ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas Men's Basketball has at least $5 Million Each Year for NIL to Pay its Players

Well that’s actually peanuts compared to NBA total team roster salaries; where the salary cap is $136,000,000 and teams can go over that.

Obviously NBA is the best of the best.

$136,000,000 vs $5,000,000

What’s this tell me?? In one sense it tells me college athletes are just scratching the surface for what they could get paid.

Well that’s actually peanuts compared to NBA total team roster salaries; where the salary cap is $136,000,000 and teams can go over that.

What’s this tell me?? In one sense it tells me college athletes are just scratching the surface for what they could get paid.
Tv revenue and ticket sales don’t go to the players, goes to the school.

College will never ever come close to that. Nil is mostly funded by a few rich boosters. Only the truly elite get real deals on their own.

College will never ever come close to that. Nil is mostly funded by a few rich boosters. Only the truly elite get real deals on their own.

Seems inevitable that the players eventually become employees and can share in TV revenue, ticket sales, etc.

The sooner that happens, the better, for a school like Iowa.

I agree in today’s snapshot. But my guess is this whole thing will continue to evolve to mirror a true professional league model with rules around compensation, tv revenue schools, coaches and players.

five-million-dollars-5c2c45.jpg

Seems inevitable that the players eventually become employees and can share in TV revenue, ticket sales, etc.

The sooner that happens, the better, for a school like Iowa.
don’t see it. The lawsuits would fly if every athlete at a school didn’t get an equal share.

Also wouldnt change anything but give the athletic department a lot less money to work with. The pie is only so big and more TV/Ticket money in athlete’s pocket means less for facilities and coaching salaries.

Also wouldn’t stop boosters from paying more to certain players which means nothing would change in terms of portal and transfers. Because nobody is every going to say “ I am happy with my diluted cut of TV money, I don’t need the booster’s $500,000+”.

Tighten the portal window and force them to sit a year or play and lose a year of eligibility is what is needed.

Reactions: GOHOX69
don’t see it. The lawsuits would fly if every athlete at a school didn’t get an equal share.

Also wouldnt change anything but give the athletic department a lot less money to work with. The pie is only so big and more TV/Ticket money in athlete’s pocket means less for facilities and coaching salaries.

Also wouldn’t stop boosters from paying more to certain players which means nothing would change in terms of portal and transfers. Because nobody is every going to say “ I am happy with my diluted cut of TV money, I don’t need the booster’s $500,000+”.

Tighten the portal window and force them to sit a year or play and lose a year of eligibility is what is needed.

Not all athletes would need to be paid the same, just like not all coaches are paid the same.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

As we all know, landing an NBA roster spot is incredibly difficult. Lust look at Luka and Weezy.

Now that pay to play is 100% legal, college players want to get paid hundreds of thousands as soon as possible.

@TheTruthTheWholeTruth posted on here that Tony Perkins was looking for $300,000 for his final year. Imagine that.

It's all become one big freakin' mess.

This is yet another reason why I'll never give to The Swarm.

Pay For Play is a professional concept, not an amateur concept.

Yep; Fran basically stated Tony Perkins was now a professional and looking for his pay day.

This was his statement on Tony entering the transfer portal:

“Tony has been a great Hawkeye the past four years, playing a key role on three NCAA Tournament teams and winning a Big Ten Tournament title. Tony has aspirations of continuing his career professionally; we wish him the best moving forward.”

Source:

If anyone on this board wants to start the next Walmart or Tyson Foods, now is a good time. 50 years ago would be a better time, but we can't be too picky.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Title IX lawyers would line up.

Women's Crew is proof.

Title IX requires equality in participation, not spending. They need to offer a proportionate amount of female scholarships as male scholarships in order to have proportionate participation. However, outside of scholarships, every division 1 school spends much more on men's athletics than they do on women's athletics. That includes facilities and coaches' salaries. No reason that couldn't also be true for athlete compensation in excess of scholarships.

This is yet another reason why I'll never give to The Swarm.

Pay For Play is a professional concept, not an amateur concept.
Be that as it may, this is the current landscape of college athletics. You either have to play the game or get left in the dust. Here at Iowa, we love that gritty sensation on our molars and in our eyes.

This shows you one thing: available NIL funds are a BIG draw when coaches are considering jobs.

Big time coaches won’t want to go to a program without great NIL support. Problematic for all those fans who demand we hire a great basketball coach but refuse to contribute to the program

we just don't have alumni with deep pockets, unfortunately

and I agree with you; the Iowa job is not very attractive as a result

Not all athletes would need to be paid the same, just like not all coaches are paid the same.

I think the poster is possibly alluding to fact that Woke schools like Iowa were originally demanding that any NIL collective representing the school distribute equal NIL dollars to women athletes as they do men to conform to Title9. The Swarm said "no" because it is private entity. When it comes to distributing TV/sports money to the players from the school's Athletic department budget, that will very much be politically sensitive subject. It will be difficult to pay more in total to men's football/basketball athletes than womens' field hockey, even though the football/basketball players' are the ones generating the TV revenue.

The more I get disgusted by NIL/and Iowa's lack of competitiveness with NIL, I'm more likely for me to drop my YouTubeTV subscription at $80/month for live sports. Viewership has to start to decline before anything will be done.

Reactions: amahawk
Some of this was already going on under the table. Now that it is uncontrolled and everywhere, but Iowa BB can apparently only offer pennies on the dollar at other schools. It is ridiculous. I guess I am just too old fashioned.

we just don't have alumni with deep pockets, unfortunately

and I agree with you; the Iowa job is not very attractive as a result
There are only a handful of schools with billionaire sugar-daddies that shovel $$ at their alma mater's athletic dept. The majority get it from a group of pretty wealthy alumni and the general fanbase. Iowa has wealthy alumni, but I just don't think many of them shovel $$ into the Iowa athletic dept like at other schools.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I've been ambivalent to razorback basketball for many years. Used to have an appreciation when Nolan Richardson was their coach and the game he had his teams play, despite the bad ending to his time there. Further back I was a fan of Sidney Moncrief for the old schoolers on here.
But with this and the announcement of major league douchebag calipari as their new coach I despise them.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT