ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Football is BACK! 9 (8+1) Games in 9 Week Window w/ Oct 23/24 Start Date, which is Crucial w/ Dec 19 B1G Title Game & CFP Teams Revealed Dec 20

i think these very strong statements from Penn State, Michigan & Ohio State should have come on Aug 12, the day after the B1G canceled fall football.

Why is an October 10 start date so important?

First, it gives teams 28 days (4 weeks) from Saturday to prepare.

And, as you can see, there is not much wiggle room (NO bye weeks) to complete the 10 game season & be in the CFP if they start much later.

Oct 10--Game 1
Oct 17
Oct 24
Oct 31
Nov 7
Nov 14
Nov 21
Nov 28
Dec 5
Dec 12--Game 10

Dec 19--B1G Championship Game

Last edited:
Why is an October 10 start date so important?

First, it gives teams 28 days (4 weeks) from Saturday to prepare.

And, as you can see, there is not much wiggle room (NO bye weeks) to complete the 10 game season & be in the CFP if they start much later.

Oct 10--Game 1
Oct 17
Oct 24
Oct 31
Nov 7
Nov 14
Nov 21
Nov 28
Dec 5
Dec 12--Game 10

Dec 19--B1G Championship Game

Do 8 games. Not sure 10 is the magic number.

James Franklin & Ryan Day have spoken out today.

Its time to hear from the Captain.

The reason Warren can't give the coaches and players answers, reasons, and there is a lack of vision is because the decision to cancel the fall season is being shown to be more and more indefensible every day. With every football game that gets played in college and the NFL the Big Ten looks dumber and dumber.

The Big 12 clearly has things figured out. The B1G can't even figure out how to play league only games.

One sports writer called the B1G canceling fall football the biggest blunder in sports history. I can't disagree.

ISU fans will be watching their team play football tomorrow. Iowa fans will be praying for 9 "yes" votes.

Reactions: Fsanford
Really good column from the Chicago Tribune.

Some excerpts:

...You should know Warren is a man of substance with a strong moral compass. But he wildly miscalculated the reaction to canceling the 10-game schedule he unveiled six days earlier.

Did Warren think the ACC would follow the Big Ten’s decision and that the Big 12 and SEC would then be pressured to pull the plug? Was Warren aiming to be a national leader rather than a follower?

A vote on whether to restart is coming but no earlier than Sunday, a source said, and more likely next week.

Conference presidents need answers from the medical subcommittee of the Return to Competition Task Force that addresses four issues related to COVID-19:

1) rapid testing;
2) contact tracing;
3) heart issues;
4) the surge in cases in some Big Ten states and on several campuses.

As you will read,
a source inside the Big Ten called the league “a divided house” (being kind) and “a circus” (less kind).

The full column:

Last edited:
My question is why was this put to a vote in the first place? Did Warren drive it? Did one, or more of the Presidents request the vote? Was this a regularly scheduled meeting and playing, or not put on the agenda?

I don't think they're going to vote again. I think spring football will be the last remaining option available.

I hope that I'm wrong on that.
I hope they don't play in spring then, as a big **** YOU to Warren and the Presidents. So many more players will opt out to the point that teams may not even have a full roster.

What will the BOP/C be voting on? Just because there is going to be another vote doesn't mean they are deciding to start in mid October. It could be they are voting to start at Thanksgiving. Hell as bad as they have handled everything up to this point, they could be voting just to uphold the original vote.

The whole thing has just been a huge cluster.

This is completely screwed up. HS Football is being played with regulations and school is in session with regulations. How can a money conference like the Big 10 not have the resources to play? and do it safely? It is totally political.

My question is why was this put to a vote in the first place? Did Warren drive it? Did one, or more of the Presidents request the vote? Was this a regularly scheduled meeting and playing, or not put on the agenda?
in the column, there were similar questions.

Did Warren think the ACC would follow the Big Ten’s decision and that the Big 12 and SEC would then be pressured to pull the plug?

Was Warren aiming to be a national leader rather than a follower?

Holy crap.

First, we need to convince the idiots to vote again.

And second, we have to overwhelm 6 University Presidents with what will be done to keep athletes safe in order to flip their votes.

Big Ten medical subcommittee to present options for possible return of football in fall

September 11, 2020; 5:01 PM CT
  • Heather Dinich
  • Adam Rittenberg

The Big Ten medical subcommittee will present new testing programs Saturday to a subcommittee of conference presidents and chancellors, outlining options that weren't available when the Big Ten postponed the 2020 season last month, conference sources told ESPN.

The Big Ten's subcommittee, which is comprised of medical experts and athletic directors, will show eight of the 14 presidents and chancellors at least four rapid response antigen tests now on the market that could allow teams to test daily and significantly decrease the amount of necessary contact tracing.

"It's light years different than it was five weeks ago,"
one conference source said.

If the subcommittee of presidents and chancellors approves the report, it can call a full board meeting for a second presentation to the entire group for a vote, but it's also possible both groups have more questions and send the athletic directors and medical experts back to work.

"When I think I have an answer, the next day, there's a whole different discussion," a second Big Ten source said. "That's why it's been so hard, and everyone's so frustrated. You've got 14 guys, and everyone wants what's best for them. That's where you need someone to stand up and say, 'No, this is what we're going to do.'"

If the presidents and chancellors give the green light to return to play, the earliest realistic scenario is still at least a month away, the first source said, which would mean mid-to-late October.
It would still depend on how quickly the presidents and chancellors approve the return, along with which test the conference chooses, and how quickly it can have the supplies.

"We want to make sure all of these [testing] possibilities can deliver," the first source said.

The teams would also still need some semblance of a preseason to physically prepare. Sources throughout the league have told ESPN there's a sense the Big Ten has one more chance to get it right.

"Someone's got to be strong and make a decision," the second source said. "Put a nail in it, put a pin in this thing and let's go."

The Big Ten postponed its fall sports season, including football, on Aug. 11. The league's presidents and chancellors voted 11-3 to postpone, with only Nebraska, Ohio State and Iowa electing to proceed forward with competition, sources told ESPN.

A Pac-12 source told ESPN on Friday the league is in communication with the Big Ten, but the Pac-12's timeline remains dependent on several factors, including governmental approval to return to campus in California and Oregon. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has said he has spoken to Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren with the hopes they could align their return, but conceded it "may or may not work out."

"It'll be a reduced schedule, but it needs to be meaningful," Scott told ESPN's Rece Davis on College GameDay. "We need to be able to play for a Pac-12 championship. And if, at the end of that, there could be some exciting postseason opportunities -- Rose Bowl, other big bowl games -- that would really be exciting to our student-athletes and our coaches.

"Whether we could start late November, early December, we'll have to figure out," he said. "It's got something to do with our public health authorities in California and Oregon saying it's OK and blessing it; and our football working group is gonna get at this next week. This all came together very quickly; the fact that we've got access to this testing opens up possibilities we didn't have before."

Last edited:
I hope they don't play in spring then, as a big **** YOU to Warren and the Presidents. So many more players will opt out to the point that teams may not even have a full roster.

100% with Frosty on this one, which is crazy because go back to pre-COVI D times and ask me "Something crazy happens and the B1G can't play a fall football season, but they can play the following spring. Are you onboard with this?" My answer would have been a no-brainer "Ab-so-f***ing-lutely. Late college football beats no college football every time. Plus, it might be interesting to watch a spring season. Could be cool."

But now... after all that's happened since Aug 11, 2020, I hate the idea. Would I watch it? Of course. Without question. Hawks for life.

That said:

1. F Kevin Warren
2. It won't mean anything because 3/5 Power 5 conferences will be done (an unfathomable thought 10 months ago)
3. Draft eligible players will opt out left and right, leaving a diluted product
4. Puts Iowa at a disadvantage for the 2021 fall season (especially if there were to be any major injuries)
5. F Kevin Warren

100% with Frosty on this one, which is crazy because go back to pre-COVI D times and ask me "Something crazy happens and the B1G can't play a fall football season, but they can play the following spring. Are you onboard with this?" My answer would have been a no-brainer "Ab-so-f***ing-lutely. Late college football beats no college football every time. Plus, it might be interesting to watch a spring season. Could be cool."

But now... after all that's happened since Aug 11, 2020, I hate the idea. Would I watch it? Of course. Without question. Hawks for life.

That said:

1. F Kevin Warren
2. It won't mean anything because 3/5 Power 5 conferences will be done (an unfathomable thought 10 months ago)
3. Draft eligible players will opt out left and right, leaving a diluted product
4. Puts Iowa at a disadvantage for the 2021 fall season (especially if there were to be any major injuries)
5. F Kevin Warren
Hell, not just draft-eligible players. I could see guys opting out of a spring season just to save their bodies. These people who legitimately think they can play 22+ games in a 12 month calendar have zero clue of the toll football takes on someone's body.

Reactions: hawktrooper1
That’s also true, Frosty, especially if it were to count as two seasons of eligibility in one calendar year. If I’m a redshirt frosh or sophomore who’s going to see major playing time and is on track to be an NFL player in 2-3 years, I’d rather sit out the spring and keep that year of eligibility in my back pocket.

Which leads me to a question: If there is a season (either this fall, winter or spring) and a player elects to sit out (someone who isn’t going pro right away but will be returning to the team) do they have to redshirt? Or is their a free pass right now?

Of the 11 Presidents who voted "no," I wonder which 6 can be flipped?

I never thought I would say I miss Jim Delany....but I miss Jim Delany.

I’ve been seeing tons of comments like this about Delaney. Did you despise him back then?

My memory is short here (likely because I never gave too much thought to it). But did B1G fans WANT him gone while he was The Commish? Or just think he was a dick? Because I remember having nothing but “Dude is a dick but a powerful dick who gets shit done” respect for the guy. Always seemed to me that he was great for the B1G and instrumental in maintaining the power and influence of the conference, even during that stretch of years when the National narrative was that the B1G was tO$U + a bunch of scrubs and the Buckeyes were getting embarrassed in the NC game every other year. Even then Delaney kept the B1G at the head of the table. Dude was a boss. And yes, we could use him right now.

Of the 11 Presidents who voted "no," I wonder which 6 can be flipped?

I never thought I would say I miss Jim Delany....but I miss Jim Delany.
Michigan and Illinois schools are solid no's. Along with Rutgers and probably Maryland.

So you have to get PSU, Indiana schools,Minnesota,Wisconsin. PSU and the Indiana schools probably flip easily. Actually surprised PSU wasn't with the other 3 the first time around. Minnesota and Wisconsin are probably 50/50. Leaves Maryland may be a hard sell. This is why I never got to excited.

Last edited:
There are those in high places in the University systems across the country that have always been jealous of the attention athletics is given especially the financial support. I think they see this as a time to put athletics in their place behind academics.

There are those in high places in the University systems across the country that have always been jealous of the attention athletics is given especially the financial support. I think they see this as a time to put athletics in their place behind academics.
Sad thing is they never see the big picture. Athletics are their best advertisement. Pre Saban Alabama wasn't considered much academically. Now they are on the same level as an Iowa or MSU and 3rd best in the SEC. It's not Stanford or Northwestern but a major improvement from what they were.

The problem is the disclosure from the lawsuits. The information is going to come out and according to their own filings will do damage if released. What could possibly be damaging if what they were discussing is medical issues and safety of student athletes as well as fans and staff.

What in that discussion if done in good faith could be damaging to the conference? Seems like an odd defense to disclosure

Sad thing is they never see the big picture. Athletics are their best advertisement. Pre Saban Alabama wasn't considered much academically. Now they are on the same level as an Iowa or MSU and 3rd best in the SEC. It's not Stanford or Northwestern but a major improvement from what they were.

Alabama spent a ton of money on scholarships to attract top students. If you are national honor society you get a scholarship as an example.

You wonder if they’re looking at long term. Eventually big time D1 football and basketball will probably break away from colleges (this experience could well instigate the process).
I would be shocked if D1 football and basketball are still “amateur” and linked to college in ten years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT