ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones & her family updates

353626675_1689568588154966_3835606183398433377_n.jpg

353630704_1689568561488302_2323207523394318007_n.jpg

353812203_1689568628154962_4785950663863642597_n.jpg

Thanks Fran, a great family story.
Very heartwarming to see Ava & family arriving & being embraced by the Hawkeye family.

Now, is Addie really that much taller than Sharon Goodman? Looks like 2-2.5" in the photo of them next to one another.

Reactions: amahawk
Does anybody know what the surgery on the leg is for? I thought she was to have surgery on her shoulder at Iowa.

Does anybody know what the surgery on the leg is for? I thought she was to have surgery on her shoulder at Iowa.

You are correct; Ava does have "just" one surgery remaining (her shoulder); that surgery reportedly will be done at Iowa.

Amy, the mom, is the one who will have surgery on her leg tomorrow, Wed June 14.

The family is a amazing, isn't it? They just keep moving forward.

When it comes to dates:

On May 14 it was reported that Ava had one more shoulder surgery left, which will take place in Iowa. Ava is very determined to play again. That story is linked at the end of this post.

On April 8, Amy Jones (Ava's mother) wrote that "surgery #3 is in the books! Knees should be as good as new." Ava then wrote on April 8 that "hopefully this was my last knee surgery."

When it comes to dates:

On May 14 it was reported that Ava had one more shoulder surgery left, which will take place in Iowa. Ava is very determined to play again. That story is linked at the end of this post.

On April 8, Amy Jones (Ava's mother) wrote that "surgery #3 is in the books! Knees should be as good as new." Ava then wrote on April 8 that "hopefully this was my last knee surgery."

Man I want so much for her to reach her goal of returning to the court. What a day that will be when she takes the floor at Carver! Can you imagine? At forward for Iowa, a 6'2" sophmore from Nickerson Kansas...#35 AVA JONES!!! Their won't be a dry eye in the place...

Man I want so much for her to reach her goal of returning to the court. What a day that will be when she takes the floor at Carver! Can you imagine? At forward for Iowa, a 6'2" sophmore from Nickerson Kansas...#35 AVA JONES!!! Their won't be a dry eye in the place...

I would put money on her playing one day. It might be mop up duty, but she is one determined young lady.

On a side note: the older son looks so much like the dad. Damn, he sacrificed his life by getting his family out of the way of the car and then saved more lives at the very end (he was an organ donor).

I would put money on her playing one day. It might be mop up duty, but she is one determined young lady.

On a side note: the older son looks so much like the dad. Damn, he sacrificed his life by getting his family out of the way of the car and then saved more lives at the very end (he was an organ donor).
Well Ava sure has her mom's facial features as well....

I read Kennise is 5'7". Looks to me that Ava is a good 9-11 inches taller??? But I think she is supposed to be 6'2". Any further info?

I read Kennise is 5'7". Looks to me that Ava is a good 9-11 inches taller??? But I think she is supposed to be 6'2". Any further info?
In the one photo of her and Lisa on her twitter page she looks to be a couple inches shorter than Lisa. In these recent photos she does look small. Tania Davis was only 5' 4'' coming out of high school so if she turns out that good, without the ACL tears it will be a blessing.

Just curious if anyone knows, but do the incoming kids get to pick roomies, or is it a pre-set thing from the staff?

Just curious if anyone knows, but do the incoming kids get to pick roomies, or is it a pre-set thing from the staff?
I think it’s just expected that new kids will room together. Transfers I think room with whomever would make them feel most at home (Kylie and Caitlin were friends before, Molly and AJ are both from Michigan).

I am hopeful Ava and Kennise (btw she also goes by Niecy and NeNe, we’ll have to wait to see what she prefers most) hit it off and are able to stay close and stay Hawks for all four years. They seem like very different kids but both are queer and both seem to rly want to be at Iowa. I saw Kennise post some pro-Clark stuff after the LSU game after all lol and she rly has seem to have hit it off with the coaches.

I have worried just a bit about Kennise’s fit with Bluder’s style only bc she seems to be such a defensive minded player, but luckily she has Marshall to look to for guidance as another pesky perimeter defender who broke into the lineup bc of her D.

Please tell me this was a typo on your part....

I don't care about anyone's sexual preference (it is none of anyone's business) and it seemed like an odd thing to throw into the middle of a paragraph
It was not a typo lmao. They are both out and proud and post about it on Instagram. This is not a secret and it’s also not 1950. The fact that you’re aghast is pretty nuts/cringe.

They are not the only queer members of this team either lol I can name at least 2 others and 2 coaches. Being out and proud is something they have in common and I hope it leads to them becoming lifelong friends and teammates.

Please tell me this was a typo on your part....

I don't care about anyone's sexual preference (it is none of anyone's business) and it seemed like an odd thing to throw into the middle of a paragraph

@shikreto has mentioned before that he/she is gay, so I don't think it was posted with any sort of malice.

It was not a typo lmao. They are both out and proud and post about it on Instagram. This is not a secret and it’s also not 1950. The fact that you’re aghast is pretty nuts/cringe.

They are not the only queer members of this team either lol I can name at least 2 others and 2 coaches. Being out and proud is something they have in common and I hope it leads to them becoming lifelong friends and teammates.

I am aghast and filled with horror, huh? Hardly. You can't even get that right so I am not shocked at all that you don't see the point.

You are right about one thing and that's about it; it's not 1950.

But, again, who cares about their sexuality? Who cares who's straight or gay? IT DOES NOT MATTER! And that's my point.

And what is actually nuts/cringeworthy is that you:

(1) threw their sexuality into the middle of a paragraph

(2) used the word "queer," where for many people—including members of the LGBTQ community—the word queer will never seem appropriate due to its history as a pejorative.

I am aghast and filled with horror, huh? Hardly. You can't even get that right so I am not shocked at all that you don't see the point.

You are right about one thing and that's about it; it's not 1950.

But, again, who cares about their sexuality? Who cares who's straight or gay? IT DOES NOT MATTER! And that's my point.

And what is actually nuts/cringeworthy is that you:

(1) threw their sexuality into the middle of a paragraph

(2) used the word "queer," where for many people—including members of the LGBTQ community—the word queer will never seem appropriate due to its history as a pejorative.
Okay boomer.

Clearly Ava and Kennise care, or they wouldn't be so out and proud. It also is likely a big reason they chose Iowa -- having two queer coaches can be huge plus for young queer kids. I was remarking on whether they'll hit it off as roommates or not -- let's not pretend that this shared perspective will never come up.

What a lot of people on this board don't get is that there is NOTHING inappropriate about mentioning someone's sexuality. To gloss over it, pretend otherwise, act like it's a shameful secret, reminds me of how my parents always talked about my aunt's "roommate" before family functions. As an out and proud gay man, I remember those moments well. Those moments are at best cringe and at worst harmful. If Ava and Kennise are out and proud being their true selves, we should embrace and celebrate that. If a kid is out and proud, they want you to know it. There's no shame, no reason to gloss over anything.

Have you ever heard a person of color say they hate when white people say that they "don't see color"? That's because it doesn't matter what you see. I know what I am. I'm a person of color, and my experiences and perspective are a product/consequence of that. You may not want to see color, but I have no choice in that I'm living as a person of color. So let's not pretend otherwise. See me.

Finally, if you're not LGBTQ (and you're clearly not), please dont assume that you know what is perjorative. I used the word queer bc I don't know if they're gay, bi, pan, or just fluid. All I know is they have posted about LGBTQ pride and talked about being in relationships with women. They may also date men, who knows? The word "queer" includes anyone who isn't straight.

I have friends from all over the spectrum and I don't know a single person who finds that term offensive if being used to sincerely describe the LGBT community, but thank you for being such a staunch advocate lol. This is rich coming during pride month btw lol.

Last edited:

So what? Most of us could care less, and it doesn't need to be part of the discussion. Apologize!

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Okay boomer.

Clearly Ava and Kennise care, or they wouldn't be so out and proud. It also is likely a big reason they chose Iowa -- having two queer coaches can be huge plus for young queer kids. I was remarking on whether they'll hit it off as roommates or not -- let's not pretend that this shared perspective will never come up.

What a lot of people on this board don't get is that there is NOTHING inappropriate about mentioning someone's sexuality. To gloss over it, pretend otherwise, act like it's a shameful secret, reminds me of how my parents always talked about my aunt's "roommate" before family functions. As an out and proud gay man, I remember those moments well. Those moments are at best cringe and at worst harmful. If Ava and Kennise are out and proud being their true selves, we should embrace and celebrate that. If a kid is out and proud, they want you to know it. There's no shame, no reason to gloss over anything.

Have you ever heard a person of color say they hate when white people say that they "don't see color"? That's because it doesn't matter what you see. I know what I am. I'm a person of color, and my experiences and perspective are a product/consequence of that. You may not want to see color, but I have no choice in that I'm living as a person of color. So let's not pretend otherwise. See me.

Finally, if you're not LGBTQ (and you're clearly not), please dont assume that you know what is perjorative. I used the word queer bc I don't know if they're gay, bi, pan, or just fluid. All I know is they have posted about LGBTQ pride and talked about being in relationships with women. They may also date men, who knows? The word "queer" includes anyone who isn't straight.

I have friends from all over the spectrum and I don't know a single person who finds that term offensive if being used to sincerely describe the LGBT community, but thank you for being such a staunch advocate lol. This is rich coming during pride month btw lol.

To many using the Q word is no different than the N word, but I doubt you really care. You seem in your own mind like you are some sort of expert on Iowa WBB and now other's sexual preference names.

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
To many using the Q word is no different than the N word, but I doubt you really care. You seem in your own mind like you are some sort of expert on Iowa WBB and now other's sexual preference names.
Okay well then you're right, the "Q word" is like the N word in that it originated maliciously to oppress marginalized communities, but have both been taken back by the communities they refer to. But the difference is the word Queer is used all over mass media (news, tv, movies, academia) in a positive way. Its not bleeped out. The word "queer" is not a bad word unless your world is so small that you've never known anyone who identifies as such OR you're afraid that by using the word you're acknowledging the existence of queerness.

• Love
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Okay well then you're right, the "Q word" is like the N word in that it originated maliciously to oppress marginalized communities, but have both been taken back by the communities they refer to. But the difference is the word Queer is used all over mass media (news, tv, movies, academia) in a positive way. Its not bleeped out. The word "queer" is not a bad word unless your world is so small that you've never known anyone who identifies as such OR you're afraid that by using the word you're acknowledging the existence of queerness.

lol

Well obviously since coach Jensen is married to a woman, but I think maybe its the word "queer" that seems abrasive. I think most people have come to grips with being gay, lesbians etc... but "queer" seems judgemental. Maybe its just me though...

Reactions: Whinny and BGHAWK
“…oppress marginalized communities…”

Good God.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Good god, I studied liberal arts at the University of Iowa and actually learned why the world is the way it is. And why people like you exist as well. This is basic anthropology / poli sci.
No, you were told the world is the way a certain professor presented it. And "why people like you exist" is a fabulously telling statement. I'm guessing you consider yourself in one or more of those "oppressed marginalized communities" you speak of.

No, you were told the world is the way a certain professor presented it. And "why people like you exist" is a fabulously telling statement. I'm guessing you consider yourself in one or more of those "oppressed marginalized communities" you speak of.
Lmao more like all my professors? Sorry about it. You go to college for a reason. You either grow and question why the world is the way it is or you bury your head in the sand.

I am very much a product of the University of Iowa which is an overwhelmingly progressive institution (as is the women’s basketball program :)). My classes interrogated systems of the world and challenged me to question my own place in it. That’s what college is for and it’s definitely what you learn at Iowa (not just in one class lol — try, well, almost all my classes?)

If you don’t like that, maybe cheer for Liberty University or something. Go be triggered on their message board where it’ll be far less ironic.

All this bc I simply mentioned the fact that our two freshman recruits are both queer and so they’re more likely to become friends. THAT is the most telling of all. It SCREAMS of a small town, don’t ask don’t tell, culture. Please do these kids (and our image) a favor and watch an episode of Drag Race or something to learn about the word queer. Get out of your bubble, it’s pride month after all! I promise you Ava Jones would love it if you did bc she is OUT and PROUD of who she is (so is Monika Czinano btw).

Last edited:
Not sure of the whole story here, but sounds like Amy is going thru something. i hope Ava is handling it okay being away from home.

Amy (the mom) had surgery on her leg on Wed June 14.

The grandmother wrote this: Amy was in surgery to remove hardware in her right leg and infection was found. She will have a PICC line and antibiotics for another 4-6 weeks.

What is a PICC line? From the Mayo Clinic:

A peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC), also called a PICC line, is a long, thin tube that's inserted through a vein in your arm and passed through to the larger veins near your heart. Very rarely, the PICC line may be placed in your leg.

A PICC line gives your doctor access to the large central veins near the heart. It's generally used to give medications or liquid nutrition. A PICC line can help avoid the pain of frequent needle sticks and reduce the risk of irritation to the smaller veins in your arms.

A PICC line requires careful care and monitoring for complications, including infection and blood clots.

A PICC line is one type of catheter used to access the large veins in your chest (central venous catheter). Examples of other types of central venous catheters include implantable ports and central lines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT