ADVERTISEMENT

Are You Really Middle Class?

Nope, I post on HROT so I didn't expect I to be either. From the link:

Middle class in

Johnson County, Iowa is

$41,443-$68,033

Apparently they are using the "middle fifth"... I think at least middle third would be more appropriate.

I don't see how you could be middle class anywhere anymore without being well over a 6 figure income? Seems wrong to me. 45K in Polk county?

I would consider middle class having a nice place (rent or own), 1-2 cars, things, savings, and be able to do the things you want. In Polk County, I'm not sure how you do that with under $4000 net per month, and 45K is probably going to net out around $3000 per month, at best.

Even at their high end for Polk in the 72K range, I just don't see it being middle class.

We must be bad with our money if people in that range are living a 'middle class' life. Our I don't appreciate what I have....

They are providing you with actual figures as to what people in the middle actually earn. If it's not enough to achieve your definition of middle class, what does that tell you?

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

Middle class in

Johnson County, Iowa is

$41,443-$68,033
Middle class in
Dakota County, Minnesota is

$59,628-$88,310

I find that interesting, because the style of life here seems pretty similar to the Iowa City area to me.

Originally posted by linkshero:
I don't see how you could be middle class anywhere anymore without being well over a 6 figure income? Seems wrong to me. 45K in Polk county?

I would consider middle class having a nice place (rent or own), 1-2 cars, things, savings, and be able to do the things you want. In Polk County, I'm not sure how you do that with under $4000 net per month, and 45K is probably going to net out around $3000 per month, at best.

Even at their high end for Polk in the 72K range, I just don't see it being middle class.

We must be bad with our money if people in that range are living a 'middle class' life. Our I don't appreciate what I have....
So do you think more than 80 percent of Americans are lower class?

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, only 6.03 percent of individuals over 18 and only 19.9 percent of households had incomes of $100,000.

Middle class in Cerro Gordo is 34k-54k. Thats not really surprising.

I am not Middle Class, but what are the parameters
for Upper Middle Class? It seems that would be
a logical category for most of HROT. $250,000
per year would start the Upper Class.

Originally posted by Derekd3408:
According to this site I'm new money upper class by a hair. Hooray for me.
That's a pretty good site - much more detailed than most.

Me and Mrs. Torbee just squeaked into the upper class in the last two years or so as well, it appears.

Bully for us!

Gilligan-s-Island-Mr-and-Mrs-Howell-classic-television-revisited-3727148-496-372.jpg

This post was edited on 3/27 2:55 PM by torbee

Middle class in

Johnson County, Iowa is

$41,443-$68,033
I just clicked on Benton County for giggles and it's figures were higher than Johnson Co. Seems odd

Speaking of classes and income ranges at what income would you guys recommend before buying a new E class?

Originally posted by Wahawk56:
Speaking of classes and income ranges at what income would you guys recommend before buying a new E class?
If you can't afford at least an S-class, why bother?

Originally posted by bdg8:

Middle class in

Johnson County, Iowa is

$41,443-$68,033
I just clicked on Benton County for giggles and it's figures were higher than Johnson Co. Seems odd
Benton County probably has more rich farmers and fewer people walking around all day with their pants hanging off of their asses. That will skew it.

That article was from 2012, you are now considered poor

This raises a question I've confronted numerous times since retiring. When I am asked what my income range is, what do I answer? Just Social Security and pensions? Or do I count unscheduled IRA withdrawals? It makes a difference.

As to this issue specifically, I think they mean middle-income, not middle-class. The two are not the same thing.

Originally posted by dandh:

They are providing you with actual figures as to what people in the middle actually earn. If it's not enough to achieve your definition of middle class, what does that tell you?
OK, I didn't mean to offend, but....

Is there a difference between middle class lifestyle, and middle class?

I get that there is a number range that the government, or whoever, can group people into based on income. But just because you are in that group based on numbers, does that really mean you are living that 'lifestyle'? I can see were a family of three, with outstanding fiscal habits and top tier credit could possibly do it, but maybe my understanding of middle class is skewed.

Never mind, I looked at the link DerekD posted, and that seams much more reasonable.

This post was edited on 3/27 4:20 PM by linkshero

Originally posted by linkshero:

OK, I didn't mean to offend, but....

Is there a difference between middle class lifestyle, and middle class?

I get that there is a number range that the government, or whoever, can group people into based on income. But just because you are in that group based on numbers, does that really mean you are living that 'lifestyle'? I can see were a family of three, with outstanding fiscal habits and top tier credit could possibly do it, but maybe my understanding of middle class is skewed.

Never mind, I looked at the link DerekD posted, and that seams much more reasonable.

This post was edited on 3/27 4:20 PM by linkshero
Yes, that is my point. Middle class is a social definition, not a financial one.

By the way, 40% of people below the poverty line told pollsters they were middle class, as did 31% of people who earn more than $150K.

It's a state of mind. Everybody wants to be middle class.

Originally posted by iCRUNCH:
That article was from 2012, you are now considered poor
Awww...it was fun while it lasted. Back,to,the basement of society I go.

Good gawd swag, this place would be a desert without you livening things up. I bet you were the class clown in grade school.

And Wendy is as always Wendyriffic...

Originally posted by bagdropper:

Good gawd swag, this place would be a desert without you livening things up. I bet you were the class clown in grade school.

I was a class clown, but surprisingly did well in school.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Middle class in

Johnson County, Iowa is

$41,443-$68,033
This statistic has always confused me. I'm married and live in Tiffin, IA with a household income of $115,000 yet judging by the cost of others' home and the cars they drive about 75% of people look to be doing better than my family.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Nope, I post on HROT so I didn't expect I to be either.  From the link:

Middle class in

Johnson County, Iowa is

$41,443-$68,033 This statistic has always confused me.  I'm married and live in Tiffin, IA with a household income of $115,000 yet judging by the cost of others' home and the cars they drive about 75% of people look to be doing better than my family.

Let me give you a hint: they may be up to their eyeballs in debt.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:
Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Nope, I post on HROT so I didn't expect I to be either. From the link:

Middle class in

Johnson County, Iowa is

$41,443-$68,033 This statistic has always confused me. Â I'm married and live in Tiffin, IA with a household income of $115,000 yet judging by the cost of others' home and the cars they drive about 75% of people look to be doing better than my family.

Let me give you a hint: they may be up to their eyeballs in debt.
or maybe they are better money manager's than you???
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Wahawk56:
If you can't afford at least an S-class, why bother?
Folks here bitched about $4/gallon gas....,..,,,.Mercedes Benz are out of the question if the price of gasoline is an issue at all......unless big oil stocks make up the majority of your portfolio nest egg.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

Originally posted by bagdropper:

I was a class clown, but surprisingly did well in school.

As was I in both respects. As a result, I tend to think we're easy to spot, even on a message board.

"We all look alike".

Originally posted by joelbc1:

Folks here bitched about $4/gallon gas....,..,,,.Mercedes Benz are out of the question if the price of gasoline is an issue at all......unless big oil stocks make up the majority of your portfolio nest egg.
You could cherry pick some time lines where the following won't be true... but in general over the last decade, "big oil" hasn't outperformed the stock market as a whole.

You know though, it's probably because Cheney is no longer the VP and Bush isn't manufacturing nasty hurricanes to destroy poor communities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT