ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have more details about the cop who merc'd the dog in the dirty D?

It wasn’t that aggressive. Figured it came in stronger in a more dominant position. The dog was more of who the heck are you and get off our property.
Annoying yes. But not particularly threatening.
You obviously aren't familiar with a Labrador's reputation for ripping people's faces off.

It was 3 seconds total from the time the woman let the dog out until it was on him. He initially tried to let the dog sniff his hand before it regrouped and went after him in earnest. Mace may have been harder to find than his gun. The jacked up coal burning pick up in the driveway would lead one to think a MAGA lives here and now everything is A-OK...

I'm guessing than if someone tracks down the owner's history it will be enlightening...

Growing up in a small town of 600, we used to ride bikes from home, to downtown, to the ball park, to school and to the river and back. 3-4 of us boys ..... and our dogs, more often than not, loose, following along. No one seemed to object until the 3 dogs cornered a cat on the front porch of the Convent. They tore the cat apart as the nuns shrieked in horror. Not good. Eventually on a trip to the river my dog, a Lab/Dalmatian mix chased a rabbit out of the ditch, across the road where a lumber truck ran over and killed him. The driver felt bad, threw my bike and the dog into the back of the truck and we drove to the dump and buried the dog. He then drove me home and I told the story to my dad when he got home. " I figured that would happen sooner or later, " he said. Parenting in the 60's. We never owned another dog...

It was 3 seconds total from the time the woman let the dog out until it was on him. He initially tried to let the dog sniff his hand before it regrouped and went after him in earnest. Mace may have been harder to find than his gun. The jacked up coal burning pick up in the driveway would lead one to think a MAGA lives here and now everything is A-OK...

I'm guessing than if someone tracks down the owner's history it will be enlightening...

Growing up in a small town of 600, we used to ride bikes from home, to downtown, to the ball park, to school and to the river and back. 3-4 of us boys ..... and our dogs, more often than not, loose, following along. No one seemed to object until the 3 dogs cornered a cat on the front porch of the Convent. They tore the cat apart as the nuns shrieked in horror. Not good. Eventually on a trip to the river my dog, a Lab/Dalmatian mix chased a rabbit out of the ditch, across the road where a lumber truck ran over and killed him. The driver felt bad, threw my bike and the dog into the back of the truck and we drove to the dump and buried the dog. He then drove me home and I told the story to my dad when he got home. " I figured that would happen sooner or later, " he said. Parenting in the 60's. We never owned another dog...

That’s a good boy. Good boy.

I’ll do a ride of silence for Princey this afternoon. He take the hit North or South of the bridge / creek?
He'd like that. West of the river and east of Hills. You can't miss it...
iowa-hills-access_d111be66-52b9-4afe-8b13-acdf6d1fdeca.jpg

Hey the Hills quarter million dollar bird sanctuary is officially open. See your tax dollars at work...

He'd like that. West of the river and east of Hills. You can't miss it...
iowa-hills-access_d111be66-52b9-4afe-8b13-acdf6d1fdeca.jpg

Hey the Hills quarter million dollar bird sanctuary is officially open. See your tax dollars at work...

Oh, on 520th - I thought you meant Sand Rd. That’s a nice place for a roadie. Stop there often to put down 12oz and maybe see some bikinis come out of the water with their kayak.

R.I.P. in pieces Princey. I’ll pay my respects today.

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
There used to be 2 box girder Parker bridges on 520th, one just east side of Hills and the other on the oxbow to the east. Where the river is now was carved by the flood of '68 and they decided to build one new bridge instead of replacing two 100 year old spans. The Hills access was a big sandbar where the river turned back on itself to the north, the old swimming hole as it were. There were at least two drownings there back in the 60's. It was a daily trip for the Schwinn Typhoon...

I have no issues with shooting the dog in this situation. HOWEVER, the cop should be fired. There were 3 people including 2 children in the line of fire. This video 11 seconds in.

There is absolutely nothing normal about a dog charging and barking at you, and a cop shouldn't have to wait to be bitten or harmed to react.

People, keep your pets on out of public if they can't behave, they aren't family members. And if you can't, this is the result. Maybe more actions like the cops will keep people from letting their dumb ass dogs run about.
You're spot on. The dog was aggressive and sound as though he was called to be there. I have no doubts the family will have another aggressive dog in a matter of weeks.

As I said earlier in the thread, a police officer being bitten is worse than a dog being shot. There is a chance this dog would have been taken by animal control and put down anyway. In that case, it isn't in front of the children though.

You're spot on. The dog was aggressive and sound as though he was called to be there. I have no doubts the family will have another aggressive dog in a matter of weeks.

As I said earlier in the thread, a police officer being bitten is worse than a dog being shot. There is a chance this dog would have been taken by animal control and put down anyway. In that case, it isn't in front of the children though.
Which is worse a police officer being bitten or risking that shot near 3 people? That’s where I’m having an issue.
The dog being shot doesn’t bother me as much as how the final bullet went down. Lots of risk there. Too much risk actually.

Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy
Which is worse a police officer being bitten or risking that shot near 3 people? That’s where I’m having an issue.
The dog being shot doesn’t bother me as much as how the final bullet went down. Lots of risk there. Too much risk actually.
That is a fair argument, I didn't look at the angle of the shot with any detail. I assume it was nearly straight down, but could be way off. I don't think that has been the point from most posters though.

That is a fair argument, I didn't look at the angle of the shot with any detail. I assume it was nearly straight down, but could be way off. I don't think that has been the point from most posters though.
The dog would appear to be 3 to 5 feet away. Bullets bounce. Nerves creat misses. A 10 inch arm movement either and the bullet hits a kid or the woman.

Last edited:
Reactions: tumorboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT