ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones Medically Retired on June 7, 2024. Plus Other Updates on Her & Her Family

Likely having to do with Rehab, medical appts ect. Ultimately that takes precedence. Then get her there for the games. Not needed for practice time.

The team flew from Albany to Cleveland, and I don't think she was in Albany or at any road games

Ava's Mom posted this on Apr 8 on her Facebook page:

This weekend was an amazing experience. We are so thankful for the opportunity to attend the Final 4.

The support Ava has received from the Iowa Women's Basketball team and University of Iowa staff is quite literally unbelievable.

While in Cleveland, Ava and I received love and encouragement from not only the Hawkeye fans but so many other basketball enthusiasts.

Of course I wish we could have seen Ava on the bench or even on the court this weekend, but thanks to Iowa and everyone who continues to support us through our recovery, we are able to make the best of a terrible situation.

434960231_1867364193708737_5891698480976240011_n.jpg

434919895_1867364227042067_5791694842761203525_n.jpg

434955220_1867364213708735_5685924024954632019_n.jpg

Drinking and driving should be automatic 3 months in jail for first offense. After that, a year, then 5

His ability to draw breath should be revoked

This story is from July, 2022. At that time, the judge "found probable cause for Michael Hurley, 33, to face charges of murder, first-degree assault, fourth-degree assault and operating a motor vehicle under the influence."

Note that there is video of the crash but as far as I know it hasn't been played publicly.

Hurley ran two red lights before he struck the family with his vehicle, according to the officer.

The video shows Hurley getting out of his vehicle after the crash, stepping over the family members several times without appearing to check on them and then sitting on the trunk of his vehicle, the officer testified.

Here's a nice 5 minute video (and printed story) on Hunter Jones, Ava's older brother, who is competing in the Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships. Hunter is a 4 time All-American. He competes in the decathlon, a two-day event, which begins tomorrow, May 23.

“My sister was a very talented basketball player, and she committed to Iowa a couple of days before the accident. And so I really have to credit a lot of what I have done and the things I do to seeing them not be able to do, do what they want,” explained Hunter. “And that I’m just grateful every day for being able to have the opportunity to pursue this.”

Link:

IMG_1769.jpeg

Hunter_Jones.jpg

track-1292023-2.jpg

TF_jones_hunter_action_011621.jpg

Last edited:
its amazing how people are still debating on whether she should be on scholarship
PLEASE, stop twisting whats been said. At NO point did anyone say that the University of Iowa should not keep her on scholarship or keep her involved with the team. Thats never been said. There are different types of scholarships, and you know that. I just don't for the life of me understand why if the doctors say she'll never be able to play, why she can't be on a medical, and all of her expenses be paid, and she can basically work with the team in some capacity. This is a medical decision. If the U of I doctors say, hey we think her progress is enough that she'll be able to play then great. That would be fantastic.

PLEASE, stop twisting whats been said. At NO point did anyone say that the University of Iowa should not keep her on scholarship or keep her involved with the team. Thats never been said. There are different types of scholarships, and you know that. I just don't for the life of me understand why if the doctors say she'll never be able to play, why she can't be on a medical, and all of her expenses be paid, and she can basically work with the team in some capacity. This is a medical decision. If the U of I doctors say, hey we think her progress is enough that she'll be able to play then great. That would be fantastic.

I don't believe I've seen the doctors say that she will never be able to play. They have said that the rehab will be extremely difficult and that the chances that she will return to form aren't great, but they haven't said that she can't play.

That's not the biggest reason though. The biggest reason to keep her on scholarship is that she wants to try to come back and play. She wants to do the rehab. She wants to put herself through that.

If she is willing to work hard in the rehab and continue to make progress, then she should absolutely be allowed to continue. As soon as she takes a different kind of scholarship, she no longer would be allowed to ever play for Iowa, per NCAA rule. What would be her driving force in the rehab if the reward at the end of the road was taken away??

Personally, I haven't seen anything where her doctors said she'll never play.
Read what I said. IF, the doctors said. Its a hypothetical. Bluder herself said she didn't think that Ava would be able to come back and play, and she said that publicly on more then one occasion.

Family with great athletic genes ho doubt. Does Hunter have a shot at the Olympics? Don't really follow track and field enough, (until the games of course) to know who the top decathletes are.....

You know it’s 100% off-season when topics like this enter/re-enter the chat.

Is @Franisdaman a paid Rivals employee that makes $ with each new forum or post? Good god.
Dude, the family has been through worse than hell, and they are finally finding things to cheer and be happy about. Frankly I have no problem with Fran or anyone else putting up “happy posts” like this about anyone on our Hawk teams but very least of all the Joneses.

Very sad that a DUI desecration caused this tragedy. Some posters on the OT board look past that as long as your political beliefs align together.

Today I am very sad to read this news. I had hoped and prayed that one day she would be able to work through all her injuries and lace them up for the Hawks. This young lady and her family have such determination and love. Ava, you will always be in my prayers, I wish nothing but great things for you and your family.

Today I am very sad to read this news. I had hoped and prayed that one day she would be able to work through all her injuries and lace them up for the Hawks. This young lady and her family have such determination and love. Ava, you will always be in my prayers, I wish nothing but great things for you and your family.

Ava became Hawkeye family the moment she committed. Lisa is all class for honoring her out of state scholarship & making sure Ava gets all the help that she needs so that she can succeed at Iowa.

I work on TBI in my lab. I wish Ava the best. TBI is a priority issue for many. The DOD is budgeting 250 million towards TBI for just this year.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I am simply disappointed that she had to medically retire for Iowa to be able to use her scholarship. Yes, I understand that it is a rule. But I also see complete anarchy with the current transfer portal and other issues where athletes basically can call their shots. To me it is heartless BS as even if it was a far fetched possibility for her to return to the court, I have to believe it was a crucial aspect of her road to recovery. The dream.

Exactly. I know it would be against the rules, but they need to make it happen. Take whatever penalty they dish out.
You realize that it may not be in HER best interest to do so correct? Without question the finality of her decision makes this a sad day, but as discussed earlier I think that her struggles are as much cognitive as physical. Other then just walking out on the court, it may not be safe for her to be out there. This is why she wasn't allowed to be on the bench as they were concerned she would not be able to respond quick enough either physically or mentally to a player or ball in her vacinity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT