ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones Medically Retired on June 7, 2024. Plus Other Updates on Her & Her Family

I think I know how this plays out...

At some point down the road, Ava will suit up for a game.
Bluder will arrange with the officials and an opposing HC to call a technical foul on said HC. Ava will come off the bench and shoot the FTs.
Of course, if there's some rule that the shooter must already be on the court, that won't work.
So Plan B...an Iowa player fakes an injury after a hard foul.and can't continue. Ava enters and shoots FTs and then subs back out.
Could do the Nykesha Sales UConn treatment:

UConn scoring record controversy[edit]​

Sales left college as UConn's all-time leading scorer with 2,178 career points. She scored the record-breaking points as part of a staged controversial layup. Sales had suffered an injury that had essentially ended her collegiate career. UConn's next game (against Villanova University) began with Villanova permitting Sales to complete an uncontested layup; UConn then returned the favor, allowing Villanova to score (the game essentially began with a 2–2 score before serious play commenced).[10] UConn head coach Geno Auriemma felt bad that Sales did not already have the record, as he had made her sit on many occasions to avoid running up the score. The staged basket, while questioned in retrospect, was his attempt to make it up to her.[11] He contacted the previous record holder, Kerry Bascom, as well as Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese to ensure that the incident would not be a problem, although the media was, and to a degree continues to be, critical of the move. Sales's record would eventually be broken by Tina Charles.[12]

Thanks for sharing. Inspiring to see how far she has come. She has absolutely everyone in her corner cheering her on! What a great kid.

those single leg squats are supposed to be really good for the strengthening the muscle (quad and hammie) around the knee and for helping to prevent knee injuries as a result. it's a tricky exercise where you have to keep your balance as you squat down. ideally you want to go down to where your leg makes a 90 degree angle.

Reactions: VodkaSam
She is absolutely fabulous. Dedication, desire, I'd curl up in a corner if what happened to her happened to me

did you see the video of the dad getting wheeled into surgery? his organs were then donated. who knows how many lives he saved as a result of someone taking his.

both sons were there as they wheeled him in. I can't even imagine. I'd lose it. Meanwhile, their mom & sister were still in a coma.

did you see the video of the dad getting wheeled into surgery? his organs were then donated. who knows how many lives he saved as a result of someone taking his.

both sons were there as they wheeled him in. I can't even imagine. I'd lose it. Meanwhile, their mom & sister were still in a coma.
I didn’t know if I should “like” “love” or put the “anger face” in there. Her story invokes so many emotions.

those single leg squats are supposed to be really good for the strengthening the muscle (quad and hammie) around the knee and for helping to prevent knee injuries as a result. it's a tricky exercise where you have to keep your balance as you squat down. ideally you want to go down to where your leg makes a 90 degree angle.

I've started doing them and they will burn your quads.

Ava's mom, Amy, posted this on Monday, March 4, 2024.

Pretty powerful stuff.

292161013_10101966941765503_8631037132045422997_n.jpg

That video made me emotional. Truly inspiring. What a tough young lady. Go AVA. Best wishes.

That whole family has been through hell. The 2 sons watched as their dad was wheeled into surgery to harvest his organs. Amy and Ava wake up and get told their husband/dad didn't make it. And I can't even imagine the medical bills. Nevertheless, they just keep moving forward. Inspirational, indeed. ;)

All I will say is I don't think Bluder will ever force her to take a medical hardship. Ive changed my mind but she is effectively have to relearn her motor skills, and seems to be improving ever day, massive improvements and that was mid February. Give her 1 more year and she may be a deep bench player.

Last edited:
Likely having to do with Rehab, medical appts ect. Ultimately that takes precedence. Then get her there for the games. Not needed for practice time.

The team flew from Albany to Cleveland, and I don't think she was in Albany or at any road games

would have been cool if she could have flown one way to Cleveland and then with the team when returning to Iowa City

who knows; she might have been flying with family....

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I know there are no answers for such things, but when you see good people go through things like AJ and her family and then all of the $hitballs in the world living off of others and whathaveyou......

🤬

There is absolutely zero chance in hell that Bluder will ever...EVER...ask Ava Jones to give up her roster spot so that she can land a recruit. Zero. Totally zero.

If and when Ava decides to medically retire, it will entirely be her own decision.

Your comments are so gross and they reflect very poorly on all Hawkeye fans.

I think she will remain on full scholarship, too.

who knows where things will stand a year from now as she continues to make progress

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT