. Not "sit" "heal" "come" ANY form of a command, there is an aspect of shitty dog ownership there.
I am in no way disputing that the owners of the dog that was shot bear a large percentage of the blame. It's obvious they do.

But the guy letting his sister's dog out to pee at 10 p.m. only to have it run down by a cop that clearly didn't even really give a shit that he did it?

THAT is why many in Davenport - particularly in lower income areas - dislike and have zero respect for DPD officers. Can't say I blame them, given this type of shit.

More people talking about this than the 19 year old that was shot and killed downtown a few days ago about 3 blocks away from where I live 🤷‍♀️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT