ADVERTISEMENT

Arland Bruce has arrived & is practicing w/ Brody Brecht at Ankeny. FINALLY, ON OCTOBER 1, Ruled ELIGIBLE to Play.

Legend - if the injunction is granted Arland will be playing. If not there is an appeal process. My guess is the decision will be made in short order. As it is a public record I will say I was shocked the Association actually argued that he gets to practice and play JV games so no harm. That basically concedes he can play just not “varsity.” Bad tactics in my opinion. But I am not very smart.
FWIW Gavin Williams was not allowed to compete varsity track and had to run JV when he transferred from SEP to Dowling.

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
To be clear did Gavin play “varsity” football for Dowling? We already know the answer.

And SEP was playing football at the time. Not the best argument.
Why does it matter if SEP was playing football he still was not eligible for 90 days. Also the last I saw Kansas was still planning on playing HS Football.

Legend - if the injunction is granted Arland will be playing. If not there is an appeal process. My guess is the decision will be made in short order. As it is a public record I will say I was shocked the Association actually argued that he gets to practice and play JV games so no harm. That basically concedes he can play just not “varsity.” Bad tactics in my opinion. But I am not very smart.

Neither Iowa Courts Online nor EDMS has an Appearance on file for the IHSAA. Who was counsel of record who argued in opposition to the request for emergency relief?

FWIW, if I was fighting against the request, I'm not sure that I would have argued that Bruce cannot show "irreparable injury" because he is practicing and eligible for junior varsity games. Pretty sure that won't "find a sympathetic ear" with Judge Hanson.

That written, allowing him to practice and play in JV games is consistent with the statute. The 90 day waiting period only applies to varsity "contests and competition." Therefore, even if deemed ineligible for varsity games, there is nothing in the statute which declares him ineligible for JV contests.

Another example of the statute's intent to prevent "recruiting" to advance a particular school's chances of winning a state tournament.

EDIT: Did the IHSAA put in any evidence as to why they made the decision?

My guess is the decision will be made in short order.

Judge Hanson will most definitely have a ruling prior to Friday's game. I'd be shocked if he didn't have a ruling out before close of business on Thursday . . . likely sooner.

Tick tok. Man a lot of people don’t want a kid who is an Iowa recruit to play. How about the other 10 kids that did play for other schools last Friday night. And Aurora so you know not all those families uprooted and are living in the district. Hell they didn’t even sign guardianship over the kids they left behind. WTF is wrong with some of you?! Makes me wonder on people. The QB from Valley’s Dad still has a business in Colorado. And I can go through all the kids. Arland lives in Ankeny with his Mom, is a student, and like a bunch of other kids just wants to play.

Tick tok. Man a lot of people don’t want a kid who is an Iowa recruit to play. How about the other 10 kids that did play for other schools last Friday night. And Aurora so you know not all those families uprooted and are living in the district. Hell they didn’t even sign guardianship over the kids they left behind. WTF is wrong with some of you?! Makes me wonder on people. The QB from Valley’s Dad still has a business in Colorado. And I can go through all the kids. Arland lives in Ankeny with his Mom, is a student, and like a bunch of other kids just wants to play.

How can you read what @AuroraHawk writes and then come back at him as if he is against you? Are you able to comprehend the written word at all?

And now it is 10 kids that played last weekend? Earlier you said it was 20 kids. That is a pretty big change in #s.

Also...his name is Arland Bruce, not Arlund Brice.

And it is Brian Humke, not Brain Humke.

Thanks Legend. Called a phone with fat fingers. And never said Aurora was against Arland. And unlike you, Aurora is smart and not bitter. Like someone else posted you simply hate everyone. Not sure why you picked this fight except because of me and your hated for me and my deceased mother who you never met. BTW is the Valley QB’s living in WDM? Or still managing his Colorado business?

Good firm. Was just telling you as you asked who is repping the Association. Hope to know tomorrow. Wish you were on the hearing Aurora as it was quite interesting. As it was recorded by Ashley be more than happy to tell you about it but not on a board.

Aurora now that my name is out there give me a call. Wouldn’t mind picking your brain. Been doing this like 25 years or whatever. Always like someone to give me a little insight.

Aurora now that my name is out there give me a call. Wouldn’t mind picking your brain. Been doing this like 25 years or whatever. Always like someone to give me a little insight.

Picking at the brain of others is the best thing about being in a larger firm and what I’ve missed most during COVID.

I’ll try you at the office tomorrow.

Call me now Aurora. And I left I mid firm so I could do work like this. My cell is on the web.

Monster- I don’t know your agenda. But strange you are rooting against a Hawk being eligible to play. I know Legend is cause he hates me and my family. But why are you? I won’t play the race card like i didn’t in the hearing or in the paper. But your hate on this kid is not explainable. Hate me fine Legend does and rips my Mom who has been dead for 13 years. But what your problem?

Monster- I don’t know your agenda. But strange you are rooting against a Hawk being eligible to play. I know Legend is cause he hates me and my family. But why are you? I won’t play the race card like i didn’t in the hearing or in the paper. But your hate on this kid is not explainable. Hate me fine Legend does and rips my Mom who has been dead for 13 years. But what your problem?
Lol. Are you a teenager? I have no feelings at all toward you or Arland Bruce. To suggest otherwise is weird. I've taken a position and argued it. I refuse to believe you hold any authority in this case. If the Bruce's have engaged your services in some sort of defense role, whatever they are paying, it's too much.

Good argument Monster. All I need to know. Well when I get Arland eligible as a Hawk I hope to God he doesn’t read your posts. Or Legend’s for that matter. Hell I wouldn’t come to Iowa City if people like you Monster and Legend are the fanbase. You guys are sick.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
This is one strange thread. I’m skeptical that Hkfan23 is Arland Bruce’s actual lawyer and now I’m starting to wonder if Hkfan23 and Aurora are the same person. I do hope the kid wins his appeal.

Reactions: Hendy hawk

People are rooting for the rules to be followed. Accusing Monster of possibly having racist motives without any evidence to that fact is galling, but not surprising from you.

CID - don’t ask questions such as that. Certain people on here who have their law degrees and have intimate knowledge of the rules and are all knowing on the facts on each case including Arland’s will tell you why you are an idiot. And yes there is a difference when you have a parental move. And at least as of dinner last night I can say for a fact Arland and his Mom are together in Ankeny.

This is one strange thread. I’m skeptical that Hkfan23 is Arland Bruce’s actual lawyer and now I’m starting to wonder if Hkfan23 and Aurora are the same person. I do hope the kid wins his appeal.

Nope. Not same person.

Fine Legend but were the rules followed? How the hell do you know if they were. Do you know on each case whether the Association determined the living arrangements of the kids? Cause all I know is the Valley QB’s Dad still has his business in Colorado and a simple search online which a reporter did does not show each of these kid’s families owns a home in Polk or Dallas County. So they are either renting/leasing as is Arland and Linda or living in a hotel. Legend you can hate me all you want and so can this Monster but why hate on Arland? At least hate on the kids who aren’t going to Iowa or ISU for that matter and who will be out of this state the second football season is over. The Bruce family will all be living in Iowa when Arland enrolls at Iowa. Spew your venom on kids who came in from out of state, are currently playing and will vanish once the season is done. After the season the Bruce family will still be here and will be for at least the next 4-5 years.

I can concur with Aurora not the same. Man I should have known better than to ever get in a thread with Legend. Silly me to defend a kid who oh my gosh will be Hawkeye. JFC if Arland was going to Wisconsin he would be treated better on these boards. Next time they invite me up for dinner and the whole family is in Hawk garb I will tell them he should go to Nebraska.

Fine Legend but were the rules followed? How the hell do you know if they were. Do you know on each case whether the Association determined the living arrangements of the kids? Cause all I know is the Valley QB’s Dad still has his business in Colorado and a simple search online which a reporter did does not show each of these kid’s families owns a home in Polk or Dallas County. So they are either renting/leasing as is Arland and Linda or living in a hotel. Legend you can hate me all you want and so can this Monster but why hate on Arland? At least hate on the kids who aren’t going to Iowa or ISU for that matter and who will be out of this state the second football season is over. The Bruce family will all be living in Iowa when Arland enrolls at Iowa. Spew your venom on kids who came in from out of state, are currently playing and will vanish once the season is done. After the season the Bruce family will still be here and will be for at least the next 4-5 years.

No one is hating on Arland. No venom is being spewed.

Holy hell do you have an infantile mind.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
Fair enough Legend. Just seems weird some people did a deep dive to even reading lease agreements on Arland but don’t seem to care about the other transfers who clearly don’t intend to stay in Iowa. At least the Brice family plans to live in Iowa for next 4-5 years while Arland is at Iowa. Anyway, hopefully get a ruling in short order so a Court (not of public opinion) can decide.

Hendy - I meant my fat fingers said Brice not Bruce. Legend likes to correct my spelling errors which is fine.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Fair enough Legend. Just seems weird some people did a deep dive to even reading lease agreements on Arland but don’t seem to care about the other transfers who clearly don’t intend to stay in Iowa. At least the Brice family plans to live in Iowa for next 4-5 years while Arland is at Iowa. Anyway, hopefully get a ruling in short order so a Court (not of public opinion) can decide.

There were some petty comments about his mom made in this thread. It hasn't been all innocuous virtue signaling.

Black and Gold - I am hopeful Arland plays. He should be able to. Now some comments on here from “Hawk” fans are what stirred me up. He is and his family will actually be living in Iowa for the next 4-5 years. Don’t see that happening with the other transfers who played last Friday night. I won’t comment on hearsay info except to say some it has already been printed that some kids from a 2 household family are playing with one of the parents still at their old out of state residence. Arland and Linda with my own 2 eyes live in Ankeny with a lease agreement. Arland is going to school there. As it is a public record, I will say the Association actually said he is fine to practice and play in JV games but not varsity games. So his residency is acceptable to go to school and practice and play Thursday nights but not Friday nights?! That is the argument. And the reporter is who told me about other living arrangements for kids which are way less solid than Arland. And he is who also told me someone “tipped off” the Association with Arland. Hmmm. Anyway, hopefully he is allowed to play soon enough. Hell he is lining up every afternoon and catching passes from Jase Bauer and can play in JV games but apparently can’t do that under the lights on Friday night. Something is rotting in Denmark.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT