ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone remember Mr Quick Hamburgers?

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Had one in Clinton. I could get 3 burgers, fries and shake for $3.00 (might have been $2 cuz the burgers were 25 cents) back in 1984. I think there was another one in Iowa Falls but could be wrong.

My Dad was friends with the owner....think it went tits up in the early 90's.

"Famous Recipe" Chicken is another one...far superior to KFC. Went tits up as well...

Why did the high quality fast food joints fall by the wayside? :(

Had one in Clinton. I could get 3 burgers, fries and shake for $3.00 (might have been $2 cuz the burgers were 25 cents) back in 1984. I think there was another one in Iowa Falls but could be wrong.

My Dad was friends with the owner....think it went tits up in the early 90's.

"Famous Recipe" Chicken is another one...far superior to KFC. Went tits up as well...

Why did the high quality fast food joints fall by the wayside? :(
Where I grew up in Wisconsin we had a burger chef and unlimited chicken. Not sure if those were regional chains but I’ve not heard of them since we moved away when I was 15, 35 years ago.*

*edited to add:

looks like burger chef mostly turned into Hardee’s. Not sure what became of chicken unlimited (looks like corporate mismanagement and bankruptcy), but as of 2009, the one I remember was still there!

Last edited:
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Double holy crap....seems there are 6 left. One is in Orlando, definitely will hit it next time I'm there.

On further review there are only 5 left...all in Michigan. The Orlando one is an imposter :(

Reactions: Tenacious E
Double holy crap....seems there are 6 left. One is in Orlando, definitely will hit it next time I'm there.

On further review there are only 5 left...all in Michigan. The Orlando one is an imposter :(
Just Googled it out of curiosity. It's in Pine (Crime) Hills. Gets great reviews, but looks more like a diner. You sure it's the same thing?

Unfortunately I don't remember them. I like the prices. Might have to question the proximity of the restaurant and horse/dog tracks.

Holy crap. Mr Quick is still around. Might have to go to Michigan and make a pilgrimage.

Reminds me of Barnaby’s Pizza. Midwest Chain started in the Chicagoland area in the late 60s and ended up with about 30, including somehow 2 in Tallahassee of all places. The chain went away slowly during the 80s and 90s but somehow Tallahassee still had one in operation along with one in South Bend and one in Chicago area.

The one in Tallahassee finally closed doors in 2021 and it was sad. They blamed Covid but truth was it was clearly under new management and ownership and the quality and experience had really declined beginning in 2019ish.

Very unique place and most old school Tallahassee folks knew it was the best Pizza in town. Had not changed the interior since it was built in the early 70s.

A coworker of mine in fall of 2022 was running a jobsite in South Bend and discovered it driving around town (he had no idea it was a chain). He was super thrilled and ended up eating there like half of his dinners while on expense account😂

https://barnabys-pizza.com/history/#:~:text=The%20success%20of%20Barnaby's%20began,Barnaby's%20Pizza%20a%20family%20favorite.

You'd be surprised how many remnants are left of old chains like that. Once the corporation dissolves any remaining franchisees are just left behind and can do as they please. Its interesting how many keep doing business as usual and survive on their own, or in some cases change the menu entirely but still look the same as their glory days. I went to one of the last remaining Ponderosa's in the Wisconsin Dells. It was a last minute call for something fast and their sign said it was a buffet. When we walked in there was another sign encouraging you to examine the buffet items before psying. We did exactly that and left, lol.

Yep, Mr. Quick started in Moline, IL in mid 60s … also where they had their national headquarters right off John Deere Road.

no but we had a Burger Express in Dubuque. Same type of joint. You could get 2 burgers and 2 fries for 2 bucks.

We would sometimes go there after Sat night mass.

We had 2 in Fort Dodge when I was young. One of the buildings is still standing with original sign but is called Ja- Mars! Best Chicken in town and Sandwiches are cooked to order!

Wasn't there an Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips in Davenport back in the day?

I seem to recall one?

Arthur-Treachers-Fish-and-Chips-fast-food-restaurants-1969.jpg

Reminds me of Barnaby’s Pizza. Midwest Chain started in the Chicagoland area in the late 60s and ended up with about 30, including somehow 2 in Tallahassee of all places. The chain went away slowly during the 80s and 90s but somehow Tallahassee still had one in operation along with one in South Bend and one in Chicago area.

The one in Tallahassee finally closed doors in 2021 and it was sad. They blamed Covid but truth was it was clearly under new management and ownership and the quality and experience had really declined beginning in 2019ish.

Very unique place and most old school Tallahassee folks knew it was the best Pizza in town. Had not changed the interior since it was built in the early 70s.

A coworker of mine in fall of 2022 was running a jobsite in South Bend and discovered it driving around town (he had no idea it was a chain). He was super thrilled and ended up eating there like half of his dinners while on expense account😂

https://barnabys-pizza.com/history/#:~:text=The%20success%20of%20Barnaby's%20began,Barnaby's%20Pizza%20a%20family%20favorite.
My older brother worked there while at FSU. Pitchers of beer and good pizza. Plenty of chicks there as well.

Reactions: noleclone2
Ottumwa had one. Back in 1993-95 this was 5 burgers and a half pound of grease for under $5. Split this with a buddy many times through college. Grease soaking through 2 bags!

Reactions: warriors dad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT