ADVERTISEMENT

Article on the offense ….

Stats that will determine success or failure to me:

3rd Down Conversion
Red Zone Efficiency
Total Points (obviously)
Turnovers.

yardage metrics don't mean as much to me considering the style of offense we run - we simply don't play fast enough to maximize the number of possessions; and at least until proven otherwise, we don't score quick enough (off of big plays) to see that massive jump in yardage some have mentioned above.
Agree and the style of teams like Minn. Wisc. and Ill played last year where they play at a slow pace and run the ball limiting the number of plays for both teams.

Who you play matters as the other team has a defense, maybe good or maybe not. Iowa played 2 top 5 teams in total defense in ILL and ISU, 4 top 10 defenses including Mich. and Minn. and 7 top 15 defenses that includes Wisc. Kentucky, and OSU all allowing less than 322 total yards per game. The 4 top ten defenses all allowed less than 295 YPG with Illinois only allowing 274 YPG. So more than half of our opponents were top 15 in total defense. Nebraska was the worst defense we faced at #100 allowing 414 YPG.

The Big 12 had 4 defenses worse than Nebraska and West Virginia just 2 YPG better than Neb. Those 5 teams allowed on average 441 YPG. So every Big 12 team got to play at least 4 of these teams. ISU got to play all 5. The second best defense in the Big 12 after ISU is #54 Texas allowing 368 YPG. The PAC 12 has 6 teams ranked lower than Nebraska in total defense including Colorado allowing 510 YPG.

We play several teams next year that have had top 20 defenses last year and some for the last several years like Wisc., PSU, ISU, Minn.. Last year ILL had a top 5 defense and Rutgers, Purdue, and Northwestern all had defenses ranked in the top 65.

Let's see how some of the defenses stack up next year before we think we can be above average.
My hunch is the defenses were good but those in the West were also aided by playing against poor offenses. Same is true for the B12 offenses, they are probably good but aided by playing against less than stellar defenses.

Who you play matters as the other team has a defense, maybe good or maybe not. Iowa played 2 top 5 teams in total defense in ILL and ISU, 4 top 10 defenses including Mich. and Minn. and 7 top 15 defenses that includes Wisc. Kentucky, and OSU all allowing less than 322 total yards per game. The 4 top ten defenses all allowed less than 295 YPG with Illinois only allowing 274 YPG. So more than half of our opponents were top 15 in total defense. Nebraska was the worst defense we faced at #100 allowing 414 YPG.

The Big 12 had 4 defenses worse than Nebraska and West Virginia just 2 YPG better than Neb. Those 5 teams allowed on average 441 YPG. So every Big 12 team got to play at least 4 of these teams. ISU got to play all 5. The second best defense in the Big 12 after ISU is #54 Texas allowing 368 YPG. The PAC 12 has 6 teams ranked lower than Nebraska in total defense including Colorado allowing 510 YPG.

We play several teams next year that have had top 20 defenses last year and some for the last several years like Wisc., PSU, ISU, Minn.. Last year ILL had a top 5 defense and Rutgers, Purdue, and Northwestern all had defenses ranked in the top 65.

Let's see how some of the defenses stack up next year before we think we can be above average.
Iowa only had 274 yards against Nebraska. And Iowa was trailing the entire game and needed to move the ball and score. (Unlike the Kentucky game.) I guess if they had played Big 12 defenses last year instead of B1G, the offense's total YPG would have improved all the way from 130 to 129.

Both of those stats are meaningless. Points per possession is really all that matters.
Not exactly. PPP is but one metric. When the offense is continually given the ball in favorable field position but continually has to settle for field goals, PPP might not look horrible, but the offense was still bad. Offensive efficiency takes the other important metrics like red zone efficiency, first downs, and yards per play into account.

Iowa only had 274 yards against Nebraska. And Iowa was trailing the entire game and needed to move the ball and score. (Unlike the Kentucky game.) I guess if they had played Big 12 defenses last year instead of B1G, the offense's total YPG would have improved all the way from 130 to 129.
Pick one game, Neb where we played our second string QB and our best offensive player, LaPorta was out and we had 4 turnovers.

Who has a worse offense ISU or Iowa?
ISU played 1 top 15 defense in total defense, Iowa, while Iowa played 7 top 15 defenses or over half our schedule. The next best defense ISU played was Texas at #54 who allowed 368 YPG, unlike Illinois 274, ISU 286, Mich 292, Minn 295 and Wisc 303. We played 9 teams with a better defense than Texas.

On the flip side the worst defense we played was Neb at #100 who allowed 414 YGP, while ISU played Texas Tech #108, Ohio #109, Okla St #115, Oklahoma #123, and Kansas #127.

I believe the worst offense was ISU. They didn't come close to playing the defenses Iowa did. They played 6 defenses that allowed over 400 YPG Iowa played 1. Both Okla and Kansas allowed over 460 YPG. ISU was # 83 in total offense with 370 YPG and got 469 against SE Missouri St who was not close to South Dakota State in defense.

We had 7 defensive scores to lead the nation while ISU had 0. 7 times our offense did not take the field and like the Kentucky game these scores change your strategy to running clock and limiting turn-overs with safe passes.

Last edited:
Another strawman. What makes it a strawman is claiming that I said something that I didn't, then arguing against it. I guess one can win any argument if you're free to simply state what someone else thinks.

Frankly, I see several 9th grade offenses with less pronounced formation and D&D tendencies and better execution in pass pro than Iowa. I also saw him fail to make adjustments to the offense according to the talent/skill limitations of his personnel. You, however, have been on here for months deriding anyone who doubts that BF is a competent Power 5 offensive coordinator. I think it was fair to ask you then, what you deem to be an adequate offense.

You said earlier that you think a top 60 offense is possible. I'm curious about the metric you would use to state that Iowa does indeed have a top 60 offense.

Right….and I bet you could find professional teams that do it too…😜

You state silly claims that nobody could prove because we don’t “know” stated teams….

And for months….Hell I’ve Pooh poohed people for years who constantly complain.

I’ve also said plainly he has been poor. My guess is you don’t watch much football if you don’t see plenty of tendencies and questionable adjustments everywhere?

But hey, you claim what you want!

If you know any average intelligence 6th graders maybe you can have them hook you up on how to use commas and periods appropriately to form coherent sentences since whoever taught you failed so miserably. Holy shit. Thinking you need commas after strawman and before smart in your first sentence makes you sound really, really stupid. Per usual

Just trying to help....

No you’re not… we’ve been down this road before. I really don’t care what you think about my poor punctuation. And I have six kids and I assure you some of them would care deeply about punctuation & some of them wouldn’t.

PS they’re all doing fine by the way!

I’m baffled you continually think you can shame me or make me feel bad because I don’t care about my loose grammar or punctuation?!

Last edited:
Reactions: pistachio1999
It still shocks me to see how many posters here have no clue why Total Offense/Scoring Offense/YPG, etc. are horrible metrics for the style of play Iowa has and has been successful with.

Something like Offensive Efficiently would be a much better metric for Iowa, and is rarely acknowledged by most fans. It's not complicated to see how the metric corresponds with our play style philosophy, so I guess it's just laziness.

Offensive Efficiency in recent years/Win totals:

2022: 99th - 8-5
2021: 90th - 10-4
2020: 64th - 6-2 (roughly 10-4 on a full schedule, with games canceled we'd be favored in)
2019: 53rd - 10-3
2018: 41st - 9-4
2017: 44th - 8-5
2016: 57th - 8-5
2015: 38th - 12-2

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overalloff/2022
Thank you. So obviously 2015 also happened to be our best year. I'm in the @mthawkeyes camp that we are incredibly predictable. Kirk seems to think that's ok if you can just execute. And he's probably right a lot on that. We somehow managed to win 10 games in 2021 and even 8 last year w/a QB that couldn't execute his own funeral. Clearly better players make it easier to execute. Parkers system has pretty much become plug and play. Offense not so much. And I don't think we do a lot different on defense than we have over the years. It sounds simple but when the play is available you just need to make it. Plain and simple. If we can scheme a bit and get our 2 tight ends the ball a lot and utilize our strong running backs along w/our regular stout defense this is a 10 win team.

My hunch is the defenses were good but those in the West were also aided by playing against poor offenses. Same is true for the B12 offenses, they are probably good but aided by playing against less than stellar defenses.
Sure and as most power 5 schools only play two out of conference power 5 schools thus limiting the ability to determine how conferences stack up. I looked at the 2022 bowl games to see how good the Big 12 defenses were and here are some numbers. Kansas defense allowed Arkansas 681 yards in 3 OT, Texas Tech allowed Ole Miss 558 yards, Oklahoma allowed FSU 587 yards, Texas allowed Washington 445, KSU allowed Alabama 496, and TCU allowed Mich. 528. Talk about poor defenses.

On the flip side OSU offense only got 281 yards against the Wisc defense and Baylor only managed 230 yards against the number 1 defense in Air Force.

Sure and as most power 5 schools only play two out of conference power 5 schools thus limiting the ability to determine how conferences stack up. I looked at the 2022 bowl games to see how good the Big 12 defenses were and here are some numbers. Kansas defense allowed Arkansas 681 yards in 3 OT, Texas Tech allowed Ole Miss 558 yards, Oklahoma allowed FSU 587 yards, Texas allowed Washington 445, KSU allowed Alabama 496, and TCU allowed Mich. 528. Talk about poor defenses.

On the flip side OSU offense only got 281 yards against the Wisc defense and Baylor only managed 230 yards against the number 1 defense in Air Force.
Big 12, besides Iowa State plays a much more wide open style. This leads to way more possessions and yes, more points. Not going to argue that Big 12 defenses are great (they're not) but their teams are built to stop the spread and speedier offenses that their teams have. Besides Ohio State and Purdue, Big Ten is still ground and pound. Way fewer possessions, which leads to less scoring. TCU racked up almost 500 yards against Michigan in the Bowl game by the way. While I think if Michigan doesn't turn the ball over they were the superior team they still had trouble w/the versatility of TCU's offense.

No you’re not… we’ve been down this road before. I really don’t care what you think about my poor punctuation. And I have six kids and I assure you some of them would care deeply about punctuation & some of them wouldn’t.

PS they’re all doing fine by the way!

I’m baffled you continually think you can shame me or make me feel bad because I don’t care about my loose grammar or punctuation?!
That dude should look around and take a look at the state of what's on twitter, etc. Maybe visit some schools. A few years back, we had teachers tell us at a large school they don't really push spelling and such because of spell check and everyone composes on something like Word or Outlook.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Big 12, besides Iowa State plays a much more wide open style. This leads to way more possessions and yes, more points. Not going to argue that Big 12 defenses are great (they're not) but their teams are built to stop the spread and speedier offenses that their teams have. Besides Ohio State and Purdue, Big Ten is still ground and pound. Way fewer possessions, which leads to less scoring. TCU racked up almost 500 yards against Michigan in the Bowl game by the way. While I think if Michigan doesn't turn the ball over they were the superior team they still had trouble w/the versatility of TCU's offense.
Right and TCU's offense showed up against Georgia to the tune of 188 yards and of course the Big 12 defense showed up again at 589 yards.

the defense is still a function of this team. Iowa plays as a team and wins as a team. only msg posters don't want to admit it.

defense thru out IA history under Fry and Kirk has played a major role in IA's wins.

msg board posters want X-Box/PlayStation numbers and until that happens they will never be happy. if they truly think that changing to the spread offense will produce these guady and worthless stats I truly feel sorry for them.

if a team racks up 600 plus yards and score 70+ ppg they won't/can't get credit for nothing more or less than 1 win or loss for that game. they don't get 1 1/2 beside their name in the standing's as Vince Lombard once stated

stats are for losers and boy was he right as this board is full of losers.

That dude should look around and take a look at the state of what's on twitter, etc. Maybe visit some schools. A few years back, we had teachers tell us at a large school they don't really push spelling and such because of spell check and everyone composes on something like Word or Outlook.

Yes…. and I’ll readily admit that cuts both ways for me.

I was actually pretty good in language and punctuation and spelling when I was younger. I’ve gotten really lazy because of the way we now communicate!

I also realize I have kind of a quirky style, I write similarly to how I talk! Stream on consciousness if you will!

But he isn’t going to embarrass me about it for sure 😜 as much as he deeply wishes he could!

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye

Right and TCU's offense showed up against Georgia to the tune of 188 yards and of course the Big 12 defense showed up again at 589 yards.
Considering how Michigan had played the rest of the season, that TCU game has to be considered something of an outlier, doesn't it? We're talking about a game where Michigan threw 2 pick sixes, as well as (what was it, 2 or 3?) possessions that got inside the TCU 5 and resulted in only 3 points. Including if memory serves, a controversial replay reviewed that overturned a michigan TD and then fumbled it away the next play.

IMO, Michigan came in overconfident, and made any number of mistakes...had they played that game 10 times Michigan wins 8/10 fairly comfortably. Then TCU turned around the next week having emptied their tank against Michigan and Georgia simply rolled them.

Pick one game, Neb where we played our second string QB and our best offensive player, LaPorta was out and we had 4 turnovers.

Who has a worse offense ISU or Iowa?
ISU played 1 top 15 defense in total defense, Iowa, while Iowa played 7 top 15 defenses or over half our schedule. The next best defense ISU played was Texas at #54 who allowed 368 YPG, unlike Illinois 274, ISU 286, Mich 292, Minn 295 and Wisc 303. We played 9 teams with a better defense than Texas.

On the flip side the worst defense we played was Neb at #100 who allowed 414 YGP, while ISU played Texas Tech #108, Ohio #109, Okla St #115, Oklahoma #123, and Kansas #127.

I believe the worst offense was ISU. They didn't come close to playing the defenses Iowa did. They played 6 defenses that allowed over 400 YPG Iowa played 1. Both Okla and Kansas allowed over 460 YPG. ISU was # 83 in total offense with 370 YPG and got 469 against SE Missouri St who was not close to South Dakota State in defense.

We had 7 defensive scores to lead the nation while ISU had 0. 7 times our offense did not take the field and like the Kentucky game these scores change your strategy to running clock and limiting turn-overs with safe passes.
I didn't pick the game. The post that I replied to was comparing Big 12 defenses to Nebraska. Since Iowa didn't move the ball against that god-awful defense, there's no reason to think that they would have done so against Big 12 defenses.

I’ve also said plainly he has been poor. My guess is you don’t watch much football if you don’t see plenty of tendencies and questionable adjustments everywhere?
I see plenty of tendencies and questionable adjustments coaching 9th grade football. In those cases, the head coach is usually 28 years old and football is a side gig. We don't lose to those teams. But even at the 9th grade level, most good CIML programs (Dowling, SEP, Ankeny) have less pronounced tendencies on offense than Iowa. I get the ideas of balance and establishing an identity, but unless you are far more talented than your opponent, you can't run the ball 90% of the time on 2nd and 10 and expect to pick up first downs consistently. Self-scouting is an essential part of winning football, and it's clear that Iowa often does a poor job of that on the offensive side of the ball.

I see plenty of tendencies and questionable adjustments coaching 9th grade football. In those cases, the head coach is usually 28 years old and football is a side gig. We don't lose to those teams. But even at the 9th grade level, most good CIML programs (Dowling, SEP, Ankeny) have less pronounced tendencies on offense than Iowa. I get the ideas of balance and establishing an identity, but unless you are far more talented than your opponent, you can't run the ball 90% of the time on 2nd and 10 and expect to pick up first downs consistently. Self-scouting is an essential part of winning football, and it's clear that Iowa often does a poor job of that on the offensive side of the ball.

That 90% stat has been wildly and soundly refuted on here many times.

That’s all the further we need to go right there!

Considering how Michigan had played the rest of the season, that TCU game has to be considered something of an outlier, doesn't it? We're talking about a game where Michigan threw 2 pick sixes, as well as (what was it, 2 or 3?) possessions that got inside the TCU 5 and resulted in only 3 points. Including if memory serves, a controversial replay reviewed that overturned a michigan TD and then fumbled it away the next play.

IMO, Michigan came in overconfident, and made any number of mistakes...had they played that game 10 times Michigan wins 8/10 fairly comfortably. Then TCU turned around the next week having emptied their tank against Michigan and Georgia simply rolled them.
I agree. And I stated I thought Michigan was clearly the better team but TCU made plays when it mattered and Michigan did not.

I didn't pick the game. The post that I replied to was comparing Big 12 defenses to Nebraska. Since Iowa didn't move the ball against that god-awful defense, there's no reason to think that they would have done so against Big 12 defenses.
As I stated ISU played 5 defenses worse that Nebraska's god-awful defense and Iowa turned the ball over 4 times.

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT