ADVERTISEMENT

Apple acquiring streaming rights

I think all you Apple bashers are right. They are never going to make any money selling that crap. LOL.

Geez, it's only one of the greatest stories in the history of American business and they sell inferior products, rrriiiggghhhttt.
LOL. Ask a software developer what they think of Apple and 9 out of 10 will agree with me. Apple IS a monopoly. No open platforms, and you are paying twicw as much for anything through them. But enjoy it!

What stuff is great? Everything is incredibly overpriced, designed obsolescence, product name over quality, inferior components and hardware, poor compatibility. God forbid something breaks... I could go on and on. I'm not missing a damn thing.
How’s your
LOL. Ask a software developer what they think of Apple and 9 out of 10 will agree with me. Apple IS a monopoly. No open platforms, and you are paying twicw as much for anything through them. But enjoy it!
How’s your Blackberry working out. We the public are so stupid and software developers know it all.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
I'm tempted to look into cable again. Streaming services keep fracturing content to the point of making cable look attractive. Or they need to go full break up and let viewers pick and choose channels. And let the junk channels die already.

I think all you Apple bashers are right. They are never going to make any money selling that crap. LOL.

Geez, it's only one of the greatest stories in the history of American business and they sell inferior products, rrriiiggghhhttt.
You probably have Bose speakers for your home stereo lmao

Ask any creative who is a high level computer user whether they prefer Apple or Windows. Many want the tech of computers to be in the background so they can concentrate on what’s important to them, not the inter-workings of code. Apple does that very well. Also the craftsmanship of most of their products is second to none.

Ask any creative who is a high level computer user whether they prefer Apple or Windows. Many want the tech of computers to be in the background so they can concentrate on what’s important to them, not the inter-workings of code. Apple does that very well. Also the craftsmanship of most of their products is second to none.
The average idiot posting on a sports message board isn't a high level computer user as evidenced by the many broken links, red X's for pictures, and inability to quote reply to a post. They just don't want to have to pay yet another company to watch sports. Myself included.

Apple has always catered to "creatives". Yep, they want something that dumbd it down for them. People who know a lot about computers don't typically buy apple.

So we expand to both coasts for more tv sets then make a deal to lose viewers? Makes sense LMAO.
Apple would be the one paying the Big Ten. Whether you want to watch Illinois battle Indiana on a stream is up to you. They won’t have the big time games or at best one per season.

And it’s gonna fund my retirement. I hope they keep making “stupid moves”.

Most "creatives", as you call them, either pay a boatload to keep getting what they want on Apple or the learn how to use other non-dumbed-down computers and enter the real world. I worked with a person who carried her IPad around like a trophy but she did ALL of her work on a PC and laptop. The Apple product is nothing more than a nice watch. It does what it was intended to but if you need some flexibility that isn't there, you are SOL.

Reactions: Ree4
Ted Lasso, Trying, Loot, Physical, and Severance are series we’ve watched - all excellent… Severance was weird, and maybe a notch below.
I've watched a few of them too, Ted Lasso was awesome. Dont need to pay apple to watch it.

Reactions: BBHawk
What stuff is great? Everything is incredibly overpriced, designed obsolescence, product name over quality, inferior components and hardware, poor compatibility. God forbid something breaks... I could go on and on. I'm not missing a damn thing.
I don't know if I appreciate your criticisms.

Pretty much any microprocessor/microcontroller-based technology has an inherent built-in obsolescence. That's simply because the technology can evolve so quickly.

While some folks might favor modular design over integrated design - but Apple has traditionally put their eggs in the integrated-design basket in order for their software to be optimized to their hardware. That HAS led to measurable performance enhancements.

Since I'm of the physics-nerd clan, I'm admittedly more of a linux-dude. Furthermore, from early on ... I was pretty rabidly anti-Microsoft. I've subsequently chilled a little bit in that regard - largely because I really like what they've done with VSCode. It reminds me of a somewhat more flexible version of emacs.

Given the LLVM project - I don't quite see what you're saying about compatibility. This is leading to an explosion of new languages (usable on essentially any platform) that generates LLVM-based bytecode ... then that translated by the virtual machine to the native machine code for the given computer.

If you look at the transition from intel-chips to apple-silicon ... the M1 and subsequent generations of chips offer a much more elegantly designed microarchitecture. Rather than just putting a bunch of identical and generic cores on the same chip - they AGAIN embraced their philosophy of integrated design and put forth more of a system-on-a-chip design. There certainly are some caveats to the Apple silicon - but by almost all benchmark standards it performs quite well.

Anyhow, I'm largely agnostic as it relates to this debate. I believe that all the computing giants are pretty-terrible monopolies. In the CS community ... a lot of folks like to tout the quality of developers that Google sports. However, they're really no different than any of their competitors ... they too now are a bloated cow, trying to grow fat on the riches of our personal data.

I don't think that I ever understand why anybody seems to hold such religious fervor for any of these tech giants ... particularly as it relates to the leaders. I'm willing to tip my cap to the likes of Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, etc for some of their accomplishments ... but, at the end of the day, they're still just people (albeit, ridiculously rich people). They don't deserve my respect any more than any of you folks do.

Reactions: HFan1981 and BBHawk
Anyone going to any sporting event experiences the same. $4 waters. Convenience stores and how they price stuff. The world is overpriced. Designed obsolescence is everywhere, in cars and lights, and on and on.

I don't know if I appreciate your criticisms.

Pretty much any microprocessor/microcontroller-based technology has an inherent built-in obsolescence. That's simply because the technology can evolve so quickly.

While some folks might favor modular design over integrated design - but Apple has traditionally put their eggs in the integrated-design basket in order for their software to be optimized to their hardware. That HAS led to measurable performance enhancements.

Since I'm of the physics-nerd clan, I'm admittedly more of a linux-dude. Furthermore, from early on ... I was pretty rabidly anti-Microsoft. I've subsequently chilled a little bit in that regard - largely because I really like what they've done with VSCode. It reminds me of a somewhat more flexible version of emacs.

Given the LLVM project - I don't quite see what you're saying about compatibility. This is leading to an explosion of new languages (usable on essentially any platform) that generates LLVM-based bytecode ... then that translated by the virtual machine to the native machine code for the given computer.

If you look at the transition from intel-chips to apple-silicon ... the M1 and subsequent generations of chips offer a much more elegantly designed microarchitecture. Rather than just putting a bunch of identical and generic cores on the same chip - they AGAIN embraced their philosophy of integrated design and put forth more of a system-on-a-chip design. There certainly are some caveats to the Apple silicon - but by almost all benchmark standards it performs quite well.

Anyhow, I'm largely agnostic as it relates to this debate. I believe that all the computing giants are pretty-terrible monopolies. In the CS community ... a lot of folks like to tout the quality of developers that Google sports. However, they're really no different than any of their competitors ... they too now are a bloated cow, trying to grow fat on the riches of our personal data.

I don't think that I ever understand why anybody seems to hold such religious fervor for any of these tech giants ... particularly as it relates to the leaders. I'm willing to tip my cap to the likes of Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, etc for some of their accomplishments ... but, at the end of the day, they're still just people (albeit, ridiculously rich people). They don't deserve my respect any more than any of you folks do.
I was more referring to link below, not the progression of more powerful hardware:
and
I agree that they're all terrible, monopolistic companies and it's likely more the "in your face" fanboys of apple that annoy the hell out of me. I don't like their business model that purposefully changes ports seemingly every year that forces people to buy new chargers, etc. adding to electronic waste. Their app store monopoly and how they exploit creators is crazy as well. I prefer PCs myself, appreciate the flexibility of Linux for my home server.
I'm not a big fan of Microsoft either, but they arent on trial here with streaming rights to my alma-mater and favorite football team.

Last edited:
You guys need to learn what a monopoly is. Apple isn't the only company selling computers or phones.

Reactions: JD720
You guys need to learn what a monopoly is. Apple isn't the only company selling computers or phones.
Apple requires software and hardware "creators" to get special licensing to create products for Apple devices. PCs based on Windows are open platform - Microsoft gives developers their programming interface specifications and LOTS of training, tools, etc., for FREE. That's why you see a hell of a lot more hardware and software AND competition (and thus lower prices) with Windows-based products.

Reactions: Ree4
Apple has a closed platform, Windows is an open platform. Neither are a monopoly.

The closed platform has made Apple the most valuable company on Earth.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
You all freebies didn't think we were gonna get through all of these negotiations and not have something on some platform you didn't already have did you?

I was more referring to link below, not the progression of more powerful hardware:
and
I agree that they're all terrible, monopolistic companies and it's likely more the "in your face" fanboys of apple that annoy the hell out of me. I don't like their business model that purposefully changes ports seemingly every year that forces people to buy new chargers, etc. adding to electronic waste. Their app store monopoly and how they exploit creators is crazy as well. I prefer PCs myself, appreciate the flexibility of Linux for my home server.
I'm not a big fan of Microsoft either, but they arent on trial here with streaming rights to my alma-mater and favorite football team.
Every time they have changed the charger, it has allowed for quicker charging and they have greatly improved the batteries so they don't burn out in 4 hours. Assume its headed to wireless charging like the watches.

Folks better get ready for more of this type of platform. Gonna be a lot more of it in the near future.
Wait til the self driving electric vehicles make up the majority of vehicles on the road. So much change! Like going from horseys to the iron horse.

Every time they have changed the charger, it has allowed for quicker charging and they have greatly improved the batteries so they don't burn out in 4 hours. Assume its headed to wireless charging like the watches.
The USB-C (3.0) is waaay faster than the lightning charger (2.0) that apple uses.. Yet another thing where they're behind. Glad the EU voted to force them to catch up and help reduce electronic waste.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT