ADVERTISEMENT

Are you better off than you were pre-pandemic?

Are you better off than you were pre-pandemic?

• Total voters
I was in a pretty good place pre-pandemic, kept my job and paycheck, and now things have continued pretty much on the same course. Inflation has stung a little bit, but I'll get over it and it looks like we are 2 or 3 years away from extremely viable electric vehicles. Getting rid of a car gas bill will more than make up for whatever inflation has cost me, particularly because aside from food, gas is the thing "inflation" has hit the hardest.

How does outstanding credit card debt compare/correlate to this data? Believe I've seen a number of reports of unprecedented debt levels with credit cards since the pandemic hit too.

Would 10% more in cash actually be a net positive given inflation btw?

How does outstanding credit card debt compare/correlate to this data? Believe I've seen a number of reports of unprecedented debt levels with credit cards since the pandemic hit too.

This is a good question.

Yes definitely. While not ignoring all the deaths, emotional trauma and stunted learning among the youth, there were some good things that came out of covid.... primarily work from home for white collar America.

That was/is huge.

I assume the question just is for financial considerations. So yes.

You’re right, they are only talking about financials here. I asked the same question on the main board (the differences between the two boards are great and it gives you move of a view from just Iowa and some of our FSU folks). One guy mentioned his children struggling in school and they haven’t fully made a recovery yet

Reactions: Pinehawk
You’re right, they are only talking about financials here. I asked the same question on the main board (the differences between the two boards are great and it gives you move of a view from just Iowa and some of our FSU folks). One guy mentioned his children struggling in school and they haven’t fully made a recovery yet

Well I am happy just to wake up.

I'm much better off now, but that has little to do with the pandemic. I was fortunate in that it had very little negative impact on my life. Also, pre pandemic I was just getting my newest business venture off the ground and the fruits of that labor are beginning to pay off in a big way now.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Yes. However, I’m in healthcare staffing. Staffing agencies had record profits on 2021 and 2022. This year however is a different story. Down 30% YOY. A lot of people made some serious bank off the backs of hospitals, insurance companies and the govt. which is all paid for by the US tax payers, insurance premiums and rising healthcare costs.

S&P 500 is up about 35% since Feb 2020. If you're not better off financially, that's on you.
M2 is more than 35% higher than it was pre-pandemic. This is due to R's and D's. I am not attacking Biden. Objectively speaking everything needs to be put into the context of M2

Last edited:
Of course. If you're not saving and improving over 3 or 4 years and more, then you are not making good choices.

Reactions: lucas80
M2 is more than 35% higher than it was pre-pandemic. This is due to R's and D's. I am not attacking Biden. Objectively speaking everything needs to be put into the context of M2

Why does the total money supply even matter to an individual and their financial situation? I was actually wrong to just mention the S&P returns. There are some people that lost businesses to the pandemic and they would be worse off.

I said minimal change but that’s in conjunction with where we thought we would be 3 years ago. We would be in the exact same position financially.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Why does the total money supply even matter to an individual and their financial situation? I was actually wrong to just mention the S&P returns. There are some people that lost businesses to the pandemic and they would be worse off.
If comparing our individual financial circumstances pre-pandemic to now, then net worth should have increased by an equivalent amount (all other things being equal). Obviously, not all others were equal. Thus, is is just a baseline for comparison purposes. At least that is the way I see

Some of us are watching M2 very closely as a data point for a recession being more or less likely.

Yes. I made more money during the pandemic. I got a lot of company perks and gifts too. Apparently, I was on the front lines of it all. 😂

All the dead people are unable to vote ‘no’, which skews the poll.

If you owned property before the pandemic, life is going well for you even if you still have a mortgage on it. If you didn't and want to own property, you've been getting bent over for a few years now. Life probably hasn't been too easy for the fixed income crowd

Reactions: littlez

Which one is M2 again? Is that where we number them based on our ranking or the other whacky method that makes no sense?

If it’s just financial, yes I have a lot more of it and making a lot more of it.

Last edited:

Credit card debt since the pandemic makes sense though. Everyone was getting free money and doing nothing. Now the money from the government stopped and things in the last 1.5 years cost a lot. Americans were Americans and charged up their credit cards.

I am in about the same shape financially as I was pre-pandemic.

But, my father died of Covid, and I was hardly able to even see him in the last 6 months of his life due to nursing home quarantines. My grandson spent most his first 2 years of life at home - away from other children due to safety concerns.

Remote schooling has had to had an impact on childhood social and intellectual development. And, I'm not convinced that "work from home" is a great thing long term.

It also served to further divide this country.

I voted no.

• Sad
Reactions: Ree4 and Pinehawk
To your point, our 2.75% interest rate secured by the mortgage is nice to have…
Yep. I will say we have no plans to buy anything new at any point in the near future with rates being so much higher now….but money wasn’t going to be nearly “free” to use forever.

We timed it very well with our last move.

Reactions: Tenacious E
To answer the original question, I'm better off now than I was pre-pandemic. I make more, my 401k and savings are bigger, I get to work remotely now, and I can now hire people from anywhere in the country vs being restricted to the local area. Prices are higher for groceries but I don't need to drive to work every day so I save on gas and car maintenance.

Reactions: torbee
Hell yeah. I got all that Covid money doctors were getting by putting Covid on death certificates when they only died "with" Covid. So much I swim in it like Scrooge McDuck.

/Sarcasm. And the fact anyone believed it further shows how stupid this country is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT