ADVERTISEMENT

Article on the offense ….

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
Maybe already linked but I didn’t see it…,

I’m not a Pat Hardy fan, but when many of the usual suspects were throwing a fit about Brian Ferentz & his attitude at the press conference. This echoes pretty much what I thought.

He has to be frustrated, he really doesn’t have a Full say on what does or doesn’t change, nor would he have had the authority to pronounce that in that press conference.

Nor do I think it would’ve been the right place to suggest sweeping changes, nor do I even think “sweeping changes” are necessary…

We need to block people, throw it where a play can be made and catch the damn ball!

I think this offense will be better than adequate…

Last edited:
Maybe already linked but I didn’t see it…,

I’m not a Pat Hardy fan, but when many of the usual suspects were throwing a fit about Brian Ferentz & his attitude at the press conference. This echoes pretty much what I thought.

He has to be frustrated, he really doesn’t have a Full say on what does or doesn’t change, nor would he have had the authority to pronounce that in that press conference.

Nor do I think it would’ve been the right place to suggest sweeping changes, nor do I even think “sweeping changes” are necessary…

We need to block people, throw it where a play can be made and catch the damn ball!

I think this offense will be better than adequate…
Just need to make those 10 yard throws on target. We ain't asking for much.

Let's go ahead and set the goalposts. By what metrics should we deem the offense to be "adequate"? That would have to at least be somewhere in the top 100, right?
Good point. We basically hit rock bottom last year so basically no where to go but up. Question is how high is considered acceptable? Sad thing with our elite D last year if our offense ranked 100th we'd be most likely 10-2 and West division champs. I think Parker and Woods will have the D and SP be close to if not maybe even better in some areas than last season. Now it's just a question of what the O can do. To me with portal additions at QB, WR and All along with 2 OL to go with an emerging star at RB. 80-90 is where I think they should at the very least be and I don't think asking for too much.

But one thing I definitely agree with Harty on. Besides PSU which could still be a possible W even though be heavy underdogs tell me a game Iowa can't win. Minus maybe @Wisconsin could be favored in 9-10 games this year.

Last edited:
Let's go ahead and set the goalposts. By what metrics should we deem the offense to be "adequate"? That would have to at least be somewhere in the top 100, right?

That kind of stuff is for you guys to define… All I care about is winning! Everything’s relative, but I would consider adequate a fairly decent offense and I believe it will be better than that.

You set the goal post wherever the hell you want them. The Truth is, if it doesn’t fit your vision of what it should’ve been you’ll move them anyway!

Let’s reverse engineer it…Kansas State, who had a pretty damn good team last year had a defensive ranking of 95th… Is that OK?

Edit… I’m not going to go back and look but I may have made a mistake. I was looking at TCU and Kansas State both because I’m a little surprised so many people are favorable of them. I don’t see either one of them having the same season, but it might’ve been TCU that had the 95th ranked defense and that would make more sense.!

They weren’t good!

Last edited:
Good point. We basically hit rock bottom last year so basically no where to go but up. Question is how high is considered acceptable? Sad thing with our elite D last year if our offense ranked 100th we'd be most likely 10-2 and West division champs. I think Parker and Woods will have the D and SP be close to if not maybe even better in some areas than last season. Now it's just a question of what the O can do. To me with portal additions at QB, WR and All along with 2 OL to go with an emerging star at RB. 80-90 is where I think they should at the very least be and I don't think asking for too much.

But one thing I definitely agree with Harty on. Besides PSU which could still be a possible W even though be heavy underdogs tell me a game Iowa can't win. Minus maybe @Wisconsin could be favored in 9-10 games this year.

If the line goes together, I really believe we have the ability to be a top 60 offense.

Clearly B F is mostly indefensible at this point in time and I would not argue that because at the end of the day it’s his baby… But I do not at all buy into the antiquated office or BF doesn’t know how to call plays or, or, or…

KF is still the CEO, and the offense is going to look like it has looked for several years, but we have all seen it be way more efficient than this!

It was a simple statement that I don’t think needs overly defined, I believe we can have an O fence that scores 30 points a game, I really do!

If the line goes together, I really believe we have the ability to be a top 60 offense.

Clearly B F is mostly indefensible at this point in time and I would not argue that because at the end of the day it’s his baby… But I do not at all buy into the antiquated office or BF doesn’t know how to call plays or, or, or…

KF is still the CEO, and the offense is going to look like it has looked for several years, but we have all seen it be way more efficient than this!

It was a simple statement that I don’t think needs overly defined, I believe we can have an O fence that scores 30 points a game, I really do!
My guess is upper 30s rank for scoring offense.

My guess is upper 30s rank for scoring offense.

I think that’s too optimistic although I’ll confess I don’t know what the average scoring metric was last year because I do believe it has fallen in recent years!

After several years of continually going up!

Point being wherever 30+ points a game “ends up” ranking the offense is where I lie!

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
Total offense or YPP would be a vast improvement.
It still shocks me to see how many posters here have no clue why Total Offense/Scoring Offense/YPG, etc. are horrible metrics for the style of play Iowa has and has been successful with.

Something like Offensive Efficiently would be a much better metric for Iowa, and is rarely acknowledged by most fans. It's not complicated to see how the metric corresponds with our play style philosophy, so I guess it's just laziness.

Offensive Efficiency in recent years/Win totals:

2022: 99th - 8-5
2021: 90th - 10-4
2020: 64th - 6-2 (roughly 10-4 on a full schedule, with games canceled we'd be favored in)
2019: 53rd - 10-3
2018: 41st - 9-4
2017: 44th - 8-5
2016: 57th - 8-5
2015: 38th - 12-2

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overalloff/2022

The Truth is, if it doesn’t fit your vision of what it should’ve been you’ll move them anyway!
Nice strawman. And I don't really know anything or care about KSU football. But I would be willing to make a sizeable bet: that IF KSU's defense falls outside of the top 100 this year, their DC will be looking for employment elsewhere.

Nice strawman. And I don't really know anything or care about KSU football. But I would be willing to make a sizeable bet: that IF KSU's defense falls outside of the top 100 this year, their DC will be looking for employment elsewhere.

It’s a strawman, because that is a popular comment on a message board to make yourself sound, smart…

I’m not setting anything up you are?! You wanted to “set the goal post” not me…

And you might notice I edited, it to say TCU. I think I was wrong… And if the defensive coordinator is in his first year or second year, no I don’t necessarily agree.

That fits with your anti-Ferentz agenda… That’s what you hope would happen!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

PS…. The same rules apply if KSU was 10 and three or 10 in 4, hell I don’t remember what the record was with the 95th ranked defense what would their record have been with the 70th ranked defense… And again what’s the difference between the 95th ranked defense & say the 105th ranked….see anybody can play that dumb ass game?

Last edited:
Top 80 would be adequate, top 65 would be "good", top 20 and we win the BIG and are in the playoffs.

Good reply, and I agree…. With the assessment that top 20 would give us a legitimate chance to win the national championship top 40ish, maybe 50 would get us in the playoff?

It’s still really comes down to luck as a variable, and how the team performs at the necessary time…!

Let’s remember every team and not just Big Ten teams are gonna have to find a way to slug it out for a 14-13 win…

• Haha
"One of the amendments has his annual salary dropping from $900,000 to $850,000 for the 2023 season."

Oh no, what will he ever do? We may see BF dumpster diving with that loss of income.

Reactions: cmhawks99
It still shocks me to see how many posters here have no clue why Total Offense/Scoring Offense/YPG, etc. are horrible metrics for the style of play Iowa has and has been successful with.

Something like Offensive Efficiently would be a much better metric for Iowa, and is rarely acknowledged by most fans. It's not complicated to see how the metric corresponds with our play style philosophy, so I guess it's just laziness.

2020: 64th - 6-2 (roughly 10-4 on a full schedule, with games canceled we'd be favored in)

Counterpoint, any offensive metric that didn’t have Iowa in the bottom 10% also can’t be trusted because good god we were awful at everything.

It’s a strawman, because that is a popular comment on a message board to make yourself sound, smart…

And you might notice I edited, it to say TCU. I think I was wrong… And if the defensive coordinator is in his first year or second year, no I don’t necessarily agree.

Another strawman. What makes it a strawman is claiming that I said something that I didn't, then arguing against it. I guess one can win any argument if you're free to simply state what someone else thinks.

Frankly, I see several 9th grade offenses with less pronounced formation and D&D tendencies and better execution in pass pro than Iowa. I also saw him fail to make adjustments to the offense according to the talent/skill limitations of his personnel. You, however, have been on here for months deriding anyone who doubts that BF is a competent Power 5 offensive coordinator. I think it was fair to ask you then, what you deem to be an adequate offense.

You said earlier that you think a top 60 offense is possible. I'm curious about the metric you would use to state that Iowa does indeed have a top 60 offense.

Reactions: luvmyhawks

If you know any average intelligence 6th graders maybe you can have them hook you up on how to use commas and periods appropriately to form coherent sentences since whoever taught you failed so miserably. Holy shit. Thinking you need commas after strawman and before smart in your first sentence makes you sound really, really stupid. Per usual

Just trying to help....

I don't have a prediction of where the offense will finish but I have a real good feeling about the team if they don't have major injuries at key positions.
I think Cade is a true confident leader and he will execute the offense. I don't think the offensive scheme will be turned upside down but there will be MANY more options on play calling because of the offensive cast.

QB - nuff said
OL - brought talent from the outside to help and I think a key 3 or 4 returners will be much better,
TE - nuff said
WR - Brought in talent to supplement a few guys that I think will have a chance to show what they can do because they have a QB that can deliver the ball to the right spot
RB - nuff said

Great Special Teams
Great Defense that MAY have the chance of only playing 26, 27, 28 minutes a game,,,,,how much better will that make them?? (brought in a stud LB as well...would love to see another CB for depth)

Schedule is right. Offense will have plenty of time before Penn St. to be in a comfortable spot.

Yep...it is only on paper right now but I am BUYING on this team. I know the first game is Utah St. but if we come out and piss pound them with some impressive offense, the meter will point north in a hurry. You may say "yeah, it's only Utah State" and that is partially correct. But think about last year's opener. I think they will head into the game with big confidence and they will leave that with even more....and then we have the opportunity to build on that.

All told...Cade is the key and THAT is what I believe in right now.

last year to make the top 60 the stats were right at 5000 yards, or 417 ypg. it really isn't that hard to attain.
Iowa avg'd 94.9 ypg rushing
they also avg'd 156.7 ypg passing

for a total of 251 total ypg. the OL affected every aspect of the offense, constantly putting the QB in 2nd and 9 or more to count

• Haha
I don't have a prediction of where the offense will finish but I have a real good feeling about the team if they don't have major injuries at key positions.
I think Cade is a true confident leader and he will execute the offense. I don't think the offensive scheme will be turned upside down but there will be MANY more options on play calling because of the offensive cast.

QB - nuff said
OL - brought talent from the outside to help and I think a key 3 or 4 returners will be much better,
TE - nuff said
WR - Brought in talent to supplement a few guys that I think will have a chance to show what they can do because they have a QB that can deliver the ball to the right spot
RB - nuff said

Great Special Teams
Great Defense that MAY have the chance of only playing 26, 27, 28 minutes a game,,,,,how much better will that make them?? (brought in a stud LB as well...would love to see another CB for depth)

Schedule is right. Offense will have plenty of time before Penn St. to be in a comfortable spot.

Yep...it is only on paper right now but I am BUYING on this team. I know the first game is Utah St. but if we come out and piss pound them with some impressive offense, the meter will point north in a hurry. You may say "yeah, it's only Utah State" and that is partially correct. But think about last year's opener. I think they will head into the game with big confidence and they will leave that with even more....and then we have the opportunity to build on that.

All told...Cade is the key and THAT is what I believe in right now.
They did everything I hoped they would do and then some in the portal. It would’ve been nice if Brecht would have stayed one more year to give them some size outside but can’t fault him for leaving the program.

If they can get mostly healthy I’ll say they average 30+ points a game. The O line will be much improved with another year under its belt, better health, and two other seasoned players joining the competition. It can’t overstated enough what a massive upgrade Cade is at QB.

Reactions: cmhawks99
the biggest key will be the OL, the OL is always the key to a good offense.

with these on the OL
3 year starter at LT Richman RSJR
3 year starter 2nd year at LG Colby JR
2nd year starter Jones at center RSJR
3 year starter at his previous school RSSR Feth RG
3 year starter at his previous school RSSR Parker RT

the OL looks to be in the best shape than it has in a long time,

there is some strong dudes as backups some thing Iowa has not had these last 2 years, the depth on the OL is improving each year. they have gone thru injuries and players leaving for one reason or another.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Well, when you use the word adequate we might be looking for "just" avg, middle of the back which is about #65 out of 131.

My gawd, if our offense was #65 the last 2 years we might have back to back Big 10 Championships. Just 300-320 yards of offense a game and scoring 24 pts would have made Iowa almost unbeatable.

With that the hawks trounce a lot of teams they lost to.

So go get it players.

• Haha
Last year we ranked 130 out of 131 in total offense. How bout "above average"...meaning 65th or better?

Stats that will determine success or failure to me:

3rd Down Conversion
Red Zone Efficiency
Total Points (obviously)
Turnovers.

yardage metrics don't mean as much to me considering the style of offense we run - we simply don't play fast enough to maximize the number of possessions; and at least until proven otherwise, we don't score quick enough (off of big plays) to see that massive jump in yardage some have mentioned above.

Reactions: nu2u and cmhawks99
Still need to modernize to a version of the Spread offense. Less predictable and less taxing on the OLine.
With the o lineman and tight end talent in State there is no reason to go to a spread. The latest adaptqtions In offense are going away from the spread and an offensive style more like Iowa’s, see Georgia and Oregon State. it’s cyclical.

Another strawman. What makes it a strawman is claiming that I said something that I didn't, then arguing against it. I guess one can win any argument if you're free to simply state what someone else thinks.

Frankly, I see several 9th grade offenses with less pronounced formation and D&D tendencies and better execution in pass pro than Iowa. I also saw him fail to make adjustments to the offense according to the talent/skill limitations of his personnel. You, however, have been on here for months deriding anyone who doubts that BF is a competent Power 5 offensive coordinator. I think it was fair to ask you then, what you deem to be an adequate offense.

You said earlier that you think a top 60 offense is possible. I'm curious about the metric you would use to state that Iowa does indeed have a top 60 offense.
As others have alluded to, it should be focused on efficiency. If Iowa is top 60 in offensive efficiency, that means a lot fewer empty possessions and it's gonna be a very good year.

Last year we ranked 130 out of 131 in total offense. How bout "above average"...meaning 65th or better?
Who you play matters as the other team has a defense, maybe good or maybe not. Iowa played 2 top 5 teams in total defense in ILL and ISU, 4 top 10 defenses including Mich. and Minn. and 7 top 15 defenses that includes Wisc. Kentucky, and OSU all allowing less than 322 total yards per game. The 4 top ten defenses all allowed less than 295 YPG with Illinois only allowing 274 YPG. So more than half of our opponents were top 15 in total defense. Nebraska was the worst defense we faced at #100 allowing 414 YPG.

The Big 12 had 4 defenses worse than Nebraska and West Virginia just 2 YPG better than Neb. Those 5 teams allowed on average 441 YPG. So every Big 12 team got to play at least 4 of these teams. ISU got to play all 5. The second best defense in the Big 12 after ISU is #54 Texas allowing 368 YPG. The PAC 12 has 6 teams ranked lower than Nebraska in total defense including Colorado allowing 510 YPG.

We play several teams next year that have had top 20 defenses last year and some for the last several years like Wisc., PSU, ISU, Minn.. Last year ILL had a top 5 defense and Rutgers, Purdue, and Northwestern all had defenses ranked in the top 65.

Let's see how some of the defenses stack up next year before we think we can be above average.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT